Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
... but yes, in fact I do believe that indirectly , the spotlight that has been shown on the clubs resourcing and the member backlash has lead to changes that would not otherwise have been made ...

This is correct, in my opinion. With Barrett's resignation, it really did throw a spanner in the works. I believe Penn's first call would have been to promote Cartwright but I'd imagine enough people got in his ear about that idea so then he chased Maguire - but that fell through at the first hurdle.. and at that point there wasn't much in the way of talent out there. It was a coin toss between Tooves and Des.

You must of missed the part where I said I don't know ... but yes, in fact I do believe that indirectly , the spotlight that has been shown on the clubs resourcing and the member backlash has lead to changes that would not otherwise have been made ..

Conanu ..... you have been around a while ... can you place your hand on your heart and tell me that you honestly believe Penn would have resurrected Dessie if he hadn't been forced screaming and kicking to that point ....

and old mate .... I will never just get on board or go with the consensus just to make friends .......

I never thought I would say it, but I actually really like that reply, your getting soft in your old age ha ha. Fair play to you mate, it can never be said that you don't stick solid to your convictions, at the very least has to be admired and respected. I am actually looking forward to us all being happy with the coach for a change at least until the first round anyway. (I hope it isn't Cartwrong or that idea may not happen).

To answer your question though, No I don't think he would have at all. However I won't attribute the change to Barrett, more so that it was inevitable.

I actually think Penn is in the process of offloading the club and it is actually the person that is buying the club that is calling the shots. Because it is the only way it makes sense that there has been such a huge about face from the bloody minded ruthlessness that got us here in the first place. Either that or he knew he was going to lose a shed load of cash if members didn't renew.

Last edited:
I actually think Penn is in the process of offloading the club and it is actually the person that is buying the club that is calling the shots. Because it is the only way it makes sense that there has been such a huge about face from the bloody minded ruthlessness that got us here in the first place. Either that or he knew he was going to lose a shed load of cash if members didn't renew.

I am actually hoping that after a decade he has finally come to the conclusion he sucks at running a football club and that #Gormanthe memberWhisperer has told him to go back to the states ..... cancel his email account ....... and let him run the circus ..... or sell it whichever comes first .....

Ex CEO Grant Mayer said this on Twitter last night, words something like “ there would have had to be major peacepipes smoked by the Penn’s to even see Des’s name mentioned in the same breath as Manly over the last few weeks and wouldn’t be the case if ANY other decent coach was available “.

Interesting don’t you think?

What on earth did Tooves do to piss off the ownership group to this extent? Surely there must be more to it than the whole Quantum factional war and Glenn Stewart.

What on earth did Tooves do to piss off the ownership group to this extent? Surely there must be more to it than the whole Quantum factional war and Glenn Stewart.
Des is a better coach than Tooves. I love Tooves but Des is just better at coaching. Tooves inherited the side that Des put together with the same game plan and he was 20 minutes away from winning a premiership.

Having said that, I do hope that Tooves comes back to the club in some capacity.

It wouldn't have taken much to piss them off considering how they have managed the club to this point, they have shown to be extremely petty at times. I am sure he let fly and probably said plenty that he regrets. It is just unfortunate for Tooves that they own the place at the moment. Would be great if Hasler could somehow mend these many fractured relationships, it would be great way for him to redeem himself. I will just be happy if he gets the joint humming again.

Other key point is that any specific terms and clauses in Baz "s renewed contract arrangement were not made public to the best of my understanding , so i guess that we are all just speculating to a large degree what may or may not had conditions or timelines or whatever included . However still definitely think that Baz "s reasons and justification for tendering his resignation and basically spitting the dummy in the process was on pretty flimsy and weak grounds and more excuse and blame game related with the way the team was going at that stage and some of his questionable coaching practices and tactics Again taking into account that behind the scenes , other personal were still conducting normal and necessary player negotiation and retention , recruiting and other normal activities with or with out Baz "s input .. Club training amenities and facilities hardly a reason for complaint also accordingly . Anyway , really can not give too much concession on this subject and am just about done on the matter but will certainly concede that you are more entertaining and colorful and persuasive then i will most likely ever be on this site . Also concede that you would be a natural and quite persuasive as an advocate for any organization , political spin doctor or defence lawyer but would qualify that complimentary gesture by also suggesting that you are or would not always be right with your opinions

We all know Twent was in way above his head and the only way to save face was to bring up all the crap about facilities and the like, and that's why he's fighting for his pay, he knows there 's nowhere to go from here except a jim's lawn mowing franchise, and that's why he needs the money..

It will surely be curious times. If Des is appointed culture and discipline will be some of the first things he will address i assume. He will look to make his mark early.

If we believe any media, the turbos , cherry and marty all have had something to say about coaches, the team , themselves , other players. Not very concise but i hope you get my drift.

The season will kick off and most of the squad is young, wide eyed and will no doubt tow the line. Then in January the rep players and the biggest personalities will return to a squad that will have DESMONDS LAW stamped all over it. Im sure by then the players will be ringing eachother to find out the goss, the feeling and the lay of the land and will return with a pre conceived idea good or bad

I would love to be a fly on the wall the first week the rep players return for duty.

I think the turbos will be fine and will love it. Not sure on the other 2 though.
I wonder if he'll revert to his teaching days and bring back the cane.

There's no doubt that the Penns have gone into major scrambling damage control after Madge told them to shove it. I think they've ginally gone "here Lyall sort this sh*t out" and the fan/club faithful pressure has resulted in this development. Lyall has realised if they appoint another outsider that there'll be mass membership decline. They're DESperate alright to be considering the long haired one. In fact if Toovey comes back too then they are literally in panic mode.

I think the voices of the fans are really starting to ring in the Penns ears. The Penns and Des may not still not get along, but in the end, its now about business.

If the fans are cancelling/not renewing memberships, and who knows, maybe some sponsors are voicing their displeasure, the Penns have no choice but to act against their desire. Alot of fans are of the opinion that Manly needs a Manly coach (which is sound logic given our historical results). I agree, that this could be Gorman steering the ship after Madge's negotiation broke down.

Let's not forget Des' relationship with the board was strained during his previous tenure, so I don't see him caring if he isnt besties with the Penns.

What would be most telling is, if Des is announced, if its Gorman, and not Scott that makes the press conference announcement.

There is only 1 announcement I want to see Scott Penn front and centre at.

"For sale".

Let Gorman deal with the footy operations side, it is what he does best.

So you were taught by him as well. He was my year 8 PE teacher at coombabah high. What do you think about all this stuff that’s come up now about him
He and his twin brother Paul Dawson used to be a regular second row pairing for the Newtown i st grade Jets back in the mid 70 "s or so . Forget which one was the better performed player but they both went O K from memory .

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8