Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m worried for koroisau and taupau’s natural game or position in the team.

Towards the end of Hasler’a reign at the bulldogs, the team never offloaded and Licha wasn’t allowed to use his running game.

I'm more worried about the future of the club and Des or Toovey were the only options. No 1 get's to play their natural game they have to fit in to a team structure or you end up with a team like we had this year doing what they wanted.

If the Penns pull this one off and bring back des, donny and Ballin then ive gotta admire the fact they swallowed their pride and allowed it to happen. It would go along way for us fans and members healing the wounds that have been created these past few years. Not forgotten but forgiven. BUT what we need is this kind of commitment and desire to keep manly great for years to come.

Manly forgive old wounds to reunite with former coach Des Hasler
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
27 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THAT Des Hasler is just days away from being announced as Manly coach, on a three-year deal, shows where both the coach and the club are.

Twelve months ago it was impossible. Three months ago unthinkable.

Now, not only is it plausible, but such is their drop in stock it almost seems necessary.

Their marriage of inconvenience is expected to be announced by the end of the week with the popular tip is that if they cannot get the deal done by then, then it won’t be done.

Each needs the other.

f61c4f2f807f5011f892085740fe2250

Des Hasler’s looming return has surprised everyone. (Gregg Porteous)
MORE NEWS

CHILDHOOD WOES: Why Thurston nearly gave it all away

Hasler is considering a deal worth $700,000, or almost half what he was paid at Canterbury.

Manly are bringing back the coach they blame for sending the club spiralling down the ladder and who, at one point now apparently in the past, they swore never to forgive.

The Sea Eagles, asleep at the wheel, blame Hasler for some of the contracts that were signed at Manly once he knew he was leaving the Sea Eagles to join Canterbury, which ultimately cost them quality players.

It blew up spectacularly on replacement coach Geoff Toovey, forced to plug the dam wall until he finally ran out of fingers in his fourth and last season.

1f84d05c8c047780ecf59a0e791e4ada

The Dogs couldn’t wat for Hasler’s strategy to pay off. (Stephen Cooper)
Hasler’s return to Manly underlines once again that the one great forgivable in rugby league is winning.

Manly need to win, not just for the future of their football team but also possibly for the future of the club.

Crowd figures are down, sponsors are walking away and the club is limping into a future in which it might struggle to maintain pace.

Hasler needs it because he has burned inside since being sacked from Canterbury and blamed relentlessly and exclusively for the Bulldogs’ salary cap problems.

He was a convenient scapegoat, silent and visible, for others who were also culpable.

So he comes back with a few scores to settle and each gets what the other provides.

be04c5f89735f9c7fe354111838b9d3a

Manly at least know they’re getting finals talent. (Mark Evans)
Manly have the best coach for the money they are prepared to spend.

Hasler, an opportunity to redeem his reputation, and so is willing to accept the club’s skinny budget to show he can still coach.

The soap opera of rugby league is Australian sport’s greatest gift. There is never a moment when it is boring.

In the end, Hasler was an ill-fit at Canterbury.

Much of Hasler’s success over the years came through his clever manipulation of the salary cap, most famously with his back-ended deals.

There were few cattle traders in the game like him.

It delivered success at Manly, a club with limited third parties to help retain or attract marquee players.

Back-ended deals are a dance with the devil. Their problem is the roster has to be in constant motion, heading off the problem before it arrives.

f8c182674883498586895b31ed103eea

ad840b3405e3bfadc50f8376f9824170

Wigan crowned Super League champions
Hasler backed his ability to cattle trade his players out of the club before the final and most expensive season bit too hard and he did it wonderfully for years at Manly.

The Bulldogs failed to trust Hasler to see out his plan, though, confused by the team’s inability to score with the roster available, and Hasler was let go at the worst possible time for him and the club.

The Dogs sacked him just when they needed him.

Hasler’s reputation was damaged, some say permanently, and the Dogs were incapable of offloading the players Hasler had earmarked and instead were forced to get rid of prized assets Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods.

The back-ended deals, though, were why it is so hard to imagine Hasler returning to Manly, which he surely will.

7fdbaac4466be9583560de1858a68430

Something has to change for Manly. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
On Monday morning Hasler met his agent George Mimis at The Avenue on George Cafe in the city while media waited outside Mimis’s office in east Sydney. Spread out on the table in front of him were Mimis’s notes on the Manly offer.

Hasler flew in from holidays just the night before and this was his first look at the Sea Eagles’ proposal.

Most of the formalities in the standard contract negotiations were irrelevant. There is no need to check out facilities, go through the roster, discover preferences.

Hasler knows Manly and Manly know Hasler.

The deal marked the end of many troubling months for Hasler, where at different points it looked like he might never again get a head coaching job in the NRL.

Now, the offer on the table, quite literally, there was a sense he was back.

And then when it was announced the coffee was on the house, well …
At times that article was almost incoherent.
Like it was written in 5 minutes.
I think Kent should pay attention to his own work than focusing on anyone else's negatives.

Penn’s assertion that he wants a top 4 finish every year, if Des returns, was unhelpful.

Penn should look at his under-resourcing of the club, high staff turnover, bullying, backstabbing and to top it off, the lack of any sort of viable strategic direction (rather than 40-storey towers looming over Pittwater Road) as some of the key ingredients in our sad decline. Therefore he should cut the coach some slack and start financing the club properly, or sell to someone who will.

On the evidence as a football team owner, he makes a very good weight loss mogul.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, it was a done deal 3 weeks ago if you want to believe the Chinese whispers from the Shire. Gorman told the kid in the pizza shop who told his dad who told me.
I thought he lives up north, why drive south for a pizza?

Watch this. And try your hardest not to either;

A) Forgive the man who had KPA's inserted into his coaching performance unexpectedly and mid year, before winning the 2011 competition and then taking the club he coached the next year to the minor premiership and grand final.

B) Feel how good it is to be a manly supporter and part of a club that doesn't look outside their own. Barret and Sharp were a mistake. Lowe was okay when their was strong manly leadership.

Bring on 2019!

One still pic at 4 min 08 sec is the reason I'd welcome Desmond's return. Voss hailing our bloke as the champion and Bellamy standing by with a sour look on his face. I like that. :finger:

I was fairly anti-Des after he left but he gets teams in good places for shots at titles. Just let him coach, not contract manage and burn up all that KPI horse**** that's impossible to meet

Shame some of young talent such as Tom Wright and Anderson have lingered in the reserves and been shipped out before Des returns (if it happens).
I bet he would have used them instead of powers like Matt Wright and Poo Brown....

Love the Dt and their 'Treading a fine line' between what was actually said and what they print.

Example 1.

Scott Penn reveals top four demand as Des Hasler’s Manly return looms
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph

MANLY chairman Scott Penn has declared he is happy to work with Des Hasler as long as the former Sea Eagles mentor can fulfill the club’s goal of a top-four finish every season.

Then Buried away towards the bottom is the get out of jail card:

“If Des can deliver our objective, and that is being a top-four contender every year, then, of course, we would be interested,” Penn told The Sunday Telegraph

So which is it Matty? He has to get top 4 every year or at least be a top 4 contender because there is a fair bit of a difference there. Really there is!

Example 2.

Manly forgive old wounds to reunite with former coach Des Hasler

Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph

Their marriage of inconvenience is expected to be announced by the end of the week with the popular tip is that if they cannot get the deal done by then, then it won’t be done.

Expected by who? whos popular tip are you running with Paul? The bloke that runs the kebab house on the Corso? and so by Friday if it's not done then that's it yeah? I guess it's like our salary cap case that was due to be wound up by round 4 2018????

So Actually you have told us nothing we don't already know...

Thanks, Kenty....

Absolutely correct, with a full off season with Donny in charge and an actual coach mentoring, maybe Suli can deliver!
I am hopeful that Des will improve all our playing roster.
Des is a Manly man . When we have Manly people at our club every one feels at home .
We were all cut and very disappointed when Des left and although he left a villain , He also left Victorious !!! .
Hasler stamped his mark at our club as a Hero , winning premierships as a player and a coach under the most volatile board in the history of the NRL and Haslers resilient character proved supreme as he always flew under the radar and the club politics did not faze him . Nothing stops great people from achieving .
Des left for the mighty dollar and now he is back with the mighty Manly .
The prodigal son is back . Welcome back to the nest Des

Last edited:
Make no mistake about it Des is a very good coach. I have a lot more faith in him getting improvement out of our young players with potential. Just wait to see how the Turbos, Kelly and players like Suli and Parker come along under his guidance. At least you know they’ll be fitter and more mentally strong (a big factor in athlete types).

People who say he stopped Lichaa from running only need to look at his form this season. The man got Josh Reynolds a blues jumper.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8