HASLER ... fighting to keep his job.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't understand why any contract would stipulate KPIs such as "you have to finish in the top eight to hold your job..."
There are so many variables that are out of a coach's control, such as injuries, Covid, Pride jerseys, referee bias, off-field incidents...
Why wouldn't a contract simply say: "you are employed for the next 2/3years or until the Board decides otherwise"?
Mr Penn was dumb to ever utter the words" It's a results-driven business". If only someone would hold him accountable!

My personal view on Hasler though is I was a bit unsure when he came back and a bit unsure now.

He certainly is a good coach, but whether the game has moved past him in terms of his ability to adapt and evolve I'm not sure.

At this stage I think better the devil you know but he isn't untouchable in my eyes.

I'll have to read the article.

From the quote you have it seems to me that the automatic extension wont be applied (the one for making the 8 this year). Nothing about an extension itself being quashed.

Reads more as lets get to the table and talk extension rather than just triggering a KPI extension that wasnt met.

Buuuut I should probably read the article.

Yes, it is as you guessed .... but you would think that if he was in favour ... they would not want him to be in his last year without a contract ... they would lock him up as quickly as possible ....

??? Who

You talking Sione Fainu who couldn't get a run here and can't get a run at the Tigers?

Or Taupau who has been told he is not in our future plans and saw an opportunity for a longer contract

No, not Fainu or Taupau who sought early releases or even Cust or Taufua who also did (for their own reasons). In fact, I won't even include Green or Kelly, because they weren't who I first thought.of, or Thompson who elected not to enact his extension. I was thinking more about AFB, and how we literally got no replacement at the time.

But no, not the players you've suggested.

I don't understand why any contract would stipulate KPIs such as "you have to finish in the top eight to hold your job..."

I mean in doesn't though, it is you have to finish top to get an automatic extension.

We can and likely still will extend him.

This is incorrect
Sorry , it was Souths, Broncos and Melbourne !

I was actually going off commentary , where they said worst ever defeat, but that was at the particular grounds they were playing at. Not overall.

Thanks for making it look even worse for him, for starters haha, I appreciate you helping me prove my point.

No, not Fainu or Taupau who sought early releases or even Cust or Taufua who also did (for their own reasons). In fact, I won't even include Green or Kelly, because they weren't who I first thought.of, or Thompson who elected not to enact his extension. I was thinking more about AFB, and how we literally got no replacement at the time.

But no, not the players you've suggested.

So AFB then....thats your unprecendent requests for releases?

Great player, but we had 1.3mil plus tied up in him and Taupau, something had to give and he had a buyer.

Fact is of the above AFB is the only one that would make our 17 next year.....maybe you could argue Kelly against Parker or Harper but he is in and out of the Titans team running dead last.....

So AFB then....thats your unprecendent requests for releases?

Great player, but we had 1.3mil plus tied up in him and Taupau, something had to give and he had a buyer.

Fact is of the above AFB is the only one that would make our 17 next year.....maybe you could argue Kelly against Parker or Harper but he is in and out of the Titans team running dead last.....
Honest question mate, why are.you making an excuse for absolutely anything and everything ? Do you WANT change here ? We ARE playing the last.placrd Titans, and I think it'll be a bloody close game tbh.

I've just listed (in a round about way):
Fainu, Taufua, Taupau, Green, Kelly, Cust, AFB (and there would have been more), and your response to AFB requesting a release is that the club wanted it because of cap restraints ? Wow mate.

I know you love the club - VERY MUCH. Maybe Manase should have enlisted you as his counsel. By the time the court heard everyone's testimonies, they'd be sending Manase to England to receive his knighthood.

I have heard that Mestrov won't ever consider any staff member to be completely "safe". Whether our CEO actually has any power or is just a puppet on the end of Penn's string, I don't know.

I don't know what the answer is with a replacement coach either. I disagree with the short-sighted suggestions of throwing in an untried coach Cronk or even Ciraldo. The reality is that for every Fitzgibbon, you are going to have a Justin Holbrook, Anthony O'Brien, Trent Barrett etc etc.
Let’s hope the first sentence of your post stands strong and Tony starts repairing our once proud club. I guess only time will tell, because looking from the outside in at the moment, it isn’t pretty and I have the feeling it’s worse on the inside.

Re the replacement coach statement, I guess we will get to see how Ciraldo goes at the dogs next year, at least they are moving on from the mess Des left behind and from that other useless twat that did his best to destroy our club. The Dogs have invested heavily in their recruitment, head of footy and now a new coach, if I was a fan, at least I could sense the club was moving mountains to make a difference.

I feel like we are now well and truly heading down the same pathway Des lead the Dogs down, things feel very stale, our lack of recruitment, overall professionalism and direction in terms of adapting to the modern up tempo footy both with the ball and without it are poor. I’m not sure Des is or will be the answer, either as our coach or as head of football, I feel his lost touch with the pace of the game, perhaps also from a generational perspective, the youth of today are more self entitled than ever before and for mine Des is very old school, I feel he plays favourites and let’s personality clashes interfere with his decisions. I respect that Des has achieved everything in the game and acknowledge his place in the both the game and our clubs history, even though I still find it hard to leave out what happened at the end of 2011.

I guess the club has 2 choices, either stick with Des and hope he leads us back to our glory days and not down the same path he took the Dogs or we take a pro active approach to freshening up and rebuilding our once proud club. Living in fear of signing another dud coach shouldn’t mean we stick with the under performing one we have, sure there’s risks, but Cronulla, the Cowboys, the Panthers, even the Donkeys and the vermin should tell you a different story. I just hope we don’t stick with the current set up and end up like Newcastle, the Titans and to a lesser extent but still on a similar pathway St merge and the The Raiders. I see Sticky, Des, and Hook as past it and heading into Holbrook and O’Brien territory, I think it’s well and truly time to seriously reassess and if that means being honest and putting the broom through the place then so be it, because its sure as sh!t not looking good at the moment and before anyone goes hanging their hat on 21, don’t bother.

I guess Des has next year to prove he can make a difference, he has to do it with pretty much the same roster, if we under achieve next year, I personally hope we clean the joint out and take the pro active approach, beginning with a new coach, new assistant coach, new head of football and something positive in the way of recruitment. As a life long supporter, it just doesn’t feel all that great at present and like all of us, I just want us back in contention to win not just a premiership but premierships, play finals footy and be a consistently serious footy side.

Last edited:
Where there's smoke. Lets see how the next 4 games play out. If the players are with him then they will lift. Selections, management of injured / sick players and game management of the bench have IMO been disappointing. It been a very ordinary season and there are still four games to go. The old we can't find somebody better sounds like an unhappy marriage to me.

It's not like their are great coaches out there just waiting to be snapped up. The really good ones are all tied up on big money deals and locked in for the foreseeable future. Des is going to be with Manly for a while yet.

Which ... is exactly why allowing your coach to be unsigned is telling .... if good coaches are in demand ....why was he not extended ....

Which ... is exactly why allowing your coach to be unsigned is telling .... if good coaches are in demand ....why was he not extended ....
agree, it's puzzling to say the least. Nobody is sticking out like a beacon saying pick me, I'm ready to go.

I think its about right - Des/Manly performance has been up and down during his 2nd tenure. I think he's been walking the line where he's been neither great nor bad.

Let's see what next year brings. I have a feeling we'll improve but we are such an erratic footy team on and off the park who really knows.
A fair bit has to do with a certain players erratic hamstrings

I'm a fan of Des but to be point blank honest, I think he needs assistance in the modern game.
IF he accepts another voice is the problem, I reckon he could do well to have another voice from other angles adding input on the "speed" of the modern game, as we are well off the pace.
And I refer to both attack and defence....maybe a quality player who been involved more recently on the field - someone like Cronk could work well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7