Garrick

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's disappointing to lose but geez some of you are big on the knee jerk reactions without taking any context into consideration.

- Agree not Garrick's finest game

- Agree the goal kicking is frustrating because he can hit them so sweetly but it is a complete lottery because there is no finesse in his kicking. He does not guide the ball, he pummels it and if he is slightly off, he misses. Most good goal kickers put fade and draw on the ball and guide it towards the post; it means there is margin for slight error. With Garrick, it's all or nothing.

However...

- He should never have been made to take that 3rd tackle hit up. Where were the forwards? Outside backs take the first couple of carries but by the third tackle (remember there is a zero in there too), a prop should be ready to make a big carry. Garrick was smashed by two props and should never have been put in that position.

- He let the ball hang near the dead ball line because a repeat set would spell the end of any potential comeback. Whether it's a try or a repeat set really made no difference at that point in the match. We needed the ball. I am fine with his decision to roll the dice.

It's disappointing to lose but geez some of you are big on the knee jerk reactions without taking any context into consideration.

- Agree the goal kicking is frustrating because he can hit them so sweetly but it is a complete lottery because there is no finesse in his kicking. He does not guide the ball, he pummels it and if he is slightly off, he misses. Most good goal kickers put fade and draw on the ball and guide it towards the post; it means there is margin for slight error. With Garrick, it's all or nothing.

However...

- He should never have been made to take that 3rd tackle hit up. Where were the forwards? Outside backs take the first couple of carries but by the third tackle (remember there is a zero in there too), a prop should be ready to make a big carry. Garrick was smashed by two props and should never have been put in that position.

- He let the ball hang near the dead ball line because a repeat set would spell the end of any potential comeback. Whether it's a try or a repeat set really made no difference at that point in the match. We needed the ball. I am fine with his decision to roll the dice.
I appreciate your view; however, I simply don't believe he is a first grade quality winger. The context I look at is his performance over the entirety of last year and his performances this year, which went from atrocious to a few solid games which some people get carried away with because they are excited he hasn't had another shocker. He doesn't have any redeeming qualities on the field which overcome or offset his deficiencies.

Saab has some issues defensively; however, he has amazing speed and great height (which we are yet to fully utilise), which more than counter his negatives. There is real upside with him and he is improving. Garrick on the other hand, simply doesn't have anything that outweighs his failings. This appears to be as good as he will get, and as much as people would like him to become another Robbo, he simply isn't in his class and never will be.

People can blame the team as a whole for his performances, but other players don't make him have a loose grip on the ball so that it is stripped, or lose it in a tackle, or not attack the goal line when it is there for the taking. Time to move on in my opinion, but each to their own.

Last edited:
I appreciate your view; however, I simply don't believe he is a first grade quality winger. The context I look at is his performance over the entirety of last year and his performances this year, which went from atrocious to a few solid games which some people get carried away with because they are excited he hasn't had another shocker. He doesn't have any redeeming qualities on the field which overcome or offset his deficiencies.

Saab has some issues defensively; however, he has amazing speed and great height (which we are yet to fully utilise), which more than counter his negatives. There is real upside with him and he is improving. Garrick on the other hand, simply doesn't have anything that outweighs his failings. This appears to be as good as he will get, and as much as people would like him to become another Robbo, he simply isn't in his class and never will be.

People can blame the team as a whole for his performances, but other players don't make him have a loose grip on the ball so that it is stripped, or lose it in a tackle, or not attack the goal line when it is their for the taking. Time to move on, in my opinion, but each to their own.
Garrick definitely needs to be replaced as our winger/goal kicker in 2021. Our options for his replacement this season are not great. We can go back to the past and swap him out for Taufua. We all know the positives and negatives of doing that. We could bring in Tupiluto but I dont think he done enough at Blacktown yet to deserve it. Funa is another option but what more does he actually bring to the equation then Garrick? Do we bring Walker back (when fit) and move Parker or Harper to the left wing? None of these options are really inspiring me. Thoughts?

Garrick definitely needs to be replaced as our winger/goal kicker in 2021. Our options for his replacement this season are not great. We can go back to the past and swap him out for Taufua. We all know the positives and negatives of doing that. We could bring in Tupiluto but I dont think he done enough at Blacktown yet to deserve it. Funa is another option but what more does he actually bring to the equation then Garrick? Do we bring Walker back (when fit) and move Parker or Harper to the left wing? None of these options are really inspiring me. Thoughts?
I agree that is an issue. I believe that Koula is the one that needs to come in next year; however, I'd be willing to bring him in this year as cover if Garrick got injured.

I think Des is more likely to bring in Tuipulotu this year if a winger goes down. Injury is the only way Garrick gets replaced. Des simply will not drop him.

However...

Is Garrick a relative or something ?
Played poorly and being a footy forum everyone like yourself, deserves an opinion.
Not a knee jerk reaction, more an honest observation and there's zero doubt he will be on the radar of every opposition coach as a target and weakness in a much improved Manly side.

People can blame the team as a whole for his performances, but other players don't make him have a loose grip on the ball so that it is stripped, or lose it in a tackle, or not attack the goal line when it is their for the taking. Time to move on, in my opinion, but each to their own.
Perfectly put, he is nothing more than a body on the field that makes up a number, can't beat a tackle nor can he make one anywhere near the tryline. Time to move on, or he will cost us again and again in tight games where there is nowhere to hide and the weakest link from either side will be their downfall - unfortunately for us, noopposition fighting for the top 8 has anyone worse.

However...

I concur with all your three points.. with the latter, we really had no choice. They get the ball back via reset they still win the game. Also if u watch the highlights it is actually turbo who tells him not to play at it.. when they score u see Reuben's reaction and let's Tom know about it

Season stats according to NRL ..

Garrick 5 tries ... Saab 5 tries
Garrick 8 missed tackles ... Saab 26 missed tackles ..

Saab has a long way to go before becoming a complete footballer ...
Yeah the difference between Garrick’s tries and Saab’s tries is that anybody could’ve scored Garrick’s. Saab’s have been off the back of next level speed or his height. We ain’t scoring without that.

As I have said many times ... Saab may end up a complete footballer ... but at the moment

He is electric running with the ball in the clear ..
He is very good at defusing bombs ..

On the other hand ....

His defence is abysmal ... reading and execution ..
His tackling technique is lamentable ... 52% effective rate ..
His hit ups are embarrassing ...
and has one successful try from 9 kicks .. his timing and positioning are very poor ...

I repeat ... he is a long way off becoming a complete footballer ... I hope he makes it .
Those on the other hand stats were from his previous games
Those stats do not defy his performance against the Best team in the comp

Against the Benchmark Panthers Saab came of age and he had his best game of his NRL career and he was one of our best performers with his complete performance

The most promising stats that I find is that he has only played 15 NRL games and the best in yet to come from this natural athlete

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7