Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not sure if it is seibs or flanno or dymock but the distinct lack of venom in defence past two games is very dissapointing, game one was amazing, game 2 started well, then it dissapeared. Who do I blame for that?

Seibs still in the positive?

Personally I thought his first mistake was not replacing Johns with Weekes at 5/8th at half time.
The coaching team have done a great job.

Saturday was very disappointing as the team regressed back to a 2022 lazy plays.

What should hit us is in the face, is just how much better this team has looked up until playing the Knights.

The new coaches have clearly improved this this side.

Why the players regressed? And how they get 17 players back on track, it is this week's coaching dilemma.

Come on Manly. The effort areas tell so much. Line Speed. Hitting hard and hunting as a pack. Effort on Effort is needed. And that's not just in the one game boys.

Seibs still in the positive?

Personally I thought his first mistake was not replacing Johns with Weekes at 5/8th at half time.
His first mistake was picking Harper in the centres. His second mistake was not picking Lawton in the seventeen at all. Weekes into five-eight, with Lawton into the centres, would have made a massive difference to how that game played out. Johns on the bench with Bullemore, Keppie and Burbo would have been a smarter move than playing him at five-eight from the get-go. Long story short, he needs to pick our best players (in some cases out of position - Lawton, Weekes), and not choose our second-string players before them (Johns, Harper etc).

Last edited:
Not sure if it is seibs or flanno or dymock but the distinct lack of venom in defence past two games is very dissapointing, game one was amazing, game 2 started well, then it dissapeared. Who do I blame for that?

I was listening to a Croker interview and he said the extra venom in defence used up a lot of gas in the tank the reason we fell away at the end of the Parra game.
I guess we are trying to manage how long we can maintain that defensive intensity while playing a full 80 minutes

I was listening to a Croker interview and he said the extra venom in defence used up a lot of gas in the tank the reason we fell away at the end of the Parra game.
I guess we are trying to manage how long we can maintain that defensive intensity while playing a full 80 minutes
Maybe we could try watching Penrith. They maintain defensive intensity for 80 minutes, all season.
Oh well, we get to watch them up close this week. In our faces, in fact.

His first mistake was picking Harper in the centres. His second mistake was not picking Lawton in the seventeen at all. Weekes into five-eight, with Lawton into the centres, would have made a massive difference to how that game played out. Johns on the bench with Bullemore, Keppie and Burbo would have been a smarter move than playing him at five-eight from the get-go. Long story short, he needs to pick our best players (in some cases out of position - Lawton, Weekes), then choose our second-string players before them (Johns, Harper etc).
You could so easily drop this post into any thread from the past 4 years and just replace seibs name with the 'he that will not be named' hasler.
As much as I feel I know what makes the world go round don't you think our head coach( be it seibs or Hasler) might just have more knowledge than you or me?
When you say pick our best players none of us know who that is other than a few guys named Turbo and dce and possibly Hamole.
My point is this was a huge criticism of Des over the years even thou he had vastly more knowledge and success than any of us and here we are starting to call out Seibs for exactly the same thing.
Let the coach coach and let's just support to the beast of our ability.

You could so easily drop this post into any thread from the past 4 years and just replace seibs name with the 'he that will not be named' hasler.
As much as I feel I know what makes the world go round don't you think our head coach( be it seibs or Hasler) might just have more knowledge than you or me?
When you say pick our best players none of us know who that is other than a few guys named Turbo and dce and possibly Hamole.
My point is this was a huge criticism of Des over the years even thou he had vastly more knowledge and success than any of us and here we are starting to call out Seibs for exactly the same thing.
Noted @EOL now nesting on the GC However, it's pretty bloody obvious that Lawton is a better player than Harper for example. Therefore, Lawton should be picked first. Yes, I am aware that its simply a matter of opinion, but that's generally what a forum is for. I have been extremely supportive of Seibold & Co and will continue to be so. However, I will also continue to criticise them, IMHO when further mistakes are made. Jack Gibson was a pretty fair coach, and his philosophy was based on the same concept suggested by me (and others) on how he picked his sides. Yes, Seibold made a selection mistake against the Knights. He will probably make some more in the future. I will support him to the "beast" of my ability regardless.

Harper should not be anywhere near 1st grade until he can stop looking so average at Blacktown.

They aren't gods and sometimes looking at issues from outside offers a broader perspective. Coaches certainly know a lot more than most of us, including myself, but they make mistakes. I'm an average supporter, though I've watched the game for over 50 years from outside. What I saw of the team posted for the game with Johns and Harper out there, immediately made me worry that Manly could easily lose the game, based on what I've observed of those players performances (check back I even commented on it before the game). Not saying that was the only reason they struggled, but I think many supporters on this site would agree they had concerns. The result was as expected.

We leak way too many points. It is a concern heading into the game against Penrith.

Any coaching team that can continue to watch Tuipulotu fly in defensively, be so out of position worries me. It was either the first or second of the Knights tries where he just looked confused.

Secondly Harper is just not a first grade centre - particularly in defence. So combine Tui + Harper and is it any surprise we are leaking points. The Panthers will tear us apart.

Surely time for Vaega to start and consider Myers or Weekes (or 5/8) in the centres. It may not be a whole lot better but we have nothing to lose in these two positions.

It’s early in the season.

Maybe our coaching staff wanted to give Johns another chance as he looked good in the Bulldogs game, & maybe they wanted to give Harper another chance to prove himself.

Now that they’ve had those chances & not looked too great, perhaps our coaching staff will put a line through them both & play other members of the 30 until circumstances require them being called up again (injuries, SOO, etc).

It’s early in the season.
The best answer to the coaching evaluation is that it is too early in the season as there are still lots of chapters to be written this season and the next chapter and our test of character is how we respond against the Benchmark in the comp

There is no greater way to get back some Manly Team respect and redemption from last week than a win against the premiers and we must grasp this great opportunity with both hands

There is a Great quote that says ....
Opportunity does not knock
It presents itself when you knock down the door
Its time to knock off the premiers at 4 Pines park this week !!!

Penrith-Panthers-NRL-1.jpg

Last edited:
Our backline defence was awful on the weekend and we won’t compete against the top sides with that backline. We need speed. We also need much better service from dummy half for 80 minutes.

Harper should not be anywhere near 1st grade until he can stop looking so average at Blacktown.
He shoudn't have been near first grade for ages but he keeps getting picked ......

They say old habits aren't easy to break! We did look like the 2022 side on the weekend but let's see how the coaches and players respond this week!
Can we get 2021 habits back pls (+ better defence)

When we started well the games were as good as over. Ten minutes in vs the Knights and I thought we were going to put 50+ on, certainly wasn't expecting a 32-32 draw !

He shoudn't have been near first grade for ages but he keeps getting picked ......

I'm ok with Harper getting a first grade spot originally.

What I'm not ok with is getting his 1st grade spot back after being dropped.

He has shown absolutely zero in the 2 Blacktown games I've seen this year, in fact, he has been fairly poor imo.

So I question the coaching/selection decision to play him in 1st grade on Saturday, and going forward, until he earns the spot back with stand-out Blacktown performances......not because he is just the default replacement centre.

Noted @EOL now nesting on the GC However, it's pretty bloody obvious that Lawton is a better player than Harper for example. Therefore, Lawton should be picked first. Yes, I am aware that its simply a matter of opinion, but that's generally what a forum is for. I have been extremely supportive of Seibold & Co and will continue to be so. However, I will also continue to criticise them, IMHO when further mistakes are made. Jack Gibson was a pretty fair coach, and his philosophy was based on the same concept suggested by me (and others) on how he picked his sides. Yes, Seibold made a selection mistake against the Knights. He will probably make some more in the future. I will support him to the "beast" of my ability regardless.
wasn't trying to be combative so sorry if it came across that way. Just saying that we all have our opinion that most of the time is not as informed as the man in charge.

I was all over Garrick in his second year when he really struggled. was all up for dumping him and now look at the guy. one of our best.

feel sorry for harper given he's played some really good games for us. sure he's had some shockers but so have most of the players we support.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4