Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is the first big test for Siebold.

A win or a close loss and he will be still have positive support

A bad loss or a thrashing and his stocks will fall.

Playing Cooper Johns is a big risk.
We are only summising, he mightn’t!!

PS: but probably will

Look we can all have our individual ideas , that’s fine , but what I’m saying is collectively we have some pretty smart heads at the top, who also have all the inside knowledge, know what’s happening at training , and actually talk to the players.

V the numb nuts on Silvertails, who quite honestly know absolutely **** ALL.

Now , not saying yours , or others, ideas aren’t good ones, but they all lack inside knowledge.

Which brings me back to the coaching team knowing what’s best.
You mean he shouldn't pick the team based on our opinions? Heresy

Think that Seibold [ and no doubt reflective of the coaching staff ] summed up things quite well in regard to Weekes to a starting position . Quite evident a good off season preparation , impressive in the 2nd trial , adding something really worthwhile in his season game time to date . Have to have some degree of sympathy for coaches in general , some things just out of their control with on field situations sometimes . But getting team selections largely right really important of course and just for the basics . Hope that he can instill some good line speed and sustained defence approach against the Panthers , most important requirement to be able to get the better of them

This is a big test for Kelma as well as Weekes. I hope he is up to helping Weekes in defence and being part of hunting in a pack.
Something the panthers do perfectly and something we need to improve in.

Great test for the team.

The NRL Tackle: Should Manly be concerned about coach Anthony Seibold’s recruitment, Brisbane failure?​

Manly fans have every right to wonder if they’re heading in the right direction – or down the nightmare path that led Brisbane to a wooden spoon, and Anthony Seibold getting the sack.

Paul Crawley

NRL

Anthony Seibold will want to watch out that he doesn’t make the same mistakes that helped bury him in Brisbane.
How would you feel being a Manly fan waking on the weekend and reading that your club was in the process of potentially signing Kyle Flanagan to cover for Daly Cherry-Evans during Origin?

That’s coming on the back of what can only be described as an embarrassing 26-10 loss to the Titans, that again exposed how big a hole the injured Tom Trbojevic leaves in this team.

But the mere suggestion the club is also looking at bringing in young Flanagan, who was dropped by the Bulldogs this week, would have had Sea Eagles fans choking on their Sunday morning breakfast.

We have also read in recent days how Flanagan’s father Shane (who is currently Seibold’s Manly assistant) has now engaged Seibold’s agent Isaac Moses, as Flanagan chases a new head coaching gig.

It is important to make clear what our colleague Phil Rothfield wrote when he broke this story that Flanagan senior has played no part in this potential deal involving his son.
However, how Seibold could possibly see that young Flanagan’s arrival is going to somehow make Manly a better football team given his struggles at the Bulldogs is mystifying.

Let’s not forget the Sea Eagles already have Cooper Johns playing that back up role for the halves, although Johns has been promoted in the pecking order after they sent the ridiculously overpaid Josh Schuster away to work on his fitness and injuries.

But even if Manly only intends to sign young Flanagan for the rest of this season, surely the club has another youngster in the lower grades who should get the opportunity first.

And what makes this storyline even more intriguing is it follows the recent arrival of another Moses client in Aaron Woods that has also caused more than a few raised eyebrows.
It didn’t help that Woods’ arrival coincided with the release of young gun Manly forwards Viliami Fifita and Alec Tuitavake (who are managed by rival agent Mario Tartak) to the Dragons.

Broncos fans would remember that when Seibold was coaching Brisbane there was also concern expressed by club legend Gorden Tallis among others that Moses was gaining too big an influence over that roster.

Of course, the Sea Eagles now take on the Broncos in Friday night’s Magic Round opening blockbuster.

Siebold needs a few miracles to even get close to bettering the results Des got in his four years at Manly. Let's just keep our fingers and toes crossed that he doesn't have to deal with a rainbow gate fiasco along the way.

It would seem everybody that’s negative about the coach relates to the choice of John’s over Weekes.

Let’s not forget we currently have TWO first grade coaches , and some very good back up staff.

I’m backing their ability to do the best for the team , this isn’t #teamdes

We all just need a little faith.
No it's team Spoony. He will never get close to achieving what Des did in his four seasons. Let alone what Hasler did during his career. Flanagan won a premiership, maybe spoony needs to hire a third coach who won at least two. Oh wait a minute, we just sacked a bloke who fits the bill.

Anyone who thinks Des would be any better right now or that the coach is at fault here has rocks in their head

We had an even worse result in this same game last year and had many more embarrassing defeats after that. At least Seibold has done some things that Des refused to do like playing Jake at prop, Bully in the middle, starting Paseka and given first grade time to Weekes.

The real issue is that our roster is filled with players who are barely reserve grade quality, have piss poor attitudes, or both. It’s hard to think it will get any better when we are signing guys like Woods and being linked with the Flanagan’s and Talau’s of the world but here we are, long bumpy ride to come

Anyone who thinks Des would be any better right now or that the coach is at fault here has rocks in their head

We had an even worse result in this same game last year and had many more embarrassing defeats after that. At least Seibold has done some things that Des refused to do like playing Jake at prop, Bully in the middle, starting Paseka and given first grade time to Weekes.

The real issue is that our roster is filled with players who are barely reserve grade quality, have piss poor attitudes, or both. It’s hard to think it will get any better when we are signing guys like Woods and being linked with the Flanagan’s and Talau’s of the world but here we are, long bumpy ride to come
Siefold signed Woods, and let two promising props go the the Dragons.

Seirolled won't finish top four this year like Des did.

Spoonbold won't get us anywhere near a prelim without Turbo in the side. Des did, do you remember that Bunnies semi where Jake got binned?

Seitoldyaheis****e guided the Broncos to their first ever spoon.

Anthony "I learned so much working for Eddie," didn't have to deal with a divisive rainbow jersey slipped through the backdoor unannounced by "Scott" from marketing. Nor did he have to front the salivating media hordes alone, coaching a fractured team while our narcissistic owner plotted his demise in the background.

Coach Foolsgold will never win a premiership in the NRL.

Last edited:

I disagree, although as I tend to get to hung up too much with words/emotion I thought i'd try take it to stats instead and leave it open for interpretation. Keep in mind that as of writing this we have currently have played 9 games, so it's a relatively small sample still.

For obvious reasons, I am going to compare the current stats with 2022's stats prior to rd 20's roosters game..

First of all: To quickly sum up some issues for context

2022 prior to rd 20: Injuries, stand in backline w/ Garrick forced to fullback, dusty start to season, cracks seemingly behind the scenes w/ Schu and Foz situation and improving defence was a goal2023: Still a patchy backline due to some injuries, losing Foran in attack, Schuster injury disrupting halves, defence appears to have dropped another notch, energy is periodic

Summary Stats

Year2021 - full 25 rounds2022 - prior to rd 202023 - prior to rd 11
Win Percentage66.7%50%40%
Avg Points Conceded
(16.1 excl. rds 1-4)
[imo trending up]
Avg Points Scored3122.4519.6

2022 vs 2023 key player unavailability and comparison in appearances for various players

Player2022 - % Games Played2023 - % Games Played
Tom Trbojevic38.9%88.9%
Brad Parker38.9%88.9%
Ethan Bullemor38.9%100%
Josh Schuster50%33.3%
Taniela Paseka50%100%
Morgan Harper83.3%55.6%
Josh Aloiai
Tolutau Koula
66.7%
83.3%
100%
44.4%
* note: I excluded various players because the % were similar, or largely very significant​
Other interesting stats I factor in when considering 2022
- Tuipulotu forced into side in round 5, when Garrick shifted to fullback for the 1st time​
- Garrick only able to play wing on 7 occasions due to trbojevic's early injury​
- Kurt De Luis had to play two games by rd 12 due to a depleted forward pack​
- Realistic goal of 6th-8th prior to news of the 7 players standing down and the ensuing nosedive (losing all remaining games)​
How it compares to 2023 is up to individual opinion, but I think we had some significant handicaps in 22. I think we probably did as well as we could have up until rd 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree, although as I tend to get to hung up too much with words/emotion I thought i'd try take it to stats instead and leave it open for interpretation. Keep in mind that as of writing this we have currently have played 9 games, so it's a relatively small sample still.

For obvious reasons, I am going to compare the current stats with 2022's stats prior to rd 20's roosters game..

2022 prior to rd 20: Injuries, stand in backline w/ Garrick forced to fullback, slow start to season, cracks emerging behind the scenes w/ Schu and Foz situation and plan to improve defence2023: Still a patchy backline due to some injuries, losing Foran in attack, Schuster injury disrupting halves, defence appears to have dropped another notch, energy is periodic

Summary Stats

Avg Points Conceded
(16.1 excl. rds 1-4)
[imo trending up]

2022 vs 2023 key player unavailability and comparison in appearances for various players

Tom Trbojevic38.9%88.9%
Brad Parker38.9%88.9%
Ethan Bullemor38.9%100%
Josh Schuster50%33.3%
Taniela Paseka50%100%
Morgan Harper83.3%55.6%
Josh Aloiai66.7%100%
* note: I excluded various players because the % were similar, or largely very significant​
- Tuipulotu forced into side in round 5, when Garrick shifted to fullback for the 1st time​
- Garrick only able to play wing on 7 occasions due to trbojevic's early injury​
- Realistic goal of 6th-8th prior to news of the 7 players standing down and the ensuing nosedive (losing all remaining games)​
It paints a terribly alarming picture. What makes it even more concerning is Siebold's assertion these past two weeks that we have started the year well. Sure we won a couple of trials. Then we beat a seriously undermanned Bulldogs, had a bye, hung on by our fingernails against Parra, lost to a seriously undermanned Bunnies, got smashed by Penrith, beat an undermanned Storm, just beat the Tigers, got flogged at home by the Titans, and got smashed by the Broncos.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't add up to much in my book.

His reference to the good start reeks of desperation. We are miles off the pace and he needs to start being an NRL coach by calling out these sub par performances for what they are.

2022 prior to rd 20: Injuries, stand in backline w/ Garrick forced to fullback, dusty start to season, cracks seemingly behind the scenes w/ Schu and Foz situation and improving defence was a goal2023: Still a patchy backline due to some injuries, losing Foran in attack, Schuster injury disrupting halves, defence appears to have dropped another notch, energy is periodic

Summary Stats

Avg Points Conceded
(16.1 excl. rds 1-4)
[imo trending up]

Tom Trbojevic38.9%88.9%
Brad Parker38.9%88.9%
Ethan Bullemor38.9%100%
Josh Schuster50%33.3%
Taniela Paseka50%100%
Morgan Harper83.3%55.6%
Josh Aloiai
Tolutau Koula
66.7%
83.3%
100%
44.4%
How it compares to 2023 is up to individual opinion, but I think we had some significant handicaps in 22. I think we probably did as well as we could have up until rd 20.
Lol you just smashed This fool for a 6 .. brilliant stats mate …. Time for people to deman Penn out

Summary Stats

Avg Points Conceded
(16.1 excl. rds 1-4)
[imo trending up]

Tom Trbojevic38.9%88.9%
Brad Parker38.9%88.9%
Ethan Bullemor38.9%100%
Josh Schuster50%33.3%
Taniela Paseka50%100%
Morgan Harper83.3%55.6%
Josh Aloiai
Tolutau Koula
66.7%
83.3%
100%
44.4%
Nothing like some good undeniable stats to wreak someone's cast iron emotional view of what's happening.
Great work.

Summary Stats

Avg Points Conceded
(16.1 excl. rds 1-4)
[imo trending up]

Tom Trbojevic38.9%88.9%
Brad Parker38.9%88.9%
Ethan Bullemor38.9%100%
Josh Schuster50%33.3%
Taniela Paseka50%100%
Morgan Harper83.3%55.6%
Josh Aloiai
Tolutau Koula
66.7%
83.3%
100%
44.4%
We had handicaps then and we still have them. It’s called being injury prone and having no adequate depth. And we all know why this issue occurs - at least with lack of depth. The one positive is that one of those players we pay total overs for at least plays every game at full fitness.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7