Zorba's agenda

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wish someone would kick out Zorba's platform he performs on.Surely radio stations or the Manly Daily can find someone still with a clue and a bit more relevance.
Anyone here want to start a petition to get rid of Zorba from the Manly Daily and get someone younger and relevant like Monas ,Ballin ,Hasler,Singe ,anyone really ...

OK... I'll put my hand up ..... I'll provide a weekly column for them on the basis that @globaleagle proof reads it, @mozgrame provides the rumours, @Ryan provides social media content, @HappilyManly signs on as researcher, @Bearfax ghost writes it,

OK... I'll put my hand up ..... I'll provide a weekly column for them on the basis that @globaleagle proof reads it, @mozgrame provides the rumours, @Ryan provides social media content, @HappilyManly signs on as researcher, @Bearfax ghost writes it,

It should say and Bearfax ghost writes it with a full stop after it and not a comma.

lololololololololololol etc

I wish someone would kick out Zorba's platform he performs on.Surely radio stations or the Manly Daily can find someone still with a clue and a bit more relevance.
Anyone here want to start a petition to get rid of Zorba from the Manly Daily and get someone younger and relevant like Monas ,Ballin ,Hasler,Singe ,anyone really ...
What happened to the young lass who was going into media and posted on here.
She was great.

I notice his column hasn’t been in Manly Daily for last month?

So, it is your arguement that the coaching staff has not been increased by at least 6 new and additional staff ? ... key point being additional ....

I of course was not referring to medical staff or office staff in my post, however if you wish to include them I supose you could always add on the greenskeepers as being also at Baz's disposal ... just as relevant to the issue ....
You have to earn the right to have additional or surplus staff before you start making such requests---- beyond one half decent season.

When Trent mentioned to the press that he "enjoys the coaching side of things" it came across like he felt coaching was all about and limited to the training paddock, any visions, grand plans or responsibilities beyond that were/are distractions.

With Trent you never got the sense there was a bigger picture/goal/vision to his coaching or direction for the club, i still think he has the potential to do OK as a coach but needs to be under a Hasler or Bellamy type for 5yrs to see the daily grind, beyond just the coaching on the paddock.(asking for more resources/staff purely off the basis of "we are understaffed/under-resourced compared to other clubs" merely just states the bleeding obvious)

Trent got ahead of himself in the proving stage of his career at a proving ground club with limited funds.

You have to earn the right to have additional or surplus staff before you start making such requests

I didn't read beyond your opening line .... but congratulations ... you have managed to write the stupidist comment I have read in almost 70 years ... and that is no mean feat .. you have strong competition ...

But in the interest of fairness .... and just to clarify your comment ... are you seriously stating that an owner of a football franchise would knowingly and deliberately disadvantage his team simply on the basis of his coach not "having earned" his stripes .... FMD ...

When they abolished the residency rules that St George used to win 10 premierships.
They won 11 in a row and the introduction of limited tackle football is generally cited as the reason.

Nothing to do with residency rules. Without researching, I’m reasonably confident that that rule had been rescinded before the mid-1960s.

And Cronulla-Sutherland’s entry (into the competition) in 1967 was surely not significant enough to have an immediate impact on the Dragons’ premiership fortunes.

Last edited:
I think more so the point that Baz was completely happy with his coaching staff back in 2015 when it was announced. Not once did he or any of his supporters (aka his no. 1 fan) complain about the lack of support until he showed that he was clearly out of his depth. He's shown he will run to outsiders if he doesn't get his way so it's fair to say that if he wasn't happy with his coaching staff in 2015 we all would have heard about it... Or he wouldn't have taken the job.

Des, being a proven NRL coach (with stripes), demands the staff he needs from the get go... Or I'm guessing he wouldn't have taken the job.

By Baz signing up with the staff he had, shows he had no idea that he was understaffing his own coaching department.

Throw in the Hastings handling disaster, Baz running to Gould, Baz running to Buzz, the drinking culture, the bullying culture, Baz did himself no favours.

Happy boxing day Woodsie.

Perhaps you should read the comment of mine that you responded to .... and in a quite moment ... ask yourself what in the name of a sailors hairy testicle ... does your answer relate to it ??

Penrith must have sacked all support staff and gumtree'd all outdoor furniture for twentys brief but horrible U20's coaching career which was encased either side with premierships by other coaches.
Gould obviously saw his talent first hand and dumped him off at Narrabeen. Post haste

I didn't read beyond your opening line .... but congratulations ... you have managed to write the stupidist comment I have read in almost 70 years ... and that is no mean feat .. you have strong competition ...

But in the interest of fairness .... and just to clarify your comment ... are you seriously stating that an owner of a football franchise would knowingly and deliberately disadvantage his team simply on the basis of his coach not "having earned" his stripes .... FMD ...
No what i am saying is that people in charge are less likely going to outlay more funds on someone they are not confident in or hasn't better represented a case to convince the owners it is going to significantly improve the situation/performance.

Barrett was signed on because he was seen as a Coach with potential, a cheaper alternative to an established option and more in line with the financial resources the club could afford (staying within our budget.)

The hope was as Barrett improved so would the performances along with improved crowds, sponsorship, membership etc which in turn hopefully would lead to a better financial position to outlay more in the future---at best we stagnated.

The same scenario was the case when Manly signed on Hasler (Manly was an opportunity club at the bottom, Hasler was a cheap option)---as the years went by the owners could see Hasler's potential was being realized and there was more confidence to outlay more.

Eventually though Hasler's requirements were probably way over what Manly could afford---this is one of the main reasons we couldn't retain or really wanted to retain Hasler because it got to the point where there was diminishing returns and going backwards keeping up with Dessies requests.

I'm not totally in disagreement with your point of view---really the end goal for any business is to make money/remain viable---no point winning comps/performing well if the returns are not worth it.

In the business world there are risky business models such as, invest big, except the losses to gain traction in the market or large market share, in the hope of either future returns or having some kind of monopoly that can be leveraged as a good reason to sell---even if the company is not making money. You don't have that luxury in the business of owning a sporting team.

I think the Penn's were trying hard to stay within budget in not trying to retain Hasler originally, trying to stay within budget signing on Barrett and also eventually/maybe even suddenly not convinced increasing the funds under Barrett's coaching would make much difference.

Now Manly are in the stage of probably bleeding money again, with Hasler on less than he was at the Dogs, in the hope of good returns within 3yrs---if not Manly are in big trouble.

Manly need to get the front office in order and new stadium built to show progress from the stagnant 1990's feel of the club to look like a professional modern club with a future.

Woodsie don't let your bias woodie over Barrett get in the way of a civilized discussion on this matter---i expressed my opinions without making it personal.

Oh do i need to clarify "that there is nothing wrong with that" if you lean that way.

... I think old mate Penn had the mess well on the way before Baz arrived ..... but if Baz hadn't said resource this place or I'm gone .. and had the courage to back up his words ..... followed by Maquire saying you have to be kidding ..... then Penn would never have been forced to take Des back and open the wallet ..... we are getting exactly what Barrett demanded ...

We should be erecting a statue to Barrett ...... and hopefully now Des will get the support he deserves ... and what Toovey and Barrett never had ....

... but then again I haven't had a blue for days so I may just be swinging blind ...... best wishes to you and all for the festive season ...

I can't help but respect your resolve mate, You definitely make good point regarding Penn and we probably should be thanking Barrett for setting the bar so low we can only improve. Hope you and yours had a great Christmas and hopefully we have a better new year!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8