Writing on the wall for Toovey it seems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I agree

Barrett does not bleed maroon and white

Bit out of the ball park but I think Cliff Lyons should be our next head coach- he would do a much better job than Barrett.

Toovey has certainly been hung out to dry and you know what with the right players he is most certainly a coach which could lead a team to a title.
We need to start living in reality. This is a sport that is worth millions and meant to be played by professional athletes. We have to start viewing coaches the same way. Tooves for whatever reason obviously isn't working. It's my belief he doesn't have the tactical nous or game planning ability to coach successfully at this level. He had a supremely talented group of players who provided results but when asked to do more with less he hasn't been able to. If we are willing to accept a Myles who obviously has had nothing to do with manly why shouldn't we accept whoever the best coaching candidate available is. Maybe someone younger will have a more innovative approach to our playing style. I think we should be open to change. And I think dredging up club legends to coach just because they are legends shows a supreme lack of foresight. Not all great players make great coaches. Manly for the sake of manly is a path to failure when you're gambling with $7mil in players

Plus we'd have a maticulous game plan.

Is that anything like a meticulous game plan?
I don't care how good a coach Hasler is (and he is good), I never want to see him near the Manly club again. Character counts. Sure, winning counts, too, but it's not the be all and end all. How you win is just as important to me.
Sadly, the club seems to be heading down the 'rugby league is a business' path that will make Manly pretty much the same as every other NRL club: soulless administrators, career coaches, a mercenary playing staff, happy to win a premiership once every 20 or 30 years…

Is that anything like a meticulous game plan?
I don't care how good a coach Hasler is (and he is good), I never want to see him near the Manly club again. Character counts. Sure, winning counts, too, but it's not the be all and end all. How you win is just as important to me.
Sadly, the club seems to be heading down the 'rugby league is a business' path that will make Manly pretty much the same as every other NRL club: soulless administrators, career coaches, a mercenary playing staff, happy to win a premiership once every 20 or 30 years…
You do realise that people are allowed to grow to love things? Did you love your favorite job before you'd even started? People don't have to be foundational characters to grow to love a footy club. Look at BK. Why should coaches be held to a different standard. You are right to a degree managing an almost 7mil playing roster shouldn't be left to an amateur, part of it is a business. That's reality. But soul is developed through culture and buy in. For players and coaches it is not necessary to have it before starting. It's a fluid concept that's shaped by the playing and coaching group of the day. To suggest you can manipulate it just because someone is from manly is naive

^ lurker, I agree with almost all of your points: yes, great players don't necessarily make great coaches, and you don't have to be from Manly to buy into the Manly "culture". And if the players don't want to play for Tooves, he's gone. I can see the reality. I just don't particularly like it.
And I don't buy the fact that Trent Barrett is "the best coaching candidate available". He's available, sure, but that's pretty much it. Right now, he's really no better or worse than any other ex-player who's never coached a first-grade NRL side. He could prove me wrong, but the thing is he should at least have to prove something before he's thrown the reigns to our club.
What concerns me most is the apparent lack of foresight by the current owners and management team. That and the fact that they're prepared to be spooked into making knee-jerk decisions. Yes, fans want to win but they're generally a lot more patient than they're given credit for.

^ lurker, I agree with almost all of your points: yes, great players don't necessarily make great coaches, and you don't have to be from Manly to buy into the Manly "culture". And if the players don't want to play for Tooves, he's gone. I can see the reality. I just don't particularly like it.
And I don't buy the fact that Trent Barrett is "the best coaching candidate available". He's available, sure, but that's pretty much it. Right now, he's really no better or worse than any other ex-player who's never coached a first-grade NRL side. He could prove me wrong, but the thing is he should at least have to prove something before he's thrown the reigns to our club.
What concerns me most is the apparent lack of foresight by the current owners and management team. That and the fact that they're prepared to be spooked into making knee-jerk decisions. Yes, fans want to win but they're generally a lot more patient than they're given credit for.
For the record I wasn't necessarily advocating Barrett just change itself that didn't have to be a former manly player

If we were say to compare Tooves and john Longmire from the swans they both started in similar positions. Both inherited great squads. The difference is longmire developed players. Tooves in my opinion has stunted the development of players. Hiku and buhrer IMO have had slowed development because they constantly have been chopped and changed through positions. We haven't really developed anyone to continue to hold us in good stead. There needs to be long term plans plus back up plans. When you play well ppl will leave for higher salaries elsewhere that needs to be planned for and I don't think Tooves has

Well if they're sacking a club legend like Tooves because RL has become big business, a business driven by results and FG's win/loss ratio and ladder position is poor..... Then while they're at it, the CEO should do everyone a massive favor and sack Luke Williamson as NSW Cup coach too for exactly the same business reasons!!

Nothing is forever.
Since the announcement of Gifty signing on with the Wabbits, the coaching future of 2V has been in doubt. Manly's era of dominance has ended and we have lost about 6 quality forwards in a short space of time. Yes it is a results driven business and whilst the fans on Silvertails may stick with Manly thru thick and thin, the general Brooky crowd are a bit more fickle and will fail to turn up to matches. On field winning is the key. The depleted attendance figures will put the viability of the club in doubt. Greenslime will swoop right in.

The NRL will not support MWSE in the same way as they have the GCT. You know its true. Newscorp and the worst elements of the NRL would take the opportunity to to crush our club if they can. As sad as it is for a legend player of our club, he has not remade himself into a great, modern coach. His player selections, use of the bench have at times been baffling, amateurish. But he should be given a dignified exit from his role, anything less than a honorable transition makes us as bad as Greenslime.

That and the fact that they're prepared to be spooked into making knee-jerk decisions. Yes, fans want to win but they're generally a lot more patient than they're given credit for.
Maybe, but are our sponsors??

If we were say to compare Tooves and john Longmire from the swans they both started in similar positions. Both inherited great squads. The difference is longmire developed players. Tooves in my opinion has stunted the development of players. Hiku and buhrer IMO have had slowed development because they constantly have been chopped and changed through positions. We haven't really developed anyone to continue to hold us in good stead. There needs to be long term plans plus back up plans. When you play well ppl will leave for higher salaries elsewhere that needs to be planned for and I don't think Tooves has
Excellent comparison.

Buhrer has had 2 season ending injuries, so his development has been stopped due to that and not 2v. Ferris was openly being debated as being part of the NSW SOO last year.
His physical size limits him being a standout representative Player as there are just too many like him to pick from.@:cool:

Hiku meanwhile went on to play for the Kiwis. The Kiwis for the first time since 1959 have defeated the Kangaroos in their last 3 consecutive matches.
I would give credit to 2v for Hiku's development as a utility back, as he has shone at both full back and centre at the Representative level in both positions - pretty rare.:clap:

If the clowns running our once mighty club sack Tooves, that will be the end of my 38 year association with the club. I'll wait until Brisbane get another side in the nrl before I start watching again.

Just one point. Tooves is a successful professional/chartered accountant who has been on the NRMA Board etc. He doesn't need some patronising job offer from a Board that shafts him, nor should he accept one! Irrespective of what happens to him, history will rate him as a a club giant compared to the pond scum that undermined him!

If they are going to pull the pin on Tooves coaching career, the club could do a lot worse than having someone of his qualifications in charge of the clubs finances. He would definitely know how to balance the books and make sure we don't over spend the salary cap.

If the clowns running our once mighty club sack Tooves, that will be the end of my 38 year association with the club. I'll wait until Brisbane get another side in the nrl before I start watching again.
I can understand your anger but the worst time to make decisions is when you're pissed off.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4