Writing on the wall for Toovey it seems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He should retire, and write a tell all book. That would certainly make for VERY interesting reading. I'd buy it for sure. Actually, I read Beavers book in a day - and loved it. I'd recommend it......he should have written it later though, because there was much more that happened after the finishing period of the book.

You're waiting five years to judge? Get off Silvertails! You don't belong here young man!!
Funny and true. I'd be the worst, as I am firmly in the Tooves camp, and will not buy into the media bullshiit. I've seen many junior clubs get savaged from egotistical agenda driven vermin over the years. Yes he will probably be punted, but it doesn't mean you have to give the filth your support and give Tooves up as easily as some seemingly already have. So whoever takes over will be in for a rough ride, and there'll be no lube provided.

Sorry BE...that was suppose to be a emoticon hit and gone...these nescafe espresso capsules might not be conducive to a positive start to the day for me.lol

It's sad to think it but I'd say the last 2 games have confirmed that Tooves departure is imminent. Had we won them he'd probably have stayed till years end but now I can see it's about to blow considering the dce verdict is also coming to an end.

it's sad and pretty much confirmed in SMH http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-coach-from-geoff-toovey-20150530-ghd556.html

I really feel sorry for Tooves, the way he has been treated is completely disrespectful, undermining and quite frankly ruthless - unfortunately this is now the reality of professional sports. Like it or not its a results driven business… The thing is Trent Barret is a cheap option as coach - if he fails to implement any real change, its seen as no big loss -financially and otherwise. "We're giving a bright young coach a go" The advantage for barret is he gets to coach an NRL team…on his own…??

if we're going to go down this path of hiring an "external" why not go after some of the best? I don't know much about garret's coaching stocks but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence or excitement. Should've actively "poached" or signed a BIG name - Manly would be an intriguing challenge to a coach with a bit of nous.

Last time this happened it didn't work - the only thing graham Lowe brought to the club was a truckload of kiwi signings (although some of them were pretty damn good players!) He didn't really do much as a coach.

It is a ruthless game now, the values that I grew up with in the game of loyalty are dead, to see the behaviour of our halves has shattered the belief I had about loyalty. It is a results business now and the Penns and Joe Kelly know we have to get it right on the field.

It is pretty damming that we have only won 5 out of our last 18 competitive games, that is evidence that they will justify this decision, the sad thing is that over the 18 games I mention at no stage have we had a total squad fit and ready.

I don't think i've ever known a period where we have been forced to chop and change so many times, Toovey has done so well considering this but I think what is needed is a fresh approach and time to open it up and give some of the fringe players more chances.

Out of all the gloom we have seen some great talent emerge. This season so reminds me of the 1989 one. End of an era for a great team and the dawn of a new one. Our culture will ensure we will be fine.

We need to start winning games, if Toovey is to see the season out.

Funny and true. I'd be the worst, as I am firmly in the Tooves camp, and will not buy into the media bullshiit. I've seen many junior clubs get savaged from egotistical agenda driven vermin over the years. Yes he will probably be punted, but it doesn't mean you have to give the filth your support and give Tooves up as easily as some seemingly already have. So whoever takes over will be in for a rough ride, and there'll be no lube provided.

Sorry BE...that was suppose to be a emoticon hit and gone...these nescafe espresso capsules might not be conducive to a positive start to the day for me.lol
I'm not talking about media driven bull**** because most of the reasons I've spoken about are my own observations not the politics crap the media is talking about. As a player and as a bloke I love Tooves. But as a coach I don't think he has evolved with the game. He inherited an amazing squad but let the squad slide. He hasn't planned succession and developed players to replace the ones he should have known he'd eventually lose.

The rules changed this year and yet our team is not playing the game any differently. Time and again Ballin gives away holding penalties. We play a defensive line that doesn't advance and I cringe every time the ball gets run and we allow a fast play the ball. Defence is one thing where you don't need talent it needs good coaching. Look at St George. We have a better roster than that team but their defence is awesome. We are slow out of hooker yet there is a reluctance to recognize it. We are one dimensional in attack and run the same sweep plays or bomb the ball. It's the same stuff we've done for 3-4 years. When there is that much tape on it it's no wonder we can't score as much. Then there is the way he uses the bench which is atrocious. If we have guys with lower motors why leave ppl on till exhaustion while having a fresh guy sit there!!! And ffs look outside the box and teach someone to kick goals. We've lost 3 games this year purely through poor goal kicking and yet we don't do anything to improve it.

Tooves has lost me not because of any agenda or political driven bull****. Tooves has lost me because from a technical standpoint this team has gone backwards. I cringe when I watch them on the field because they're like a park footy team.

People can sit on this forum and put their heads in the sand and give blind loyalty but you're really just avoiding reality. Watch our games and tell me how our coaching is playing players to their strengths. Show me how we are getting the best out of the skills we have. We are trying to fit square pegs in round holes and play the same way we always have and it clearly doesn't work!!!! I am intensely passionate about the TEAM! That means I won't blindly side with someone if I don't believe it's in the best interests of the team. I'm not advocating Barrett but I am advocating change because we can't get much worse right now

I'm not talking about media driven bull**** because most of the reasons I've spoken about are my own observations not the politics crap the media is talking about. As a player and as a bloke I love Tooves. But as a coach I don't think he has evolved with the game. He inherited an amazing squad but let the squad slide. He hasn't planned succession and developed players to replace the ones he should have known he'd eventually lose.

The rules changed this year and yet our team is not playing the game any differently. Time and again Ballin gives away holding penalties. We play a defensive line that doesn't advance and I cringe every time the ball gets run and we allow a fast play the ball. Defence is one thing where you don't need talent it needs good coaching. Look at St George. We have a better roster than that team but their defence is awesome. We are slow out of hooker yet there is a reluctance to recognize it. We are one dimensional in attack and run the same sweep plays or bomb the ball. It's the same stuff we've done for 3-4 years. When there is that much tape on it it's no wonder we can't score as much. Then there is the way he uses the bench which is atrocious. If we have guys with lower motors why leave ppl on till exhaustion while having a fresh guy sit there!!! And ffs look outside the box and teach someone to kick goals. We've lost 3 games this year purely through poor goal kicking and yet we don't do anything to improve it.

Tooves has lost me not because of any agenda or political driven bull****. Tooves has lost me because from a technical standpoint this team has gone backwards. I cringe when I watch them on the field because they're like a park footy team.

People can sit on this forum and put their heads in the sand and give blind loyalty but you're really just avoiding reality. Watch our games and tell me how our coaching is playing players to their strengths. Show me how we are getting the best out of the skills we have. We are trying to fit square pegs in round holes and play the same way we always have and it clearly doesn't work!!!! I am intensely passionate about the TEAM! That means I won't blindly side with someone if I don't believe it's in the best interests of the team. I'm not advocating Barrett but I am advocating change because we can't get much worse right now

What you say is so true, our problems around the ruck is the cheap metres we weekly concede because we allow too many quick play the balls.

We have a hooker whos role is mostly defence and hes great at that but our attack suffers because there is little thrust from dummy half.

We need someone nippy who can get us a penalty, when you see Scam Smith and Luke at Souffs consistently get penalties for their teams its a an area where we are really behind.

We always seem to be on the back foot with this. Last night was a great example, we dominated territory but we had no guile to score points that would have put the game to bed.

I don't think this is about loyalty. I think it's about who is the best candidate for the job.
Does anyone honestly think Barrett (or anyone else for that matter) could have done a better job than Tooves over the past 6 months with all the crap that has been going on?
The powers that be have clearly made their decision but IMO this decision, much like the decisions they made negotiating our halves contracts, is the wrong one.

^ Again, appreciate your passion, lurker, and all your points are valid. The only thing I'd argue about is that I don't think Tooves was given an opportunity to make succession plans because he wasn't given any sort of a role in player recruitment and retention. He's been kept out of the loop. That's probably because the powers that be thought the previous coach was a control freak and had too much power. As a result Tooves wasn't given enough.
Really, I think he was on a hiding to nothing when he took the job. If he did well, it was all because he inherited a great team (he also inherited the mess Hasler left behind); if he failed he was dismantling Des's legacy. Even by winning, he couldn't win.
I think he's done a great job in the circumstances and he's done his best to hold Manly together through some difficult times. He'll be the fall guy, and, being the man he is, he'll probably take it on the chin - just another sacrifice to make for the good of the club and the team.

The key in this drama is that Toovey lost support from key people and this includes top shelf players.

Why?

It's hard to fill the boots of Hasler, who revelled in the role. Geoff was probably not the best ego wrangler and not a natural coach in reality. He took over in a crisis, was given time but ultimately it came up as a sticking point for players looking for guidance (and contract renewals).

Will Toovey persue coaching again? This will be telling.

Well done mate, great post. Finally someone who's hit the nail right on the head. Couldn't agree more.

^ Again, appreciate your passion, lurker, and all your points are valid. The only thing I'd argue about is that I don't think Tooves was given an opportunity to make succession plans because he wasn't given any sort of a role in player recruitment and retention. He's been kept out of the loop. That's probably because the powers that be thought the previous coach was a control freak and had too much power. As a result Tooves wasn't given enough.
Really, I think he was on a hiding to nothing when he took the job. If he did well, it was all because he inherited a great team (he also inherited the mess Hasler left behind); if he failed he was dismantling Des's legacy. Even by winning, he couldn't win.
I think he's done a great job in the circumstances and he's done his best to hold Manly together through some difficult times. He'll be the fall guy, and, being the man he is, he'll probably take it on the chin - just another sacrifice to make for the good of the club and the team.
Succession that im talking about isn't about buying players it's about taking who you have and teaching them to do a job for you. Adapt a style to the players you have. You can't just plug a player in and expect him to do what gifty did. Or expect someone to have the same passing and vision as snake. It's about understanding a players steengths and playing to those. I will get shouted down for this but look at des. He took a team the other day missing about 1/3-1/2 of its starters and changed their style to beat the raiders only asking blokes to do what he knew they could.

When have we ever done that?

We need to start living in reality. This is a sport that is worth millions and meant to be played by professional athletes. We have to start viewing coaches the same way. Tooves for whatever reason obviously isn't working. It's my belief he doesn't have the tactical nous or game planning ability to coach successfully at this level. He had a supremely talented group of players who provided results but when asked to do more with less he hasn't been able to. If we are willing to accept a Myles who obviously has had nothing to do with manly why shouldn't we accept whoever the best coaching candidate available is. Maybe someone younger will have a more innovative approach to our playing style. I think we should be open to change. And I think dredging up club legends to coach just because they are legends shows a supreme lack of foresight. Not all great players make great coaches. Manly for the sake of manly is a path to failure when you're gambling with $7mil in players

100% Agree!!
Finally someone can see what I can see and I'm glad you put it on here first cos I don't think I could've said it any better myself!!

The last par of the SMH article disturbs me. 'banking on ... losing...'. Who are these bastard officials?

"However, it is understood officials were banking on the side losing away matches to the Cowboys and Broncos - as well as retaining Cherry-Evans - to justify the handover to Barrett."

"I've been consistent from the day I started at the club, and I got asked the question before I started at the club about Geoff's tenure as head coach – Geoff's got a two-year contract. I absolutely expect to honour that two-year contract," Kelly said at a recent address to members.
"I have no intentions of doing anything otherwise than seeing Geoff honour that two-year contract."
Joe Kelly 5/4/15

Time will tell whether Mr Kelly has any credibility, or if he is a liar.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8