Walker to 5/8 our X factor for finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In some ways , I think teams would be coached to exploit Dwalks when he plays centre but think they would be coached to try and combat him when playing in the 5/8th position

Certainly went well yesterday and received high praise and accolades from the players in the sheds and had a grin from ear to ear

It’s good to see him happy and I know that one game is just that but we all asked him to step it up and he did

Tick number 1 for Dwalks
Let’s see tick number 2 this week and see how The storm halves handles speed and power
Neither Walker nor Manly had their defensive structures tested by Parra.

Saturday will be a great defensive test as our games tend to be close affairs at AAMI :nerd:

Can't wait :happy:

I do agree that the game against the Melbourne will be a litmus test for DW. If we keep playing direct power footy and aren't crucified by the canaries then we are right in this contest.

Neither Walker nor Manly had their defensive structures tested by Parra.

Maybe why Des has moved walker to 5/8 where he has a lot of defensive support around him to take best advantage of his skills. Yeah Cust was a borderline HI exclusion (and needed to rest and watch) and the Frog needed to be bench cover for Fainu and DCE but maybe the mad scientist found a way to cover our play-makers, stop Walker's rushing out from the defensive line at centre (which would be p1ssing Des off no end) and allow Suli and Parker to play their "natural" centre sides.
Walker defended well at 5/8 and our centres more than held their own.

The same will be needed this week and finals time...possibly the rest of the season.

I think Des ran a few "experiments" against the Squeels in preparation for the run home, he is certainly at the top of his game.

Manly have used five starting five eighths this year (including Sironen against the Broncos). IMO Walker gave the most polished five eighth performance of the season against Parra, resulting in the backline flowing smoothly with opportunities for centres and wingers both sides of the field. Admittedly, this was helped by Parra's poor defence, plus Ferguson & Jennings were missing. A much sterner test will be the Storm this weekend.

One could surmise that Des was going to reinstate Parker at some stage by possibly moving Walker to five eighth. Cust's concussion made this decision a lot easier for him. Let's see how the team list pans out today.

Last edited:
Maybe why Des has moved walker to 5/8 where he has a lot of defensive support around him to take best advantage of his skills. Yeah Cust was a borderline HI exclusion (and needed to rest and watch) and the Frog needed to be bench cover for Fainu and DCE but maybe the mad scientist found a way to cover our play-makers, stop Walker's rushing out from the defensive line at centre (which would be p1ssing Des off no end) and allow Suli and Parker to play their "natural" centre sides.
Walker defended well at 5/8 and our centres more than held their own.

The same will be needed this week and finals time...possibly the rest of the season.

I think Des ran a few "experiments" against the Squeels in preparation for the run home, he is certainly at the top of his game.
After watching the replay yesterday, the only Walker lapse in defense saw him rush off the SW line and resulted in the Eels' 3rd try.

The rest of the game Walker's defensive efforts were effective as he was concentrating on all the bodies running at him rather than trying to anticipate an unlikely intercept :nerd:

It is interesting to watch Des stress test the Team with only 6 interchanges >:)
They'll thank him in the finals :nod:

Manly's completion rate is still too low at 68% :confused:

https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-18/sea-eagles-v-eels/

Walker performed very well ... I especially liked the width, accuracy and early ball he gave to his outside men .... However, we shoud also view the performance in the light of the fact he for the most part was playing behind our most dominant forward game all year ...

That is not said to diminish his game in any way ... but I ask the question .... how would Cust have gone behind a similiar level of domination ?

Bottom line is I am not prepared to annoint Dylan yet ... but it is wonderful to have options and variations ....

Last edited:
Well last time Walker played 5/8 against Melbourne we won quite comfortably.

I thought he was OK against the Eels without being a stand out, but let's not get carried away as it was only the Eels.

This weekend will be a sterner test. Des clearly rates him above Cust so maybe the spot is his to lose from here on in. Let's see what he has got when the Storm strangle our ruck and we don't have a dominant middle 3rd. He'll have Chambers and Kafusi running at him so he and Hank will have to be on their game

Walker performed very well ... I especially liked the width, accuracy and early ball he gave to his outside men .... However, we shoud also view the performance in the light of the fact he for the most part was playing behind our most dominant forward game all year ...

That is not said to diminish his game in any way ... but I ask the question .... how would Cust have gone behind a similiar level of domination ?

Bottom line is I am not prepared to annoint Dylan yet ... but it is wonderful to have options and variations ....
I like your Food for thought post Woodsie and good question on how Cust would have gone behind a similar level of forward domination .
This is my thought .
We all are expecting Walker to repay our club with his best effort and form on the field
In order to get the best out of Walkers ability we should play him where he plays his best footy and that is in the centres where he proved to play at his dominating best and his best earned him Daly M centre of the year ahead of some fine contenders .
Finals footy is played at a faster pace and teams with slower outside backs are not in the race .
The most lethal X factor position on the field for Walker is out wide where he has room to moove and groove .

I love it when Des tests the numpties on ST
Walker to 5/8 against 50 disagrees!!! Ha ha love it
Let us not forget that Walker was given the 5/8 role when our first option Cust was out of action
One game at 5/8 in a season does not make a 5/8 career feathered friend
Interesting to see what positional changes unfold ahead

Don’t misread my post @BOZO
I said nothing about agreeing with it, nor did I say it was successful....Cust is my preferred option, despite the views of the unwashed herd
My apologies mate , I did misread it but then again the others are entitled to their view . At the end of the day we are all on the same side . We all want our beloved Sea eagles to win

I like your Food for thought post Woodsie and good question on how Cust would have gone behind a similar level of forward domination .
This is my thought .
We all are expecting Walker to repay our club with his best effort and form on the field
In order to get the best out of Walkers ability we should play him where he plays his best footy and that is in the centres where he proved to play at his dominating best and his best earned him Daly M centre of the year ahead of some fine contenders .
Finals footy is played at a faster pace and teams with slower outside backs are not in the race .
The most lethal X factor position on the field for Walker is out wide where he has room to moove and groove .

I am hearing you but what do you make of our immortal recruiting him as a 5/8th and continuing to talk him up in this position

Bozo versus Bozo !!!!

You know there can only be one winner my feathered friend

I am hearing you but what do you make of our immortal recruiting him as a 5/8th and continuing to talk him up in this position

Bozo versus Bozo !!!!

You know there can only be one winner my feathered friend
The Incomparable Immortal has never failed any one . Others have failed to live up to his high standards feathered friend :)

Last edited:
After watching the replay yesterday, the only Walker lapse in defense saw him rush off the SW line and resulted in the Eels' 3rd try.

The rest of the game Walker's defensive efforts were effective as he was concentrating on all the bodies running at him rather than trying to anticipate an unlikely intercept :nerd:

It is interesting to watch Des stress test the Team with only 6 interchanges >:)
They'll thank him in the finals :nod:

Manly's completion rate is still too low at 68% :confused:

https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-18/sea-eagles-v-eels/

I think completion rates are overrated. Teams that chance their arm score more tries. To give you an example the Dogs have one of the highest completion rates.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2