Walker critics be gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Think that it is still a given that D C E goes so much better and offers much better value when he has a 6 partner who offers good direction and takes the pressure off him in general play . Green provided it in his stint at Manly , Foz definitely does , even Walker previously and their kicking games not insignificant also . Know that Josh went well against the Eels at 6 [ as did the whole side ] in the i st encounter this year and more then capable of playing there but quite a few factors [ including his bigger body now and general kicking game ] indicating that he may not be the best fit there now or going forward . Very hopefully will get one more good season out of Foz and then it could be an open question in Josh being considered there . if he consolidates his 2 nd row role and input next season and gets back to a hopefully high level of play there , every chance he will be staying there . Easier said then done expecting him to shed weight when his natural growth pattern will dictate otherwise , will most likely be looking for a replacement for Foz after next season , maybe it could be Schuster but every chance also he will continue his Manly career in the back row .

It's just interesting, most of us fans want a strike X-factor center to replace Parker or Harper which I get. But we were a win away from a Grand Final and the defining finals and big games losses we had, our soft defence was the problem. Our edge defense in particular. We just never wanted to get in the struggle and do it the hard way and defend our way to victory. All previous premiership clubs have shown that defence wins comps.

Harper had a shocker finals series but remained consistent as a defensive center for most of the year and did wonders for Saab's confidence. Parker is a good defender. I'm not saying they should remain as our long-term options as center if we wanna win a comp. But we need to understand a strike centre to replace Parker/Harper with a downgrade in defence won't improve our premiership chances. We won't win the big games in a shootout.

Pretty sure Walker played for Australia and won a grand final at centre.

Walker played centre for Australia in that end of season P N G test in 2017 and when he suffered that nasty lower leg injury . Think that he was only 19 and definitely playing centre when he was part of that 2014 Bunnies title .

If he does leave, it will be a case of “I have to look after my family”, which ultimately says ‘more money’.

I know Des likes Dylan as a player however, while he has played a great role in the latter part of the 2021 season, it’s not an essential role and can be filled.

Unfortunately Dylan is a liability PR wise for the club and I don’t think there’s been one year when he hasn’t been in the news for some type of misdemeanour, whether it be overdosing on tabs, punching a door and breaking his hand, taunting Curtis Scott and getting his cheek fractured, accused of assaulting his partner and accused of assaulting pizza shop owners.

I hear the guys in the Manly squad love his company at training however, due diligence by any club who wants to instil the right culture for junior players would probably think twice about employing him. okay

As for the Bulldogs, they just continually hire and fire those who cause trouble, so Walker going there may well be correct.

Too be honest, it would be sad to lose Walker after all Manly has done for him however, I don’t rate it as a big loss.

We can’t afford Walker to test the market and sign him on market value. We need him to sign just under market value for our squads sake. Considering what Des and the club has done coupled with loyalty you would think he would stay for unders.
Fingers crossed he signs as he has been a revelation coming on after 20min
You would of expected to know by now if some other club was interested in him, maybe managers doing a bit of behind the scenes stuff to jack up Manlys offer. Why would you leave a team that's on the up and Turbo charged..

Dogs just signed Braiden Burns. How many backs do the dogs need?
exactly ,they are long backs unless they are looking at him as a 6 ,but they have paid up big bucks for alot of wingers and outside backs but yet still havent nailed a 1/2 unless they will persist with Flanno. You would also have to think they are reaching the bream of the cap and the salary cup could be frothing over a touch.I guess Burton can play 6 to effect .

exactly ,they are long backs unless they are looking at him as a 6 ,but they have paid up big bucks for alot of wingers and outside backs but yet still havent nailed a 1/2 unless they will persist with Flanno. You would also have to think they are reaching the bream of the cap and the salary cup could be frothing over a touch.I guess Burton can play 6 to effect .
They bought Burton to play 5/8. With Naden, Burns, Cotric they have centre covered. With ten new buys they can't have any room left in the cap for Walker.

For those interested, the Sport page by Adam Lucius in this week's 'Northern Beaches Review' has this story:

"Is Dylan Walking Out?
'There are whispers Dylan Walker's management team is shipping the utility star around to rival clubs for next year. Walker's asking price is said to be around $450,000 a season. If the reports are true, it's a disappointing development. We all know loyalty is pretty much dead in the NRL but Walker owes Manly and coach Des Hasler big time. The Sea Eagles handed him a lifeline in 2016 after a messy exit from South Sydney and have stood by him during two highly publicised court appearances.
Hasler, who has been in Walker's corner all the way, has been busy working on a new deal to keep the 27-year-old. Let's hope talk of a possible exit is just one of those ugly off-season rugby league rumours that amount to nothing."

Surely his management team are "shopping" rather than shipping him around to rival clubs!

It's quite possibly true to try and get the best deal but one wonders why it's taking so long for him to be re-signed. I hardly think with his 'baggage' Walker's in a position to do deals, but rather take whatever's offered to him.

Is Dylan Walking Out?
Maybe journalistic babbling?

Whatever contract Walker signs, I am sure it will contain a last chance clause re off field misdemeanours. Maybe this could be a sticking point rather than money?

Des has high regard for Walker's ability and it seems unlikely he would want to weaken the squad by allowing both Suli & Walker to leave.

Maybe journalistic babbling?

Whatever contract Walker signs, I am sure it will contain a last chance clause re off field misdemeanours. Maybe this could be a sticking point rather than money?

Des has high regard for Walker's ability and it seems unlikely he would want to weaken the squad by allowing both Suli & Walker to leave.

Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the NRL contracting system. Walker's management has no loyalty to Manly. They are the ones shopping him around. No way we should even consider retaining him at 450 K for three years though. Not off the bench anyway. Maybe the answer is to try and retain him for one year only, and let him get overs with Redcliffe for 2023. Good luck with that Des. It's also easy for me to imagine Bullemor coming in to Walkers spot on the bench in 2022, and playing exactly the same role as Walker did for us this year. That being the case Lawton as 14, Bullemor 15, Taupau 16, Aloiai 17, Sipley/Davey 18 looks pretty good to me. A rejuvenated Paseka and Keppie as starting props. The rest of the pack as it was at the end of the season.

Last edited:
It's also easy for me to imagine Bullemor coming in to Walkers spot on the bench in 2022, and playing exactly the same role as Walker did for us this year.
I think their bench roles would be very different. Bullemor is developing as a ball running forward, whereas Walker is an experienced back with running, ball playing & kicking skills who has been playing in the middle.

Another sticking point in negotiations could be that Walker would like the opportunity to play in the backs again, i.e. centre. Five eighth is currently covered by Foran & Schuster.

I think their bench roles would be very different. Bullemor is developing as a ball running forward, whereas Walker is an experienced back with running, ball playing & kicking skills who has been playing in the middle.

Another sticking point in negotiations could be that Walker would like the opportunity to play in the backs again, i.e. centre. Five eighth is currently covered by Foran & Schuster.

Bullemor will surprise a lot of Silvertails with his ball playing skills. I don't see him being asked to utilise his kickings skills for us much though 😎. I can see him coming off the bench to play a middle role, like Walker did for us this year (if Walker decides to leave us). The exciting thing about him is his ability to play multiple roles in the pack. Bullemor has the versatility to play prop, second row and lock. Yes he will mostly be used as a ball running forward, off Jake, Josh, Croker, DCE, Foz, that's why Des has worked so hard to sign him. My point was more about Bullemor being able to play a Walker type role, without duplicating the exact role that Walker played. I actually hope Walker stays and either plays off the bench in his current role, or goes back to right centre for us in 2022.

450k for a utility role...no thanks. I can't see him going back to the centres as the current ones have earned their spots and we have youngsters coming through to contest those spots.

It feels like Des has warmed to bringing in younger guys because the game has changed so much.

Think that it is still a given that D C E goes so much better and offers much better value when he has a 6 partner who offers good direction and takes the pressure off him in general play . Green provided it in his stint at Manly , Foz definitely does , even Walker previously and their kicking games not insignificant also . Know that Josh went well against the Eels at 6 [ as did the whole side ] in the i st encounter this year and more then capable of playing there but quite a few factors [ including his bigger body now and general kicking game ] indicating that he may not be the best fit there now or going forward . Very hopefully will get one more good season out of Foz and then it could be an open question in Josh being considered there . if he consolidates his 2 nd row role and input next season and gets back to a hopefully high level of play there , every chance he will be staying there . Easier said then done expecting him to shed weight when his natural growth pattern will dictate otherwise , will most likely be looking for a replacement for Foz after next season , maybe it could be Schuster but every chance also he will continue his Manly career in the back row .
We have Cade Cust if it works with Shu on the edge but I think Shu will get the nod when Foz goes

We have Cade Cust if it works with Shu on the edge but I think Shu will get the nod when Foz goes
Interesting how circumstances change , initially thought that Cade [ Cust ] would be favoured as the starting 9 in 2021 before Croker established himself with his gritty and busy style of play there . Then of course with Foz going well from the start and Josh Schuster 's and Lawton 's versatility , limited prospects for Cade to be in the 17 . Young Latu Fainu is some time off to be ready but looks very likely as a future 6 for Manly . Weekes a lot of ability apparently but may have to lift his defence to be in contention as a i st grade 6 . Still think that Josh will be a long term partner with Olakau ' atu in the back row for Manly , could even rank over time as quite comparable as Beaver and Daniel Gartner there . Not being groomed as a future 6 but really like the look of Jamie Humphreys as the future 7 , quick , good skills and looks a good all round footy player . Really good to have Cade in the club , maybe could still get the opportunity to push as the i st grade 6 , maybe not .

We need to be careful discussing Walker's contract due his role on the bench...he is not a genuine bench player...he comes at the 20 minute mark and plays the rest of the match. We just give him the first 20 minutes off to avoid tiring him out in the early bash and barge so he can be more explosive when he does come on. He is playing big minutes in the middle...more than Taupau who is on double what Walker will be paid...it's the not the disproportionate amount it may seem to be for a 'utility'. He is worth 450k on what he delivered this season when you consider Suli just signed at Saints for 1.7 over 3 years.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4