Trials - Earn your spot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't agree maxta. They have there starting team already they play and train against the next best in opposed sessions.granted a couple might get picked on train and trial form but 95% of the team is already picked.

I do have to agree with this. Realistically, the coaching staff know who they want to play in what position by even this stage of the year and a lot of the goings on at training, other then fitness, would be working on those combinations. Sure there is competition for spots, but I would hazard a guess that most of the top 17 have already been identified. The players themselves might not have been told directly that they are in the intended top 17 (or maybe they have), but they can usually work that out for themselves by what combinations are being used at training.

You have to remember that saying there are spots up for grabs is mostly media and fan speculation designed to give people something to actually write or talk about in early January.

Thats
I do have to agree with this. Realistically, the coaching staff know who they want to play in what position by even this stage of the year and a lot of the goings on at training, other then fitness, would be working on those combinations. Sure there is competition for spots, but I would hazard a guess that most of the top 17 have already been identified. The players themselves might not have been told directly that they are in the intended top 17 (or maybe they have), but they can usually work that out for themselves by what combinations are being used at training.

You have to remember that saying there are spots up for grabs is mostly media and fan speculation designed to give people something to actually write or talk about in early January.
Thats the point H8 - There are 2 openings in the backs and about 4 in the forwards including bench spots....go through that list I have of 12-13 odd players fighting for a spot and define who has no chance in that group...I guarantee they all feel a show for Round 1.
There's no doubt your right with the Coaching staff having a top 17 odd squad TODAY....Just feel that what happens between now and Round 1 on the field will change the final team chosen.
Usually its almost iron clad at this stage, but there is simply more opportunities than I remember in 2017.
Apart from 10 -12 certainties, I don't think anyone is sure.

as others have said by the time the trials start the coaches have made up their mind on most of those positions - us fans who have not been there every day through training are often unaware - Green is an example from last year, he had secured his position before the trials even though he falls into the low probability of fighting for a spot in most people eyes here.

Kelly will be in the 17 as promised

Because he was part of the plan to keep DCE and is on big money.
SER8 pointed out- to a degree, the bigger contracted players WILL be first in line but, that's the point in 2017 - many players in line are on between $80,000 - $200,0000 making it best performers WILL get the nod....
There are basically 11 certain starters with 12-13 players on these smaller tier contracts fighting for the next 6 positions.
Brown - International with versatility...in the Myles basket - personally prefer others, but they don't
Sironen - Needs his toughness to match his skill set and will be there
Perrett - Big unit in line as impact
Wrights - Both unspectacular but experienced outside backs
Bainbridge - Nuggety backrower with local tag who is a show
Winterstein - Could easily get a spot...has potential and will improve
Lane - Dynamic player with plenty to prove - well in the running
Meehan - Massive X factor, dynamite or next Aussie heavyweight champ
Parker - Good quality local talent who IS in the running for a spot
Kelly - Signed to play top grade with all the assets and we hope....attitude
Lawrence - Proven talent...a definate in the mix
Schuster - Could we'll be that smokey outside back - great talent
Hoppa - In the T Peachey basket...versatile and super skilful - good show
It's hard to rule out ANY of the contenders and I stick by the fact ANY could play themselves in the Round 1 top 17 with outstanding trial form ....very healthy competition actually.
Good call Maxta
Except for ..... Brown - International with versatility...
Browns value to our top 17 is as much value as an empty Brown paper bag . Empty in the sense that he offers no impact and just makes the numbers . This is the do or die year for Barret and if he keeps the Ineffective International Brown in our the top side he will be doing his career a disservice .
9853552-Close-up-of-empty-brown-paper-bag-on-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

So what's happening with Brown, is he still being offered to other clubs or was that just speculation?
If they're trying to get rid of him maybe they'll keep him in reserve grade to force his hand.

So what's happening with Brown, is he still being offered to other clubs or was that just speculation?
If they're trying to get rid of him maybe they'll keep him in reserve grade to force his hand.
Seriously , which team would want Brown ?

as others have said by the time the trials start the coaches have made up their mind on most of those positions - us fans who have not been there every day through training are often unaware - Green is an example from last year, he had secured his position before the trials even though he falls into the low probability of fighting for a spot in most people eyes here.

Kelly will be in the 17 as promised

Lets prove the theory.
Name these 17 starters now
Come Round 1 there will be 3-5 Wrong - no doubt.
You think if Lane and Meehan are out of the 17 today (in the eyes of coaching staff) and in the trials absolutely kill it while the preferences....say Perrett and Winterstein - play average...the others won't leapfrog them....Rubbish....Can and Will happen.
If at training DCE throws a few bad passes and his understudy carves up, that's a different story - DCE will still be there game day and as already agreed 3 times now - there is a standout group the likes of Jake, DCE, Tom, Kapow ect who are Rock Solid regardless.
There is simply a massive amount of players thereabouts and though I agree there would be a preference for a 17 today with the Manly Coaching staff - Very Open and Very changeable.

Last edited:
The problem with trials is very few teams play there top grade at once. It's all done at narrabeen maxta.

Lets prove the theory.
Name these 17 starters now
Come Round 1 there will be 3-5 Wrong - no doubt.
You think if Lane and Meehan are out of the 17 today (in the eyes of coaching staff) and in the trials absolutely kill it while the preferences....say Perrett and Winterstein - play average...the others won't leapfrog them....Rubbish....Can and Will happen.
If at training DCE throws a few bad passes and his understudy carves up, that's a different story - DCE will still be there game day and as already agreed 3 times now - there is a standout group the likes of Jake, DCE, Tom, Kapow ect who are Rock Solid regardless.
There is simply a massive amount of players thereabouts and though I agree there would be a preference for a 17 today with the Manly Coaching staff - Very Open and Very changeable.
Are these who say the 17 is decided the same ones who are saying Snake and Skivvy will be playing?

The problem with trials is very few teams play there top grade at once. It's all done at narrabeen maxta.
In actual fact champ they do - its generally a half with mixed hopefuls and a few handy players ....then a half with that team expected to be close to the PREDICTED lineup.... also often 3rds in which different combinations will be used in key area's helping shape backup plans to cater for injury, particularly the spine, again feel these trials WILL influence pre determined opinion, due to how close the competition is over many positions....

Like i
In actual fact champ they do - its generally a half with mixed hopefuls and a few handy players ....then a half with that team expected to be close to the PREDICTED lineup.... also often 3rds in which different combinations will be used in key area's helping shape backup plans to cater for injury, particularly the spine, again feel these trials WILL influence pre determined opinion, due to how close the competition is over many positions....
Like said mate all at once.let it go mate it's already done

Questions I am looking forward to being answered.

1) Have Lane and Sironen learned to play with a pair?
2) Has Uate regained his drive and passion?
3) How has the preseason effected Parker ... is he a beast?
4) Can Kelly match it with the big boys?
5) Has Winterstein made the transition to League?
6) Has Api been practising his dummy half passing?
7) Can Lussick maintain his new found dominance?
8) Is AFB fitter and better? Is he the BEAST we wanted and hoped for?
9) Can Lawrence earn the nickname Lazarus 11?
10) Has Baz grown into the job?

I think these trials and the 9's are very important.

Questions I am looking forward to being answered.

1) Have Lane and Sironen learned to play with a pair?
2) Has Uate regained his drive and passion?
3) How has the preseason effected Parker ... is he a beast?
4) Can Kelly match it with the big boys?
5) Has Winterstein made the transition to League?
6) Has Api been practising his dummy half passing?
7) Can Lussick maintain his new found dominance?
8) Is AFB fitter and better? Is he the BEAST we wanted and hoped for?
9) Can Lawrence earn the nickname Lazarus 11?
10) Has Baz grown into the job?

I think these trials and the 9's are very important.
Some seriously good questions there Woodsie - in fact - the answers could well decide the exact point of this thread mate!!

- Is Nate going to perform as impressively as the size of his head
- Will Hastings be a team player
- Has Jorge learnt to get both feet in the air at the same time
- Is Omar really gone (please provide the source for any answers)

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8