Trials - Earn your spot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Trials are usually about fitness and putting the gloss on combinations, with the odd rookie looking to shine.
Not this Manly 2017 squad.
This is players looking to cement a top 17 spot in a team with openings in most positions.
Wing, centre, back row, Hooker and even front row seem to be open as to who gets the gig for round 1....
Maybe this is healthy competition rather than players owning the spot and going through the motions.
There are plenty of options and there's no doubt a few lessor profiles will step up and shine, which personally - I like.
The 17 is far from set and trials and 9's will be more of an opportunity than I can remember at Manly for a shot at this pre season period....interesting times.

I think a change in approach is required given so many new players- previous the 'NRL' team has a full run for 20 mins and the other 60 mins there is either a mix of NRL/NSW cup players or mostly NSW cup and Under 20s etc.

At least one of the trials should be a full dress rehearsal for round 1 even given the risk of injury.

Given our rush of early home games we have to hit the ground running.

I don't think we had the right trial schedule last year. I'd like at least two hit outs against NRL sides rather than a 2nd tier club.

It won't make a massive difference, but maybe just enough to have the guys ready for the physicality of round 1.

We seemed way off the pace from a match fitness perspective in the early rounds last year - so I hope our training methods have adjusted accordingly.

If we can get through the pre season without the injuries we saw last year then that puts us ahead already.

Definitely a couple of trials should help consideration ,but the Mickey Mouse 9's should hardly be a judging block...
Generally
Definitely a couple of trials should help consideration ,but the Mickey Mouse 9's should hardly be a judging block...
Would generally agree 100% with that call, but due to the outside backs being an absolute dogfight for both a wing and centre spot.....the open spaces of 9's can certainly help find those with speed , agility and sniff out a try....I think Bevan French claimed his position based on 9's as an example.
Uate and Walker if fit will claim a spot and Taufua well in the picture - no doubt the 9's will help indicate what outside backs are in the running.

I think a change in approach is required given so many new players- previous the 'NRL' team has a full run for 20 mins and the other 60 mins there is either a mix of NRL/NSW cup players or mostly NSW cup and Under 20s etc.

At least one of the trials should be a full dress rehearsal for round 1 even given the risk of injury.

Given our rush of early home games we have to hit the ground running.

I think that was part of our problem in 2016, the trials were a waste of time!

Spots will be granted 90% on training 10% on trial form like every other year and every other team

Spots will be granted 90% on training 10% on trial form like every other year and every other team
What planet is that??
Other Manly sides like the recent dominating team 2007-2011 you could name 16 of the 17 players in the squad before a ball is kicked.....that is far from the case now.
Also on the selected side, every year it will be picked by ability more so than training - hence the trials will count for more in 2017 as there are far more unfinalised positions....you can bet there are plenty of the lessor likes at ALL NRL clubs busting their a## more than the established stars who will not see the top grade - maybe 2% will make it in based on training - not 90%....however , if a few players in the Perrett/Meehen/Lane/Parker/Kelly/Hastings/Sironen PLAY great - will be rewarded based on TRIAL form.

What planet is that??
Other Manly sides like the recent dominating team 2007-2011 you could name 16 of the 17 players in the squad before a ball is kicked.....that is far from the case now.
Also on the selected side, every year it will be picked by ability more so than training - hence the trials will count for more in 2017 as there are far more unfinalised positions....you can bet there are plenty of the lessor likes at ALL NRL clubs busting their a## more than the established stars who will not see the top grade - maybe 2% will make it in based on training - not 90%....however , if a few players in the Perrett/Meehen/Lane/Parker/Kelly/Hastings/Sironen PLAY great - will be rewarded based on TRIAL form.
Don't agree maxta. They have there starting team already they play and train against the next best in opposed sessions.granted a couple might get picked on train and trial form but 95% of the team is already picked.

What planet is that.
There is more vacancies and more opportunities. @Fluffy makes a reasonable point though. How much do trials matter?. If I think back to last year, Nathan Green was the surprise selection. He didn't seem to do magical things in a trial. He was said to be a good trainer. This year there is more spots vacant, and no doubt those who may get first crack in A grade, will get a run in a trial.

I wonder if trial form is more a case of, a chance to reinforce your claim, if you have a shocker you could play yourself out of the top team, as opposed to playing your way into the top team. These blokes are training and having contact drills that often at training, I suspect a coaches mind would be pretty much made up.

But with Baz and Boz. Who knows.

I think this is an unusual year.

With so many positions up for grabs ... and with many of the contenders either untried in FG or on redemption road, they will all be expected to show something on the paddock.

With Lane/Sironen/Winterstein vying for a second row spot I think trial form will be critical as to who gets the first shot.

Same with the backs, I think Kelly will be made to earn his position.

Don't agree maxta. They have there starting team already they play and train against the next best in opposed sessions.granted a couple might get picked on train and trial form but 95% of the team is already picked.
Usually - 100% agree.....basically the team picks itself bar 1 or 2 players at most.....
Just think the squad is so open in 2017, its closer to 6-7 players who are fighting for a spot....an unusually big amount compared to 1 or maybe 2 surprises....
For example - IMO only 100% in if fit -
BACKS
*Tommy T
*Walker
*Uate
*Green
*DCE
2 backs that are far from settled...
FORWARDS
*Myles(like it or not)
*Lussick
*Kapow
*Jake
*AFB
*API/Hastings(1 or both)
Thats 11or12 with
Brown/Sironen/Lane/Meehan/Lawrence/Perrett/Parker/Kelly/Wrights(s) looking for a spot...then maybe a smokey like Schuster or another Blacktown player fighting for the spotlight...its simply an unpredictable and exciting time to see how this plays out.

What worries me is when the top 17 will start working on combos and gelling together. Last year we were told that it would take time for results and with another rebuild it's no different this year. Obviously I'm excited about the new faces too. Fun times

Plodder earns his spot because he is ........ feel free to elaborate
Because he was part of the plan to keep DCE and is on big money.
SER8 pointed out- to a degree, the bigger contracted players WILL be first in line but, that's the point in 2017 - many players in line are on between $80,000 - $200,0000 making it best performers WILL get the nod....
There are basically 11 certain starters with 12-13 players on these smaller tier contracts fighting for the next 6 positions.
Brown - International with versatility...in the Myles basket - personally prefer others, but they don't
Sironen - Needs his toughness to match his skill set and will be there
Perrett - Big unit in line as impact
Wrights - Both unspectacular but experienced outside backs
Bainbridge - Nuggety backrower with local tag who is a show
Winterstein - Could easily get a spot...has potential and will improve
Lane - Dynamic player with plenty to prove - well in the running
Meehan - Massive X factor, dynamite or next Aussie heavyweight champ
Parker - Good quality local talent who IS in the running for a spot
Kelly - Signed to play top grade with all the assets and we hope....attitude
Lawrence - Proven talent...a definate in the mix
Schuster - Could we'll be that smokey outside back - great talent
Hoppa - In the T Peachey basket...versatile and super skilful - good show
It's hard to rule out ANY of the contenders and I stick by the fact ANY could play themselves in the Round 1 top 17 with outstanding trial form ....very healthy competition actually.

Usually - 100% agree.....basically the team picks itself bar 1 or 2 players at most.....
Just think the squad is so open in 2017, its closer to 6-7 players who are fighting for a spot....an unusually big amount compared to 1 or maybe 2 surprises....
For example - IMO only 100% in if fit -
BACKS
*Tommy T
*Walker
*Uate
*Green
*DCE
2 backs that are far from settled...
FORWARDS
*Myles(like it or not)
*Lussick
*Kapow
*Jake
*AFB
*API/Hastings(1 or both)
I agree with your list of certainties except that Brown is in while Hastings is only a possible.
I reckon Barrett will definitely start the year with Brown and Mathew Wright as they are experienced and solid and the team is going to have enough new faces anyway, so whatever stability we can achieve for the opening rounds will be very important.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8