trial vs Chooks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I made the mistake of watching the replay on NRL.com. Last week’s commentary was poor, this week took it to a whole new level.

Why does every amateur caller believe they need to elongate every syllable that comes out of thhheeeeiiiiirrrr moooouuuuthh?

Then the constant “understength roosters side” then says “manly are understrengthed too, but only slightly” - they didn’t have DCE, Tom, Jake, Marty, AFB, Api, Joel T, Taufua, Tanginoa and Paeseka - if 10 players that will be in your 17 is only slightly understrengthed then I’d hate to see us in an injury crisis.

It really was atrocious.

Next year they should pay Billy Birmingham to come out of retirement and commentate. He’s a Manly fan too!

I didn’t mind last night’s commentary though. It’s a tough gig, particularly commentating solo, and I thought he gave it a crack.

(By the way, does anyone know why it is “commentator” and not “commenter”; “commentating” and not “commenting”?)

Good to get a win.. Not sure whether to be happy or not because quite a few of the impressive guys like Miiski , Saunders etc aren’t in the 30 and won’t play anyway. Hard to guage really with no real class in the opposition. Best thing was no injuries.

And surely Des can’t run with a Parker Suli centre combination after that. God help us if they do as Mark from Brisbane commented.Parker just never impacts. Hard to believe a bloke like Suli has so little game awareness.NRL matches are a grind usually decided by possession. Drop it 5 times in an NRL fixture and you get beat by 50.

Perrett has a lot of talent. Really need him to progress but he often flatters against weak sides. Make or break for him this year .Cust was impressive but I gave a feeling Des will go with Hodko for experience. I hope not. We need a different path now.Stil think Elgey should get first crack. Kid can play and we need to show confidence in him.

Tigers at full strength minus Lawrence. Sunny day at Leichhardt. Bring it on.

Last edited:
Waddell was an absolute stand-out in the first half. He was literally a class above every other foward on the field last night.

Cust had a great impact, directed play well, was involved in everything. Possibly ran himself too much. That aspect of his game seemed predictable by the end, although it was highly successful, albeit against weak opposition.

Elgey . Excellent short kicking game. Very impressed. Hope Des picks him over Hodko.

Docker Clay. Impressed in the 2nd half. Seems small, but certainly zippy out of dummy half.

Suli got really involved early through the middle off Faniu, which had me excited. Dropped his head (and his involvement) after he kept dropping the ball.

Anderson looks pretty good. He glides over the field.

Refs were excellent. Please just let games flow like that for the rest of the year. They got a bit whistle happy with 10 mins to go, but overall were invisible.

Waddell was an absolute stand-out in the first half. He was literally a class above every other foward on the field last night.

Cust had a great impact, directed play well, was involved in everything. Possibly ran himself too much. That aspect of his game seemed predictable by the end, although it was highly successful, albeit against weak opposition.

Elgey . Excellent short kicking game. Very impressed. Hope Des picks him over Hodko.

Docker Clay. Impressed in the 2nd half. Seems small, but certainly zippy out of dummy half.

Suli got really involved early through the middle off Faniu, which had me excited. Dropped his head (and his involvement) after he kept dropping the ball.

Anderson looks pretty good. He glides over the field.

Refs were excellent. Please just let games flow like that for the rest of the year. They got a bit whistle happy with 10 mins to go, but overall were invisible.

Completely agree with you on Waddell, mate. Super impressive and I think will push extremely hard for a bench spot come round one.

Yep. Waddell was good. What’s the point of trials if blokes play well and don’t get a spot that is up for grabs. Of the forwards in the top 30 he was best.
If F Winterstein is in first grade ahead of him it will be a travesty. Surely we have seen enough of a 4 runs per match second rower. Waddell has effort written all over him.

Last edited:
I know it was just a trial with plenty of players missing but this was a Hasler coached team he seems to get the best out of guy's that nobody has heard off. I'm pumped and cannot wait for the season proper to kick off.
Hales should get some credit too,he recruited and has been coaching and developing these guys.I think Workers had the best defensive record in the ISP last year,might make a good NRL defensive co-ordinator...Some of the more impressive ones like MIski/DeLuis and Dockar-Clay have spent some time with the NRL squad after the early pre-season.

Not too much mention of Garrick from last night but being selected as a winger for the two trials now probably means that this will be his position if in the run on side for round one .Unless this Miinski and good wing prospect is included in the top 30 squad fairly promptly [ Wonder where Des and Crusher recruited him from ] Parker and Suli in the centres ? may be not too much alternative . Same with Elgey unless Des currently has more confidence in Hodko . Jetski most likely on the bench and with not too many options also , maybe Perrett and Sipley on the interchange . Saunders looks like he is a goer , can he also make a case for late top 30 inclusion . Frank Winter looks like he hasn "t done himself any favours , Anderson is a good player but looks like he will still have to bide his time for i st grade . Waddell and Funa and Cust as outsiders , Who knows . At least there is some more better depth emerging now . Like last week , appreciation to all of the posters with their feedback and impressions of last night"s hit out

Just watched the highlights. I'm sure that was Grant Denyer commentating

For those at the game how did Elliot go at fullback ?? does he look solid enough to get us through till Turbo is back ?

Good to get a win.. Not sure whether to be happy or not because quite a few of the impressive guys like Miiski , Saunders etc aren’t in the 30 and won’t play anyway. Hard to guage really with no real class in the opposition. Best thing was no injuries.

And surely Des can’t run with a Parker Suli centre combination after that. God help us if they do as Mark from Brisbane commented.Parker just never impacts. Hard to believe a bloke like Suli has so little game awareness.NRL matches are a grind usually decided by possession. Drop it 5 times in an NRL fixture and you get beat by 50.

Perrett has a lot of talent. Really need him to progress but he often flatters against weak sides. Make or break for him this year .Cust was impressive but I gave a feeling Des will go with Hodko for experience. I hope not. We need a different path now.Stil think Elgey should get first crack. Kid can play and we need to show confidence in him.

Tigers at full strength minus Lawrence. Sunny day at Leichhardt. Bring it on.

Tigers are always a far harder proposition at Leichhardt. And first game of the season...they'll want to impress the new coach Maguire

Not too much mention of Garrick from last night but being selected as a winger for the two trials now probably means that this will be his position if in the run on side for round one .Unless this Miinski and good wing prospect is included in the top 30 squad fairly promptly [ Wonder where Des and Crusher recruited him from ] Parker and Suli in the centres ? may be not too much alternative . Same with Elgey unless Des currently has more confidence in Hodko . Jetski most likely on the bench and with not too many options also , maybe Perrett and Sipley on the interchange . Saunders looks like he is a goer , can he also make a case for late top 30 inclusion . Frank Winter looks like he hasn "t done himself any favours , Anderson is a good player but looks like he will still have to bide his time for i st grade . Waddell and Funa and Cust as outsiders , Who knows . At least there is some more better depth emerging now . Like last week , appreciation to all of the posters with their feedback and impressions of last night"s hit out
In regards to Miski,Hales recruited him from the RMC from Wentworthville,just like DeLuis.Not sure why Saunders is a smokey to people,Des recruited him from Penrith and played NRL for Des at the dogs.He got lost in the numbers when Pay took over...but again,was recruited by Hales before Des was even appointed coach,just sayin....For me,would like to see Kioa out of the 30 (that would give us 2 spots out of the necessary 29 players to be named left)and bring in 2 of DeLuis/Saunders/Miski into the 30,we don't need to name the 30th player yet...

Last edited:
I made the mistake of watching the replay on NRL.com. Last week’s commentary was poor, this week took it to a whole new level.

Why does every amateur caller believe they need to elongate every syllable that comes out of thhheeeeiiiiirrrr moooouuuuthh?

Then the constant “understength roosters side” then says “manly are understrengthed too, but only slightly” - they didn’t have DCE, Tom, Jake, Marty, AFB, Api, Joel T, Taufua, Tanginoa and Paeseka - if 10 players that will be in your 17 is only slightly understrengthed then I’d hate to see us in an injury crisis.

It really was atrocious.
“Hey google, commentate this game in the thickest bogan accent possible...”

The alternative is Garrick and Funa in centres Manly Al. Garrick came here as a centre and Funa looks a good prospect.

Didn’t we see enough of Suli and Parker being posted last year. And they don’t score tries.

Youth , speed and potential. Garrick and Funa.
Personally thought that Garrick was more suited as a centre for Manly this year . Could still happen but the coaching staff seem to be thinking differently right now . Same with Parker and Suli . Apparently Funa has gone up to a better level in pre season and i am sure that all options are still to be considered . Just have to wait and see naturally for the eventual i st round make up Pleased that Elliott has handled the full back role reasonably well so far .

Yep Elliot is solid but won’t be flashy like Tommy. Tommy makes mistakes but one thing people underestimate is his support play. Not in Stewart class yet but getting there. Our support play was non existent outside him last year.

Elliott has a very high rate of tries to matches. I think about 29 ftom 40 ( compare that to Suli( three from 30+). Those sort of numbers suggests his support play will be good but I can’t see him damaging the line at all with his own skills.

Minus Tommy = minus points however you look at it. Hopefully he is right for round 1.

I got right into the local league up here on the Central Coast last year, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheap entry, cheap beer, raw footy, ever rawer supporters.
Do you remember the Saturday league up here?
That was as raw as.
And when they came up with the brilliant idea of selling unleaded beer only.
That lasted about a week...

Last year ... I think Suli dropped the ball once in 15 first grade games ..... hands were not his problem ... they are not his problem now ..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4