Trial observations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Doesn’t mean he wants to risk our only genuine hooker for injury. I still think that is what he was doing. Why else play a prop at hooker?

Even if Birt is depth - he is the only depth we have.
Same reason Boyle played 13, Des was giving minutes to middles, where match fitness matters most. Croker will be 9 Schuster 14. Birt won't be in the side.

I think the people raving about Schuster ... are the same people that like shiny things ...

And before you all go all postal ... I think he will be a star ...

But we are talking about now, and whilst he did some good things, and looks very very talented ... he also has quite a few weak spots to work on ...

A solid year of hard work and he will be all every body hopes he will be ... but for mine I am starting with Foran at 5/8 ...

I think that’s why Foran was brought back ( that and the TPA).

The Shoe will learn an awful lot from him in 2021.

I think the people raving about Schuster ... are the same people that like shiny things ...

And before you all go all postal ... I think he will be a star ...

But we are talking about now, and whilst he did some good things, and looks very very talented ... he also has quite a few weak spots to work on ...

A solid year of hard work and he will be all every body hopes he will be ... but for mine I am starting with Foran at 5/8 ...

They aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm raving about him and recognise he isnt the finished product and has things to work on.

He is a 19 year old rookie, of course he does.

That said I haven't been this impressed with a youngster since Tommy.

Before that was DCE, Will Hoppa, Foran and Snake

I'm raving about him and recognise he isnt the finished product and has things to work on.

The more Gametime he gets the better.
Look at Cleary from penriths journey.

The more Gametime he gets the better.
Look at Cleary from penriths journey.

Perfect example, and to be honest Cleary isn't the finished product yet.

He has years if improvement in him but we have a good one here.

Let enjoy the ride and not jump on every misstep because he isn't prime Brad Fittler as a rookie

I agree with you ... and said as much ... but over-looking ( not saying you are ) .. his current short comings is a recipe for disappointment. He has a lot of work to do to become a top line 5/8th for 80 mins ... by the end of the year he should be there ...

These rule changes make it even more critical to not give away possession and dumb penalties which seem to be Manlys biggest problem of late. Also, we are not dominant enough around the ruck. I think once Tom returns and Faniu we will be able to exploit the new rules much better in attack, its our ill discipline that is a concern

These rule changes make it even more critical to not give away possession and dumb penalties which seem to be Manlys biggest problem of late. Also, we are not dominant enough around the ruck. I think once Tom returns and Faniu we will be able to exploit the new rules much better in attack, its our ill discipline that is a concern
True.

I noticed our forwards wrestle a fair bit in attack, which gains post-contact metres but it prolongs the tackle . The tigers forwards didn't really do this, they concentrated on playing the ball asap, and there was usually a runner already in motion. They had often played the ball before the manly defender could get to marker.

But worth a shot hey.

Weeks hardly set the game on fire with ball or boot
We got flogged, rag dolled . Defence was on top of us
They fielded a much better side for majority of the match
Schuster just had a different mindset , and placed himself in the line to kick
Service from hooker was far worse than levi
But still he got as many repeat sets as we did in a month of footy last year, maybe more

You dont have to agree with my opinion , but you dont have to deny these thoughts either. Indeed i was being a **** stirrer , but that does not mean there wasnt any truth in it either

Mindest and kicking in the line . I will leave you with that
If not go back and watch the tapes

Do you think schusters solo try had anything to do with defenders being hesitant about his kick game ?

Sorry to stir you up though. Pretty sorry
Not stirred just shaken ;-). I rated Schuster's game highly. I have been a fan of his in the lower grades for years. I think his kicking was good considering his experience and he is a triple threat - kick, pass, run. No arguments there. I just don't think the defensive attention on him in a trial compares to DCE in the season proper.

I agree with you ... and said as much ... but over-looking ( not saying you are ) .. his current short comings is a recipe for disappointment. He has a lot of work to do to become a top line 5/8th for 80 mins ... by the end of the year he should be there ...
I saw it like this ...
In the 80 minutes that he was on the field he scored a try , set up another , and got us a 40 /20 and he did it with his own spine . No regular fullback , hooker or half to support him .
He was the most dominant half on the field watching the replay (thanks to @40 nil ) in only his second NRL game . Simply out standing . His confidence and performance can only grow with the ball in his hands and out on the field for 80 minutes , Xfactor extraordinaire

Harper ..No zip zip Man but his one on one courageous defence was as good as I have seen from world class players

Tip Toes ... He came with plenty of hype and potential but was Very underwhelming on the day

Parker .... Big Heart but comes with a 2 speed gear box . Exposed by superior speed . Very concerned that he looked very groggy once again after a regular tackle 3 and a half minutes into the game

Suli.... The most Powerful back on the field with little opportunity to show more

Ruben.... No impact

The young half back .... Needs to eat more Weetbix

Paseka Kappow Sirro Jetski Keppie ... Had their moments but we need a bit more

Davey .. showed plenty of heart

Aloia ..... Vigorous display

No one else stood out .

Last edited:
Same reason Boyle played 13, Des was giving minutes to middles, where match fitness matters most. Croker will be 9 Schuster 14. Birt won't be in the side.
Quite possible Will. Although, I don't think Sioni is going to be in the 17 either, so I don't know if Des was overly concerned with getting him match fit for reggies. I would think its more about experience for them and seeing who can make the step up. Who looks right at home and who looks out of place,

The fact is we have no Manase and no Cust, leaving Crocker by his lonesome. Would you want to risk your only genuine hooker and last back-up if you had just seen Cust go down with an injury? I don't think I would.

I agree that Birt won't be in the 17, but I'd say he is next cab off the rank in our most depleted position.

Not stirred just shaken ;-). I rated Schuster's game highly. I have been a fan of his in the lower grades for years. I think his kicking was good considering his experience and he is a triple threat - kick, pass, run. No arguments there. I just don't think the defensive attention on him in a trial compares to DCE in the season proper.

Cool
If i am being honest i agree 100% about the pressure differences. I do feel though a lot of that pressure is self inflicted . DCE kicking is telegraphed as he most often camps himself 10 m behind play behind a forward for protection. He is behind everyone so options to pass to another kicker or decoy are nil. His positioning is what leaves him as the only kicker

I have said this a zillion times. If he were in the line and moving his kick would be way better with momentum and he would be no less a target as the only kicker rather than on the back foot and giving away metres and precious field position . And if not he can pass if he has been trapped as they are still onside. In happens to all other teams at times .

Having a decent pass from hooker out in front of him making it harder on the markers to chase would be a big advantage . But levi had this mostly and didnt get a chance to use it. I will be super surprised if croker or cust have it

Its the markers that are the problem with kick chase pressure. The idea is to evade them , not give them a target on there pat malone

But schuster went well displaying these attributes often second pass out. He seemed to have time and they say that is a good sign. Does positioning buy you time or was he indeed under the radar

Quite possible Will. Although, I don't think Sioni is going to be in the 17 either, so I don't know if Des was overly concerned with getting him match fit for reggies. I would think its more about experience for them and seeing who can make the step up. Who looks right at home and who looks out of place,

The fact is we have no Manase and no Cust, leaving Crocker by his lonesome. Would you want to risk your only genuine hooker and last back-up if you had just seen Cust go down with an injury? I don't think I would.

I agree that Birt won't be in the 17, but I'd say he is next cab off the rank in our most depleted position.
Obviously only guessing at Des's thinking but I think Birt is only getting a start if Croker Cust and Foz are all unavailable at the same time. Sione may be closer than we think, competing with Boyle and Sipley for next Prop off the rank.

But schuster went well displaying these attributes often second pass out. He seemed to have time and they say that is a good sign. Does positioning buy you time or was he indeed under the radar
Bit of both I'd say. I can't wait to see him line up for us. The question is what role will he play and will he be used as a kicker? If he does end up at 5/8 and plays well, teams will start targeting him soon enough. I think he is a natural though and has good instincts which when coupled with experience will see him make the right decision more often than not.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8