Trial observations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe Des just used the trial as an opportunity to give most of our young & inexperienced players a taste of first grade without the pressure of playing for competition points?

He very well may have said "go out there & have fun & just play your natural game".

No point in busting your erse in the heat for bragging rights over a trial match result.

It seems trials have become a more serious business now that they're being televised - I watched the Roosters vs Raiders trial & was surprised to see both teams fielded pretty much their first 13 for most of the game.

I dont see the point in that - why risk injury (both football & heat related) in a game 2 weeks before the season starts?

If you look purely at yesterday’s performance and if that’s the side that runs out we’ll be lapped several times BUT let’s not forget the Tigers had a virtual full strength team for most of the day, whereas ours was very bits and pieces.

Let’s have this discussion if we get done 72-4 in game 1.
But it WAS the Tigers. They have been terrible for a decade. They don't usually set a very high bar...

Maybe Schuster & Foran would combine better with DCE at dummy half for the first part of the season? (won't happen, of course)

I agree that his kicking game needs to be more selective. This is something that can be learned through experience. Still, his kicks were quite productive - one was a 40-20 & another was a try assist. Overall, he contributed two try assists & and a try. I don't remember him missing any tackles. Not bad for a youngster playing his second game of senior footy!

We all agree it was a crap performance by Manly. However, have we ever been so concerned about trial form in the past? At least, Des will have a guide for his first round selections, which no doubt, will be contrary to what most forum members would prefer :)
Also Schuster got 2 repeat sets. Something we struggled with last year.

It's worth watching the last 6 or 7 minutes again on the replay.

Birt made a huge difference, and Daniel Ala in #23 looks really good in the centres.

I don't think I noticed Koula all day - apparently he was #21 but didn't get much of a run?

I know I keep banging on about him, but Toff Sipley looked very fit and committed, considering he's been out of the game for effectively 18 months now. Formed a decent combo with Keppie when they were on the field together. Lots more effective than Morgan Boyle anyway. And probably ahead of Saddler, in the limited game time he had.

Last edited:
Des still doing dumb ****, playing a prop at hooker for most of the game which is even dumber when you look at Birt doing well in his 10 minutes.

I was surprised to ... but as the game went on I started to think how does a prop suddenly start doing a job at hooker without any training there ... who said go there, or did he just go there .. was he always a plan D ... then I thought ... maybe he does ... then I thought Dessie may be leaving him there to see if he is a serious contender for 10/20 mins a game .... then I thought the kid has a pretty good motor for someone that hasn't played in over a year ...

Then I stopped thinking ... because it started taking me to weird places ..

Birt made a huge difference, and Daniel Ala in #23 looks really good in the centres.

I don't think I noticed Koula all day - apparently he was #21 but didn't get much of a run?
Its true - we did have a prop playing a dummy half for much of the game...

21 played left wing last 10 mins

Which is absolutely amazing . surrounded by reserve graders. He kicked from in the line which helped and had no recognised kicker on the other side. Blows that theory out of the water
Hardly. Schuster in a trial match isn't getting the attention DCE does in NRL games with no other kicking option. To suggest it's the same is purely trying to feed your theory and not based in reality.

I know I keep banging on about him, but Toff Ripley looked very fit and committed, considering he's been out of the game for effectively 18 months now. Formed a decent combo with Keppie when they were on the field together. Lots more effective than Morgan Boyle anyway. And probably ahead of Saddler, in the limited game time he had.
I thought he was pretty good too! He’s a bit of different body shape to our other props. I think he fits well into our rotation as a bit of a point of difference and he hits hard

I thought Schuster’s game was full of individual highlights but I wasn’t impressed with the way he marshalled the team. Foran will give the side more direction. Schuster will be an outstanding player but I can see the aspects he is working on (as Des put it).
I respect your views, in all honesty do you see us making the 8 this year? I don't. I see a squad that depending on injuries are at best a 9th and at worst a 14th finish team.

Before everyone slashes their wrists how about we get through round 1 first , that’s the real test not some trial where the team was bits and pieces of the 30.

All your thoughts might be exactly the same if we are dusted by 50 in game 1 BUT let’s at least make it a real contest first before putting the sword through them for 21.
Where would the fun in that be?

Maybe Schuster & Foran would combine better with DCE at dummy half for the first part of the season? (won't happen, of course)

I agree that his kicking game needs to be more selective. This is something that can be learned through experience. Still, his kicks were quite productive - one was a 40-20 & another was a try assist. Overall, he contributed two try assists & and a try. I don't remember him missing any tackles. Not bad for a youngster playing his second game of senior footy!

We all agree it was a crap performance by Manly. However, have we ever been so concerned about trial form in the past? At least, Des will have a guide for his first round selections, which no doubt, will be contrary to what most forum members would prefer :)
Oh he was outstanding - fab performance - just saying he needs to be more selective about when he kicks and why. Agree totally

Hardly. Schuster in a trial match isn't getting the attention DCE does in NRL games with no other kicking option. To suggest it's the same is purely trying to feed your theory and not based in reality.

But worth a shot hey.

Weeks hardly set the game on fire with ball or boot
We got flogged, rag dolled . Defence was on top of us
They fielded a much better side for majority of the match
Schuster just had a different mindset , and placed himself in the line to kick
Service from hooker was far worse than levi
But still he got as many repeat sets as we did in a month of footy last year, maybe more

You dont have to agree with my opinion , but you dont have to deny these thoughts either. Indeed i was being a **** stirrer , but that does not mean there wasnt any truth in it either

Mindest and kicking in the line . I will leave you with that
If not go back and watch the tapes

Do you think schusters solo try had anything to do with defenders being hesitant about his kick game ?

Sorry to stir you up though. Pretty sorry

I think the people raving about Schuster ... are the same people that like shiny things ...

And before you all go all postal ... I think he will be a star ...

But we are talking about now, and whilst he did some good things, and looks very very talented ... he also has quite a few weak spots to work on ...

A solid year of hard work and he will be all every body hopes he will be ... but for mine I am starting with Foran at 5/8 ...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4