Trial observations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought Schuster’s game was full of individual highlights but I wasn’t impressed with the way he marshalled the team. Foran will give the side more direction. Schuster will be an outstanding player but I can see the aspects he is working on (as Des put it).

Yeah currently the team is too attack crazy. He has some great skills but we still need a calm head who knows how to get a team to the finals in a long season. We dont want to win every game by 50 or lose everygame by 50

At this point i dont see he and dce as a combo

Here here
I think you are being kind !
Apart from some Schuster moments the rest of the team was absolutely rubbish- 0/10 on all 3 KPI areas for me, and with NO DESIRE you will get nowhere. We lost 9 out of the last 10 in 2020, and to serve this rubbish up is totally unacceptable when players are competing for starting positions In 2021. Come on Des earn your keep get your finger out of your arse and get some desire into this rabble and make them proud to wear a Manly jersey !!!!

I think you are being kind !
Apart from some Schuster moments the rest of the team was absolutely rubbish- 0/10 on all 3 KPI areas for me, and with NO DESIRE you will get nowhere. We lost 9 out of the last 10 in 2020, and to serve this rubbish up is totally unacceptable when players are competing for starting positions In 2021. Come on Des earn your keep get your finger out of your arse and get some desire into this rabble and make them proud to wear a Manly jersey !!!!
I have to say it a lack of desire and laziness amongst playing group.
In 2019 they played long periods without Tom, we made finals and where very unlucky not to be in prelim. I be honest and can't see last season terrible attitude to defence changing. Imo Des will be putting broom through the joint, Suli always going to be a lazy sod and he got company. It won't get any better.

Before everyone slashes their wrists how about we get through round 1 first , that’s the real test not some trial where the team was bits and pieces of the 30.

All your thoughts might be exactly the same if we are dusted by 50 in game 1 BUT let’s at least make it a real contest first before putting the sword through them for 21.

I thought Schuster’s game was full of individual highlights but I wasn’t impressed with the way he marshalled the team. Foran will give the side more direction. Schuster will be an outstanding player but I can see the aspects he is working on (as Des put it).
Able to mention what the go is with Houmole [ Olokau - atu ] Just seems so little attention to him recently on his availability and general footy situation with Manly .

Just watched some highlights but seems to be a consensus that there is a bit of a fitness and recovery concern and ongoing defensive issues . Seemed to be noticeable that quite a few players bulked up a bit in the off season but maybe the endurance factor has not kicked in yet . Fortunate that D C E and Jake are fairly durable but apparently will need an improvement in that area once the comp proper starts . looks like Garrick and Tippy Toes were a bit ordinary and just have to hope that Saab can measure up , unless Funa comes into contention as a winger . Schuster has got a lot to offer and really has to get a lot of game time , Davey and Jet ski apparenly did O K and a couple of the props, Siro below par Burbo looks to have good potential but has got to get some more grunt and better positioning in defence from what i saw briefly . Harper looks up to the task at full back . Wouldn 't be too harsh on young Weekes , i st outing at that level and have only previously noticed him as a 6 and one , surely can get better into the future . Unfortunately seem to have had not much improvement in a solid defensive structure , hope that the returning players can help in that regard , not going to be very competitive if the side continues to leak so many points . And as for a functional 9 or back up , can only hope for the best

• Again, I've got NO idea what Hasler was trying to get out of that game with the team selected and crazy interchange process. You could see what the Tigers were doing, interchanging experienced players in crucial positions and at least keeping a rudder in the water to steer the team. I didn't have a clue what Manly's trial / game plan was, no direction and heads were down with hands on knees in the first 5 mins.
  • 60% slower than the Tiges in all areas, particularly getting to feet both in defence and attack....Online defence and line speed was lower grade level, defence starts between the ears.
  • Sironen and Suli very disppointing, Parker defo copped another head knock.
  • Harper, Davey, Shuster, had a crack and thought Sipley/Josh A / Ben T showed a bit.
But Crikey, Maguire completely out coached Hasler and got his team that winning tinny crack in the sheds, so important in all team sports.

I thought we was quite slow to play the ball. Not sure if it was an attitude thing but he will need to fix that. He looked super pissed off after scoring that last try.

• Again, I've got NO idea what Hasler was trying to get out of that game with the team selected and crazy interchange process. You could see what the Tigers were doing, interchanging experienced players in crucial positions and at least keeping a rudder in the water to steer the team. I didn't have a clue what Manly's trial / game plan was, no direction and heads were down with hands on knees in the first 5 mins.
  • 60% slower than the Tiges in all areas, particularly getting to feet both in defence and attack....Online defence and line speed was lower grade level, defence starts between the ears.
  • Sironen and Suli very disppointing, Parker defo copped another head knock.
  • Harper, Davey, Shuster, had a crack and thought Sipley/Josh A / Ben T showed a bit.
But Crikey, Maguire completely out coached Hasler and got his team that winning tinny crack in the sheds, so important in all team sports.

Funny but I have a completely different opinion.

Tigers played virtually their best side , and for most of the game.

We had 7 front liners out, played lots of kids , had no regular spine and as a result got thumped.

I actually think that the coach would have known that would be the result, ie he wasn’t trying to win so much as give a bunch of fringe players a run against a top side with nothing on the table to lose.

Perspective is a funny thing isn’t it ??

Good report on MWSE website , Des is “ unfazed” by the result.

Funny but I seem to remember a trial match against the Storm, at the Sunshine Coast in 2008, forget the score exactly but it was well over 50 to about 8.

Who’d a thought that side would win 40-0 against the same side in that years GF.

I do not take to much from this trial. From what I can see we approached this as a trial. There was no game strategy whatsoever ever nor did there need to be. Some key points for me were:
  • This was our first run for the year. (tigers 2nd)
  • Tigers played a team that resembled a fist grade team we did not.
  • It was a very hot day. Not likely to represent normal season game conditions.
  • Dessie tends to pace his teams into the competition the tigers usally usually pace themselves to win the comp in April
  • Was concerned even allowing for the above over our lack of speed around the ruck both in attack and defence.

At this point i dont see he and dce as a combo
Maybe Schuster & Foran would combine better with DCE at dummy half for the first part of the season? (won't happen, of course)

and Schuster needs to improve his kicking game and be much more selective on when he kicks.
I agree that his kicking game needs to be more selective. This is something that can be learned through experience. Still, his kicks were quite productive - one was a 40-20 & another was a try assist. Overall, he contributed two try assists & and a try. I don't remember him missing any tackles. Not bad for a youngster playing his second game of senior footy!

We all agree it was a crap performance by Manly. However, have we ever been so concerned about trial form in the past? At least, Des will have a guide for his first round selections, which no doubt, will be contrary to what most forum members would prefer :)

We had 7 front liners out, played lots of kids , had no regular spine and as a result got thumped.

I actually think that the coach would have known that would be the result, ie he wasn’t trying to win so much as give a bunch of fringe players a run against a top side with nothing on the table to lose.

Perspective is a funny thing isn’t it ??
But Mark, answer me this:
Why was Saab "rested"? He is new to Manly, and First Grade for that matter. How is he supposed to fit in to a team's style of play without playing a match? Who is to say he is even good enough to be in the round one line-up?
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning any of our first four matches -- V Easts, Rabbits and Panthers -- while Illawarra are our bogey team. Realistically, can you?

Why was Saab "rested"? He is new to Manly, and First Grade for that matter. How is he supposed to fit in to a team's style of play without playing a match? Who is to say he is even good enough to be in the round one line-up?
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning any of our first four matches -- V Easts, Rabbits and Panthers -- while Illawarra are our bogey team. Realistically, can you?

If you look purely at yesterday’s performance and if that’s the side that runs out we’ll be lapped several times BUT let’s not forget the Tigers had a virtual full strength team for most of the day, whereas ours was very bits and pieces.

Let’s have this discussion if we get done 72-4 in game 1.

Sorry I didn’t answer the Volvo question , all I can think is that he wasn’t 100% fit , no other reason to not play him.

Perspective is a funny thing isn’t i
Ok, 7 frontliners missing. Are you including Croker and Saab as frontliners?

Good report on MWSE website , Des is “ unfazed” by the result.

Funny but I seem to remember a trial match against the Storm, at the Sunshine Coast in 2008, forget the score exactly but it was well over 50 to about 8.

Who’d a thought that side would win 40-0 against the same side in that years GF.

I think one of dessies best attributes of a coach is no peaking too early and timing his run . He knows when to taper back and lead a charge. He is the best at it. But that only works if you have the team thats going to make the finals.

While this team has some talent it is no where near as tough mentally as the 2008 team.they were hungry, angry and busting a nut for every metre. That is not evident in this football team other than a few players. 2008 had genuine leaders willing to die on the hill. We need more of them now

Your right of course about early days , our trial history, players trotted but its better people talk about what they see rather than what they hope to see. Its not an eel forum .
Its a footy forum. It will always be this way. It was like this in 2008 . Trial form and reviews. We have to get used to them both. Its a certaintly.
If only sporstbet ran a double
Manly flogged in trial
Silvertails covered in doom

Or any game we are flogged in really

Ps have you ever seen des bag his players in the media . Its not his go. A sports bet treble maybe, dessie plays his cards close to his chest

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4