Tom Wright: Where do you put him?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With all due respect Snake, I don't think anyone has suggested anything like that.

It is exciting seeing the team perform well and it is important to identify talent early and try and keep hold of these guys as a transition plan similar to what we are seeing in Melbourne (from the three youngsters that have stepped up to first grade in a few games).

I agree we can't think every player will excel in first grade; however, locking in a few players that are excelling is prudent.
Not having a go at anyone but I think of a guy like Liam Knight who was tearing up the 20's at Manly the year we made the GF and there were others like Addison Demetriou for example. The pressure applied to these kids based on tearing up opposition players their own age that include a large % of guys that will never play FG and you have to keep everything in perspective.

No coach in the NRL leaves places in their 17 open for NYC players that may or may not come through. They build a top 17 that is good enough now and then IF and only IF those juniors kick on, they earn their spot and others are moved on accordingly.

To say that we shouldn't sign Moylan because Tom Wright scored 3 tries against the Sharks in the under 20's on the weekend is getting ahead of ourselves. The guy grubber kicked a ball for himself in his own in-goal earlier in the year, has a number of errors in his game, is suspect in defence and is playing against boys.

He may or may not come good but he is nothing to stress over at the moment. He is an NYC player who is doing well...there are tons of them every year. If he gets an opportunity down the track and shows some wares, he will be rewarded accordingly.

Not having a go at anyone but I think of a guy like Liam Knight who was tearing up the 20's at Manly the year we made the GF and there were others like Addison Demetriou for example. The pressure applied to these kids based on tearing up opposition players their own age that include a large % of guys that will never play FG and you have to keep everything in perspective.

No coach in the NRL leaves places in their 17 open for NYC players that may or may not come through. They build a top 17 that is good enough now and then IF and only IF those juniors kick on, they earn their spot and others are moved on accordingly.

To say that we shouldn't sign Moylan because Tom Wright scored 3 tries against the Sharks in the under 20's on the weekend is getting ahead of ourselves. The guy grubber kicked a ball for himself in his own in-goal earlier in the year, has a number of errors in his game, is suspect in defence and is playing against boys.

He may or may not come good but he is nothing to stress over at the moment. He is an NYC player who is doing well...there are tons of them every year. If he gets an opportunity down the track and shows some wares, he will be rewarded accordingly.
I don't disagree with any of that. I certainly wouldn't be putting Wright ahead of Moylan.

I see some good prospects in the backline that will provide us depth that we have been misssing. If we get a couple of injuries I can see Funa being able to step up for a game or two and possibly Anderson as well.

There have been many players who have shot straight from U20s to first grade and been a success. Foran, DCE, TT, Jake T, Cleary, even Kelly. Straight from U20s to firsts. And its easier for a back to make the transition quickly than a forward. I think they need to be encouraged. So many have been critical of Kelly, yet he started very well, fell in a hole, was dropped briefly and came back as man of the match. Young players will have flaws. Even TT is having to work through his. But playing first grade raises their performances to a new level. Not having the opportunity causes them to continue to play at the standard of the grade they are in. And you can only know if they are up to it if they are given the chance

There have been many players who have shot straight from U20s to first grade and been a success. Foran, DCE, TT, Jake T, Cleary, even Kelly. Straight from U20s to firsts. And its easier for a back to make the transition quickly than a forward. I think they need to be encouraged. So many have been critical of Kelly, yet he started very well, fell in a hole, was dropped briefly and came back as man of the match. Young players will have flaws. Even TT is having to work through his. But playing first grade raises their performances to a new level. Not having the opportunity causes them to continue to play at the standard of the grade they are in. And you can only know if they are up to it if they are given the chance

I'm not completely disagreeing with you however DCE and Jake did not jump directly from U20 to 1sts. They spent a season in reggies which benefited them.

Our 2015 U20 team made the GF off the back of Tom, Knight, Demetriou [who utilized his size & aggressive attitude at the time] and an overall team contribution. Who else besides Tom from that team looks like kicking on? Knight, maybe. The 2017 is even more so a good 'team' rather than having real true stars. I agree with trying to nurture the best of them [in lower grades] to see if they kick on physically and mentally but the reality is that only a couple will make it longer term. Parker is a good start. If we can get two more out of it we'll be doing ok. The coaching staff have to do what they are paid to do - make a few choices based on what they see and their instincts & experience.

It would be something else if Wright kicks on and gets a crack at centre. If he does we will be lethal.
Spot on Kevin . This guys pace and natural skill and ability stand out like dogs balls .
Lets hope he can also stand out amongst the big boys in the NRL.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you however DCE and Jake did not jump directly from U20 to 1sts. They spent a season in reggies which benefited them.

Our 2015 U20 team made the GF off the back of Tom, Knight, Demetriou [who utilized his size & aggressive attitude at the time] and an overall team contribution. Who else besides Tom from that team looks like kicking on? Knight, maybe. The 2017 is even more so a good 'team' rather than having real true stars. I agree with trying to nurture the best of them [in lower grades] to see if they kick on physically and mentally but the reality is that only a couple will make it longer term. Parker is a good start. If we can get two more out of it we'll be doing ok. The coaching staff have to do what they are paid to do - make a few choices based on what they see and their instincts & experience.

My mistake. I forgot about DCE and Foran in the Queensland Cup side. But who will succeed? I dont think Knight is a lost cause. Forwards seem to take more time to develop. If he can get his head straight he's a chance to be back. Tom Wright's only flaw is that he sometimes goes missing in matches. But for sheer skill, he's a definite first grade candidate. I think Jade Anderson and Funa are good chances. Paseka maybe. Bainbridge I'm still uncertain but in another year or so he may be the goods

Tom Wright will play first grade or be snapped up by super rugby. Parker and Kelly are good enough to cover centre next year but who knows with injuries what the team will look like.

The player I really like other than Anderson who looks out of the Addo-Carr mold is Kade Cust. Has really good football instincts and a bit of mongrel about him.

My mistake. I forgot about DCE and Foran in the Queensland Cup side. But who will succeed? I dont think Knight is a lost cause. Forwards seem to take more time to develop. If he can get his head straight he's a chance to be back. Tom Wright's only flaw is that he sometimes goes missing in matches. But for sheer skill, he's a definite first grade candidate. I think Jade Anderson and Funa are good chances. Paseka maybe. Bainbridge I'm still uncertain but in another year or so he may be the goods
Well said Bearfax , Who will succeed ? That's the 64 dollar question.
Some young players have the speed and skill but don't go all the way because they don't have the attitude others have the attitude but don't have the right attributes . Some are stars at lower grades but fail to deliver when they step up to another level .
What makes a fine NRL player is consistency on the field in making the tackles and breaking the line and creating line breaks .
I do believe from what I have seen that if your good enough your old enough . No one can teach a player how to be a speedster , have natural flair or to be powerful and built like a sht house as you either have it or don't .
All players train the same on the field and in the gym but not all players are equal in natural ability
Tom Wright is one of those players that nature knows best .

Well said Bearfax , Who will succeed ? That's the 64 dollar question.
Some young players have the speed and skill but don't go all the way because they don't have the attitude others have the attitude but don't have the right attributes . Some are stars at lower grades but fail to deliver when they step up to another level .
What makes a fine NRL player is consistency on the field in making the tackles and breaking the line and creating line breaks .
I do believe from what I have seen that if your good enough your old enough . No one can teach a player how to be a speedster , have natural flair or to be powerful and built like a sht house as you either have it or don't .
All players train the same on the field and in the gym but not all players are equal in natural ability
Tom Wright is one of those players that nature knows best .
Agreed but nature needs shaping too and hopefully we have the right people around our "young-in's" to coach them into and through their NRL careers.

Uncertain on Bainbridge?? he is 19 and looked very comfortable earlier this year. The only uncertainty is his injuries but hopefully they are like TT had at the same age and he has an injury free run next year. If so he will play plenty of first grade.

Uncertain on Bainbridge?? he is 19 and looked very comfortable earlier this year. The only uncertainty is his injuries but hopefully they are like TT had at the same age and he has an injury free run next year. If so he will play plenty of first grade.

Lots of backrow depth (and all pretty young) ahead, but he is certainly a talent. Winterstein, Sironen, Trbojevic, Lane, Brown, Hopoate...

The issues/concerns I have include:
1. Is Moylan worth the money? Couldn't we use it more wisely? After all, who knows where his head and his heart are?
2. I don't want the club to risk losing its stars from the Under 20s. This could happen if the youngsters feel the club prefers recruiting high priced imports and blocks a natural progression to the top. Also, the money paid to Moylan could be used to upgrade contracts of our most promising youngsters.
3. Don't we want to be a club that encourages local talent? I know I'm extremely proud that we have more locals in our first grade than many other larger and more wealthy clubs. Do we just want to be like Easts and buy imports?
On the subject of Liam Knight, who has heaps of talent but an immaturity/upbringing that has seen him waste the past two seasons. If he gets his head straight he'll play a lot of first grade. Unfortunately, at this stage, it will be for the Faders.

The issues/concerns I have include:
1. Is Moylan worth the money? Couldn't we use it more wisely? After all, who knows where his head and his heart are?
2. I don't want the club to risk losing its stars from the Under 20s. This could happen if the youngsters feel the club prefers recruiting high priced imports and blocks a natural progression to the top. Also, the money paid to Moylan could be used to upgrade contracts of our most promising youngsters.
3. Don't we want to be a club that encourages local talent? I know I'm extremely proud that we have more locals in our first grade than many other larger and more wealthy clubs. Do we just want to be like Easts and buy imports?
On the subject of Liam Knight, who has heaps of talent but an immaturity/upbringing that has seen him waste the past two seasons. If he gets his head straight he'll play a lot of first grade. Unfortunately, at this stage, it will be for the Faders.

1. Players like Moylan are freaks
2. Players like Moylan don't become available very often
3. When Opportunity knows you open the fcking door and let Moylan in to your club

I can't recall Foran playing in the QLD Cup but I do recall both DCE and Hodkinson definitely having a year playing for the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles prior to their entry into the Manly NRL side.

I can't recall Foran playing in the QLD Cup but I do recall both DCE and Hodkinson definitely having a year playing for the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles prior to their entry into the Manly NRL side.

Foran played his junior football for the Ellerslie Eagles in the Auckland Rugby League and several Norths Juniors district clubs; the Asquith Magpies and the North Sydney Brothers. Foran is the younger brother of Liam Foran. In 2007, Foran represented the Australia Schoolboy rugby league team.[6] Foran played in the North Sydney Bears Harold Matthews Cup and SG Ball teams before being signed by the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.[7] Foran played in the Sea Eagles NYC team in 2008 and 2009.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6