Tom Wright: Where do you put him?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That effort last night was the best and most consistent performance that i have seen from Tom Wright at this level . Front on defence has really improved over time and while he has always had exceptional footwork and explosive speed , he seems to be reading a game much better now also . I saw him play one game as a centre earlier this season and he did not seem that effectual but no doubt would be still capable of adapting and maybe doing well there and even with Parker , Kelly and Funa also available now . Seems to thrive with some room to move . and maybe 5 / 8 , wing or full back [ if required ] would seem to be his most suited positions at present . Fortunately signed by Bozo Fulton for three years and after two years of adapting and learning , next year at a more demanding level will hopefully enable him to really develop into a top liner [ and longer term top liner for Manly ] , However ideally in the next couple of weeks he will be able to play at his best and to help his 20 "s team to a more than attainable premiership win .

Manly must get Wright, Funa and Anderson playing at least a good percentage of matches in first grade next year. Its essential for these three to start to be upgraded with contracts and to have their contracts extended. We only have Wright for another year on contract, and I suspect Anderson may only have a year or less also. Funa is with us to 2019. All three are freaks each making between about 100-120 metres per game, scoring tries at between .7 to 1 per match, regular line breakers (Anderson is either the top or one of the top line breakers in U20s with one per match). Other clubs especially Sydney City and the Dogs and Eels will be circling. Manly cant allow another Gutherson blunder. With a full salary cap now available, Manly need to act quickly.

You're all entitled to your opinions but are getting way ahead of yourself in my opinion.

These guys are all a way off first grade yet. There is a massive step up from 20's and even the best 20's players sometimes go on to never make it in FG. A couple of TV games and some rabbits being pulled out of hats and all of the sudden we have a dilemma because the next Australian team is in waiting.

One thing is obvious for me this season - the Wright / Kelly side of the field needs more pace. Look at any centre / wing partnerships that thrive, it's mainly based on skill, but importantly speed. You're ok to have a skill player, if you then have an absolute speedster next to them (Rapana / Leilua & Walker / Uate come to mind).

There were a few times this season I saw opposition forwards (front and backrowers) run down Wright (especially), and occassionally Kelly. Taufua is actually deceptively quick, so I hope it's certainly him - and he's only 25. Kelly was scoring regularly with Taufua as his winger.

Therefore, you could put Tom Wright on the wing (to begin), in place of Wright, and especially if we don't re-sign Taufua, which I hope we do. I feel bad in saying this, but you can't go into next years campaign with Matthew Wright as our first choice number 2.

You're all entitled to your opinions but are getting way ahead of yourself in my opinion.

These guys are all a way off first grade yet. There is a massive step up from 20's and even the best 20's players sometimes go on to never make it in FG. A couple of TV games and some rabbits being pulled out of hats and all of the sudden we have a dilemma because the next Australian team is in waiting.
Fair enough snake, you have to agree it bit like watching tommy, jake, dce or foz has first grade written all over them.
Yes it what it is 20s land of crap defence and ad lib structure. I myself not saying he a first grade 6 but his footwork speed suggests he may be better option than Kelly.
For structured 6 play I send not a lot from him only a left foot kick for repeat set.
Again I can't see us progressing much further unless we sort a better centre than Kelly kid tries but not sure he has it.

One thing is obvious for me this season - the Wright / Kelly side of the field needs more pace. Look at any centre / wing partnerships that thrive, it's mainly based on skill, but importantly speed. You're ok to have a skill player, if you then have an absolute speedster next to them (Rapana / Leilua & Walker / Uate come to mind).

There were a few times this season I saw opposition forwards (front and backrowers) run down Wright (especially), and occassionally Kelly. Taufua is actually deceptively quick, so I hope it's certainly him - and he's only 25. Kelly was scoring regularly with Taufua as his winger.

Therefore, you could put Tom Wright on the wing (to begin), in place of Wright, and especially if we don't re-sign Taufua, which I hope we do. I feel bad in saying this, but you can't go into next years campaign with Matthew Wright as our first choice number 2.
I think having Jorge back really strengthens that side...I think Kelly showed against Penrith that he has enough speed to make it in FG. He is not explosive but Waqa Blake had a bit of trouble with him and the obvious comparison to Matai who had limited speed but great footwork has already be stated.

I'm a big fan of speed and think it's one of the best attributes a player can possess but I think we do OK in this department. Tom T, Walker, Uate, and DCE (who is one of the quicker halves) are quick. We should have Moylan onboard next year as well and he can run.

Interesting times.

I'm not suggesting that these guys are going to be world beaters. But it seems they have the basic elements that suggest they are destined for first grade. If they fail, then nothing is lost. But if they succeed and we have ensured they stick with the club, Manly's future sides in the next few years are enhanced. You cant have outstanding kids hanging around in the lower grades if it looks that they have the goods. Get them on upgraded 2-3 year contracts and give them a good taste of first grade as encouragement. These kids want to play first grade. If Manly doesnt offer it and they think they are ready, they will look elsewhere.

After watching the game yesterday I think Tom Wright has "centre" written all over him. Very impressive.
Our coach agrees with you feathered friend and so do I .
Early days but with the skill and speed that he possesses the only player stoping him from making the centre spot his own in the near future is him self .

The major issue many on here seem to be missing is that if we dont upgrade and play our brightest young guys in FG then we loose them.

No way can we hide possible future stars in the reggies for a year while they gain 'experience' without other sides light on talent coming in to offer big money.

JWH a great case in point. he was let go and went on to become the best front rower in the game a few years back.

Teams like the Rooters and doesntmatter love stealing juniors and are only too happy to take ours.

Wright needs some runs in the top grade next year and then a starting position in 19 at the very least...

Agree - whether this hype is justified or not ( the guy is a special talent in attack but far from the finished article ) we now have a choice to make. Back him and give him a clear pathway into first grade now OR watch him get picked off by the vultures.

It's a tough call either way - I know he has defensive issues & can drift in/out of games BUT talents like him don't come along every day. And if you subbed into first grade somewhere and shuffled out "Uncle" Matt how much worse could it be ???

There are some valid points to both sets of arguments. Ease into firsts by playing a year in reserves would be the sensible approach. However bulk up a bit in the off-season and train hard with the firsts may put some fire in the belly of the youngster. If he is truly as talented as he has displayed and has a strong mental resolve then there is no reason why he can't make that transition. It's a good pickle to be in to have so much talent coming up the ranks.
Personally I don't think he needs bulking up. His speed is a real asset and he has plenty of size about him now, any more could really impact his explosiveness.

I do agree that a year in reserve grade can only help.

I believe we now know 2 things for certain

1) Why the club has been keen to develop what is an obvious talent, and
2) The problem they have had deciding where to play him all year ...

After watching RL for 50 years I have no idea what position in FG he would be a shoon-in for ... I am in the camp that says let him develop his football and all will become clear.
I can see him at centre. Jamie Lyon had such skill and natural ability and he was able to utilise that in the centres. Whilst Tom is no Jamie Lyon yet, he has similar traits - speed, game awareness, kicking and passing skills.

Jamie gave us a threat on the edges that no other team had, and it made us very hard to defend against. I'd love to see that same dynamic in our backline again. He has a very long way to go before he could be spoken of in Jamie's class; however, I see potential that reminds me very much of Killer.

Yes. And he is certainly solid enough. At 90kg and around 6ft he is the perfect build for a 5/8 imo.

With all due respect Snake, I don't think anyone has suggested anything like that.

It is exciting seeing the team perform well and it is important to identify talent early and try and keep hold of these guys as a transition plan similar to what we are seeing in Melbourne (from the three youngsters that have stepped up to first grade in a few games).

I agree we can't think every player will excel in first grade; however, locking in a few players that are excelling is prudent.

Next year playing in the Reggies will be the test for all those young guns.

Some will shine , some won't ,you see so many players who look the goods in the 20's and then " bingo" they are gone!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8