Tom Wright: Where do you put him?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gee we are getting ahead of ourselves I think. No way is he ready for first grade in my opinion. Sure his attack is good but his defence needs work - lets just say he's never going to develop any shoulder problems. He'd get eaten alive at centre in first grade. Let's see how he goes against men for Blacktown before we start crowning him the next Tommy Turbo. We'd be crazy to knock back Moylan in the hope this kid delivers.

I see potential for sure but he doesn't strike me as an NRL ready player just yet. There were 2 or 3 others in that side that looked pretty handy as a more all round package.

Gee we are getting ahead of ourselves I think. No way is he ready for first grade in my opinion. Sure his attack is good but his defence needs work - lets just say he's never going to develop any shoulder problems. He'd get eaten alive at centre in first grade. Let's see how he goes against men for Blacktown before we start crowning him the next Tommy Turbo. We'd be crazy to knock back Moylan in the hope this kid delivers.

I see potential for sure but he doesn't strike me as an NRL ready player just yet. There were 2 or 3 others in that side that looked pretty handy as a more all round package.
Agree it was the same with Brian Kelly, he killed it in the under 20s state side but throw him in with the men and he was found wanting on numerous occasions. Time and Experience.

Where do we put him ? Reserve grade.

He is running around kids at the moment, give him a chance to get used to playing against men before throwing him into the Lyons den. There are examples that suggest otherwise, like Cleary, Tom, Foran etc, but they also had a very solid junior grounding in rugby league as well. I believe we got a far better DCE in 2011 because he spent a year playing reserves in 2010

Didn't see all of the 20s but saw the try highlights, Wrights footwork reminded me of Shaun Johnson

Don't really get the argument that they are running around kids. History suggests that most handle the step up. There's the ones you mention but more recently Parker has looked good, Bainbridge looked at home and as the commentators mentioned Ramien made the step up in Rd 26 and looked comfortable and despite the first try on Funa Ramien wasn't that dominant. Many of the "kids" these days are as big as NRL players 6"2'/3' and 110kg, just look at Paseka for what these "kids" are tackling. If they are going well in NYC, I say throw them in and see how they go.

Don't really get the argument that they are running around kids. History suggests that most handle the step up. There's the ones you mention but more recently Parker has looked good, Bainbridge looked at home and as the commentators mentioned Ramien made the step up in Rd 26 and looked comfortable and despite the first try on Funa Ramien wasn't that dominant. Many of the "kids" these days are as big as NRL players 6"2'/3' and 110kg, just look at Paseka for what these "kids" are tackling. If they are going well in NYC, I say throw them in and see how they go.

Couple of decent points there, but I'll stick with unless they are a freakish talent, reserve grade to get a grounding against hardened players who have seen it all before is the way to go. Size isn't everything in regards to football knowledge, which is what the 20s lacks. Not many power players from the 20s make it straight away in 1st grade, because the guys they are playing against have seen it all before and aren't intimidated one bit. What looked amazing tonight from Wright would probably look a fair bit different once a Taumalolo, Gallen, JWH type of guy caught up with him in the centre of the field

That Demetriuo guy a few years back prefect example, steamrolled players out side for fun in the 20s, not heard of since moving up overage grades

Wright is an attacking Dynamo...most question his defence but I have not seen him miss the big boppers or the fleet footed 1 on 1.....
The Only question one can ask - what is he prepared to do ....yes - a claim from the movie "Untouchables" and personally have a challenge to test the ability as he grows into his body....a backrower?
May sound crazy - probably is - but feel he has agility and is tougher than most think....

Tommy Wright was the difference and the inspiration from this huge win I saw tonight. He is such a threat because he holds the ball in two hands and commits the defense and then the nifty footwork he has set us chances, he scored 3 amazing tries tonight and the one that pretty much clinched the match reminded me of a young Brett Kenny, he sliced through when there was nothing on. I think another year in the kids and he will be perfect to come into first grade. He has raw talent and needs to develop his game. He is growing stronger too and I can see him playing anywhere in the backline moving forward. We have a gun in this lad!!!!

I think we need to dail back the comparisons to some of the greatest to ever lace a boot, give young Wright a year in reserves and see what happens.

The defence in the 20's is nothing short of diabolical at times, especially as they tire.
And even when they aren't tired.

Couple of decent points there, but I'll stick with unless they are a freakish talent, reserve grade to get a grounding against hardened players who have seen it all before is the way to go. Size isn't everything in regards to football knowledge, which is what the 20s lacks. Not many power players from the 20s make it straight away in 1st grade, because the guys they are playing against have seen it all before and aren't intimidated one bit. What looked amazing tonight from Wright would probably look a fair bit different once a Taumalolo, Gallen, JWH type of guy caught up with him in the centre of the field

That Demetriuo guy a few years back prefect example, steamrolled players out side for fun in the 20s, not heard of since moving up overage grades

I agree he needs to play reserves before getting near first grade. However a bloke like Demetriou relied solely on his size. The blokes who look great in the 20's but don't go on are either usually really big or really small, so the step up is too great.

Centre would be a very good position for him, won't be signing Will Hoppa then although Tom Wright sure has potential. Maybe a little more time in reserve grade

Tom Wright is far too bipolar (football-wise). He can look like an absolute legend at times but can also be a bit of a passenger. He needs to learn game management and consistency before he can get near first grade. Great potential, but a lot of work to do

I've seen Moylan at times when that description would fit him too

I've seen Moylan at times when that description would fit him too
Yeah I definitely agree. Although I think Moylan has valuable leadership qualities and has proven himself on many occasions

There are some valid points to both sets of arguments. Ease into firsts by playing a year in reserves would be the sensible approach. However bulk up a bit in the off-season and train hard with the firsts may put some fire in the belly of the youngster. If he is truly as talented as he has displayed and has a strong mental resolve then there is no reason why he can't make that transition. It's a good pickle to be in to have so much talent coming up the ranks.

I believe we now know 2 things for certain

1) Why the club has been keen to develop what is an obvious talent, and
2) The problem they have had deciding where to play him all year ...

After watching RL for 50 years I have no idea what position in FG he would be a shoon-in for ... I am in the camp that says let him develop his football and all will become clear.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8