Tom Wright: Where do you put him?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Comparing Cleary when playing Holden Cup vs Tom is an interesting read. Cleary only played 10 games in 2015 and Tom played 25 this year.

Cleary 2015 - 10 games (averages)
Tries - 0.4
Average runs - 5.8
Average metres - 52.7
Line breaks - 0.2
Try Assists - 0.5
Offloads - 0.3
Tackles - 20
Missed tackles - 2.5
Errors - 0.8

Tom 2017 - 25 games (averages)
Tries - 0.7
Average runs - 8.8
Average metres - 98
Line breaks - 1
Try Assists - 0.4
Offloads - 0.6
Tackles - 11.6
Missed tackles - 2.2
Errors - 1.4

If we can limit his errors and improve his tackling, could he be the next "big thing"?

Comparing Cleary when playing Holden Cup vs Tom is an interesting read. Cleary only played 10 games in 2015 and Tom played 25 this year.

Tries - 0.4
Average runs - 5.8
Average metres - 52.7
Line breaks - 0.2
Try Assists - 0.5
Offloads - 0.3
Tackles - 20
Missed tackles - 2.5
Errors - 0.8

Tries - 0.7
Average runs - 8.8
Average metres - 98
Line breaks - 1
Try Assists - 0.4
Offloads - 0.6
Tackles - 11.6
Missed tackles - 2.2
Errors - 1.4

If we can limit his errors and improve his tackling, could he be the next "big thing"?

Not to discount the facts of these stats....but really tough to judge these 2 players as style varies a big way.

Truth is - Cleary is on a mission to guide his team around the field, with the occasional show and go and gets far more touches than Tom, who is more an Impact player, more looking for a gap to exploit and bust them himself....and this is both their strengths, so should not be any other way.
Be the next Big Thang you say - well if he can demolish Illawarra who will have a gameplan this Sat to watch "Tom Wright"and worry about Manly after that - he is well on the way.....Yes its a defensive disaster at this level, but this kid has the goods to threaten at the Top level Today....especially if he is running off good passes through holes rather than have to do it all himself.

Very exciting young player and hopefully he bursts through

That said

Aaron Groom
Mailangi Styles
Albert Hopoate (the first one)
Charlie Taylor
Lama Tasi
Morgan Stromquist
Addinson Demetriou
Nicho Hynes
Will Pearsell
Liam Knight

Tom hasnt made the under 20s team of the year any season and a lot of those guys go on to nothing.....not saying he won't make it but lets temper our excitement a little

apart from scoring tries himself, he creates some great opportunities for his outside men

That said

Aaron Groom
Mailangi Styles
Charlie Taylor
Lama Tasi
Morgan Stromquist
Addinson Demetriou
Nicho Hynes
Will Pearsell
Liam Knight

Tom hasnt made the under 20s team of the year any season and a lot of those guys go on to nothing.....not saying he won't make it but lets temper our excitement a little

True , but I think he's a little more gifted than many you mention above!

Tries - 0.4
Average runs - 5.8
Average metres - 52.7
Line breaks - 0.2
Try Assists - 0.5
Offloads - 0.3
Tackles - 20
Missed tackles - 2.5
Errors - 0.8

Tries - 0.7
Average runs - 8.8
Average metres - 98
Line breaks - 1
Try Assists - 0.4
Offloads - 0.6
Tackles - 11.6
Missed tackles - 2.2
Errors - 1.4

I don't think the stats are that bad for his missed tackles. I had a quick look at this year's junior kangaroo halves, Melbourne Brodie Croft and Dragons Jai Field and both averaged over 3 missed tackles a game in NYC in 2016 which was thier last main season in that grade. The errors do need working on.

Last edited:
No disputing Wrights attacking potential. That little stutter step and acceleration is top shelf. I want to see more game involvement from him when not in possession of the ball - admittedly I haven't watched every NYC game this year, but what I have seen is that he does tend to drift off in games - not big on the 1% plays that show real commitment. I also expected his kicking game might be a little better given his pedigree as a rah rah stand off. Will watch with interest on the weekend to see how he goes again.

Comparing his stats to Cleary's doesn't prove a lot as Wright played a bit of fullback which pumps up your running stats and provides better try opportunities. One thing that Cleary has over Wright is that he has proven his NRL pedigree and has shown he can make the step up in grade, Tom still an unknown on that front.

That said

Aaron Groom
Mailangi Styles
Charlie Taylor
Lama Tasi
Morgan Stromquist
Addinson Demetriou
Nicho Hynes
Will Pearsell
Liam Knight

Where is Albert Hopoate ? Knight has gone to Canberra and could be running around in first grade next season. Taylor is playing rugby for Aust 7s and travelling the world contention for Commonwealth and Olympics. Some of the others could still make their debut at some stage

After todays match - NSW cupo_O

Perhaps he is waiting for next week.
Ive seen him 6-7 times this year and each game he has been s**t.
didnt watch last week, but today was no different, does he ever kick the ball?

Cust had a good game, #15 Jesse Martin looks good

Where is Albert Hopoate ? Knight has gone to Canberra and could be running around in first grade next season. Taylor is playing rugby for Aust 7s and travelling the world contention for Commonwealth and Olympics. Some of the others could still make their debut at some stage
Albert, and I'm assuming you mean the young one is 16 and you can't play 20s until you are 17. Knight could definitely play but obviously has his demons and Taylor was a decent league player but not good enough to make grade at either manly or rorters.

Albert, and I'm assuming you mean the young one is 16 and you can't play 20s until you are 17. Knight could definitely play but obviously has his demons and Taylor was a decent league player but not good enough to make grade at either manly or rorters.

Wasn't there a Hopoate in the 20s this season ? Hope Knight gets a good start next season and great to see Taylor doing so well in his rugby

Don't be surprised if Tom Wright puts on a clinic display next week in the grand final. Cade Cust was terrific today vs Dragons , so everyone was was critical of Wright , but he didn't do a whole lot wrong and found touch when Manly needed to control the games tempo , and ran the ball direct when completions were a must when it got tight in the 2nd half. I'll back him in ....

That said

Aaron Groom
Mailangi Styles
Charlie Taylor
Lama Tasi
Morgan Stromquist
Addinson Demetriou
Nicho Hynes
Will Pearsell
Liam Knight

LOL - ain't that the truth. I remember reading posts on here proclaiming Demetriou a certain Origin and Kangaroo star. Can't even crack NSW Cup these days.

You ain't made it till you've made it

The forecasts for Demetriou did seem a little optimistic considering he did have some defensive flaws and apparently an attitude problem . Tom Wright does seem to have Phil Blake type attributes at least in attack , has the suitable build and no doubt necessary commitment. So on this basis , should be able to compete and do well at a higher level and in whatever position may become available . No doubt again he will be given every opportunity by the Sea Eagles to realize his undoubted potential . . Incidentally Nicho Hynes was the regular 5 / 8 for one of the Cowboys feeder Queensland cup sides , the Mackay Cutters and seems to have had a fairly solid season .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8