Tom turbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ok so now that Turbo is basically gone for most of the rest of the season it's time to blood a proper replacement fullback. I'd like to see either Funa or Albert Hoppa groomed. Hoppa has all the skills , size and speed to do it. It's just his injury issues that's held him back. We can't continue to run with the makeshift Elliot after this year. We need 2 first grade fullbacks in the squad now that Turbo is an injury liability.

So you want to blood a fullback in 1st Grade out of either Funa who's played two games on the wing ( hasn't played too muck fullback as far as I know ) or Hoppa who has in your own words had injuries that have held him back?
Des might be grooming them or someone else but he won't do it 1st Grade if they haven't shown something in ressies, players like Elliott are gold for Des - just do your job and don't think you're better than you are.
His career has been hampered by injury also but keeps doing the job when needed whether it's fullback, wing or centre. He knows he's next cab off the rank in the backline and is experienced enough to call the shots defensively from fullback and know his place in the pecking order.

NB: I hope I haven't put the mock on him for this week

So where's Hopoate? Not even listed in reserves for firsts. Where's Schuster? Is Des being too conservative?
He can only name 21, no point naming guys who are not going to be any chance of playing.

lets count our blessing it is not a season ending injury
lets look at the glass half full picture
Cheers feathered friends
47-476558_red-wine-glass-cheers-hd-png-download (1).jpg

Every season. When are we going to ask serious questions about our club's philosophies and approach to injury? A healthy young man does not get THREE hamstring tears as a matter of bad luck...

Every season. When are we going to ask serious questions about our club's philosophies and approach to injury? A healthy young man does not get THREE hamstring tears as a matter of bad luck...
No, it's not bad luck. He probably gets them from having unusual physical anomalies that our biomechanics team hasn't got a bead on yet.
Tall, lanky, maybe grew real fast through a short period.
I grew 6 inches in 1 year when I was 16 and it farked me footy-wise.
I agree our team needs to think outside the box with Tom...and i'm sure they are.

So where's Hopoate? Not even listed in reserves for firsts. Where's Schuster? Is Des being too conservative?
I don't think so. He is picking players who've performed well in the NRL already or have been close to selection. I think if another back or utility is injured, then it is likely Hoppa or Schuster will be promoted to the 21 man squad.

Its a tough one with Hoppa and Schuster. They are such talents if fit and healthy that other sides will come calling if they get a start and play well.

I get the feeling our cap is tight for the next few years and hate to say it but if the 2 listed above do kill it in FG then our chances of keeping them before some of our current mainstays move on may be slim.

You could imagine a cashed up side may offer someone like Schuster double what we are currently paying him and as we know if the money talks the talent walks.

Its a tough one with Hoppa and Schuster. They are such talents if fit and healthy that other sides will come calling if they get a start and play well.

I get the feeling our cap is tight for the next few years and hate to say it but if the 2 listed above do kill it in FG then our chances of keeping them before some of our current mainstays move on may be slim.

You could imagine a cashed up side may offer someone like Schuster double what we are currently paying him and as we know if the money talks the talent walks.

I accept that argument. But lets see this from those two players perspective. They both know they can get big money elsewhere. They are two of the most outstanding junior talents in the competition. Schuster in fact was declared best player in each junior division he played, I understand, for a couple of years, not just at Manly but in the comps he played. They are both outstanding attacking talents. Holding them back may keep them unseen from other clubs, but I very much doubt it. Both have had significant mainstream newspaper articles lauding their achievements and abilities. Keep them too much under wraps, and they will be strongly tempted to fly the coup so to speak.

Des is obviously a great coach, and it is probably arrogant of me to question anything he does in his role. But let me say as I see it, he seems to concentrate on getting his forwards right and that defence up to scratch, as the priority. I noticed this at the Bulldogs. Their defence was top ranking, but they lacked attacking skill. This Manly side again has an outstanding forward pack and he has done marvels with them. I'm troubled though by the backs and have been for several years. They are generally solid, good defenders, tough, but other than Turbo and DCE they lack attacking variety and the ability to make something happen. They need the sort of players that set them alight. Walker in the centre was the exception but at 5/8 I feel he has been pigeon holed into a position through lack of alternatives, that has diminished his effectiveness. Croker is solid, good defender, tough and works hard, but he doesn't set the backline alight. Suli and Funa may develop into special attacking players, one for power, one for speed, but not quite yet.

The thing is with Hopoate and Schuster, and I know they are still young and untested, they are proven in the junior ranks to make things happen. They create opportunities like Turbo and DCE. If you check Manly's attacking performances in recent years, only once have they been in the top half dozen teams in the last 6 years. This year we are 12th so far in attacking performances, and now we are going through perhaps 9 matches without the player who makes most attacking strikes in the side. If Manly is to get to the next level they cant rely just on excellent defence alone. To reach that next level they will need that extra factor. I believe these two players offer that. That's why I would have thought they would have come into the reckoning by now. This match against the Sharks worries me for that reason. Sea Eagles sans Turbo has in the past been a lesser performer.

I accept that argument. But lets see this from those two players perspective. They both know they can get big money elsewhere. They are two of the most outstanding junior talents in the competition. Schuster in fact was declared best player in each junior division he played, I understand, for a couple of years, not just at Manly but in the comps he played. They are both outstanding attacking talents. Holding them back may keep them unseen from other clubs, but I very much doubt it. Both have had significant mainstream newspaper articles lauding their achievements and abilities. Keep them too much under wraps, and they will be strongly tempted to fly the coup so to speak.

Des is obviously a great coach, and it is probably arrogant of me to question anything he does in his role. But let me say as I see it, he seems to concentrate on getting his forwards right and that defence up to scratch, as the priority. I noticed this at the Bulldogs. Their defence was top ranking, but they lacked attacking skill. This Manly side again has an outstanding forward pack and he has done marvels with them. I'm troubled though by the backs and have been for several years. They are generally solid, good defenders, tough, but other than Turbo and DCE they lack attacking variety and the ability to make something happen. They need the sort of players that set them alight. Walker in the centre was the exception but at 5/8 I feel he has been pigeon holed into a position through lack of alternatives, that has diminished his effectiveness. Croker is solid, good defender, tough and works hard, but he doesn't set the backline alight. Suli and Funa may develop into special attacking players, one for power, one for speed, but not quite yet.

The thing is with Hopoate and Schuster, and I know they are still young and untested, they are proven in the junior ranks to make things happen. They create opportunities like Turbo and DCE. If you check Manly's attacking performances in recent years, only once have they been in the top half dozen teams in the last 6 years. This year we are 12th so far in attacking performances, and now we are going through perhaps 9 matches without the player who makes most attacking strikes in the side. If Manly is to get to the next level they cant rely just on excellent defence alone. To reach that next level they will need that extra factor. I believe these two players offer that. That's why I would have thought they would have come into the reckoning by now. This match against the Sharks worries me for that reason. Sea Eagles sans Turbo has in the past been a lesser performer.
Im all for getting at least Schuster into the starting 17 now or very soon. Hoppa not so sure given his injury run.

My theory was just a guess as to why they don't get at least a look in. Thing is if Croker goes down in the next few weeks who then? Cust i guess but surely Josh must be close. we need some more spark with Tommy out.

We have played most of the heavy weights already so now would be a good time to blood Schuster...

Im concerned we may end up with another Tom Wright story line. I was filthy at TBAZ for his blatant lack of foresight with that kid. Sure he was rough around the edges but he had talent that just needed guiding in the right direction.

TBAZ dropped him into the no.6 for what 1 game? then dropped him? He should have put hi on the wing and given him a run of games to see what he could become instead of screwing it all up.

But then again the record of Tbaz says it all really. #no****ingideaatall

Im concerned we may end up with another Tom Wright story line. I was filthy at TBAZ for his blatant lack of foresight with that kid. Sure he was rough around the edges but he had talent that just needed guiding in the right direction.

TBAZ dropped him into the no.6 for what 1 game? then dropped him? He should have put hi on the wing and given him a run of games to see what he could become instead of screwing it all up.

But then again the record of Tbaz says it all really. #no****ingideaatall

He did in fact get a chance in five games (a couple off the bench for only short stints) and struggled a little, but as you said, he needed time and faith. Had one outstanding game that showed his promise. He's now rising to be one of the top inside centres in Australian and World Rugby Union. You're right Eagle. You must give these kids a sense that they are wanted, encouraged and given opportunities. No damage is done testing them out. In fact it enhances them as it shows them where they must develop further. They cant do that sitting on the bench or paying lower grades.

Yes he is conservative about that but I've no doubt both those guys have been told to expect their NRL debut this year.
In the past Des has held back the debut of gun talents such as making Foran wait till round 15 in 2009 and Will Hoppa till round 13 in 2010. Frustrating no doubt, but by the time they get picked they are not merely able to survive in first grade, they excel. So I can't knock Des's strategy.

Hoppa was only given the green light to resume serious training a few weeks ago wasn "t he ? Going to need a couple of games at some non N R L level or extensive full body contact training under his belt to come into any sort of contention one would think . Can only think that Schuster must have come into serious consideration to be on the bench instead of Cust now. , Can only assume the fact that Cust has already had some N R L experience gave him the nod . but Schuster can not be too far off surely from getting his opportunity as a bench sub .

The way it was panning out for Tom Wright at Manly a couple of seasons ago , definitely think that it was a poor coaching selection to persevere with Matt Wright [ good bloke that he was ] as a winger when Tom Wright would have been a much improved option there even allowing for his then limited i st grade experience . The way that Hodko and others were also struggling in the 6 and centre positions at the time maybe should also have given Tom Wright the opportunity to keep having a go there but again definitely should have been at least on the wing with his ability level . Now of course there is Garrick , Jorge , Funa and no doubt eventually young Hopps to provide the wing options and Suli and Parker emerging as top centre regulars so would have been difficult to have accommodated Tom Wright in this present scenario .

All good points, it really highlights the loss of Fainu (and Api).

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8