Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I must have got a different impression. Thought Carney had settled in for the Nth Qld feeder club also.

He hasn't shown talent for a while. Hes old. Very similar to Hodko BUT he's got one of the worst histories of off field incidents known in the game. I personally don't want him near our young guys. Only takes 1 bad egg...

Not worth the risk. Hodko is. He offers more than on field. He's a role model. He's the only blues winning half in the last decade. He's composed. Everything you want to spread to your juniors.

I think once the club finalises the cap issues, it will allow them to make a call on Hodko. Enough room, he's in. Not enough room, Croker is the man.

Between Hodko and Carney I'd take Hodko every day of the week. He is a champion off the field. Carney is the biggest screw up of the field... Which one do you want injected in your playing group?
Batty I respect your opinion. You make some very valid points. I guess it just depends on how much emphasis you want to place on a player's historical off field behaviour. Sure you cannot compare the two. Hodko is a saint and a great role model. But I also believe that Carney has matured. We we're going for Pearce and he was a real wild child. So there was also a risk there too. For me Carney has that X factor which could push our team further along towards a premiership. I believe our culture at Manly is strong enough to bring all the black sheep back into the fold. Either way, I'm looking forward to our youngsters having a break out year in the halves.

Thurston 39 games Australia .. 37 games SOO
Cronk 38 games Australia .. 22 games SOO
Carney 1 game Australia .. 3 games SOO

As I said ... NOT the best of his generation.

As I said... he earned a place at the top of the elite tree at the highest level in RL and all the knockers can not knock him off his perch

I dont think you can use those figures to question Carney's talent. He was in Rugby League the top half for a time. It was his personal life that caused his ongoing problems, not his football skills. Talent wise he was one of the best of his generation (and a goal kicker to boot). But he couldnt get his head right off the field.

If his head is right, if he has matured, I'd snap him up in an instant. He's only 31, while Thurston and Cronk are 34. Only two years older than Pierce, Hodkinson and DCE. The kid can play and at this stage I believe has more to offer than Cronk or Thurston, who are both near the end of their career. He's also more creative and faster than Hodkinson. If his head is in the right place, I'd say go for him to allow Croker a year or two to develop.

PSS I call him turning down mega bucks to follow his dream of playing reggies in Qld total BULLSDUST.

Well, he was on 650K a year for 3 years in the UK, did turn down offers to stay in the super league after being being let go by Salford and he also just got around 1.5 million from the wrongful dismissal case against the Sharks, so I doubt money is a generator here.

He wants to redeem himself and his Northern Pride contract is SOLELY an avenue for his NRL return and NP know it.

He pissed in his own mouth. Tell me who of you here haven’t tried that once in your life?
He can brush his teeth gargle a bit of mouth wash and she'll be right mate ;)
3aaeb2b206a78fb2918f9874c4908acf_w.jpg

I know he's still got some talent. Whether he has xfactor now I don't know but the superleague didn't think so. That's not my debate anyway. I'm just saying that his talent isn't worth the risk for a 32yr old who couldn't hold down a job in superleague and who has a history of bad behaviour. Risk v possible reward.

Pearce. Worth the risk. Current rep player. Great club player.

Hodko. Still got some talent. Has alot to offer the team away from the field.

Anyway. Agree to disagree mate.

I would much prefer invest in our future. We have some potential that may perform for sure.
But if DCE goes down, I think we will struggle.... But..... if Cooper Cronk goes down, roosters will struggle, if Pearce goes down, Knights will struggle.

See what happens. I'm sure the club just wants the cap issue dealt with so they can plan who will be next in line.
..... if Cooper Cronk goes down, roosters will struggle, if Pearce goes down, Knights will struggle ????

Who care what happens to the roosters and the Knights if they lose their experienced half . We want to avoid that situation if can and that is why Trent had interest in Carney and Hodko

Last edited:
I dont think you can use those figures to question Carney's talent. He was in Rugby League the top half for a time. It was his personal life that caused his ongoing problems, not his football skills. Talent wise he was one of the best of his generation (and a goal kicker to boot). But he couldnt get his head right off the field.

If his head is right, if he has matured, I'd snap him up in an instant. He's only 31, while Thurston and Cronk are 34. Only two years older than Pierce, Hodkinson and DCE. The kid can play and at this stage I believe has more to offer than Cronk or Thurston, who are both near the end of their career. He's also more creative and faster than Hodkinson. If his head is in the right place, I'd say go for him to allow Croker a year or two to develop.

Please Bear, don't fall into Bozo's habit of only reading what you want to .... I haven't questioned his talent, and used those fiqures in reply to him asserting he was the best of his generation ... he was a good player, but he clearly wasn't the best of his generation..

I prefaced my previous post with the acknowledgement that "I am not a reliable source " when it comes to appraising Carney's value. I honestly don't care how good he was/is/will be, it is simply I loathe the thought of cheering for him.

I know he's still got some talent. Whether he has xfactor now I don't know but the superleague didn't think so. That's not my debate anyway. I'm just saying that his talent isn't worth the risk for a 32yr old who couldn't hold down a job in superleague and who has a history of bad behaviour. Risk v possible reward.

Pearce. Worth the risk. Current rep player. Great club player.

Hodko. Still got some talent. Has alot to offer the team away from the field.

Anyway. Agree to disagree mate.

I would much prefer invest in our future. We have some potential that may perform for sure.
But if DCE goes down, I think we will struggle.... But..... if Cooper Cronk goes down, roosters will struggle, if Pearce goes down, Knights will struggle.

See what happens. I'm sure the club just wants the cap issue dealt with so they can plan who will be next in line.
At the same token Hodko couldn't hold a job at the struggling knights. I guess we agree in principle that we would benefit from an experienced back up 1/2 whilst still pushing for our young halves to develop with fg opportunities.

..... if Cooper Cronk goes down, roosters will struggle, if Pearce goes down, Knights will struggle ????

Who care what happens to the roosters and the Knights is they lose their experienced half . We want to avoid that situation if we have to and that is why Trent had interest in Carney and Hodko
Bozo is that your new profile pic mate ? Must say you look quite a distinguished looking character. I pictured you with a big suit on with feathers all over it ( stir crazy ). very impressed feathered friend.

Bozo is that your new profile pic mate ? Must say you look quite a distinguished looking character. I pictured you with a big suit on with feathers all over it ( stir crazy ). very impressed feathered friend.
Yeh, that's me mate . Feathered friends just like you who have their own profile pics on here have inspired me to have mine as well. We cant keep hiding all our lives can we @:)

Carney's wiki page includes an interesting reminder of his chequered career. Certainly a top talent but his list of off-field indiscretions is also right at the top of the tree.

It is a long list.

For those who say he has matured now, I wonder what that is based on? Age?? All his escapades appear to be alcohol related and that is not a risk that will go away, no matter how old he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Carney

Carney's wiki page includes an interesting reminder of his chequered career. Certainly a top talent but his list of off-field indiscretions is also right at the top of the tree.

It is a long list.

For those who say he has matured now, I wonder what that is based on? Age?? All his escapades appear to be alcohol related and that is not a risk that will go away, no matter how old he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Carney
Yer its a wrap sheet . Id have him on his ability as a player but the question is has he turned his life around . Who knows.

Please Bear, don't fall into Bozo's habit of only reading what you want to .... I haven't questioned his talent, and used those fiqures in reply to him asserting he was the best of his generation ... he was a good player, but he clearly wasn't the best of his generation..

I prefaced my previous post with the acknowledgement that "I am not a reliable source " when it comes to appraising Carney's value. I honestly don't care how good he was/is/will be, it is simply I loathe the thought of cheering for him.

My apologies Woodsie. I wasnt intending to attack you in any way, but merely to put the Carney issue into perspective. Your claims about the number of tests he played compared to the other two are quite justified. All I'm saying is he 'coulda been a contender' but for his dumb activities away from the game.

What I find interesting is that people on here and other clubs' supporters seem fine with supporting/accepting players who have committed serious criminal offences such as domestic abuse,drug use/trafficking and drink driving(yes some are at our club and others not,and yes Carney was a drink driver,and some were targeted by our club for a contract,I will not name names{insert Seinfeld joke here}but we all know them).Yet we refuse to tolerate/forgive a guy who in the last 5-6 yrs(maybe less) has done nothing apart from get drunk and allow someone to take a stupid video.Whether he is a goose or not and whether we need him or not,I think he is worth a shot as at least a backup on a one yr low level contract.Maybe he has not reformed but I can't say for certain that other players currently playing have reformed.

Last edited:
Based on the views of those who know his English form best, he would be a back-up emergency option for us at best. Especially noting that he hasn't even had the benefit of an NRL pre-season to get fit, let alone getting used to a new team.

These folks weren't too distressed to learn he was leaving:
http://deviltalk.co.uk/thread/747/todd-carney

Carney has the special talent of being self-hydrating. No need to keep going for the water bottle during breaks in play. Just pull it out and guzzle away.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8