Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I have to agree with @Ralphie's concerns in respect of the loss of Green.

I really hope I'm wrong but I base this on the improvement over the 2016 performances that Green made, and especially giving DCE wings.

Green complemented DCE in 2017, and unless he is replaced by an equal or better replacement that works well with DCE's style of play, we are again potentially weakening our 6 and 7.

Baz lived the pain of 2016, I'm sure he's got a plan for 2018.

I think we have Carney, at worst a busted Hodkinson.... Both kick goals. I agree we probably need an experienced half to teach our young guns, if we want to be a challenge this year, and we definitely need a goal kicker to win the comp.

The topic of signing Carney appears to be extremely polarised among us here. Some don't want him in a Manly jumper at any price and others would love to sign him.
There doesn't seen to be any middle-ground feelings on him playing for us and I guess for most either his past off-field behavior or top level on-field NRL performances are extreme enough for us to see him totally one way or the other, and fair enough.
I can't recall Carney ever displaying poor on-field behavior, bad sportsmanship or any other poor character displays regarding anything to do with his footy.

Despite his past off-field stupidity I think he would be a very astute acquisition after the salary cap bulldoodoo is over and feel he is still pretty strong on Baz's radar.

We will see.

We should sign Carney for a shot at the Premiership this year. He should invite the Board to his place for a barbie and offer them his home brew. Fresh from the source...

Carney is in the same category as hodko. Stop gap solution to a problem. Not worth investing time and money imo. Anyway I’d say he’d be long odds to be on the radar anyway.

Carney is in the same category as hodko. Stop gap solution to a problem. Not worth investing time and money imo. Anyway I’d say he’d be long odds to be on the radar anyway.
I agree and I thought the same as for Green . Stop gap solutions.

DCE
Hastings
Croker
Metcalf
Cust
Fainu
Lussick Jnr
Tom Wright
M. Wright
Siro

(Daylight)

George Rose
Carney.

I was in the sign him camp but have changed my mind.
Develop the young guys and sign them long term if it looks promising.
When Hodkinson left for the Dogs the media said it was the end of the world. Then we unleashed DCE partnering Foran and they helped take us to a premiership.
Sign Carney or Hodkinson short term we may lose one of the younger guys who could be a long-term solution to partner DCE.

We have younger options and I would rather develop them and be a chance of winning in the next couple of years as our young team matures. We will not win a comp with Carney in our team!! We dont need his baggage!!

If we got Carney that's not going to stop Crokers and Metcalfs growth this year. For both these young players it's a msssive development year. Croker will prob start the year in 1st grade while Metcalf is still a year or so off. But why would signing Carney stun their growth? We really need an expiranced head at 5/8 at the club where his knowledge would be invaluable. Would also be a very handy back up in case one of the halves go down. We still have a spot free in the roster that was kept for Hodko but that looks to be slipping. For me I really hope we are still looking at Carney

I was in the sign him camp but have changed my mind.
Develop the young guys and sign them long term if it looks promising.
When Hodkinson left for the Dogs the media said it was the end of the world. Then we unleashed DCE partnering Foran and they helped take us to a premiership.
Sign Carney or Hodkinson short term we may lose one of the younger guys who could be a long-term solution to partner DCE.
The trouble is we don't have another DCE and Foran in Hastings and Crocker and that is why we went all out to sign Pearce

I don't see Carney as the "stop-gap" others do. At 31yo I believe he still has the ability to be a top tier 5/8 for 2, 3 or 4 seasons ...if he wants to be.

MOST top level halves matured in their mid twenties and our young guys have a lot of time and experience will come.

I believe Carney would do a great job getting us to the point that these young guys are ready to be OUR FG halves.

I think Baz does too.

It would be nice to have a talented and experienced pivot to take some of the structured playbook and youngster coaching out of DCE and Baz's hands and heads a bit too.

Last edited:
Pretty sure @Snake confirmed the club had given up in it's interest of Carney.

Good thing in my opinion too. We don't need a piss in mouth "mature" half guiding our future players on or off the field.
Wasn't that because they were keen on Hodko instead? Now that it seems he's gone to the sharks they may revisit. I still think Carney is still a good back up option.

I must have got a different impression. Thought Carney had settled in for the Nth Qld feeder club also.

It has been widely reported that the Northern Pride would not stand in the way of him playing NRL.

I think once the club finalises the cap issues, it will allow them to make a call on Hodko. Enough room, he's in.
Between Hodko and Carney I'd take Hodko every day of the week

The rumour mill is saying Hocko is going to the Sharks, so it's not a matter of either/or anymore, it's about having someone as backup.

I totally appreciate your concerns about Carney's history but honestly consider, how much rotten egg influencing would be permitted/allowed/TOLERATED in the current Manly/Baz culture?. I would guess none and that would have been made patently clear to Carney a LONG time ago. Guaranteed.

Last edited:
I think it would be best for Croker, and therefore us if we keep him, if he gets the start now. Seems like he has been slaying himself to get that spot and it would be pretty devastating for him to put in all that effort only to lose the spot to Carney. Better competition for Hastings and Metcalf too.

I think one of those 3 will step up and justify their place in the top 17 and make us competitive.

Until the Sharks sign Hodko and it's no longer a rumour, I will continue to favour him over Carney any day of the week.
Only last year Salford released him.
So he can't even hold a job in the super league but people are frothing about him coming to play for us.... With his history.

And I'm sure Carney has been told a few times in his career that bad behaviour won't be permitted/allowed/tolerated.... And how has that worked out.

No thanks. Can't make superleague, can't stay out of the headlines....Not worth the risk.

All together now batty ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
A one legged friend
a one legged friend
he'll never let you down
Hes honest and experienced right to the end
Hodko the one legged friend

I know I am not a reliable source when appraising Carney's value, I look at him and think fukk standing on the sideline and cheering for that congenital fukwit.

However, some of you "he is the Messiah" advocates should remember he turns 32 this year, and hasn't played in the NRL since 2014, and then only until he was kicked out. I might have missed reports of his (17 games) brilliance at Salford, but don't think so ...

He was a good player, but never the best of his generation, and could/would add something to our team .. but how much more would he add than the two keen junior Kangaroos battling it out for the spot. ... not enough to make a never mind ..

PSS I call him turning down mega bucks to follow his dream of playing reggies in Qld total BULLSDUST.

I know I am not a reliable source when appraising Carney's value, I look at him and think fukk standing on the sideline and cheering for that congenital fukwit.

However, some of you "he is the Messiah" advocates should remember he turns 32 this year, and hasn't played in the NRL since 2014, and then only until he was kicked out. I might have missed reports of his (17 games) brilliance at Salford, but don't think so ...
c.. but how much more would he add than the two keen junior Kangaroos battling it out for the spot. ... not enough to make a never mind ..

PSS I call him turning down mega bucks to follow his dream of playing reggies in Qld total BULLSDUST.
He was a good player, but never the best of his generation,????

For a bloke that played for his country and his state I would say he would have been at the top of the tree . He also has the honours of Dally M Best Player of the year which included great players like Thurston. He was also named the International federations International player of the year .
I know that he has done some stupid things off field but at the end of the day he has earned the respect of his peers on field
Todd+Carney+New+Zealand+v+Australia+Four+Nations+INjrMRbQgoEl.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8