Pre-Game Tigers v Manly [Round 14, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

4 30
Campbelltown Stadium
12 Jun 2022 02:00 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron smith, billy slater, or cronk. Champion players that spent their entire careers under the best coach and might be able to bring the storm system to Manly. In order to beat the best you need to copy the best.
As much as it sucks to agree with whom you’ve mentioned, imo you are right, I was super impressed with everything Slater did in his first outing as a rookie coach, his team selections, the personal he surrounded himself with, his management during the game, the use of his bench, positional changes, his tactics, their game plan work to a tee, however the most impressive thing for mine was his post match presser, no wonder his boys busted a gut for him, his a champion bloke, spoke honestly, professionally and most importantly is all over the modern game.
He would be an awesome coach, just been reading that there’s no decent coaches available, well if you keep looking in the same box all you’ll see is the same old thing. Qld looked outside the box an nailed it. I know origin is very different but any of those 3 you mentioned and there would be quite a few others I‘m sure who would make great first grade coaches.

It's rare the Master Chefs (Cleary and Lui) don't get to cook....had no time, as the fast paced Maroons pack shut down the Kitchen (NSW forward pack) and that was game over....no doubt the game plan was to "limit" the halves and by taking away time on the ball - exactly what happened.
After the 1st NSW try it was ALL Qld and Blues were lucky to be so close at FT.

Cameron smith, billy slater, or cronk. Champion players that spent their entire careers under the best coach and might be able to bring the storm system to Manly. In order to beat the best you need to copy the best. They could probably get more Queenslanders playing for Manly too.
That's a big ask IQ, maybe revisit this question at a much later date. The matches we have against each other are still loaded with intent and anything purple around the Northern Beaches is despised intently.

I do not agree that des has come back to a very strong roster since his return from the dogs. With our top heavy salary cap, many positions are left weak, slow centres, average wingers, letting go Api and suspended Fainu. I reckon we over achieved to get to last 4 in 2021. (and that was only because turbo was playing out of his skin). I believe where we are in 2022 is spot on. we are a position 8-12 team. That is my take and perspective on the matter. No delusion or wishful thinking. we will only improve if we can wisely allocate our salary cap to obtain players with say a 7/10 ability in all positions, rather than a few 9/10 players and 4.5/10 or to 5/10 players in other positions. Just look how balanced were our squad in 2007, 2008, 2011 through to 2013 was.

This is Dessie's 4th year in charge.

Every single player and every single contract has been signed on Dessie's watch,

The one exception is DCE, and reports say he is currently negotiating an extension.

So, inherit or build .. the current roster is 100% Des. Personally I think it is a good top4 squad.

We are just not getting top 4 performances.

As much as it sucks to agree with whom you’ve mentioned, imo you are right, I was super impressed with everything Slater did in his first outing as a rookie coach, his team selections, the personal he surrounded himself with, his management during the game, the use of his bench, positional changes, his tactics, their game plan work to a tee, however the most impressive thing for mine was his post match presser, no wonder his boys busted a gut for him, his a champion bloke, spoke honestly, professionally and most importantly is all over the modern game.
He would be an awesome coach, just been reading that there’s no decent coaches available, well if you keep looking in the same box all you’ll see is the same old thing. Qld looked outside the box an nailed it. I know origin is very different but any of those 3 you mentioned and there would be quite a few others I‘m sure who would make great first grade coaches.

The worst thing about Slater is you know he's going to be the next Storm coach and its going to be a seamless transition from Bellamy

Every single player and every single contract has been signed on Dessie's watch,

The one exception is DCE, and reports say he is currently negotiating an extension.

So, inherit or build .. the current roster is 100% Des. Personally I think it is a good top4 squad.

Is it not official? Thought it was. Be crazy to extend him. His current deal still goes a few more seasons. I think that's enough.

Could be. But what do you do with Foran? Play him off the bench as a second hooker?
I doubt DESpicable will move the captain of a successful SOO side to the bench.
Realistically, the only time The Shoe will play five-eight this season will be when DCE or Foran are unavailable.
I will have either Foran or Davey on the bench .To make everyone happy Schuster to play 40 mins at 6 and 40 mins at 12 .Up to Des to work out who starts each week of Foran and Davey .

So lets play a game. Des goes, who do we get to replace him? This is a serious issue because everyone else out there are crap. There is no one else. I am open to suggestions.
So when we are in a situation where we are not winning the big games against the Big teams for Manly to be premiership contender and live up to our Benchmark of excellence once again

Do we stick with an underperforming Des or do we dare to look else where ?

The answer is
Those who stick with people that keep losing just keep losing
And those that go out of their comfort zone and dare to look else where find a winner because not every one out there is crap .

Who is the next great coach ? The one that the ones that dare seek to find him because he is out there waiting for the opportunity

The moral of the story
Every great person was a nobody before they got their break to be become a some body

So when we are in a situation where we are not winning the big games against the Big teams for Manly to be premiership contender and live up to our Benchmark of excellence once again

Do we stick with an underperforming Des or do we dare to look else where ?

The answer is
Those who stick with people that keep losing just keep losing
And those that go out of their comfort zone and dare to look else where find a winner because not every one out there is crap .

Who is the next great coach ? The one that the ones that dare seek to find him because he is out there waiting for the opportunity

The moral of the story
Every great person was a nobody before they got their break to be become a some body
Yeah.....Trent Barrett

I understand your thoughts but success comes from being proactive rather than being late and reactive. Sacking a coach mid season is foolish. I am a real critic of Des at the moment and agree with Marks observations. I hope that management are not sitting on their hands waiting for Des to suddenly change and pull a rabbit out of his hat. I hope they are planning ahead and looking around for a replacement for next year if we don't improve.
Hi Tragic, that's all well and good, but seriously WHO would you get? No point hiring a sacked coach, not any really great assistant coaches out there as well. The barn yard is going through a drought and the animals are eating each other. More importantly it's even harder getting a coach that already doesn't hate us.

Cameron smith, billy slater, or cronk. Champion players that spent their entire careers under the best coach and might be able to bring the storm system to Manly. In order to beat the best you need to copy the best. They could probably get more Queenslanders playing for Manly too.
Thanks for putting up options. Cronk doesn't want to coach he talks about it on corporate speaking engagements. Slater won one game, jury is out. Cameron smith - interesting, but if he was to coach wouldn't that be at Melb?

The last time we had to look for a new coach, there were a few former premiership-winning coaches available... and at least one of them publicly stated words to the effect of "thanks but no thanks".

I found that odd as even though we finished 15th in 2018, we still had a decent squad with then-current test and origin players. Surely any well-credentialed or good prospective coaches would have jumped at the chance to progress their career... but apart from Des, that didn't seem to happen.

Maybe the club should ask itself why that was the case, and maybe proactively do something about it, before we next have to go to market for another head coach... whenever that is.
Fair call.

Yeah.....Trent Barrett
Oh the pain , the pain

1654831803102.png

Hi Tragic, that's all well and good, but seriously WHO would you get? No point hiring a sacked coach, not any really great assistant coaches out there as well. The barn yard is going through a drought and the animals are eating each other. More importantly it's even harder getting a coach that already doesn't hate us.

Yeah but .. heaven help us as an organisation and as a species if we ever knowingly continue down an unsuccessful path .. simply because we fear change.

Pss .. I don't think Dessie is at that stage yet ... but

Yeah but .. heaven help us as an organisation and as a species if we ever knowingly continue down an unsuccessful path .. simply because we fear change.

Pss .. I don't think Dessie is at that stage yet ... but
Well said Woodsie

The only way out of the bottom of the ladder is though change

Stage 1 Change of game plan
If that does not work go to stage 2

Stage 2 Change of players
If that does not work go to stage 3

Stage 3 Change of coach

I also have not given up on Des as yet and hope he starts over achieving
other wise we will all begin to start to not believing

In hindsight Des was made to look so good on his return because Barrett was that bad.

My biggest beef with Des is that we have terrible discipline and little imagination. And we are told he is a perfectionist and is the mad professor coming up with out of the box ideas.

The team plays nothing like it these days.

Well said Woodsie

The only way out of the bottom of the ladder is though change

Stage 1 Change of game plan
If that does not work go to stage 2

Stage 2 Change of players
If that does not work go to stage 3

Stage 3 Change of coach

I also have not given up on Des as yet and hope he starts over achieving
other wise we will all begin to start to not believing
I think the bulldogs have tried that approach on a number of occasions…. I not sure it works though!

Just sayin’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8