The squad takes shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No maybe not.
But today I saw extended highlights on fox of our round 8 (?) loss to the Panthers (the one that was quite close) and Harper had some really good touches in attack. He did get done by To'o of course, but he showed in several games he is a keen defender so I'm quite looking forward to what he shows next year with this experience behind him.
Hope you're right. I do remember having doubts on Matai when he first started out and look how he turned out.

Hope you're right. I do remember having doubts on Matai when he first started out and look how he turned out.
Yeah me too. There is something iconic about the centre position, probably comes from being a Manly fan and our great list of classy centres going right back to the incredible Bozo. When Matai debuted I thought, 'oh, yeah he seems enthusiastic, but not especially fast and elusive, oh well.' Became one of my absolute favourites, despite the fact I can't recall him ever scoring a long range try!

It appears our squad for 2022 is in place. We removed 5 players from list, 4 of them from "30" list leaving 3 spots after Bullemor signing. If Sione Fainu, Kaeo Weekes, Alec Tuitavake are added then thats the full squad.

It appears our squad for 2022 is in place. We removed 5 players from list, 4 of them from "30" list leaving 3 spots after Bullemor signing. If Sione Fainu, Kaeo Weekes, Alec Tuitavake are added then thats the full squad.
Weekes and Tu'itavake will probably be staying in the development squad. S Fainu will definitely go into the 30. Right now with Walker and S Fainu unsigned we have four spots available. That might change if Cust gets a release. I think we will end up with a minimum two, possibly three more signings from outside the club.

Is Tariq Sims still available? Feel like we need an older head with a bit of mongrel. Not sure we have that.

Weekes and Tu'itavake will probably be staying in the development squad. S Fainu will definitely go into the 30. Right now with Walker and S Fainu unsigned we have four spots available. That might change if Cust gets a release. I think we will end up with a minimum two, possibly three more signings from outside the club.
Yep the squad is certainly not set yet and I wouldn't say it will be completely set until just before the season. There are always moving parts with players wanting to swap clubs, clubs wanting to offload. Our Salary Cap situation isn't great which will hamstring us unless someone on decent money is let go. I gather Suli and Sirro were on a bit.

Yep the squad is certainly not set yet and I wouldn't say it will be completely set until just before the season. There are always moving parts with players wanting to swap clubs, clubs wanting to offload. Our Salary Cap situation isn't great which will hamstring us unless someone on decent money is let go. I gather Suli and Sirro were on a bit.
Yep BT, competition for spots in the forwards and bench fwds will be fierce, the signing of Bully just made it even harder. Looking forward to what Davey can bring for us. You would have to think with the 5 players leaving, probably saving us a bit over the 1m mark. Think were in a good position with the cap tbh.

Yep BT, competition for spots in the forwards and bench fwds will be fierce, the signing of Bully just made it even harder. Looking forward to what Davey can bring for us. You would have to think with the 5 players leaving, probably saving us a bit over the 1m mark. Think were in a good position with the cap tbh.
yes - I agree totally - I really think there will be some surprises along the way. Yes I am excited about Davey as well...... just worried him being 30... knee injury... super late bloomer... has he missed the boat and we have missed what he could have added. I really do think though that he is that all heart type of player we need. I think I recall in his brief stint that he put on some shots - certainly he was very good in attack. We need someone else besides Jake to carry more defensive load and to put some sting in the defence. Keppie can hit, Aloiai can hit - Haumole can hit but they are only pinch hitters - once in a while and they certainly don't do 40/50 tackles per game. We also need Haumole to come off the long run and make big yards... this business of catch the ball flat footed and then try and power over the top of a defender was a total dud... yes he made some metres.. yes he is hard to handle but imagine how hard he would be to contain if he ran with some real intent? I think some of the improvement comes from within but I still think we need to find a young Dale Finucane/Jake clone on the cheap.... now I am dreaming lol,

It appears to me that the backs will be as per '21, except for the Walker fiasco as I can't see him re-signing as a 14, and us ponying up 450k for him to play that role. Would an extension mean he would be moving back to the centres? Surely the Beef addition rules out the Walker playing prop rotation thing. The forwards make-up is totally undefined with the Beef signing and the possibility of Marty moving on. I like it.

Does Cust want a release,I haven't heard anything

Does Cust want a release,I haven't heard anything
Only rumours at this stage. He does want to play first grade though, and there is no real pathway for him to do that with us. The Warriors were mentioned as a possible destination, but that now might depend on whether they get Metcalfe. Cust provides halves cover for us, but if Walker re-signs and Fainu comes back, then any pathway for Cust becomes even tougher. I don't think we will hold him back if he gets a real opportunity somewhere else.

Only rumours at this stage. He does want to play first grade though, and there is no real pathway for him to do that with us. The Warriors were mentioned as a possible destination, but that now might depend on whether they get Metcalfe. Cust provides halves cover for us, but if Walker re-signs and Fainu comes back, then any pathway for Cust becomes even tougher. I don't think we will hold him back if he gets a real opportunity somewhere else.
Fainu....... gee we all need to move on until he is back if he is back and until he then shows he still has the skill and fitness and desire etc after three years out of the game. So many IF's with Manase. Really not worth contemplating at all and he wont be ready next year and that is what we need now - so to me Cust wont be going anywhere hopefully.

yes - I agree totally - I really think there will be some surprises along the way. Yes I am excited about Davey as well...... just worried him being 30... knee injury... super late bloomer... has he missed the boat and we have missed what he could have added. I really do think though that he is that all heart type of player we need. I think I recall in his brief stint that he put on some shots - certainly he was very good in attack. We need someone else besides Jake to carry more defensive load and to put some sting in the defence. Keppie can hit, Aloiai can hit - Haumole can hit but they are only pinch hitters - once in a while and they certainly don't do 40/50 tackles per game. We also need Haumole to come off the long run and make big yards... this business of catch the ball flat footed and then try and power over the top of a defender was a total dud... yes he made some metres.. yes he is hard to handle but imagine how hard he would be to contain if he ran with some real intent? I think some of the improvement comes from within but I still think we need to find a young Dale Finucane/Jake clone on the cheap.... now I am dreaming lol,
Good summation BT, Just to address some of your points. Davey missed a whole season and didn't play many games the season before with Parra, so will be fresh and champing at the bit to go, really got a good feeling with Davey. That hit up he made v Roosters when he put Friend into retirement was all power he'll be looking to emulate that again next year. Hard to find tackling machines like Jake, Croker stepped up and was a rock around the ruck and helped out with Jakes defensive workload. Not sure players these days are up to doing 40 to 50 tackles a game like Jake and Croker. Finucane and his type are as rare as hens teeth. Haumole was a beast for us attacking the edges, he will know he needs to improve on that, he learnt so much and will come back next year an even greater threat. So, looking forward to next season, having Bullemore coming into the pack will revitalize the forwards, and promotes good competition for positions.

Good summation BT, Just to address some of your points. Davey missed a whole season and didn't play many games the season before with Parra, so will be fresh and champing at the bit to go, really got a good feeling with Davey. That hit up he made v Roosters when he put Friend into retirement was all power he'll be looking to emulate that again next year. Hard to find tackling machines like Jake, Croker stepped up and was a rock around the ruck and helped out with Jakes defensive workload. Not sure players these days are up to doing 40 to 50 tackles a game like Jake and Croker. Finucane and his type are as rare as hens teeth. Haumole was a beast for us attacking the edges, he will know he needs to improve on that, he learnt so much and will come back next year an even greater threat. So, looking forward to next season, having Bullemore coming into the pack will revitalize the forwards, and promotes good competition for positions.
yes agree totally... just hope we haven't missed the Davey boat. For a couple of years he could bring something we don't have besides Jake and that is all heart and effort. You can't buy that sadly - not many Ian Martin types around that is for sure!

Will put a different complexion on the squad make up if Walker does not stay on and with his versatility factor . Would "t be a sound outcome for Manly if they are prepared to pay some type of overs for him however with Suli moving on , one less centre option if Harper and Parker have any issues from preventing Manly going to the next level to get to premiership level . Koula and Tippytoes obviously have good potential but still has to be translated at i st grade level .Not sure of the upside of Sione Fainu , seems to be a promising up and comer but also still unsigned for some reason . Complete squad make up still has some definite fine tuning yet to get the preferred balance good or close to it .

You are right about Haumole's running. It was noticeable towards the end of the season, that he was always running from a standing start. Don't know what caused that change in style, but it did reduce his effectiveness. Surprised the coaches did not seem to pick up on it.

We have a great young squad plus depth, 2 spare spots should someone good turn up along with my favourite Jorge! How good is life
Taufua has been hopeless on the wing for a few years. Perhaps could fill in in the centres, or second row. Maybe needed to mentor the Islands boys.

You are right about Haumole's running. It was noticeable towards the end of the season, that he was always running from a standing start. Don't know what caused that change in style, but it did reduce his effectiveness. Surprised the coaches did not seem to pick up on it.
Probably better to be just slightly wide of the ruck and a bit deeper when he takes his runs . Maybe also not so many unders runs back inside , a la Siro , really limits his effectiveness dong that . Just has to work it out with his halves and D C E in particular , Definitely one of Manly 's better attacking assets and just has to get the positioning and timing a little more in sync .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4