The send off's .. and tackle technique ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Kevinward777

First Grader
It started with the stupid 6 agains and now this. I actually do t mind the binning of head shots, it’s the way they’ve rolled it out. This needed to be an off season process in line with a full review of the legs tackle and reward for same. All these rules are being thrown together in the run. I’ve watched tackling technique closely this week and nobody goes low. There’s no reward in it, in fact you are penalized with quick play the balls. (I know this has been said before). PVL is seriously f$&@ing up this game. 6 agains is the stupidest concept and still think it is. Too much of this stuff is mired in grey area. Good luck nrl.
Yep - what the NRL has failed to understand is that defence is 50% of the game.

TokyoEagle

Bencher
But Mark ... only 1 out of every 1170 tackles on the weekend warranted a send off ... and not one of those tackles was a result of poor technique ... they were all just dumb brainfarts that would be send offs in any era ..

The only issue that is causing me concern is how the NRL is going to treat the accidental or unavoidable contact ...
If they are send offs in any era, why did we get three on the weekend. How many send offs did we get the weekend before?

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
10 minutes in the bin seems a long time for and 80 min game, but some commentators state their case about not having a 5 min sin bin.

As we are now well and truly into the players "simulating" injuries (not sure why they just don't say faking) - I'm wondering if the rule can't be changed (ugh yet again) that if the team scores when the opposition has a player in the bin the player comes back on.

Like the NHL. 2 mins in the bin or until the other team scores.

I doubt the NRL will ever have the guts to call someone out on diving because of the chorus of "you're not doctors, what if he has a neck injury? wah, think of the children, etc"

- which seems silly because calling a player out for diving doesn't put him in danger, he can be hurt, just that the officials don't believe he/she is.

they have a diving call in the nhl as well... if they think you're faking it... 2 in the bin for you!

The canucks have been faking it as a hockey team for about 5 years now.

(edit: this is a result of posting pre coffee)

Last edited:
Are we over reacting ... Is tackling techniques the huge problem that has to be changed ... or is it a simpler matter of eliminating the bonehead brainfarts ??

A quick count ot total tackles by Manly against Broncos showed we made 224 tackles ... if each team averages roughly the same ... that means there were in the vicinity of 3500 tackles completed in Magic round ..

Of those 3500 tackles ... 3 were deemed worthy of a send-off .. or just 0.0857% ...

And of those 3 tackles ...
(1) On To'o had nothing to do with technique, just a brain explosion ...
(2) .. Josh Papalii was another shoulder chage brainfart and nothing to do with technique .. and
(3) .. I didn't see the Papanhuyzen one, so I don't know ..

Of the 14 sinbins, only about 8 were the result of high shots or tackles gone wrong ....

So .. Is this the huge readjustment to tackling techniques being touted ... or simply a wake up call to the over enthusiastic boneheads ...
Total over reaction and as someone who tackled low I can assure you in today's game and with what seems like you get hit with a feather on the melon and you are knocked out there will be a million more concussions from players going low than what is happening with high shots. My head looks like a zipper advertising board with all the stitches and I had great technique but going low you will always catch the odd hip, knee, elbow. I still believe that you alter the technique based on the game situation, field position and body type of the runner etc. You don't always go low or high. The game does not have the coat hangers any more and is damn safe compared to what a lot of us experienced. Going lower will add way more defenders getting concussion plus you have to reward the legs tackle which they don't with the uber quick play the balls and not being able to hold down.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Total over reaction and as someone who tackled low I can assure you in today's game and with what seems like you get hit with a feather on the melon and you are knocked out there will be a million more concussions from players going low than what is happening with high shots. My head looks like a zipper advertising board with all the stitches and I had great technique but going low you will always catch the odd hip, knee, elbow. I still believe that you alter the technique based on the game situation, field position and body type of the runner etc. You don't always go low or high. The game does not have the coat hangers any more and is damn safe compared to what a lot of us experienced. Going lower will add way more defenders getting concussion plus you have to reward the legs tackle which they don't with the uber quick play the balls and not being able to hold down.
OK. Netball it is then!

OK. Netball it is then!
They just need to be reasonable - purposeful or simply terrible technique needs to be banned. Accidental/incidental or innocuous contact with the head - penalty or 6 to go and play on. The first sin binning of Radley was a joke - not sure he even touches the head. The sinbinning last week of Lachlan Burr was also a total joke. What is he suipposed to do when Tedesco fell into his arm? A complete and utter farce.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
They just need to be reasonable - purposeful or simply terrible technique needs to be banned. Accidental/incidental or innocuous contact with the head - penalty or 6 to go and play on. The first sin binning of Radley was a joke - not sure he even touches the head. The sinbinning last week of Lachlan Burr was also a total joke. What is he suipposed to do when Tedesco fell into his arm? A complete and utter farce.
I agree with the comment further up about gradings around severity: report, sin bin, send off. Solves everything provided the ref gets it right - and that's the big if in every sport.

court83

Bencher
I'm legitimately worried about this today.
Watching last night's game, 90% of the send offs/reports were absolute rubbish and will be sitting players out for weeks over nothing ..
Manly can't afford that .. imagine losing tapau or Jake or both for a number of weeks because a hand bounced off the ball and slapped someone's face... It would legitimately derail our entire season.. we can't afford to lose anymore players than we already have this year and so far this weekend PLENTY of players are looking at holidays for absolutely nothing... If it happens to us we may aswell forfeit the season

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
These are not the send offs you're looking for...

BronzeDizzyGrasshopper-size_restricted.gif

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
If they are send offs in any era, why did we get three on the weekend. How many send offs did we get the weekend before?

In the tele today is a list of send offs and sin bins since 1998 ... make of them what you can .. but they were very fashionable from '98 - '00 ...

'98 .. 63 sin bins .. 17 send offs
'99 .. 81 sin bins .. 9 send offs
'00 .. 53 sin bins .. 8 send offs
'01 .. 29 sin bins .. 3 send offs
'02 .. 36 sin bins .. 5 send offs
'03 .. 41 sin bins .. 6 send offs
'04 .. 35 sin bins .. 4 send offs
'05 .. 30 sin bins ..2 send offs
'06 .. 41 sin bins .. 4 send offs
'07 .. 21 sin bins .. 0 send offs
'08 .. 14 sin bins .. 1 send offs
'09 .. 28 sin bins .. 0 send offs
'10 .. 26 sin bins .. 1 send offs
'11 .. 20 sin bins .. 3 send offs
'12 .. 11 sin bins .. 3 send offs
'13 .. 15 sin bins .. 2 send offs
'14 .. 24 sin bins .. 0 send offs
'15 .. 13 sin bins .. 1 send offs
'16 .. 17 sin bins .. 0 send offs
'17 .. 43 sin bins .. 0 send offs
'18 .. 112 sin bins .. 1 send offs ... sin bins strike back
'19 .. 62 sin bins .. 1 send offs
'20 .. 56 sin bins .. 3 send offs
'21 .. 34 sin bins .. 4 send offs .... so far and climbing

QLDSeaeagle

Reserve Grader
Some of the so called crusher tackles last night looked pretty innocuous. It seems you only have to get up holding the back of your neck to get a penalty.
The new technique in tackles is to hold the ball with one hand and clutch at ..the neck......the head......the throat, preferably looking head on to the camera, Some Premier League acting going on now.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I applaud the game trying to rub out head high tackles. What is really evident is that the speed of the game leads to fatigue and leads to players making technical mistakes with their tackling.

What is needed though is balance. We have seen over the last 2 weekends the crackdowns and some farcial decision to sin bin guys for tackles where the arm comes up off the ball or it is not a swinging arm. The sin bin penalty is a harsh one for a team in the modern game and it needs to be used sensibly and if the tackle is a really bad one by all means send the culprit off.

I would also like to see a sin bin reduced from 10 minutes to 5 minutes for transgressions in the ruck, play the ball etc.

The worst thing about this crack down is that it is bringing out the cynical side of the game, players milking for penalties, trying to get opponents sin binned, waving 10 fingers at the ref to make that happen. The NRL need to be careful here as it will incite frustration as players should not be penalized for a good hit as long as they dont hit a guys head.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Is Nate Myles still around?
He could really be useful with head contact now a sinbin he will be impossible to tackle without a penalty.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16