The send off's .. and tackle technique ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Are we over reacting ... Is tackling techniques the huge problem that has to be changed ... or is it a simpler matter of eliminating the bonehead brainfarts ??

A quick count ot total tackles by Manly against Broncos showed we made 224 tackles ... if each team averages roughly the same ... that means there were in the vicinity of 3500 tackles completed in Magic round ..

Of those 3500 tackles ... 3 were deemed worthy of a send-off .. or just 0.0857% ...

And of those 3 tackles ...
(1) On To'o had nothing to do with technique, just a brain explosion ...
(2) .. Josh Papalii was another shoulder chage brainfart and nothing to do with technique .. and
(3) .. I didn't see the Papanhuyzen one, so I don't know ..

Of the 14 sinbins, only about 8 were the result of high shots or tackles gone wrong ....

So .. Is this the huge readjustment to tackling techniques being touted ... or simply a wake up call to the over enthusiastic boneheads ...

Are we over reacting ... Is tackling techniques the huge problem that has to be changed ... or is it a simpler matter of eliminating the bonehead brainfarts ??

A quick count ot total tackles by Manly against Broncos showed we made 224 tackles ... if each team averages roughly the same ... that means there were in the vicinity of 3500 tackles completed in Magic round ..

Of those 3500 tackles ... 3 were deemed worthy of a send-off .. or just 0.0857% ...

And of those 3 tackles ...
(1) On To'o had nothing to do with technique, just a brain explosion ...
(2) .. Josh Papalii was another shoulder chage brainfart and nothing to do with technique .. and
(3) .. I didn't see the Papanhuyzen one, so I don't know ..

Of the 14 sinbins, only about 8 were the result of high shots or tackles gone wrong ....

So .. Is this the huge readjustment to tackling techniques being touted ... or simply a wake up call to the over enthusiastic boneheads ...
It's an overreaction from the NRL.

This debacle will be modified in coming weeks. Logic and reason will see a readjustment to the interpretation of what is deemed a sin bin offence - simples. No need to over think the matter.

Last edited:
I "d say mainly a wake up call , saw some of the week end indiscretions last night and most looked quite avoidable and just lazy and intemperate efforts gone wrong .

I think the reaction is due to the effect the send offs had on the outcome of each game.

I believe Canberra were the only team that won a game in which they had players (2) sent to the bin.

All the other games resulted in blowout scores to the team who either had no players sent off, or had players sent off so late in the game that it had no effect on the score (us vs Brisbane for example).

I think the reaction is due to the effect the send offs had on the outcome of each game.

I believe Canberra were the only team that won a game in which they had players (2) sent to the bin.

All the other games resulted in blowout scores to the team who either had no players sent off, or had players sent off so late in the game that it had no effect in the score (us vs Brisbane for example).

Back in the 70's ... I think it may have either been Arko or Gibson that said the game of Rugby League has always thrived on controversy ... and nothing gets the punters more activated than a good old fashioned send off ...

I remember games where we had a player send off and because of 3 injuries and only 2 reserves finished the last 10 minutes with only 11 players .. and held on to win ... that is the stuff of legends and what the game was built on ....

A hard earnt draw against a better team, or over-coming adversity and crook ref's was a matter of pride ... this game management to ensure a vanilla essence where nobody is sent off so as not to upset anybody is an artificial opiate that dulls the passion .. of both outrage and joy ...

Change the game significantly to be faster with less interchange, forcing more tired players out there and then wonder why some tackles go wrong.

I have no problem with trying to stop high shots but the clear majority of them have more to do with the game itself and accidents than anything else

It's resulted in players grimacing in extreme pain & going down like they've been shot at the slightest contact with their heads.

Our own Garrick was guilty of it when Gamble tackled him high, although I was glad to see him sent as he was carrying on like a pork chop for most of the game.

It's resulted in players grimacing in extreme pain & going down like they've been shot at the slightest contact with their heads.

Our own Garrick was guilty of it when Gamble tackled him high, although I was glad to see him sent as he was carrying on like a pork chop for most of the game.

Hahaahaa .. yeah, that open mouthed astonishment at being hard done by was getting a bit comical in the end ...

The nrl are protecting themselves against any massive legal suits around players suffering brain damage. A big enough case could financially kill the game.

Same as when they banned the shoulder charge (personally I enjoyed someone putting on a great shoulder charge without hitting the other players head but the nrl deemed it an all or nothing situation)

Can’t see them going back on the latest rules any time soon so we are all going to have to get used to it

I actually agree with binning a player for foul play/headshots as the team who suffers the injury actually gets some benefit out of the situation, as opposed to the team who play the the team at fault the following week(s)

Change the game significantly to be faster with less interchange, forcing more tired players out there and then wonder why some tackles go wrong.

I have no problem with trying to stop high shots but the clear majority of them have more to do with the game itself and accidents than anything else
Only the geniuses at NRL could create such a wonderful sporting paradox. I wonder how their method would work in motorsports? "Okay fellas - we're going to increase the acceleration and top end speed of the cars, but your braking systems are going to be downgraded. Don't worry, it will be really exciting for the fans."

I reckon there's a heap of confusion with what is happening in the game....
Firstly I 100% agree with clamping down on direct head shots....the modern day game is not 1960's where anything go's and we can't become dinasours and neglect change when it comes to brain welfare and a sport we all love and want parents not afraid to let their kids play....however the ridiculous new rewind for penalties 4 tackles later, these blokes laying down for penalties, a bloke with the ball falling 1 foot off the ground and it's rated a high shot (no that's accidental contact - not intentional), these tackles where you are more rewarded for wrestling with blokes and wait for a mate to come in late at the legs to blow out knees....I feel many are having ALL these things in the same basket - it's not.
They are on the right track taking out direct head shots....the rest is what's frustrating fans imo...

Back in the 70's ... I think it may have either been Arko or Gibson that said the game of Rugby League has always thrived on controversy ... and nothing gets the punters more activated than a good old fashioned send off ...

I remember games where we had a player send off and because of 3 injuries and only 2 reserves finished the last 10 minutes with only 11 players .. and held on to win ... that is the stuff of legends and what the game was built on ....

A hard earnt draw against a better team, or over-coming adversity and crook ref's was a matter of pride ... this game management to ensure a vanilla essence where nobody is sent off so as not to upset anybody is an artificial opiate that dulls the passion .. of both outrage and joy ...
Thing is these days it is essentially a product and to be marketed and presented as a salable and in favour commodity . Doesn "t appeal to everyone but every other sporting code is or has to adapt to this ethos [ in essence business ] Club passion and attachment can still be as strong as ever , just a different over arching theme associated with the game now .

The nrl are protecting themselves against any massive legal suits around players suffering brain damage. A big enough case could financially kill the game.

Same as when they banned the shoulder charge (personally I enjoyed someone putting on a great shoulder charge without hitting the other players head but the nrl deemed it an all or nothing situation)

Can’t see them going back on the latest rules any time soon so we are all going to have to get used to it

I actually agree with binning a player for foul play/headshots as the team who suffers the injury actually gets some benefit out of the situation, as opposed to the team who play the the team at fault the following week(s)
Can see where you are coming from with some of your points but not the shoulder charge , especially with the bigger , fitter bodies of recent eras , sad to say it has actually resulted in at least one lethal outcome not so long ago .

Thing is these days it is essentially a product and to be marketed and presented as a salable and in favour commodity . Doesn "t appeal to everyone but every other sporting code is or has to adapt to this ethos [ in essence business ] Club passion and attachment can still be as strong as ever , just a different over arching theme associated with the game now .

Yes .. but is it correct ... people that jump aboard for simplistic reasons ... jump off again just as quick ... passion and controversy are forever ..

100% agree with the reasoning and necessity behind the crackdown ... I just happen to think that there is less a need for a change in tackling techniques than people are predicting, and a far bigger need to eliminate the brain exploders ... and from the stats I posted it would appear only 1 tackle in every 350 made is an issue needing dealing with ...

I reckon there's a heap of confusion with what is happening in the game....
Firstly I 100% agree with clamping down on direct head shots....the modern day game is not 1960's where anything go's and we can't become dinasours and neglect change when it comes to brain welfare and a sport we all love and want parents not afraid to let their kids play....however the ridiculous new rewind for penalties 4 tackles later, these blokes laying down for penalties, a bloke with the ball falling 1 foot off the ground and it's rated a high shot (no that's accidental contact - not intentional), these tackles where you are more rewarded for wrestling with blokes and wait for a mate to come in late at the legs to blow out knees....I feel many are having ALL these things in the same basket - it's not.
They are on the right track taking out direct head shots....the rest is what's frustrating fans imo...
Agreed. The players are so much bigger now. That massive wing behemoth - Eric Grothe Snr - was 92kg when he played in the 80s. However, common sense needs to prevail, and consistency is not overrated.

Policy on the run is never good when the corporate body who dictate it are renowned for being inconsistent in their governance.

Case in point - Teddy falls into a tackle against the Eels which resulted in this weekends crackdown. Teddy falls into a tackle again on the weekend and the Cowboys were denied any chance of victory. Teddy jogs off the field, Roosters receive a farcical free interchange, Teddy jogs back on smiling. It's farcical.

Keep it simple. See attached. I like it from Robbo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-110054_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518-110054_Facebook.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 23
The three send-offs were fine. None as bad as the Hetherington hit on Marty last year, and he didn't get sent off - the NRL had to fix this.

I have no problems with the 2 bronco sin-binnings - for both players it was their 2nd offence in the same game, and one was a headbutt.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7