The purge is on!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Unfortunately Mansauce isn’t a speedster either. If Garrick’s best attribute is his speed, we need to be looking elsewhere.

I know he's no longer a speedster (he did have good pace early on), but my point is that none of our other backs other than Turbo (and that includes Walks) would have caught him, and certainly not within 30 metres after giving him a 10 metre flying start.

Use Garrick's pace to our advantage rather than having it wasted by having him doing just doing kick returns and early tackle hit ups where he gets mauled by the defence, and its definitely an asset. Plus he's arguably the best goal kicker we currently have.

As for his defence ... sure its not great, but its not absolutely horrible either and one on one he is improving. And a lot of times he like our other wingers are on the harsh end of the up and in defence that leaves the flanks exposed to good passing or short kicking in behind which relies on the fullback being in place to clean up. When we used a sliding defence at times in 2019, it generally worked fairly well. But when we play up and in like we persisted with this year, we got burnt and often it was the wingers who copped the brunt of the criticism when it was more a structure fault than any certain players.

Last edited:
Yeah I see what you are saying.

I just fear that using Garrick’s speed to our advantage wouldn’t actually pay off, cause just about every other winger in the comp would be quicker than him.

TBH the only wingers I'd say who are genuinely faster are the likes of Addo-Carr, Johnston, Coates etc. He's definitely in the top 10 for wing speed in the NRL, we just hardly got to see it this year.

Problem is he rushes up and in and is often caught standing in front of Siro. The whole rushing up and in is a flawed tactic nowadays. Storm had Raiders beat all night last night cos Raiders persisted on rushing in.
You don't have to rush, but you sure as hell need to move up. I don't think DCE rushes, he moves up to try and shut the play down, but he also started to arm grab towards the end of the season which is not good enough.

Storm have the best defence, always seem to number up man on man and their whole back line can hold their own and the wingers are so fast at sliding and cover defending.

You watch the pressure they also put on the 5th tackle kick, sprinting out from marker. No player stops and ball watches either, always talking and keeping up with the play, they don't get lazy. It's great defence but a strong pack with ball movement can get them up the middle and once you make in roads with some good charges and off loads, then you have a chance to strip them out wide. Penrith have the players to do it

You don't have to rush, but you sure as hell need to move up. I don't think DCE rushes, he moves up to try and shut the play down, but he also started to arm grab towards the end of the season which is not good enough.

Storm have the best defence, always seem to number up man on man and their whole back line can hold their own and the wingers are so fast at sliding and cover defending.

You watch the pressure they also put on the 5th tackle kick, sprinting out from marker. No player stops and ball watches either, always talking and keeping up with the play, they don't get lazy. It's great defence but a strong pack with ball movement can get them up the middle and once you make in roads with some good charges and off loads, then you have a chance to strip them out wide. Penrith have the players to do it
The speed though of JAC, Vuna, Sonic and time a slightly lesser extent , Olam , is just incredible to see , even the slightest gap and they are away.

Brenko Lee is the only weaker spot and even he does a job!!

The speed though of JAC, Vuna, Sonic and time a slightly lesser extent , Olam , is just incredible to see , even the slightest gap and they are away.

Brenko Lee is the only weaker spot and even he does a job!!
Agree. If Penrith are a chance it will have to be through the middle first, then rely on their exciting outside backs. I would be targeting Lee. Raiders stripped them a few times but could not finish it off.

Tom plays 26 games we’ll be up there !!

Tom plays his expected 4 games and we’ll be in the hunt for our first spoon.

Sad but true !!

PS: this is based on the current squad with only the two additions , but as we know things can change.
If Tom gets another major injury next year then they need to medically retire him. We cannot afford to carry him any more.

If Tom gets another major injury next year then they need to medically retire him. We cannot afford to carry him any more.
You definitely cannot afford your second most expensive player to be sitting out most of every year in rehab.

As much as this is a make or break year for Hasler ( 2021) it’s equally so for Tom, if he does an ACL in game 1 and is out for the season then I would hate to be the people making the decisions because they might well have to !!

Gutho and Teddy missed large chunks of seasons previously and on a regular basis until things settled down on the injury front for them . Only one indication but Turbo seemed to be stretching right out and at top pace when he tried to run down that Titans back in his comeback match , so at least one good sign with this recovery . Nothing can be assumed but must be some reasonable chance that Turbo will experience some better outcomes on the injury front . Again , did not seem to have experienced much injury issue in his lower grade days and early N R L career so hopefully the recent couple of seasons will just be an abberation

So with the addition of Davey and Foz.
Possible signings of Garner, Saab and Schneider there is probably not much more to look forward to unless we offload someone on decent coin.
With Roosters trying to offload Flanagan maybe they won't have to squeeze Tupouniua out anymore??? If not Tupouniua, I reckon we are still a prop short.
Then a decision to be made around Hoppa, keep him? Or sign someone else?
Surely Flanagan was on a very modest contract. 300k tops I'd think. When they bring Walker into his spot (if that is what they do), he won't be on much less than that. So I doubt it is doing much for their cap.

The issue is that Aubo is going, as is Sonny Bill. I can't see them letting go another backrower unfortunately unless the upgraded contracts to Keary and Tedesco kick in next year and cause more pressure to their cap that even the sombrero can hide.

Last edited:
Gutho and Teddy missed large chunks of seasons previously and on a regular basis until things settled down on the injury front for them . Only one indication but Turbo seemed to be stretching right out and at top pace when he tried to run down that Titans back in his comeback match , so at least one good sign with this recovery . Nothing can be assumed but must be some reasonable chance that Turbo will experience some better outcomes on the injury front . Again , did not seem to have experienced much injury issue in his lower grade days and early N R L career so hopefully the recent couple of seasons will just be an abberation
We all hope that’s true!!

Be positive mate.
If Tommy stayed fit this year we showed early on we could match it with the best of them.
Throw in the 10 weeks in a row of injuries to our backline and this season was a disaster in terms of continuity with combinations.

Foz is going to bring a real direction to our attack. Straightening. DCE and Walker both crab and this can kill our momentum. Foz is the king of straightening attack and taking his runners to the line.

Schuster will explode onto the scene - in a big way. Can’t wait to see him evolve.

Turbo has more tools to his arsenal than any other FB in the game. He’ll be primed to put 2020 behind him.

Suli/Walker back. Funa/Parker improving.

Burbo/Hoppa ready to push into the 17.

We will be a force in 2021. Just need some luck from the footy gods! And boy aren’t we due!
Hope u are right could not go through another season like we just had.

Hope u are right could not go through another season like we just had.

Theyre doing all they can this off season with Tommy mate. The strength in his hamstrings aren’t the issue - he actually has the strongest in the club. It’s his gait and running biomechanics that are being worked on, similar to Teddy who now has a very different style of running to early in his career.

Last edited:
Theyre doing all they can this off season with Tommy mate. The strength in his hamstrings aren’t they issue - he actually has the strongest in the club. It’s his gait and running biomechanics that are being worked on, similar to Teddy who now has a very different style of running to early in his career.

That's great news, and something that was pointed out here a couple of years ago.

If a few hacks on ST can work it out, wtf is the training and rehab personnel doing ?

Is there any chance we keep Garrick and also get Saab? Dragons were looking for a swap but now they have Jack Bird do they still need a swap? Or maybe they can have Hoppa? Thoughts...
Walker Suli
Saab Garrick
Turbo
Looks pretty strong back 5
Funa, Parker Harper and Burbo as depth.
*edit: I'd still move Garrick to the left wing

Is there any chance we keep Garrick and also get Saab? Dragons were looking for a swap but now they have Jack Bird do they still need a swap? Or maybe they can have Hoppa? Thoughts...
Walker Suli
Saab Garrick
Turbo

Garrick was hardly incredible for us this year but maybe that’s more to do with his inside service than him as a player.

Walker Suli
Saab Garrick
Turbo

The Dragons have signed Jack Bird ?

Really ?

Griffin doing Griffin things again, I suppose.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6