Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The purge is on!!

Ranga

This seems absolutely ridiculous... every half from every team would be on more than 400k bar maybe foran now, Flanagan and one or two rookies. Halves worth 800k and above.. Ash Taylor, keary (maybe it is roosters) Moses, Morgan, Norman, hunt, Johnson, Milford, dce, Pearce, Josh Reynolds, foran, Cleary, munster, probably cody walker. Then you have all the others like Dylan brown, luai, Hughes, croft, Dylan walker, green, adam reynolds, brooks etc. I'll save everyone's time by not rattling off the list of million dollar fullbacks. They must have only checked the roosters figures or more than likely not checked at all
That was my initial reaction too. But it is the average, so it will take into account the players who are on min wage but play those positions.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
This seems absolutely ridiculous... every half from every team would be on more than 400k bar maybe foran now, Flanagan and one or two rookies. Halves worth 800k and above.. Ash Taylor, keary (maybe it is roosters) Moses, Morgan, Norman, hunt, Johnson, Milford, dce, Pearce, Josh Reynolds, foran, Cleary, munster, probably cody walker. Then you have all the others like Dylan brown, luai, Hughes, croft, Dylan walker, green, adam reynolds, brooks etc. I'll save everyone's time by not rattling off the list of million dollar fullbacks. They must have only checked the roosters figures or more than likely not checked at all
I think the NRL have plucked that information out of the Roosters accountant’s arse because that would be so far off the mark it wouldn’t be funny !!

pjayz

Look into my eyes....
Didn't want to start a new thread and thought the following was best related to the #purge and particularly the consequential #splurge.

Fox have just published an article where they disclose what the average salary per position is. The most interesting stat being that hooker is the second lowest paid (on average) position across the comp.
I think that's because there are so many young guys playing the role and the top ones are the older crew. Smith is on $1M, Hodgson would be on a big packet, and Cook is on a reported $4.5M over 5 years.

Last edited:

Jabuh

That was my initial reaction too. But it is the average, so it will take into account the players who are on min wage but play those positions.
Yeah true good point I guess if they're counting depth all the way through the squad. What do we think our halves are worth based on 2020?
My probably wrong estimations are
Dce - 1.25
Walker - 450k
Cust - 350ish
Croker - 300
Schuster - 350ish
Metcalf??
Even conservatively we are around the 2.5 mil plus mark without Metcalf so about 500k average and we are overly invested in dce. Add foran on unders for next year but increase walkers salary by the 200k its reportedly supposed to go up by and it's probably pretty similar.
On the whole, I think I may stand corrected...

Shoe1

Averages don't tell the story - at any given club there is 1 half on 1M, 1 back up half on 380, and a third one in the top 30 on 180 - lo and behold the average is 500k!!!

Look in the article at the number of players in the position per club, that tells the story.

It is an article that is aimed at people with low numeracy skills.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Averages don't tell the story - at any given club there is 1 half on 1M, 1 back up half on 380, and a third one in the top 30 on 180 - lo and behold the average is 500k!!!

Look in the article at the number of players in the position per club, that tells the story.

It is an article that is aimed at people with low numeracy skills.
Yes it is averages at each club which is meaningless it should be averages of each designated fullback for each club divided by 16!!

Mataiforerver

Did you miss the part where I said Suli would still be on the injured list? Its the same injury that kept him out of the last few rounds of this year that is expected to keep him sidelined for the first few weeks of 2021.

If he wasn't injured then yes he would likely be there ahead of Parker.
Ah apologies mate my bad. Rushed the read, tough to get through all the posts in detail when catching up.

Mataiforerver

It would be because every team has a backup halfback on bottom contract (think 105k - 200k).

HoldenV8

SEA EAGLES

2020 squad: Morgan Boyle (2021), Daly Cherry-Evans (2023), Lachlan Croker (2021), Cade Cust (2022), Kieran Foran (2021), Manase Fainu (2023), Addin Fonua-Blake (2022), Tevita Funa (2021), Reuben Garrick (2021), Jack Gosiewski (2021), Morgan Harper (2022), Albert Hopoate (2020), Sean Keppie (2023), Luke Metcalf (2020), Haumole Olakau’ata (2021, CO 22), Brad Parker (2021), Taniela Paseka (2021), Josh Schuster (2021), Toafofoa Sipley (2021), Curtis Sironen (2021), Samuel Smith (2020), Moses Suli (2020), Jorge Taufua (2021), Martin Taupau (2022), Jake Trbojevic (2026), Tom Trbojevic (2026), Dylan Walker (2021)

2021 gains: Kieran Foran (from Bulldogs until 2021), Andrew Davey (from Eels until 2022)

2021 losses: Joel Thompson (St Helens), Corey Waddell (Bulldogs), Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors), Danny Levi, Brendan Elliott, Tony Williams (all unsigned)

Coach: Des Hasler (2021)

Last edited:

Harry Smith

SEA EAGLES

2020 squad: Morgan Boyle (2021), Daly Cherry-Evans (2023), Lachlan Croker (2021), Cade Cust (2022), Kieran Foran (2021), Manase Fainu (2023), Addin Fonua-Blake (2022), Tevita Funa (2021), Reuben Garrick (2021), Jack Gosiewski (2021), Morgan Harper (2022), Albert Hopoate (2020), Sean Keppie (2023), Luke Metcalf (2020), Haumole Olakau’ata (2021, CO 22), Brad Parker (2021), Taniela Paseka (2021), Josh Schuster (2021), Toafofoa Sipley (2021), Curtis Sironen (2021), Samuel Smith (2020), Moses Suli (2020), Jorge Taufua (2021), Martin Taupau (2022), Jake Trbojevic (2026), Tom Trbojevic (2026), Dylan Walker (2021)

2021 gains: Kieran Foran (from Bulldogs until 2021), Andrew Davey (from Eels until 2022)

2021 losses: Joel Thompson (St Helens), Corey Waddell (Bulldogs), Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors), Danny Levi, Brendan Elliott, Tony Williams (all unsigned)

Coach: Des Hasler (2021)

According to that, Albert Hopoate, Luke Metcalf, Samuel Smith and Moses Suli are going to be off contract at the end of this season.
I'm glad Morgan Boyle signing with the dogs was a misunderstanding. Probably a little against popular opinion I still think he is a solid forward with some potential.Always seems to try hard and has a great performance or two in him every now and then. Didn't get many chances this year but I think he still is worth keeping.

Also, Sam Smith was released mid-season.

Ron E. Gibbs

I also think that the club should try to re-purpose Jorge as a forward -- even as a prop. It has been achieved successfully before.
Yeah, like Paul "Steppa" Stephenson. Oh, wait - you said "successfully"…

Disco

Lino, Jacks, Croker Hutchinson, Field, Williams, Cogger, Wakeham, Gamble, O'Sullivan, Clune, Keighran etc etc etc

HoldenV8

I was thinking of Ruben Wiki. He started out as a winger and centre for Canberra and ended up a champion prop for the Worriors and NZ.
You're really going to compare Jorge to Ruben Wiki?

I know he never played for Manly, but if Wiki was in his prime today and whichever club he was at offered him to us because they wanted Jorge ... I'd help Jorge pack.

Back in the 90s, Ruben Wiki was one of the very few Kiwi test players who would have just about been a walk up start for a Kangaroos spot if he was eligible. Jorge is lucky to be a walk up start in a club team that finished 13th out of 16.

For mine, Jorge Taufua is far too lazy to be a forward and frankly I'd question his fitness even coming off the bench as a back rower. Hell, half the time he's too lazy to even be a winger.

Last edited:

HoldenV8

Don't get me wrong at all about Jorge, I do like him and over the years he has been a handy player for us who does know how to score tries. But the reality is that these days he is more a liability than an asset.

I could go on and on about why I think he's a liability, even almost out of sight out on the wing, but I think most here already know why. His deficiencies in things like pace, handling, urgency and defence are well documented in these pages.

TBH if Jorge was going to be converted into being a forward, it should have happened 5 years ago. That ship has now sailed IMO.

In a way he's kinda like Chris Close was to us back in 1987. A good player in his time, but that time had caught up to him and his best days were but a memory.

Nordburg

Don't get me wrong at all about Jorge, I do like him and over the years he has been a handy player for us who does know how to score tries. But the reality is that these days he is more a liability than an asset.

I could go on and on about why I think he's a liability, even almost out of sight out on the wing, but I think most here already know why. His deficiencies in things like pace, handling, urgency and defence are well documented in these pages.

TBH if Jorge was going to be converted into being a forward, it should have happened 5 years ago. That ship has now sailed IMO.

In a way he's kinda like Chris Close was to us back in 1987. A good player in his time, but that time had caught up to him and his best days were but a memory.
It’s probably been noticeable for a few seasons but it really hit home last night watching the Storms wingers,JAC and Vunivalu,that exceptionally fast wingers are just as valuable in defence as they are in attack.The Storm outside backs were caught out a couple of times last night,obviously not to the extent that Manly’s does(especially when DCE rushes up)but the centres and wingers are so fast that any advantage the Raiders had, disappeared very quickly

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20