The pride jersey round.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please tell us who said "they don't want gays in the game" ...
I had a reply ready, but I realized it was far too Jimmy Carr in nature to post. Casual shocking attempt at humor, if you will.

So I won't.

But it did involve the word, 'backline'.

Am i being naive here, but cant they play in the jersey and then do confession. If murderers and rapists , and kiddy fiddlers can get last rights and go to heaven then surely some compassion to a group that has had to endured too much bigoted behaviour for too long , and then a full time confessional could balance the scales somewhat. thats how it was when i last cared.

everyone has rights, but how and when we exercise them and how they impact others is as important as the right itself. the ability to use compassion and understanding for others despite your beliefs is surely not a sin. But shows someone comfortable with there intentions and decisions.

Would jesus have stood down from the footy due to the stripes and what they stood for . I think not. You dont need a blueprint or instruction guide to get to heaven , you need compassion, love and understanding. I always thought that was the message anyway

maybe the nrl should do a round for victims of the churches. Be interesting how that went over. Would faith based players support that. Serious question .

im sure a PR based decision would be made, rather than faith. Just my opinion based on my life .

I would like to see a round dedicated to the heroes of the region. We could trot out SLSers and Robert Dunn (if he was still with us) or something. Marine Rescue. Real estate agents who, out of the kindness of their own heart, constantly increase my net worth.

Or maybe just a round of footy??

That’s the spirit! Utilise all that righteous intolerance and resentment as you’re cause is no doubt the most just! Btw don’t forget the pitchforks!
Righteous intolerance fights righteous intolerance, on one side there's a possible supernatural entity who has allowed the people to exist without the choice of they're own sexuality who are in the most at risk of the mortal sin of suicide, congratulations by the way your problem occasionally fixes itself

On the other side there's a group of people who accept these people who may be viewed as unfortunate as nobody picks they're sexuality, they're both this way, this side wants them to feel human, to feel accepted, to feel part of this world in a way

But here's the kicker, THE JERSEY ITSELF WAS TO INCLUDE EVERYONE, DISABLED, OF ALL RACES AND SEXUALITIES, OF ALL RELIGIONS OR OF NONE, IT WAS NOT A GAY PRIDE JERSEY, it was to include EVERYONE, I suppose even the bigots who refused to wear it, in the spirit of inclusivity

Also it sold like hotcakes, even sold out before the game for the first time ever if I'm correct on that small fact

So there's that

This is one of the better articles I have read on how badly the Manly club actually handled Jerseygate/Rainbowgate. I didn't actually read it at the time, but I am sure many on here (from all sides of the equation) will find it interesting.

Can you please tell us who said "they don't want gays in the game" ...

Looks like you are again just making shiite up to try to justify yourself ...
Sounds like a poll question Woodsie. That could put the cat amongst the pigeons. JUST KIDDING - don't do a poll question!

This is one of the better articles I have read on how badly the Manly club actually handled Jerseygate/Rainbowgate. I didn't actually read it at the time, but I am sure many on here (from all sides of the equation) will find it interesting.
"However, the fact that LGBTQIA+ issues are, in Cherry-Evans's words, "not a topic of conversation" in the club's daily working environment, as well as the past week's controversy around a rainbow jersey, has served as a reminder of the multiple cultural barriers still faced by queer male players in the sport, it is clear that more still needs to be done."

New mandated training at Manly - every day of 2023 - as they've now read the ABC's article.

"Guys, we need to talk - about LGBTQIA+ issues"

"What - again?"

"Yes - it's very important. Every day! How else are we going to understand the issues that the LGBTQIA+ community faces?"

Silence. Then -

"Ummm - not one of the playing group identifies as gay.......and we haven't yet addressed our ruck defense, line speed, and errors".

"Yeah - we'd actually like to win more games this year!"

"We don't have time for it....."

Silence again. Then -

"Come on Reuben - are you telling me that you don't have time to think about LGBTQIA+ issues while you're lining up to kick a goal? It takes you long enough....."

"And Jake - it takes you long enough to get off the players you tackle - plenty of time to think about homophobic discrimination before you make the next tackle......."

"And you seven nervously edging out the door - I want you to imagine that those opposition players you're about to tackle need to be treated kindly, as they may have personal issues they are facing....."

"There - are we done? Same time tomorrow!"

Together - "yes, coach, we're 'done' this year......"

Righteous intolerance fights righteous intolerance, on one side there's a possible supernatural entity who has allowed the people to exist without the choice of they're own sexuality who are in the most at risk of the mortal sin of suicide, congratulations by the way your problem occasionally fixes itself

On the other side there's a group of people who accept these people who may be viewed as unfortunate as nobody picks they're sexuality, they're both this way, this side wants them to feel human, to feel accepted, to feel part of this world in a way

But here's the kicker, THE JERSEY ITSELF WAS TO INCLUDE EVERYONE, DISABLED, OF ALL RACES AND SEXUALITIES, OF ALL RELIGIONS OR OF NONE, IT WAS NOT A GAY PRIDE JERSEY, it was to include EVERYONE, I suppose even the bigots who refused to wear it, in the spirit of inclusivity

Also it sold like hotcakes, even sold out before the game for the first time ever if I'm correct on that small fact

So there's that
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don’t understand seriously how or why anyone would want to align possible suicide on a footy player’s decision on whether they wear a footy jersey or not. To imply that kind of responsibility on to a footy player does not seem right to me.

THE JERSEY ITSELF WAS TO INCLUDE EVERYONE, DISABLED, OF ALL RACES AND SEXUALITIES, OF ALL RELIGIONS OR OF NONE, IT WAS NOT A GAY PRIDE JERSEY, it was to include EVERYONE,
Below are examples of genuine inclusivity logos. If this type of logo was incorporated into a jersey, I doubt there would any roadblocks. Effectively, this would be a more skilful approach for the NRL to take (IMO).

inclusive 1.jpg

incluslivity 2.jpg

It does seem to sum things up pretty well. I want to believe Penn had more than a token gesture in mind but things surely went south. It does still floor me that it wasn't (if it wasn't) discussed with the playing group first. Having said that, I'm not convinced it would have made any difference with the 7 - but I suppose it just depends how it was "sold" to people. At the risk of butchering the adage - everyone is considered equal, it's just that some are more equal than others. So players could have gotten behind an "all inclusive" jumper rather one that was, rightly or wrongly, considered a "gay pride" jumper if they so chose. Maybe they would have devised some kind of rating system of inclusiveness in their heads to justify wearing it. But now I'm just being silly. I guess we just won't know until an actual "inclusive" round happens. That will be interesting.

Thank you @Eagles4Life.

I would consider this to be the definitive article on the pride jersey issue. It comprehensively covers all angles.

I recommend it as essential reading for all Silvertails.

"However, the fact that LGBTQIA+ issues are, in Cherry-Evans's words, "not a topic of conversation" in the club's daily working environment, as well as the past week's controversy around a rainbow jersey, has served as a reminder of the multiple cultural barriers still faced by queer male players in the sport, it is clear that more still needs to be done."

New mandated training at Manly - every day of 2023 - as they've now read the ABC's article.

"What - again?"

"Yes - it's very important. Every day! How else are we going to understand the issues that the LGBTQIA+ community faces?"

Silence. Then -

"Ummm - not one of the playing group identifies as gay.......and we haven't yet addressed our ruck defense, line speed, and errors".

Silence again. Then -

"Come on Reuben - are you telling me that you don't have time to think about LGBTQIA+ issues while you're lining up to kick a goal? It takes you long enough....."

"And Jake - it takes you long enough to get off the players you tackle - plenty of time to think about homophobic discrimination before you make the next tackle......."

"And you seven nervously edging out the door - I want you to imagine that those opposition players you're about to tackle need to be treated kindly, as they may have personal issues they are facing....."

Pretty funny actually mate. I'm not that "woke" that I can't see the humour in your take on the article.

"What - again?"

Silence. Then -

Silence again. Then -

Hoppa was way ahead of his time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4