The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So you're saying because you were pulled up, you never did anything wrong or made wrong decisions after you were 21.

Why oh why ... do people on this forum continually take a comment ... interpret it ... and then tell the writer what he is saying .... note ... I never said anything of the sort. ... please.

No one questions criticisms that are constructive as long as we remember the old saying 'Before you take the sliver out of someone else's eye, ensure you take the log out of your own'. And ' Let who who is without sin cast the first stone'. Then there's one about glass houses. Healthy criticism comes from those who personally know the individual who is seen as erring, and are concerned for their welfare. Your friend no doubt did that knowing you. We dont know Schuster or what is happening to him, so how can we know what is healthy criticism?

This is a football forum bear ... players performances get critiqued ... and unlike the emotional 2 year old ferals on game day ... I do not abuse players or call for players to be pissed off ... punted .. or call them shiitehouse ...

In just about every post about Shu that I have made ... I have acknowledged his talent and potential ... and been fairly specific in those areas that I believe he has to improve. ...

And we don't have to know Shu ... we are not the ones he is talking to ... you do realise that ?

Good grief Bear ... glass houses, without sin, casting stones, concern for welfare ....

You need to relax mate ...

Why oh why ... do people on this forum continually take a comment ... interpret it ... and then tell the writer what he is saying .... note ... I never said anything of the sort. ... please.

This is a football forum bear ... players performances get critiqued ... and unlike the emotional 2 year old ferals on game day ... I do not abuse players or call for players to be pissed off ... punted .. or call them shiitehouse ...

In just about every post about Shu that I have made ... I have acknowledged his talent and potential ... and been fairly specific in those areas that I believe he has to improve. ...

And we don't have to know Shu ... we are not the ones he is talking to ... you do realise that ?

Good grief Bear ... glass houses, without sin, casting stones, concern for welfare ....

You need to relax mate ...

The purpose of my comment was to suggest we step back and ask what these forums are about. If I'm here to discuss football, to compare talents, to comment on performance in respect of the game I have no problem. However when we start first of all asuming that we know what a person needs in their personal life, a person we dont know, only read about (often from journos who just write stories to titilate) and watch, dissecting their lives and believing we know what they are going through and what we believe they should do (and of course they will probably never read what we say anyway), I just think its perhaps crossing the line, no matter the good intent that may be there..

I remember learning a very good lesson a few decades ago, one that I knew intuitively but needed to be reminded about. One of my past roles was as an anger management group facilitator. Each time having about fifteen individuals who had been convicted of an offence involving violent reactions to situations. I recall going through the process and discussing individual reactions with them etc. Then one said 'Ron (that's my real name), the problem is you dont live the kind of life I live and the things I face.' He was right and I said so. I dont know the very different journey he had travelled. I can speak of strategies, but even though I knew the fellow reasonably well through my association with him, I really had no idea of the day to day life he had experienced that had led him to this point. What I learned was giving advice is fraught with danger because you are imposing your own values. The answer lies within them and generally they already know what they need to do. The trick is just drawing it out of them and having them face what they know is their reality.

The purpose of my comment was to suggest we step back and ask what these forums are about. If I'm here to discuss football, to compare talents, to comment on performance in respect of the game I have no problem. However when we start first of all asuming that we know what a person needs in their personal life, a person we dont know, only read about (often from journos who just write stories to titilate) and watch, dissecting their lives and believing we know what they are going through and what we believe they should do (and of course they will probably never read what we say anyway), I just think its perhaps crossing the line, no matter the good intent that may be there..

I remember learning a very good lesson a few decades ago, one that I knew intuitively but needed to be reminded about. One of my past roles was as an anger management group facilitator. Each time having about fifteen individuals who had been convicted of an offence involving violent reactions to situations. I recall going through the process and discussing individual reactions with them etc. Then one said 'Ron (that's my real name), the problem is you dont live the kind of life I live and the things I face.' He was right and I said so. I dont know the very different journey he had travelled. I can speak of strategies, but even though I knew the fellow reasonably well through my association with him, I really had no idea of the day to day life he had experienced that had led him to this point. What I learned was giving advice is fraught with danger because you are imposing your own values. The answer lies within them and generally they already know what they need to do. The trick is just drawing it out of them and having them face what they know is their reality.

Please Bear ... my interest in the Shu is restricted to whether his option taking has matured ...

The Schu seems pretty determined this year from all the accounts. If he plays with the determination he did against Parramatta after the passing of the great Bob Fulton he will be a superstar. I also suspect he will be more resilient to injury if he is more fit. Carrying the extra weight to play in the forwards and eating the extra carbs to maintain it likely did him little favours….

Please Bear ... my interest in the Shu is restricted to whether his option taking has matured ...

OK. So he is a product. That's logical. His talent serves a purpose for the effectiveness of the team. If he doesnt meet the target, then he loses his position. All I'm saying is that his personal issues are really none of our business. Nothing we say makes a difference. If he has personal issues he has to sort them out himself and no doubt has support people around him to help him tackle any issues causing him problems. He either deals with them or he doesnt. Our concern is about football and skills and performance of the gladiators on the field. Discussing how he should deal with his personal issues is like peeing in the wind.

OK. So he is a product. That's logical. His talent serves a purpose for the effectiveness of the team. If he doesnt meet the target, then he loses his position. All I'm saying is that his personal issues are really none of our business. Nothing we say makes a difference. If he has personal issues he has to sort them out himself and no doubt has support people around him to help him tackle any issues causing him problems. He either deals with them or he doesnt. Our concern is about football and skills and performance of the gladiators on the field. Discussing how he should deal with his personal issues is like peeing in the wind.
One thing for sure is we will know soon enough if he's up to the halves or not. I suspect he will do a reasonable job. I don't think he's the messiah many think he is but if he keeps the pork off he will probably earn a pass mark. Good luck to him.

In 1986 Manly signed a young player who had been at a couple of Sydney clubs, back to country footy, then back to Sydney. While predominantly a 5/8 he played mostly in the forwards in '86 due to injuries and having more established 5/8. Sound familiar? When he got his chance the following year at 5/8, while a bit inconsistent, he showed some absolute brilliance. The end result for this young man was a premiership and a Clive Churchill Medal. He would go on to have an illustrious career, although inconsistency continued to be an issue until his later years

His name was Cliff Lyons.

I see a lot of Cliffy in Schuster. Plays eyes up, off the cuff footy. It won't always work out, but it will always be hard to defend. He was asked to bulk up to play a position he wasn't used to, he did it. He's now been asked to slim down, by all reports he's done it. Don't underestimate the commitment it takes to do that.

Let's judge him on his results but also give him the leniency to make mistakes, as he will. But I'm tipping he'll learn from those mistakes and improve. He just strikes me someone who has that discipline. Also don't forget he gave up the run Samoa had this year to commit to being the best he can be for Manly.

He deserves us to get around him.

Last edited:
In 1986 Manly signed a young player who had been at a couple of Sydney clubs, back to country footy, then back to Sydney. While predominantly a 5/8 he played mostly in the forwards in '86 due to injuries and having more established 5/8. Sound familiar? When he got his chance the following year at 5/8, while a bit inconsistent, he showed some absolute brilliance. The end result for this young man was a premiership and a Clive Churchill Medal. He would go on to have an illustrious career, although inconsistency continued to be an issue until his later years

His name was Cliff Lyons.

I see a lot of Cliffy in Schuster. Plays eyes up, off the cuff footy. It won't always work out, but it will always be hard to defend. He was asked to bulk up to play a position he wasn't used to, he did it. He's now been asked to slim down, by all reports he's done it. Don't underestimate the commitment it takes to do that.

Let's judge him on his results but also give him the leniency to make mistakes, as he will. But I'm tipping he'll learn from those mistakes and improve. He just strikes me someone who has that discipline. Also don't forget he gave up the run Samoa had this year to commit to being the best he can be for Manly.

He deserves us to get around him.
He may be similar to Cliffy but just who will be the Beaver. Let's face it Cliffy wouldn't have had half the career if he didn't have the Beaver finishing off his moves.

He may be similar to Cliffy but just who will be the Beaver. Let's face it Cliffy wouldn't have had half the career if he didn't have the Beaver finishing off his moves.

Good point and they certainly functioned very well together. But Cliffy wasnt just about Beaver. He set up so many other plays with his magic. Would be good if someone comes along to play that role. Burbo did it at times in the juniors with Schuster. But similarly Schuster was much more than his clever plays with Burbo

Good point and they certainly functioned very well together. But Cliffy wasnt just about Beaver. He set up so many other plays with his magic. Would be good if someone comes along to play that role. Burbo did it at times in the juniors with Schuster. But similarly Schuster was much more than his clever plays with Burbo
In a touch footy match I was marking beaver, and cliffy switched the play and hit nevin cutting back at an angle. He was within arm reach of me but I didn’t even react.

Not sure that Josh was instructed to put or try to put on more weight during his back row stint in 2021 . Just seemed to coincide with a bit of ill discipline and mainly in the diet area particularly towards the end of that season . Doubt if it was just more then a bit of speculation with a bit of concern on his outlook from a couple of the senior playing group during this time also . Then his terrible run or repetitive injuries for a good part of last season to exasperate matters , bigger body weight a real negative then . Seems to be doing everything right to prepare and take on the very important role in the halves and heaps of credit his way again for his progress and attitude there . Also not too sure with the comparisons with Cliffy , different era , largely different playing styles . No doubt that he has[ and always seemed to ] the touch of some brilliant heads up type of footy , and a bit pf a power game to offer as well . Will have to be able to focus for the full 80 and for the right plays however , defensively shouldn 't have any particular issues . Indications that Weekes will be given a run at 6 also in the trials and probably happening at training drills now . Josh naturally i st cab of the rank at 6 , probably more then capable of playing a Giffty type of 13 role if it has to come to it but naturally trying to make the 6 his playing position right now and deserves every opportunity to make it happen

In a touch footy match I was marking beaver, and cliffy switched the play and hit nevin cutting back at an angle. He was within arm reach of me but I didn’t even react.
Come on , where was that one percentage extra effort . and so much on the line i am sure

Also with someone like Cliffy or the Schu you just have to follow them into some space and they will in most cases they get you the ball ,Cliffy did that countless times, and I am looking forward to the Schu continuing the tradition

Also with someone like Cliffy or the Schu you just have to follow them into some space and they will in most cases they get you the ball ,Cliffy did that countless times, and I am looking forward to the Schu continuing the tradition

Most important aspect of their game is soft hands. Their clever passes float, almost sit in the air, and therefore are easier to catch

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4