The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He's still young. Halves mature at 24-25. He will learn and get better. Just have to let him make his mistakes.

Agree mate, been watching young halves for 60 years ... but he is just short of 22 and with 35 1st grade appearances under his belt ... he is no longer a rookie ... if his brain doesn't start working now ... we are doomed!

I am confident he will cop a tip ... and become the player we want and need.

EDit ... as far as letting him make his mistakes ... that's why we have coaches ... to knock that shiite out of them .... playing !st grade is about developing your strengths and skills ... whilst eliminating or minimising your faults and weak points .... it's about becoming a better and more consistent footballer.

Last edited:
My sense is that Seibs is on the same page as you. He talks as though impressed with his talent but is very cautious about committing, let alone waxing lyrical.

Yeah, His comments have been interesting ... very measured ... I think he knows what he's got ... still thinking about how to process and mange it ...

Agree mate, been watching young halves for 60 years ... but he is just short of 22 and with 35 1st grade appearances under his belt
However, he has played less than four games in the halves. His 2020 NRL debut in this position was promising, but unfortunately, he didn't finish the match after suffering a season ending ankle injury. He was very impressive in his next game as six in an emphatic win against the Eels in 2021. He played two games as six in 2022 - winning both. So statistically, every full match he's played as six has been a win for the Sea Eagles.

However, he has played less than four games in the halves. His 2020 NRL debut in this position was promising, but unfortunately, he didn't finish the match after suffering a season ending ankle injury. He was very impressive in his next game as six in an emphatic win against the Eels in 2021. He played two games as six in 2022 - winning both. So statistically, every full match he's played as six has been a win for the Sea Eagles.

Are you saying he was the sole reason for those wins ? ...

He did some good things during those games ... but was also lazy in defence and made a fair few errors ... he has been a box of chocolates from day one ....

It is okay to marvel at his skills ... but negligent to ignore any weaknesses ..

He did some good things during those games ... but was also lazy in defence and made a fair few errors .
I am saying that he has had very few opportunities to play at six. When he has the opportunity, he has made a good fist of it. Except for his first game as six (couple of misdirected kicks), I don't remember too many errors in the others.

If he remains injury free, I expect Schuster to be one of our most valuable players in the upcoming season & beyond. I also expect the new coaching team to elevate his game to new levels of consistency. He is a great ball player and as players learn to properly run off him, I think try assists will naturally accumulate.

I am saying that he has had very few opportunities to play at six. When he has the opportunity, he has made a good fist of it. Except for his first game as six (couple of misdirected kicks), I don't remember too many errors in the others.

When he played 5/8, he went ok, did some good things ... and was also lazy in defence, poor in kick chase, performed some stupid tap ons and no look passes ... but showed the type of player he could be with some discipline. ... but in the end he couldn't compete with an aged Foran, held together by duct tape and hope, in enthusiasm, comittment or execution ....

If he remains injury free, I expect Schuster to be one of our most valuable players in the upcoming season & beyond. I also expect the new coaching team to elevate his game to new levels of consistency.

Isn't this what I said ...

I don't remember too many errors in the others.

If he remains injury free, I expect Schuster to be one of our most valuable players in the upcoming season & beyond
He's made errors in pretty much every NRL game. The odd missed tackle but mostly throwing away possession a tad recklessly.
Nevertheless I agree that he should be one of our most valuable next year. His talent can be the difference between winning and losing, once he masters the basics. Probably just down to decision-making, and inexperience.

Agree mate, been watching young halves for 60 years ... but he is just short of 22 and with 35 1st grade appearances under his belt ... he is no longer a rookie ... if his brain doesn't start working now ... we are doomed!

I am confident he will cop a tip ... and become the player we want and need.

EDit ... as far as letting him make his mistakes ... that's why we have coaches ... to knock that shiite out of them .... playing !st grade is about developing your strengths and skills ... whilst eliminating or minimising your faults and weak points .... it's about becoming a better and more consistent footballer.
I think we have a more modern coach now who can work with these players more individually

I have never doubted the Shu's bag of talents, or physical ability .. (fitness aside) .. to get the job done. ... his reported training, and attitude adjustment seems to be on the path of correcting this part of his game.

My biggest concern has been his decision making, what I see as an over reliance on making the low percentage, highlight reel play ... these plays, the X factor brilliance, are match winners and a blessing to have ... but knowing when to pull the trigger, and when not to .. is the difference between a 1st grade star, and a juniors show pony. His first responsibility as a half, is to get the best out of the other 12 blokes on the field...

In this, I am encouraged by Seib's comments, that Flannagan is in his ear, and has mentioned that it is okay for him to look where he is passing, thank the Lord. His obsession with the no-look had become almost a treatable mental illness.

There is a hell of a lot riding on this kid's large shoulders .... in form and playing smart ... he has the ability to counter-balance any possible loss of Tommy ... I hope, and wish him well ... we need him.

I get your point Woodsie but his performance in 2021 as an 80 minute second rower with double the amount of tackles required of a 5/8 and yet be there as an attacking weapon, seemed to be very effective, despite it being his first year in first grade and in an unfamiliar position (he played most of his later junior games at 5/8). He's only played less than a hand full of games at 5/8 in the past two years. So its hard to be assessing him regarding his decision making for the role if he's hardly been there. Many seem to be cherry picking isolated errors he made and making them seem the norm. Certainly in 2022 he was off his game. But not so 2021.

He did some good things during those games ... but was also lazy in defence and made a fair few errors ... he has been a box of chocolates from day one ....

It is okay to marvel at his skills ... but negligent to ignore any weaknesses ..

Yes he was off his game as I said in 2022. But suggesting he was lazy in 2021, with the amount of responsibility on his shoulder, does not bear close scrutiny. He was an 80 minute second rower, third highest tackle rate and then expected to be an attacking weapon which he did well.

I get your point Woodsie but his performance in 2021 as an 80 minute second rower with double the amount of tackles required of a 5/8 and yet be there as an attacking weapon, seemed to be very effective, despite it being his first year in first grade and in an unfamiliar position (he played most of his later junior games at 5/8). He's only played less than a hand full of games at 5/8 in the past two years. So its hard to be assessing him regarding his decision making for the role if he's hardly been there. Many seem to be cherry picking isolated errors he made and making them seem the norm. Certainly in 2022 he was off his game. But not so 2021.

Fair dinkum Bear ... he needs less people singing his praises. YES .. he did good things hooray!
... but he also had flaws in his game ... flaws that there is no place in 1st grade for .... and people are not doing him any good, by being so precious that any criticism sees them making excuses for him.

He is a big boy and has been on this path since he was signed at 14 years old ... he is not a Cletus from the backwoods ... he has been in the Manly system for 7 years ...

Fortunately, he seems to be ignoring all the people blowing smoke up his arrse ... and doing something about it ... starting with his approach to fitness ... good on him, it will make a big difference ...

And I would bet London to a brick that Flannagan has used the words .. "taking the right option" 1000 times already in the short time they have been working together ...

It is exciting to see what this kid can do ... but arching up over the mildest criticism won't help the bloke ...

The game has changed a lot over the last few years ( think 6 again, less time off) and now we have a half who is a bit more new age.
Frankly I'm glad.

Fair dinkum Bear ... he needs less people singing his praises. YES .. he did good things hooray!
... but he also had flaws in his game ... flaws that there is no place in 1st grade for .... and people are not doing him any good, by being so precious that any criticism sees them making excuses for him.

He is a big boy and has been on this path since he was signed at 14 years old ... he is not a Cletus from the backwoods ... he has been in the Manly system for 7 years ...

Fortunately, he seems to be ignoring all the people blowing smoke up his arrse ... and doing something about it ... starting with his approach to fitness ... good on him, it will make a big difference ...

And I would bet London to a brick that Flannagan has used the words .. "taking the right option" 1000 times already in the short time they have been working together ...

It is exciting to see what this kid can do ... but arching up over the mildest criticism won't help the bloke ...

I've watched Koula, Olakau'atu, Paseka, Saab. All young all with big mistakes in their game but all with talent in abundance. Problem is we expect champions immediately as soon as they come into first grade. Rarely happens. Expecting champions in their first couple of years is unrealistic. That's why I was so annoyed when Manly let go Gutherson, Hynes etc. It takes players time to harden, perfect their skills, fit in with their team and the coaches expectations. Harder when you shift players out of positions they are used to playing. Schuster has a talent few have in the game. But playing first grade takes time to adapt, even when they have those exceptional skills. Much also depends upon the team around you. Hard to shine in a side near the basement.

ps. I dont praise players unless they deserve it. I said a long time back I dont care who they are off the field. I'm only interested in their skill on the field. I dont have favourites based on anything but skill and performance.

Guys like u woody blowing schiit up his arse certainly does not help.

How bout u zip it and wait til the season starts instead of your endless criticism of Shu.

Criticisms and excuses are great once the new season starts .Leave the past behind as there are a lot of things we do not know or understand on why they happened .All we know for next year is Josh is going to play in his favorite position then comparisons can be made .In my opinion , If he puts in the hard work at training ,he will contribute to the team more than he did in 2021 .
So bring on 2023 and can only hope for no or less injuries to the team .

Lets not forget the great majority of his 35 games were in the second row

He only played a couple at 5/8 including his debut when Benji Marshal labeled that performance as the best 5/8 debut he had ever seen and that premium performance was faultless !

Des stalled his 5/8 career and preferred Foran

Within 30 NRL 5/8 appearances the sensational Shu will turn into a Golden boot player

Last edited:
I've watched Koula, Olakau'atu, Paseka, Saab. All young all with big mistakes in their game but all with talent in abundance. Problem is we expect champions immediately as soon as they come into first grade. Rarely happens. Expecting champions in their first couple of years is unrealistic. That's why I was so annoyed when Manly let go Gutherson, Hynes etc. It takes players time to harden, perfect their skills, fit in with their team and the coaches expectations. Harder when you shift players out of positions they are used to playing. Schuster has a talent few have in the game. But playing first grade takes time to adapt, even when they have those exceptional skills. Much also depends upon the team around you. Hard to shine in a side near the basement.

ps. I dont praise players unless they deserve it. I said a long time back I dont care who they are off the field. I'm only interested in their skill on the field. I dont have favourites based on anything but skill and performance.

And at what point does any of that ... justify NOT criticising his weaknesses.

You are not doing him any favours continually making excuses .... and I am 100% certain Flannagan is NOT saying to him anything other than lift your game.

Any improvement in the Shu's performances this year will have zero to do with anything other than the complete attitude adjustment caused by his less than stellar 2022.

And credit to him, he appears to have understood the onus is on him to make it happen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6