The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As I suggested way back when Foran was signed from Canterbury, I feared that Schuster, who is obviously seen as a major prospect, would be tempted to play elsewhere if Manly didnt use him as 5/8. We may criticise him for this but from his point of view it would seem quite reasonable and logical if he knows he can play elsewhere in that position for probably big money. Business is business and we may feel annoyed over Froan and his agents apparent statements, but as a player, just as Foran did in leaving Manly years back, one has to look after one's own future. If Manly dont want him in that position I'm sure there are more than half a dozen teams that would jump in real quick. And truly we cant assess his performance at 5/8 until we see him play there. I've a sneaking suspicion that he lost his drive this year because of this very issue. If he fails to meet his potential in that position, then we can argue about his worth

That was Schuster's agent demanding NOT Schuster.
I suspect you are quite right Max. I don't know Schuster, but what I keep reading on these and other sites is that by nature Schuster is somewhat shy, though he is always available for fans after the game. Not the sort of characteristics one would suspect of selfishness and arrogance. I recall at least once when it was reported his agent expressed concerns that his client wasn't being given the chance to play his natural position, that Schuster was quick to pour water of that. His agent is doing what agents do and no doubt recognises he has a special player and also has personal vested interests to push his barrow, as he should.

The problem is we haven't seen Schuster play 5/8 over a protracted period in first grade. So to assess him as being unsuitable is not based on evidence but rather personal conjecture. Ask the question, would Foran succeed at second row? Some suggest DCE should play hooker. But his value is his individual brilliance and kicking game. Both would be stiffed as hooker so his value there would be questionable. Schuster played second row in the juniors, but it was as five eighth that his brilliance was identified. I recall one junior rep game when he was selected at second row. The team lost and Schuster was barely noticed.

The only answer is to give the kid the 5/8 role for next season and see how he develops. He may fail, but at least we will know then through evidence rather than through personal beliefs. Maybe Latu Fainu could be the answer. But until we see him in first grade we are really just dreaming of what ifs.

Yes I suspect Schuster's lost confidence and drive because I suspect he signed with Manly thinking he was to become Manly's 5/8 and I suspect Hasler led him to believe that as shown in some of his earlier comments almost 2 years back that described him as a 5/8. Of course Des is looking after his own interests and had developed a close tie with Foran, who he thought could reignite that old 2011 magic. But I have always felt Hasler gets stuck like an old record and finds it hard to move on (no disrespect for Foran as I've consistently said he has played well). So the issue is does Schuster trust Des to look after his interests. You can guess what I think has happened

He looked awesome as he flew through the air and landed on his ass after Fifita cannoned into him... absolute myth that is gonna screw us for years to come...
Bit harsh fs, this is Fafita's bread and butter play it's what he does best, but only does it 1or2 times in a game. He went through Ailoi as well, and took 3 players over the line with him to score. I'll back the myth to come really good in 23.

One of the few hopes I have for 2023 is The Shoe. He's had a horrible season but he has/had the talent to be a once-in-a-generation player. He must be given his chance at 5/8 next season. Turbo must stay fit and Guacca must continue to develop.
These three players are potentially our match winners. We need all three firing for the full season or else we'll continue our sad decline under the Pennmanship of Scotty and his family.

One of the few hopes I have for 2023 is The Shoe. He's had a horrible season but he has/had the talent to be a once-in-a-generation player. He must be given his chance at 5/8 next season. Turbo must stay fit and Guacca must continue to develop.
These three players are potentially our match winners. We need all three firing for the full season or else we'll continue our sad decline under the Pennmanship of Scotty and his family.

Amen to all of that.

Throw in Jake, Aloia, Garrick, Croker, Koula and DCE and we have a decent base to build on.

It's just the rest, about 15 players, that really aren't up to scratch.

Bit harsh fs, this is Fafita's bread and butter play it's what he does best, but only does it 1or2 times in a game. He went through Ailoi as well, and took 3 players over the line with him to score. I'll back the myth to come really good in 23.
Yeah but Aloiai isn't as 'big' as the Schu.... actually, fifita may not be either!

JA had a shocker... that was far from his only poor effort...

personally I can excuse the sandwich as he is just not a good defender at FB generally imo and is playing out of position for mine...

Yeah but Aloiai isn't as 'big' as the Schu.... actually, fifita may not be either!

JA had a shocker... that was far from his only poor effort...

personally I can excuse the sandwich as he is just not a good defender at FB generally imo and is playing out of position for mine...
Maybe you should start wearing glasses fs, Schusters a solid kid, but not as big as Aloiai, and Fafita is massive compared to Schuster..lol.

Maybe you should start wearing glasses fs, Schusters a solid kid, but not as big as Aloiai, and Fafita is massive compared to Schuster..lol.
At the end of the day, regardless of size, when you put your entire body in front of an opposition player and are completely steamrolled, you haven’t committed hard enough to the tackle. Sure, Fafita will breaks lots of tackles but they’re usually when he is in some sort of space and/or is tackled around the legs/waist.

To get a good solid front on shot and end up being trampled over was not first grade standard.

5 minutes later, Fafita was one on one near the line with plenty of space and Foran (the broken down old dinosaur) effected the tackle.

It was a case of if you don't laugh, you cry. What about the the one handed cross field run and the no look back handed flick pass when nobody was there ? It should be on replay on his bedroom TV from now until next season, if that's how much he values possession he aint no good to us !

I have come to the conclusion .. (and as you all know, my conclusions are always correct) ... that Schuster will always be a rocks and diamonds player ... he will eternally be the hero, and the mug, not only from week to week, but all in the same game.

His positives are his undoubted skills and X factor .. he can conjure a try or line break with a magical slight of hand ..

Negatives, I can't see him ever leading the kick chases like Foran, covering and mopping up in defence, or competing in all the 1%'ers that go towards an 80 min effort . Can the rest of the team cover for this?

His supporters will always gush and marvel at that one pass ... his detractors will always howl at the stupidity of that other pass ..

Can he become a complete competitor ... will he become more selective with his "brilliance" ... will he become that 80 min warrior we all love ... I hope so .. but can't see it happening without a major attitude change ...

Simply, his current style is not one that I admire ... I would love to see him increase his off the ball efforts, become less show pony and more hard work ... But I wish him luck .. he is too talented to have his potential wasted.

At the end of the day, regardless of size, when you put your entire body in front of an opposition player and are completely steamrolled, you haven’t committed hard enough to the tackle. Sure, Fafita will breaks lots of tackles but they’re usually when he is in some sort of space and/or is tackled around the legs/waist.

To get a good solid front on shot and end up being trampled over was not first grade standard.

5 minutes later, Fafita was one on one near the line with plenty of space and Foran (the broken down old dinosaur) effected the tackle.
Agree with all that Snake, was only disagreeing with the size comparisons made by Frank Stokes.

It was a case of if you don't laugh, you cry. What about the the one handed cross field run and the no look back handed flick pass when nobody was there ? It should be on replay on his bedroom TV from now until next season, if that's how much he values possession he aint no good to us !
I'm fine with Schuster doing a hail Mary in traffic, the games all ready been decided, different story if we needed to score from that play and the pass to find it's mark.

I have no idea what's been going on with Schuster.
I do know we were all excited for what he could do for us this year, then a training injury killed his chances to even get on the field for the first third of the comp.
I suspect he's also one of those people who only needs to think about food to put on weight.
He's got the weight off now and he must have worked hard to do it.
I've never seen him not try really hard for the win on the field. Sure, he makes some wrong decisions but he's a a kid who had been playing out of position for the majority of his time in the NRL and has even suffered the ignominy of having to sit on the bench for the majority of games or, worse, being picked as 18th man.
To my knowledge he has not complained publicly about this, only his manager has. All we've seen in public is a player who is very content to give the fans as much time as they want from him.
I really hope that he is getting confidence building from Des, because he seems despondent at times, and that he grabs the six jersey with both hands next year and wins the Dally M.
Come on Josh!!!!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8