The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
A back that does not have the speed or the ability in attack to break the defensive line and create tries is a liability to his team in the big close contests where big plays count

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I consider Jake one of our best forwards. Every pack needs a balance of tireless workers, dynamic hole runners and a ball player or two. Jake is a tireless defender who works very hard and rarely misses a tackle. He also carries the ball into the line frequently with quick play the ball giving us momentum. I like that sort of predictability which equates to reliability. Sure he doesn't off load often and I expect that is not part of the brief he receives from Des. Its academic where he packs into the scrum. However he works so hard he would benefit from is a breather and the rotation of front rowers would provide that. I reckon Jake is doing his job just fine. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Last edited:

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Sure, Jake isn't Cameron Murray, but Cameron Murray isn't Jake either. They both bring different things to a footy team in attack and defence.

Jake is the heart and soul of the Manly pack and has always been one of the first picked for NSW. Any team would be lucky to have him.

The Who

Journey Man
I consider Jake one of our best forwards. Every pack needs a balance of tireless workers, dynamic hole runners and a ball player or two. Jake is a tireless defender who works very hard and rarely misses a tackle. He also carries the ball into the line frequently with quick play the ball giving us momentum.
So is he actually coached to get tackled so that he can get up quickly and play the ball?
No wonder he never busts a tackle these days.

Shoe1

Journey Man
This is a true story and I can see why you would want to punch Tony in the face :)

Tony Robbins was giving lectures on how to have a happy relationship with your partner and how to over come and resolve relationship issues
and years later he got divorced him self .

Tony Robbins faces the same challenges in life as we all do
The moral of the story
It is not what we say
it is what we do that makes a difference to our lives

LET US ALL DO SOME THING TODAY TO MAKE A GREAT CHANGE TO OUR WORLD
View attachment 17897
The only advice I’d seek from Robbins is if I wanted to get whitened teeth that look completely fake. That is his area of expertise as far as I can tell.

I guess he is also good at making money from gullible crowds.

StuBoot

Bencher
So is he actually coached to get tackled so that he can get up quickly and play the ball?
No wonder he never busts a tackle these days.
There is a good argument for that.
I think Sticky was one of the first coaches to get his players to "submit" in the tackle - that way they could control the ruck speed.

By fighting in the tackle for an extra metre or two really only benefits the defensive team as they can get set for the next tackle.
That's why the refs came up with "surrender" and "dominant" calls.

How many times do we see the dummy half looking for the halfback only for a numbnut forward flop the ball out the back for a turnover?

It's a fine line for a player like Jake who can ball play but also engage the defence and get a quick play the ball.

Last edited:

eaglebuzz

Bencher
There is a good argument for that.
I think Sticky was one of the first coaches to get his players to "submit" in the tackle - that way they could control the ruck speed.

By fighting in the tackle for an extra metre or two really only benefits the defensive team as they can get set for the next tackle.
That's why the refs came up with "surrender" and "dominant" calls.

How many times do we see the dummy half looking for the halfback only for a numbnut forward flop the ball out the back for a turnover?

It's a fine line for a player like Jake who can ball play but also engage the defence and get a quick play the ball.
The down side of that is that he used to carry two tacklers an extra 10 meters almost every hitup. I haven't seen him do that in a long time.

Yeh he is a big unit but I bet most of it is muscle. But I remember Cliffy ran about in a seemingly unfit condition for years (so did Alan Thompson before him) but he had that quality that made him the ideal 5/8. As I see it, body proportions don't really matter if they don't affect your play. The important assets for a 5/8 in my opinion are the ability to set up your supports, defend well, position well, have strength, and have speed. I've watched him a while now and he has all those assets. To me he is already better than most other 5/8s in the comp with those qualities and he'll get better. He wasn't considered No 1 player a few years in succession in the junior comps for nothing. He is surprisingly fast for a big man. 5/8 is a link position most valuable for setting up the play and that is the primary skill something we missed after Green left. This kid is the sort who could intimidate opposition in that position, just like Wally Lewis did, who I consider the best player I've seen since I started watching in 1966.
In the semi professional era(poorly structured defences in general and smaller sized players) and even more recent the wrestle era(allowing defences to be more set and in your face) a little size at 5/8 was helpful in playing at or through the line or breaking tackles.

With the faster game and more open spacers you need some sharpness about your work to take "full" advantage of all possibilities and second phase play.

Schuster should be molding his game similar to Brad Fittler, for his time Fittler had size and played more like a ball playing lock who can play some 5/8 also.

AlxFromNthNarra

Rarely does big posts worth reading....maybe
The down side of that is that he used to carry two tacklers an extra 10 meters almost every hitup. I haven't seen him do that in a long time.
post-contact metres aren't what they used to be. Fast play-the-ball milking 6-agains has much bigger upside in today's game.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
I'd keep Schuster at backrow and start Cust at 5/8 to cover for Foz. Minimal disruption! Siro to bench
My issue with Cust is that when he started at 5/8 he always ran his outside players out of space and didn't seem to straighten the attack when he needed to.

Not fully against the idea... but he hasn't played in the halves for quite a while so I'm not sure how he'd go.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18