The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I keep on saying to give Schuster the 5/8 role next year then we can judge him on how he is performing .Nothing against Foran but he had a run in the last 2 years and the results have gone backwards .
True regarding Foran who has been better than DCE all season. But the same can be said about DCE so the club would be best to let him go also.

I keep on saying to give Schuster the 5/8 role next year then we can judge him on how he is performing .Nothing against Foran but he had a run in the last 2 years and the results have gone backwards .
I certainly don’t think you can blame Foran for us going backwards. In truth, I'd say he's been in our top 3. We all want Schuster to be a success but at this stage he's still got a few questions to answer.

Last edited:
If he has a big off season he should be in theory an improvement to the 5/8th spot providing he has a footy brain like kez. Why?
Bigger frame
More agile
More trick plays
Younger
I’m just not sure if the footy smarts and the will - this is what he needs to find along with fitness.

Mate ... you have hit the nail on the head .... my biggest concern over Schuster is not whether he has the talent ..BUT ...

Does his brain work? ... I am not certain it does.

PSS .. also not sure about his agility ...

Where’s the opportunities for players to show their wares and be coached to be better players? Infuriating.

Could it be possible that with all the asst coaches and Dessie working with him for the past 2 years ... playing with Foz ... and making over 30 1st grade appearances ... that he simply isn't doing what the coaches have asked of him ... could it be that he simply hasn't improved his game since his debut ...

That his dogged attachment to u/20's style football is resistant to change ?

What responsibility do you place on Schuster to refine his game ?

Really think there's exciting times ahead for us, can see Tommy chiming in on Schuster raids creating decoy or draw and pass plays for other players like Koula to use his undoubted speed and step to exploit and create havoc. Just need to have these players fit and ready to rumble come Rd 1 2023.

Could it be possible that with all the asst coaches and Dessie working with him for the past 2 years ... playing with Foz ... and making over 30 1st grade appearances ... that he simply isn't doing what the coaches have asked of him ... could it be that he simply hasn't improved his game since his debut ...

That his dogged attachment to u/20's style football is resistant to change ?

What responsibility do you place on Schuster to refine his game ?
Well said , we all including me jump on coaches etc but the players themselves have a huge responsibility to keep fit and healthy etc. etc. , the staff cant do that for them and Shu looks like he spends a lot of time at KFC.

Well said , we all including me jump on coaches etc but the players themselves have a huge responsibility to keep fit and healthy etc. etc. , the staff cant do that for them and Shu looks like he spends a lot of time at KFC.
Might agree with you on the KFC bit but let's wait what 2023 brings then discuss it on here .Agreed with some on here suggesting that Foran was our best in 2022 but , at the end of the day ,we have gone backwards .

Might agree with you on the KFC bit but let's wait what 2023 brings then discuss it on here .Agreed with some on here suggesting that Foran was our best in 2022 but , at the end of the day ,we have gone backwards .

Mate .. love your support of the Shu .. I think we all want Schuster to be the next messiah.. but that doesn't mean we should be blind to any real, or perceived shortcomings.

Also, agree Foz is at the end of his career, but that also doesn't mean the Shu is necessarily the best option for Manly at 5/8 .. that is a prized position he will need to earn ... not just with the odd big play ... but with 80 mins of hard work and leadership.

My guess is we'll be here in this thread same time next year saying, ok lets see how he goes in 2024 now that he's got a full season of 5/8 under his belt.
Yep, you could be right but geez I hope not. I really want him to do well and have us say - that was a bloody good year, imagine how much better again he'll be in 24. I have a gut feeling about this kid - but that could just be my reflux!

My guess is we'll be here in this thread same time next year saying, ok lets see how he goes in 2024 now that he's got a full season of 5/8 under his belt.
Mate if he doesn't hit the ground running in 2023 doing combinations of Fittler, Daley and Lyon as well as leading Dally M after 10 rounds then he'll be another Phil Bailey.

Agree with most of your points, Bear, and that we need to give the kid opportunity and time before we judge him too harshly. But I think Benji was just blowing smoke after that debut game. It's also worth remembering that we ended up giving up a good lead and losing that game, and that Schuster was forced to leave the field through injury. That one game was a microcosm of the Schuster experience to date: plenty of talent, a good dose of hype, mixed with injury and a lack of results.
They actually lost the game after he left the field injured. They were leading 26-18 when he was playing. He left the field at the 64th minute and Manly then scored one more try but Wests then came home in the last 10 minutes with 3 tries, while Schuster was off the field.

Mate .. love your support of the Shu .. I think we all want Schuster to be the next messiah.. but that doesn't mean we should be blind to any real, or perceived shortcomings.

Also, agree Foz is at the end of his career, but that also doesn't mean the Shu is necessarily the best option for Manly at 5/8 .. that is a prized position he will need to earn ... not just with the odd big play ... but with 80 mins of hard work and leadership.
Give him a chance at 6 as he has filled in well there when he was needed .You have your opinion on him and I have mine but we cannot judge someone who has been playing out of position for 2 years . No one can predict the future but Manly has to let him go if he does not perform at 6 next year .Who knows he might perform at another club .

Give him a chance at 6 as he has filled in well there when he was needed .You have your opinion on him and I have mine but we cannot judge someone who has been playing out of position for 2 years . No one can predict the future but Manly has to let him go if he does not perform at 6 next year .Who knows he might perform at another club .

More than happy for him to get every opportunity at 6 ... but my criticism and opinion of him to date after watching over 30 1st grade appearances has nothing to to with what position he has played ..

Effort, workrate, defense, 1%er's, kick chase, option taking, fitness, football smarts have nothing to do with his position and are all parts of attitude ...

As I said, I wish him well ... but his success will start inside his own head .. not with coaches or what position he plays ...

You watch geriatric Foran .. 9/10 times he is first man up to make the tackle, or funnel the returner from a kick chase .. until the Shu gets that level of commitment I will continue to have my concerns.

More than happy for him to get every opportunity at 6 ... but my criticism and opinion of him to date after watching over 30 1st grade appearances has nothing to to with what position he has played ..

Effort, workrate, defense, 1%er's, kick chase, option taking, fitness, football smarts have nothing to do with his position and are all parts of attitude ...

As I said, I wish him well ... but his success will start inside his own head .. not with coaches or what position he plays ...

You watch geriatric Foran .. 9/10 times he is first man up to make the tackle, or funnel the returner from a kick chase .. until the Shu gets that level of commitment I will continue to have my concerns.

Ask this question though. How would Foran perform as a second rower? How would he have performed as a second rower ten years ago? Sure Schuster is a bigger unit, but he was brought through the juniors in the last years as a 5/8. Suddenly he's expected to be a second rower because he played there early in his junior years. That's a big ask for a young player. I doubt Foran would have coped.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10