The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The way he played, he was always going to wreck his body prematurely. It's a shame we only got one good season out of him.
You're kidding right?

He was great - not just good - for at least 3.5 seasons including being a big part of our 2011 premiership win. However his performances from mid-2014 became pretty... inconsistent.

It was well documented on this forum by anybody who had eyes and a small understanding of footy (this rules out 50% of said forum) that his playing style ie “ticker” would bugger his body. He is no Toovey though

A suggestion... Maybe you should make more effort to add value to this forum instead of saying "this forum is full of idiots" every second post.

Last edited:
You're kidding right?

He was great - not just good - for at least 3.5 seasons including being a big part of our 2011 premiership win. However his performances from mid-2014 became pretty... inconsistent.

Yeah but after the way he left I only really remember 2011 fondly.

Matthew Hayden was never known for his finesse, but in October 2003 Haydos brutally bludgeoned a impotent Zimbabwe attack at the WACA to set a new Test record of 380. Starting in a reasonably measured way he was 76 at tea on day one, he then smashed a hundred in the last session to finish the day unbeaten on 185. He returned on day two to go "down town" repeatedly on the meek attack, planting the front foot and just belting the ball into and over the rope. He almost scored another ton in the first session reaching 271 at lunch. More of the same after lunch as he continued the plunder, along the way posting the highest Test score by an Australian, going past The Don and Tubby's 334. After racking up another hundred in a session he finally went past Lara's 375 the over before tea, to become the record holder for the highest individual Test score. I think the majority of Australians on the east coast were glued to their TV sets fully expecting the onslaught to continue after tea as Haydos seemed short odds to pass the magical 400 barrier. Unfortunately the break proved his undoing and he holed out to a good catch in the deep off the bowling of the little known part timer Trevor Gripper just after the resumption of play

Hayden’s epic had taken 437 balls, at a strike-rate of nearly 87. He struck 38 fours, 11 sixes and a five, to completely bully an understrength attack. As a batsman who loved to intimidate and dominate bowling attacks, this was Hayden at his best - had this been a boxing match the referee would have stopped the fight at lunch on day 2. After Lara's record stood for nearly 10 years, Hayden's time in the sun lasted about 6 months as BC Lara reclaimed the record not long after. After a shaky start to his test career Matthew Hayden went on to forge a reputation as one of Australia's best batsman and definitely our most successful opener with over 8500 runs at an average of 50.73.

View attachment 10474

Cool story bro haha...

I got the stitches out of my hand today so be careful, my keyboard needs a workout haha

Matthew Hayden was never known for his finesse, but in October 2003 Haydos brutally bludgeoned a impotent Zimbabwe attack at the WACA to set a new Test record of 380. Starting in a reasonably measured way he was 76 at tea on day one, he then smashed a hundred in the last session to finish the day unbeaten on 185. He returned on day two to go "down town" repeatedly on the meek attack, planting the front foot and just belting the ball into and over the rope. He almost scored another ton in the first session reaching 271 at lunch. More of the same after lunch as he continued the plunder, along the way posting the highest Test score by an Australian, going past The Don and Tubby's 334. After racking up another hundred in a session he finally went past Lara's 375 the over before tea, to become the record holder for the highest individual Test score. I think the majority of Australians on the east coast were glued to their TV sets fully expecting the onslaught to continue after tea as Haydos seemed short odds to pass the magical 400 barrier. Unfortunately the break proved his undoing and he holed out to a good catch in the deep off the bowling of the little known part timer Trevor Gripper just after the resumption of play

Hayden’s epic had taken 437 balls, at a strike-rate of nearly 87. He struck 38 fours, 11 sixes and a five, to completely bully an understrength attack. As a batsman who loved to intimidate and dominate bowling attacks, this was Hayden at his best - had this been a boxing match the referee would have stopped the fight at lunch on day 2. After Lara's record stood for nearly 10 years, Hayden's time in the sun lasted about 6 months as BC Lara reclaimed the record not long after. After a shaky start to his test career Matthew Hayden went on to forge a reputation as one of Australia's best batsman and definitely our most successful opener with over 8500 runs at an average of 50.73.

View attachment 10474

View attachment 10474

Loved Hayden from his early years when he was plundering century after century for QLD. I was saddened when he didn't immediately kick on in tests when they found his weakness. But he worked on that weakness and made it a strength and in my opinion became our best ever opener. But yes Lara was the more complete batsman, and I feel better than Tendulkar, though both were the master batsmen of their age.

EPSON667.JPG

It was well documented on this forum by anybody who had eyes and a small understanding of footy (this rules out 50% of said forum) that his playing style ie “ticker” would bugger his body. He is no Toovey though

Which 50% do you consider yourself in Z?

I was in the 99.9% who were just happy to see him run out in a Manly jumper every weekend. Looking back I guess we could see the toll it was taking on his body but we still dreamed he’d be the Manly captain for the next decade. I was somewhere between disappointed and heartbroken by the way it all fell apart. Great player who gave his all on the field and we were so lucky to have him for a few years. I’ll even forgive 2012 when he phoned it in for most of the season.

Loved Hayden from his early years when he was plundering century after century for QLD. I was saddened when he didn't immediately kick on in tests when they found his weakness. But he worked on that weakness and made it a strength and in my opinion became our best ever opener. But yes Lara was the more complete batsman, and I feel better than Tendulkar, though both were the master batsmen of their age.

There isn’t much splitting the four premier batsman of the last era being Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis and sangakara.

The only way to set them apart from each other is by taking the following into account

Kallis also took near on 300 wickets

Sangakaras average was over 70 when he stopped wicketkeeping aswell as batting

Lara has about 1/6 the amount of “not outs” as the other 3 premier batsman in this list due to the batting lineup he was part of, this drastically shifted his average downwards

These three elements probably put all of them above Tendulkar even though he scored the most runs (from the most games)

Lara was my favourite, but they were all incredible.

Ponting, jaywardne and devilliers are next tier down

There isn’t much splitting the four premier batsman of the last era being Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis and sangakara.

The only way to set them apart from each other is by taking the following into account

Kallis also took near on 300 wickets

Sangakaras average was over 70 when he stopped wicketkeeping aswell as batting

Lara has about 1/6 the amount of “not outs” as the other 3 premier batsman in this list due to the batting lineup he was part of, this drastically shifted his average downwards

These three elements probably put all of them above Tendulkar even though he scored the most runs (from the most games)

Lara was my favourite, but they were all incredible.

Ponting, jaywardne and devilliers are next tier down

Great analysis @joeboy.
I can’t believe that Kalis isn’t held in higher esteem than he is, he batted at 4 and bowled first change - 13000 runs @ 55 and nearly 300 wickets @ 32 puts him at the top of the tree for me of players of my lifetime.
200 catches mostly in the cordon meant he was always in the game - for well over a decade.
His game ( and stats ) also carried over equally in ODI’s.
Sangakkara would next for me, he carried SL until Jayawardene came along.
The back end of DeVilliers career is pretty much untouchable too.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4