• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So if we never resigned DCE who would be our half now ?
We'll never know will we. It's a sliding doors moment. For all we know we could have young Walker here now. Or Nicho Hynes could have stayed and been playing in the halves.

Said it many a time, almost impossible to have a succession plan when the boss is on an 8 year contract. You don't attract young talent unless you can provide them the opportunity.

for mine the DCE issue is about roles , just as much as pay packets. Too often in interviews we hear from DCE that he just wants to play his own game. he needs to play what the team needs first, then to his strengths. if we are going to break the bank paying him to play more like a fullback , then who plays the 7 role. In recent seasons , no one.
Everyone keeps reminding me how much other players who play 7 get paid so how do we afford 2 because our first one prefers to pay back up.

there is no doubt he has the skills and when instructed to play like a 7 he can, but as soon as the pressure is off he reverts back to freestyle. its this decision not to do whats needed as opposed to form that is more telling if you care to listen

the defence issue is a non issue. while its noble that he makes his tackles and he tries hard it is not useful for him to just play a defensive role who likes to back up other peoples work

no one is interested in paying top money for a prop that is really good at kick chase and catching bombs but prefers not to take hit ups. this is the same analogy even if he runs 250000m in a game on kick chase and tries hard

so we are stuck with the highest paid 7 in the history of the game, but have to constantly jiggle our roster to be able to afford someone who can carry out the majority of the number 7 duties. Its madness.

but then the same people who say DCE tries hard, he isnt a great game manager, its not his go,look at his defensive numbers, then smash croker who is on bugger all coin, out of position and tries just as hard, has good defence, because he isnt fluent in the number 9 role and shouldnt be seen carrying a footy again

At the end of the day , i presume some of you will read this, tell me i talk out my assss, which is cool as i do, but surely we can understand in the salary cap era you struggle when you pay overs, then struggle even more if what you paid overs for is not fit for the purpose intended. sure he serves a purpose and is very gifted but until he becomes a thinker of the game,takes on more responsibility, he is only a team man in effort and it take more than effort to be successful in the NRL

ultimately what will his legacy be, overpaid, gifted, resillient, divisive ,fancy, good defender but on field as dumb as duck ship, good half back when micro managed

Look effort is great, and no one can deny he makes an effort. But I find this whole "he tries his ar$e off every week" excuse frustrating. It's insulting to the other 16 players because the inference is that they don't, plus I don't just want effort from my marquee player I want consistent match influencing performances. Effort should not excuse lack of ability, lack of skill or lack of execution at this level and in his role. Some times his effort detracts from his performance because he goes manic and loses composure, so it has a down side too.

And just on the whole tackling thing, without talking around in circles. Yes I agree he makes more tackles than most other halves. All I was trying to point out about the "myth" was that it isn't a significant enough amount of extra defensive work that it is a valid excuse for him not to be able to play a dominant half back role. I don't understand the "DCE didn't play so well today" observation getting met with a "yeh but he made 24 tackles so how is he supposed to do that and also run the team around the park" excuse. They are mutually exclusive propositions in my opinion at the low deviation from the norm that we are talking about here. Using this logic then the halfback who makes the least amount of tackles per game should be the most dominant.
I take your points CnC and I am not saying they are not valid...

I take the viewpoint that his effort is ALWAYS there regardless of scoreline and there are so many variables affecting his ability to be that game-winning player - ie. If we are getting belted in yardage and falling off tackles then there is SFA the half can do beside make his tackles and clearing kicks...

I have never said he is infallible, there are are games we could have won if he had shown better skills - but there are also games we don't win if it wasn't for him (like warriors)

The Warriors game is a good example... his Saab kick, general clearances, line breaks, grubber (thanks to a handling error) and FG won us that game - without him being so good we do not win that BUT it took the efforts of our forwards (who stood up as a pack) to put him in position to do a lot of that...

I rate effort above everything and I can see his effort EVERY week... I would not say the same about some of our others who sometimes resort to going through the motions...

Occasionally have made the point and think not just being just too simplistic, that one of the most accurate indications of rating D C E 's value or overall contribution level would be say for instance a rating out of 10 for his general performances . Just my view again but a player on his pay grade should be really registering a fairly regular 7, 5 - 8 [ or even plus sometimes ] out of 10 . Sometimes a few variants to take into account but certainly just would not include D C E in this elite level range and again consistency performance wise . Again no questioning his definite ability or talent level , strong points in defence usually [ especially cover ] , just his overall and long term performance consistency and contribution for Manly . . Just for some perspective , he was reportedly more then ready to accept that original offer back in late 2014 or so of around 800 k , probably realized that was pretty much in line with his accepted value at the time [ and without any T P A "s ] Certainly not his fault that his contract value then escalated to the current and long term 1 . 3 mil but has been responsible for his contract for value outcomes . Nevertheless , can still be a vital cog in his remaining Manly career and can only hope that there will be a good outcome for both him and the club in that regard . .

One thing you can never take away from DCE is that he plays almost every match. I'm sure he is carrying injuries like other players but he battles through them to lead his team. We underestimate how severe these injuries might detract from his performance.
He also never shirks his responsibilities in defence.

Don't be ridiculous, no-one's hating DCE. I am frustrated that we are paying someone $1.3m a season whos best attribute at the moment is not getting involved in an attacking play.

It's pretty obvious what I want to see - and that's a player getting paid $1.3m controlling the game like someone getting paid $1.3m should be. The more you get paid, the less slack you get given.

This approach of letting Foran run the show might be a step in the right direction, but it's not the end solution. Manly and DCE have to figure out how to get back into form so that he adds $1.3m worth of value to the team.
Dce edge has had changes every week different centre and backrow fullback hard to build a combination he definitely defends better with Harper in centre hopefully they can keep the same side for a while

Phil Blake was an excitement machine to a young Manly fan at the time like me.
And, Bozo, gave him the arse, from halfback, for a young Des Hasler. Phil played at Centre because Bozo thought he was a liability in defence. Even though he was the league top scorer the previous year at halfback. I loved the bloke and met him in unusual circumstances at Fairlight early one morning, Phil was a little worse for wear, and a tad emotional, the rest of the memory is safe with me, which other members of the public should heed before reaching for the social media, that cheap thrill ruins peoples lives. Rah Rah Phil.

And, Bozo, gave him the arse, from halfback, for a young Des Hasler. Phil played at Centre because Bozo thought he was a liability in defence. Even though he was the league top scorer the previous year at halfback. I loved the bloke and met him in unusual circumstances at Fairlight early one morning, Phil was a little worse for wear, and a tad emotional, the rest of the memory is safe with me, which other members of the public should heed before reaching for the social media, that cheap thrill ruins peoples lives. Rah Rah Phil.
Sad to hear... Phil gave me many, many exciting moments as a youngster and is one of the reasons that my passion for Manly developed as it did...

nothing but love for Phil Blake - incredibly sad that he never did get a premiership as, in my mind, he was always premiership-winning half standard...

I’m a DCE backer. I think the excuses are valid. He is usually poor when the rest of the team is poor. When he had a great side around him, he was instrumental in our 2011 premiership and gf appearance in 2013.
When he plays with a strong and stable QLD team, he is outstanding. He has struggled at times over the years due to a pretty average group of players around him. Put him at Melbourne and I think he’d be unstoppable.

Providing he stays on the field, having Foz back could do wonders for Cherry's game. They were one of the best halves combinations we've ever had, and I couldn't help but smile when they linked up and Foz threw that nice cut-out for Garrick to score in the corner. If they can keep working well together, look out.

I’m a DCE backer. I think the excuses are valid. He is usually poor when the rest of the team is poor. When he had a great side around him, he was instrumental in our 2011 premiership and gf appearance in 2013.
When he plays with a strong and stable QLD team, he is outstanding. He has struggled at times over the years due to a pretty average group of players around him. Put him at Melbourne and I think he’d be unstoppable.
which of the 3857 excuses do you think are most valid ?

put him in melbourne and they would have to sack hughes, harry grant and solomono and olam to accommodate his salary, diluting the melbourne magic you speak of, munster still runs the show and DCE plays like a second fullback andif papanhauzen gets injured they are the cowboys standard. I have heard you say the salary cap is not about just straight swapping players. its complex

Then melbourne fans all say, he goes good in a stacked team,but now we dont have one. Then roosters buy him for 120k (cough cough), next to keary and tadesco and manu and the morris boys and he wins 2 premierships. then half of silvertails go, I told you he is a gun

he would go better at manly if we could afford 2.2 million in the halves. NO ONE doubts he has things to offer, but its what he doesnt offer that is the main concern. he needs to be complimented by very costly skill sets on a limited budget. foran aside the skillset needed to offset DCE is 900k. Is that close to accurate ? he went ok with munster is not a accurate measure of salary cap restrictions in clubland

put him in melbourne and they would have to sack hughes, harry grant and solomono and olam to accommodate his salary, diluting the melbourne magic you speak of, munster still runs the show and DCE plays like a second fullback andif papanhauzen gets injured they are the cowboys standard. I have heard you say the salary cap is not about just straight swapping players. its complex

Then melbourne fans all say, he goes good in a stacked team,but now we dont have one. Then roosters buy him for 120k (cough cough), next to keary and tadesco and manu and the morris boys and he wins 2 premierships. then half of silvertails go, I told you he is a gun

he would go better at manly if we could afford 2.2 million in the halves. NO ONE doubts he has things to offer, but its what he doesnt offer that is the main concern. he needs to be complimented by very costly skill sets on a limited budget. foran aside the skillset needed to offset DCE is 900k. Is that close to accurate ? he went ok with munster is not a accurate measure of salary cap restrictions in clubland
Does anyone not think Scam was on over $1M... or Munster?... or Cronk? Papenhuyzen and Grant are young but im betting they play their careers at Storm...

I would suggest that comparing any teams salary cap position with drizzle or rorters is a pointless exercise... maybe look at tits (taylor) and StMerge (Hunt) as a more direct comparison of what is achievable? (And what it takes to allow the HB to succeed)

Does anyone not think Scam was on over $1M... or Munster?... or Cronk? Papenhuyzen and Grant are young but im betting they play their careers at Storm...

I would suggest that comparing any teams salary cap position with drizzle or rorters is a pointless exercise... maybe look at tits (taylor) and StMerge (Hunt) as a more direct comparison of what is achievable? (And what it takes to allow the HB to succeed)
i was responding to the comment that DCE would kill it playing for the storm

i was responding to the comment that DCE would kill it playing for the storm
oh, OK - my bad...

in that case I agree, Kyle Flanagan would kill it playing for the Storm - just look at how much better he looked at rorters...

sh*t even Luke Brookes would look like a superstar in the purple 7...

I like Jerome Hughes but it will be very interesting to see how he goes at Warriors next year, after all Brodie Croft looked like a star when he had that jersey too...

oh, OK - my bad...

in that case I agree, Kyle Flanagan would kill it playing for the Storm - just look at how much better he looked at rorters...

sh*t even Luke Brookes would look like a superstar in the purple 7...

I like Jerome Hughes but it will be very interesting to see how he goes at Warriors next year, after all Brodie Croft looked like a star when he had that jersey too...
Hughes is staying at Melbourne - signed a three year extension just recently.

The salary cap is not the reason why Storm are going better than Manly. There are a thousand reasons why the Storm have been successful where Manly haven’t.
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I think Daly is still one of the best halves in the comp and I wouldn’t swap him for just about anyone else.

The salary cap is not the reason why Storm are going better than Manly. There are a thousand reasons why the Storm have been successful where Manly haven’t.
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I think Daly is still one of the best halves in the comp and I wouldn’t swap him for just about anyone else.
what is he like at training @Snake?

Is he a hard trainer, does he do extras? How is he with the youngsters?

Guess what I am asking is does he bring more to the group than just what we see on the weekend?

The halfback market is going to get busy with brisbane, tigers, souths, titans, sharks, cowboys, Manly and maybe more have have halves coming off contract and some on massive deals are going to need to take a massive paycut to get a job.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6