• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The root of the problem for DCE is no decent 9 controlling the ruck and giving him space. Cleary had all night to get his kicks away and DCE was always rushed.
No offence but this excuse that gets offered up each week about his kicking game being rushed does my head in. Granted we don't have the team that is controlling the ruck and we don't have Cameron Smith at dummy half, BUT seriously if you want time to get a kick in then position yourself deeper and wider. He puts most of that kick pressure on himself with poor positioning. He pulls off the 40/20 quite a bit which is great, but the rest of his kicking game is only average. If he stands 2m deeper and 2m wider is he worried that a first grade footballer at dummy half can't hit him ??

No offence but this excuse that gets offered up each week about his kicking game being rushed does my head in. Granted we don't have the team that is controlling the ruck and we don't have Cameron Smith at dummy half, BUT seriously if you want time to get a kick in then position yourself deeper and wider. He puts most of that kick pressure on himself with poor positioning. He pulls off the 40/20 quite a bit which is great, but the rest of his kicking game is only average. If he stands 2m deeper and 2m wider is he worried that a first grade footballer at dummy half can't hit him ??
Agreed. He was the same last year with levi and he had a great pass. All kickers have to adapt , but every week he seems more and more incapable of doing that. He is just so far off the pace when kicking, running the ball, positioning that its ridiculous. He looks new to the position or even the game

His first instinct seems to be to stay out of it , which makes it hard for him to Step up when required. His positioning in general play is curious when the camera angle pans back far enough to locate him.

Its probably time someone put together a book on 101 reasons why cherry underperforms. I couldnt do it, it would be too sarcastic , maybe once one of his fans is finished washing cherries car they could piece it together .

Cant wait for the chapter of the misunderstood playmaker

Thurston did it behind Granville

The root of the problem for DCE is no decent 9 controlling the ruck and giving him space. Cleary had all night to get his kicks away and DCE was always rushed.

DCE is badly out of form and needs to lift, he is the captain and responsible for running our attack and guiding the team. He has to take ownership of that!
Cleary had time and space because our defence was under the pump from the get go...

Our guys are scrambling to get back and don't make that extra effort to get up and pressure the kicker...

which gives him time...
which leads to a repeat set...
rinse and repeat...

As others have suggested, when a good halfback is being pressured by the defense he finds extra space and time. The easiest fix is to stand deeper and force the opposition to jump the gun to get to you. Put in short grubbers for the backs to chase, use different running plays, move around the field - anything to put doubt into the minds of the players trying to target you. Stuff Cherry just doesn't do.

Last night when Cust came on he was throwing crisp passes that created momentum. It seemed to me that few of these passes went to Cherry. Was Cherry just not there to take the passes or was Cade deliberately picking out other players? A good play-maker should have stepped up at that point.

Cherry's defense seems to have slipped badly as well. He used to be a reliable tackler who shut down many opposition back line movements with a well timed one on one tackle. Lately he's been running out of the line and just getting brushed off or stepped by the opposition player. When this happens he tends to stand and watch the ensuing chaos rather than scrambling back. He has also taken to coming in late on tackles (3rd or 4th man), contributing nothing but a little push, and failing to get back into the defensive line before the ball is played.

All in all Cherry isn't just ineffective he's a liability to the team. He's not just using up salary cap, the opposition actually benefit from having him on the field.

Media pressure starting to build on DCE,

I posted the following article link in the Game Day thread last night so that is two media outlets so far:

Kicks out on the full way more than gets 40/20's.

Did some good kicks tonight.

Saab's try and the field goal the obvious ones.

I think he needs to sharpen up those high kicks to the wing and that'll be another potent string to the bow.

Killer used to score a few tries jumping high after running in on the angle so you don't have to be 6'7" for it to work.

Is it just me or does he make too many tackles per game? I had a look at other halves. They average 10-12 a game. Reynolds 5-10. DCE over 30 tonight. And usually averages 20-30. Is he overworked in defence and gassed in attack?
Always has and a lot of them are scrambling tackles to cover misses...
His kicking game has been terrible in recent times and he has struggled to find space but Cherry has always been one of our hardest workers on the field....
...and yes, ideally he should tackle less...

I thought he had a good game.. turned them around constantly with well placed early kicks, beautiful kick for Saab's try, bit of luck with the bounce for Schuster's try but all in all, a good night with his kicks, try assists for both our trys and the FG means he was involved in every point we scored...
Still has plenty of room To improve, but it was a great step up from what we've seen so far this year

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8