• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

47MVEagle

Bencher
I think someone has already posted this but if we look at the old guard of players that Choc was part of here & what they went on to do post-DCE signing his current contract, I fail to see how DCE's contract was the cause of the team falling apart?

Kite - at the end of his career, I don't know the full details of him leaving but he didn't do much for his last season at Penrith.

Gift - Manly wanted to keep him but could only offer him $350k, the NRL said that was undervalued so we let him go & Souffs picked him up for $600k (I believe).

Choc - spat the dummy after Gift leaving & Manly only offering him a 1 year contract & arguably conned Parramatta into paying huge overs for him for 4 years. He played what, 17 games for them before breaking down with the knee injuries Manly knew were inevitable & hence why they only offered him a 1 year contract?

Foran - would it be fair to say he was leaned on by Choc to leave Manly to join him at Parramatta? Obviously he was offered huge money, had bad blood also due to Gift leaving & liked Brad Arthur, but from Choc's own words in his recent interview it sounds to me as though he could be quite standoverish when trying to influence younger players into doing what he wanted them to. Regardless, we've all seen what a trainwreck Foran's life turned out to be, both personal & on the field (injuries, suicide attempt, etc)

Lyon - saw out his contract & left without a fuss & never indicated he had a problem with the club while active nor since leaving. A class act.

Snake & Matai - at the end of their careers, one more injury away from retirement anyway, which ultimately saw them sit out season 2017 but we weren't afforded the same consideration Parramatta were with Choc's medical retirement so our cap was impacted by some $1.2m for that season.

So who is Choc to claim to speak on behalf of these guys in slagging DCE off for his contract negotiating after:

1. Choc himself blagged his way into a ridiculously huge contract that his body was never going to be able to deliver to at Parramatta;

2. The Penn's withdrew their $700k offer to chase Foran, which resulted in DCE signing for GC for significantly more;

3. Foran holding the club to ransom knowing they were desperate to keep him after losing DCE;

4. Choc leaning on Foran to influence him in signing with Parramatta;

5. Foran signing with Parramatta resulting in Manly becoming even more desperate in trying to lure DCE back.

I think DCE is just one of those people that some people just don't like - whether it be his manner, his appearance, their perception of his personality, or a combination of all of these things.

But people also know they can't use these as legitimate reasons for getting rid of him so they home in on the things they think can justify their demands - his onfield performance, his perceived treatment of the club when negotiating his contract, his apparent divisiveness - and make a much bigger fuss of them than is reasonable, when compared to things other players have done in the past, including backflipping on contracts (Inglis at Broncos, Tedesco at Canberra), playing hardball or conning clubs for unreasonable contracts (Foran at Manly, Choc at Parra) etc.

It's very obviously a personal issue for those who dislike him - Tallis is guilty of it, so too is Choc & now apparently Mason.

grassy

Bencher
Tom, not many players are up to standard when the team is going so bad .Being the highest payed player is besides the point. If anyone let alone Cherry is not in it for the money well they are nuts to a degree. There is no way I or would I expect anyone to go out there week after week and get smashed for nothing. And not only for nothing but actually not even trying to get the best deal for themselves possible. Its unheard of nowadays to even think anyone would go out there and play for the club week in and week out while people sit back and watch you get smashed. Underperforming is all part off a club which is under restrictions now due to there own foolish mind set. Even the players min set has been an abortion this year. Your right he probably is not up to standard but he is clearly trying as I have been to games this year and seen him. Its not our business to talk about how much he is being paid and it makes NO difference to anything by doing so because its his dealings not ours.We need to get our **** together as a club and have a more of a grown up outlook into moving on from all the stupidity that the club and players have caused on and off the field. A lot off our problems believe it or not have come from off the field not on the field.Our underachieving is a product off that. We can talk about money all we like but it changes nothing as the deal was done ages ago. The Watmouth saga is a classic example of what I am saying. Stupid mindset. Any team that wins premierships don't act like that because it just don't add up and it wont happen. We have a team off first grade footballers acting like school kids.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think someone has already posted this but if we look at the old guard of players that Choc was part of here & what they went on to do post-DCE signing his current contract, I fail to see how DCE's contract was the cause of the team falling apart?

Kite - at the end of his career, I don't know the full details of him leaving but he didn't do much for his last season at Penrith.

Gift - Manly wanted to keep him but could only offer him $350k, the NRL said that was undervalued so we let him go & Souffs picked him up for $600k (I believe).

Choc - spat the dummy after Gift leaving & Manly only offering him a 1 year contract & arguably conned Parramatta into paying huge overs for him for 4 years. He played what, 17 games for them before breaking down with the knee injuries Manly knew were inevitable & hence why they only offered him a 1 year contract?

Foran - would it be fair to say he was leaned on by Choc to leave Manly to join him at Parramatta? Obviously he was offered huge money, had bad blood also due to Gift leaving & liked Brad Arthur, but from Choc's own words in his recent interview it sounds to me as though he could be quite standoverish when trying to influence younger players into doing what he wanted them to. Regardless, we've all seen what a trainwreck Foran's life turned out to be, both personal & on the field (injuries, suicide attempt, etc)

Lyon - saw out his contract & left without a fuss & never indicated he had a problem with the club while active nor since leaving. A class act.

Snake & Matai - at the end of their careers, one more injury away from retirement anyway, which ultimately saw them sit out season 2017 but we weren't afforded the same consideration Parramatta were with Choc's medical retirement so our cap was impacted by some $1.2m for that season.

So who is Choc to claim to speak on behalf of these guys in slagging DCE off for his contract negotiating after:

1. Choc himself blagged his way into a ridiculously huge contract that his body was never going to be able to deliver to at Parramatta;

2. The Penn's withdrew their $700k offer to chase Foran, which resulted in DCE signing for GC for significantly more;

3. Foran holding the club to ransom knowing they were desperate to keep him after losing DCE;

4. Choc leaning on Foran to influence him in signing with Parramatta;

5. Foran signing with Parramatta resulting in Manly becoming even more desperate in trying to lure DCE back.

I think DCE is just one of those people that some people just don't like - whether it be his manner, his appearance, their perception of his personality, or a combination of all of these things.

But people also know they can't use these as legitimate reasons for getting rid of him so they home in on the things they think can justify their demands - his onfield performance, his perceived treatment of the club when negotiating his contract, his apparent divisiveness - and make a much bigger fuss of them than is reasonable, when compared to things other players have done in the past, including backflipping on contracts (Inglis at Broncos, Tedesco at Canberra), playing hardball or conning clubs for unreasonable contracts (Foran at Manly, Choc at Parra) etc.

It's very obviously a personal issue for those who dislike him - Tallis is guilty of it, so too is Choc & now apparently Mason.
You got the wrong contract. Whatnow was talking post 2011 GF not the subsequent 2015 contract circus

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Tiresome reading comments from posters that suggest that people with a contrary view should support some other team or they call the poster an insulting name. Its poor form and it's unnecessarily making the discussion personal. So play the ball not the man. We are all suffering this season so lets not turn on one another.
I did have a bit of a chuckle though when I realised that one of the chief offenders was called 'stronger together'!

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
I fail to see how Evans has encountered the kind of violent opposition that Einstein would be referring too? Regardless, I was initially a supporter of his however, over time, I have come to have little regard for him. I think his character is there for all to see and it further hi-lights why Qld will not select him. It is his inability to acknowledge fault, insincerity and attitude that fails to inspire. While I agree that some of our former players, who put in hard for our club, are tarnishing themselves by the vulgarity of their comments, I do both see and empathise with where they're coming from.
I actually really wasn't likening Cherry to Einstein at all. Just promoting thinking differently from the norm.

niccipops

Premium Member
Good, as this week even Einstein is getting a bad wrap :giggle:

:D
Albert-einstein-bitch-please_o_123416.jpg

Simonmyers11

First Grader
The one Queenslander the Trbojevic brothers aren't out to take down

Jake and Tom Trbojevic still have plenty of time for at least one Queenslander - Daly Cherry-Evans.

The Blues brothers could be forgiven for craving a return to State of Origin camp this week and getting as far as away from the Sea Eagles as possible.

Brothers: Jake and Tom Trbojevic in NSW camp in Sydney ahead of Origin II.

Photo: James Brickwood
But the star siblings are not only convinced Manly can turn their season around, but are adamant that under-fire Manly captain Cherry-Evans is the man to lead them.

Cherry-Evans was last week on the end of a vicious verbal blast from Anthony Watmough - the former Sea Eagles favourite labelled him a ''f---wit' - and there was even a push by some good judges for Jake to replace the club's $10 million man as skipper.

But as Origin II at ANZ Stadium edged closer, Jake told Fairfax Media he had no captaincy aspirations and threw his support behind Cherry-Evans.

He also revealed he had not spoken to Manly outcast Jackson Hastings and said he hoped rookie rake Manase Fainu was given the all-clear by the NRL to make his first-grade debut.

"I haven't thought about that [captaincy] ... Cherry is doing a great job and he's a great leader," Jake Trbojevic said.

"The last couple of years he's done a phenomenal job. I know everyone gives it to him but he handles it well. The criticism he cops from certain people is definitely not deserved. It's pretty unfair.

"We see how hard he works and trains and how much it means to him playing for Manly. If everyone cared as much as he did we'd be fine."

Tom Trbojevic said of Cherry-Evans: "It's been hard for him and that whole thing [from Watmough] last week came out of nowhere.

"We love having him at Manly, he's a quality player and we love him as skipper."

Another hot topic on the northern beaches is the future of Hastings, the player who was involved in an incident with Cherry-Evans during an away trip to Gladstone earlier this season and is no chance of being selected again by coach Trent Barrett.

The only way the Sea Eagles can register Fainu is if Hastings takes up a deal from interested English Super League clubs before June 30.

Another option for Manly that has not been raised is terminating Nate Myles' contract - he is already being paid out - and creating an extra spot on their roster.

Barrett said after Saturday night's loss to St George Illawarra he would try every Monday to convince the NRL to register Fainu's deal.

"I haven't talked to [Hastings] because he's been playing with Blacktown," Jake said.

"It definitely would make it easier [if he took a deal] because we wanted to play Manase on the weekend and we weren't allowed.

"He's only young and it would be ideal to give him some experience this back end of the year. He's a bloody good player.

"He was in the 20s last year. They won the comp and he was a big part of that. This year he hasn't missed a beat. He's strong, skilful and I'd love to see him get a go."

Tom, meanwhile, did well to recover from the ultimate tackle from Greg Inglis in game one of the Origin series.

Inglis was penalised for being offside but Tom described the first-half belter as "the biggest hit I've been hit with".

"He got me good a few times," Tom said of Inglis.

"The biggest thing I learned [from game one] was how hard you need to work to win a game of Origin.

"Everyone realised that, everyone was working for each other out there, and that's what I noticed most. Hopefully we do the same Sunday night."

Trbojevic was brilliant on the wing, and although he is Manly's star No.1, he said he made a point of looking for the ball to start the sets.

Oracle

Eagles win 2019 GF
Of course it's OK.

I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. There is no doubt that DCE is polarising, and there is no doubt that his threat to not turn up to training (if true) showed a lack of integrity and respect for the team and fans, not to mention a fair degree of immaturity, something his manager no doubt took advantage of. I also believe that a $50k contract for a premiership winning half is a joke, yes he signed it prior to the season and that is fine; however, Manly should have re-evaluated it anyway to cut it off at the pass and offer Daly $250k. Choc did play his guts out and was a large reason for our success as of course were all of the big five (Jamie, Brett, Glenn, Steve and Choc); however, Choc caused plenty of grief off field and was no angel.

Phil Gould said on a podcast that when a player plays well above their contract value - they will proactively speak with them and upgrade their contract to show good faith and give them what they are worth. Now they won't be shy in kicking someone to the curb if they fail; however, it does go both ways - or at least it should. Manly could have managed the situation better - got on the front foot, offered $250k upscaled over time. Instead they didn't and the manager went for the throat and won.

In my view both Cherry and Manly could have handled it better. I get why Choc and co were dirty, and that is fair enough; however, the media and other detractors are all jumping on the hate train and I think it is way over the top. We have players bashing people in their homes, bashing partners, stomping on heads, drink driving, taking a dump in the hallway of hotels, taking obscene pics with dogs (x2), at urinals etc etc - and they are cut more slack than DCE who has done nothing up until recently when he got in a scuffle with a team mate. It's just over the top and there is only so much people can take. Someone else posted that the game makes a big deal about being aware of depression etc - yet the game, the media etc are hell bent on crucifying players relentlessly that they simply don't like or believe are 'news worthy' - a term used to justify bullying. Yes, people need thick skin in life and need to be able to cop criticism; however, this is simply over the top and has been for years when it comes to DCE.
Mate it's time to wake up its not the media or Watmough and co that started this its Dce ....he should have considered the consequences before reneging on the Titans for a few extra dollars.
Players may not say anything but they know a dog act when they see it and obviously the selectors do as well.
Players also know it was Dce that really got Hastings shafted.
No one gives a **** if your a fancy talker if you give a team mate up.
I get Willie when he said Dce is better then Hunt because he is.
But respect by your peers is everything ....he just has to figure out a way to get it back.
It seems like he and Walkz (everyone appears to like Walkz ) are good mates.
Respect people with influence and build on that is what I reckon.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Mate it's time to wake up its not the media or Watmough and co that started this its Dce ....he should have considered the consequences before reneging on the Titans for a few extra dollars.
Players may not say anything but they know a dog act when they see it and obviously the selectors do as well.
Players also know it was Dce that really got Hastings shafted.
No one gives a **** if your a fancy talker if you give a team mate up.
I get Willie when he said Dce is better then Hunt because he is.
But respect by your peers is everything ....he just has to figure out a way to get it back.
It seems like he and Walkz (everyone appears to like Walkz ) are good mates.
Respect people with influence and build on that is what I reckon.
Chez did do the maths and more than doubled his contract by exercising a valid backflip clause -
4 years @ 1 million at a Club under Administration
Or
8 years @1.2 million :nerd:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...-gold-coast-titans-amid-drugs-scandal/6247574

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...6/news-story/f48efc2168b7ce929b0103fd7a5cd953

The Hastings myth is also being debunked by the past year of Club issues with Jacko and his relationship with the Turbros :nod:

The envy will continue to fester but importantly, Chez has managed to set up his young family's financial future :clap:

hozza

Bencher
Chez did do the maths and more than doubled his contract by exercising a valid backflip clause -
4 years @ 1 million at a Club under Administration
Or
8 years @1.2 million :nerd:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...-gold-coast-titans-amid-drugs-scandal/6247574

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...6/news-story/f48efc2168b7ce929b0103fd7a5cd953

The Hastings myth is also being debunked by the past year of Club issues with Jacko and his relationship with the Turbros :nod:

The envy will continue to fester but importantly, Chez has managed to set up his young family's financial future :clap:
Again most here go for MANLY, not Dce.
And certainly when his contract has a negative affect on the club, both financially and on the field.

Players jumping ship left,right and centre. Can’t sign players but hey it’s all good, so long as Evans family is set up.......... pffffft

niccipops

Premium Member
Again most here go for MANLY, not Dce.
And certainly when his contract has a negative affect on the club, both financially and on the field.

Players jumping ship left,right and centre. Can’t sign players but hey it’s all good, so long as Evans family is set up.......... pffffft
In a recent interview TB said 'we'll be moving on players. At this stage we can't say who and why'. It was about cap space. So who's jumping ship left, right and centre?
For all we know it's about trades to try and get the right combination.
But that's right, it's Cherry's fault.
I'm not even the bloke's biggest fan. I wish he was performing better and was on a lower contract. But the DCE bashing gets a little tiresome in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13