• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eammate-who-died/story-fni3fr51-1227396324024

State of Origin game 2: Daly Cherry-Evans to honour friend and former teammate who died
  • PETER BADEL AND TODD BALYM
  • THE SUNDAY MAIL (QLD)
  • JUNE 14, 2015 12:00AM
UNDERFIRE Maroons halfback Daly Cherry-Evans will carry a heavy heart into the biggest game of his Origin career after being left stunned by the death of a former junior teammate.

Just days after being booed at Suncorp Stadium last Friday week, Cherry-Evans was forced to come to terms with the shock passing of Intrust Super Cup star, 25-year-old Grant Giess.

On Monday, Giess will be laid to rest before family and friends in Brisbane.

Two days later, Cherry-Evans, 26, will honour their friendship before an estimated 90,000 fans at the MCG in his moment of reckoning in Origin II.

story-fni3fr51-1227396324024

323944-c80f8140-1187-11e5-97cb-591a1d9825c0.jpg

Cherry-Evans with Grant Giess in 2007.

When he runs out in the Queensland No.7 jumper many believe he was destined to wear, Cherry-Evans is entitled to reflect on his journey from park-footballing nobody to budding Origin star.

Eight years ago, Cherry-Evans and Giess were the axis around which the Wests Panthers Colts side operated.

As this Wests team photo obtained by The Sunday Mail shows, they were baby-faced teenagers chasing their footballing dreams.

Cherry-Evans, his thick mop of hair as spiky-sharp as his footballing brain, was 18 and Wests’ chief playmaker. Giess, then 17, wore No.9, a tough-as-nails, combative hooker who was charged with giving Cherry-Evans slick service out of dummy half.

If the pair weren’t carving up in midfield, they were distributing the ball out wide to Jack Reed, a rugged redhead better known today as the Brisbane Broncos’ British Test centre.

With Cherry-Evans and Giess working in tandem, Wests finished the season third. The following year, Cherry-Evans was snapped up by Manly.

Even without him, Wests surged to the premiership, unearthing another star in future Bronco Matt Gillett, now Cherry-Evans’ teammate in Origin II.

Former Wests secretary Troy Payne remembers Cherry-Evans and Giess being as lethal on the field as they were off it.

323389-c56b5e14-1187-11e5-97cb-591a1d9825c0.jpg

DCE (front, third left), Giess (second row, third left) and Jack Reed (second row, second right).

Last year, Cherry-Evans replaced Cronk in the 10th minute of Origin I when the Storm shot-caller broke his arm. Queensland lost 12-8.

In Game Two, Cherry-Evans refused to succumb to a knee injury and played the full 80 minutes. The Maroons lost again, 6-4, and with it went the Origin shield after an eight-year tenure in Queensland.

Easts Tigers coach Craig Ingebrigtsen, who first mentored Cherry-Evans at Wests alongside Giess in 2007, has no doubt the halfback will silence his critics in Origin II.

He has watched his former protege defy the odds since the age of 17.

“Daly worked harder than anyone I coached,” he recalled last year when Cherry-Evans was handed the reins for Origin II.

“He leaves every player for dead in terms of work ethic.

“At Wests training, he used to place cone markers out and say, ‘I have to hit the cones a certain number of times’. If he had 40 kicks, he would want 35 out of 40 hits before he was satisfied.

“He did the same with his passing game. His left-to-right pass had to be as good as his right-to-left pass. Daly would get six or seven footballs and run and pass to the left. Run and pass to the right, over and over.

“He was that meticulous.”

Ingebrigtsen has coached thousands of footballers at junior and senior level in Queensland and still rates Cherry-Evans the smartest teenager he has mentored.

“His footy brain was the best I’ve seen in a young kid,” Ingebrigtsen said.

“Even to this day, I keep in touch with him and he watches every game, studies everything.

“He used to come into my video sessions and pull a game apart.

“He’s very intelligent. He’d say, ‘OK, stop, look here, we can beat them through the ruck there’. Or, ‘Get me a quick play-the-ball and we can get them on this edge’.

“I was amazed a teenager could read the game so well.

“He’s getting everything he deserves now.”

Maroons warhorse Corey Parker backed Cherry-Evans to fill the Cronk void at the MCG.

“It’s unfortunate for Coops, but as Daly has done in the past he will step into his shoes,” he said.

“At some stage in the next couple of years he will probably do that full-time. Daly has been part of the system, he understands the sequence of plays and the way the team runs which is handy and I’m sure he will do a fine job.”
--------------------------------------------------------------
A TALENTED Queensland rugby league player has become the sixth young player to take his own life in the past two years.

Intrust Super Cup star Grant Giess, 25, was found dead during the early hours of Saturday morning following a night out in Brisbane with his East Tigers team mates.

It is understood Queensland police are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death but are not treating it as suspicious.

West's Tigers prop Mosese Fotuaika, Mackay Cutters' Hayden Butler and Cowboys trio Alex Elisala, Regan Grieve and Francis Winterstein have all taken their own lives over the past two years.

NRL officials are providing support to Giess' team-mates, family and friends.

If you or someone you know needs help, phone Lifeline on 131 114.:angel:
And there it is.....every single time a young football player dies i pray to see heart attack or car crash, i comb the article hoping not to see the number to ****ing lifeline......but recently every time i see these articles there they are

RIP

I hope the histrionics of those in the Media against Chez, read this.:mad:
The mental pressure of being lambasted for months, would be unbelievable for the kid.

His mate's inability to handle his own issues led to this tragedy, and his life wasn't ridiculed in the national press @:cry:

There's seems to be a lot of pressure on young kids. I coach a junior league side and am surprised the amount of parents that think they're kids will play in the nrl. Unfortunately it's not that easy and the average games played in the nrl is only 50.
You also see alot of kids who are good footballers think a good education is not required as their future is in league. It's not hard to fall through the cracks. Most of us have seen it first hand.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it must be a sever reality check when they miss out on their dream to play nrl and being popular at school won't get you a decent job. It can be a ugly world out there.

There's seems to be a lot of pressure on young kids. I coach a junior league side and am surprised the amount of parents that think they're kids will play in the nrl. Unfortunately it's not that easy and the average games played in the nrl is only 50.
You also see alot of kids who are good footballers think a good education is not required as their future is in league. It's not hard to fall through the cracks. Most of us have seen it first hand.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it must be a sever reality check when they miss out on their dream to play nrl and being popular at school won't get you a decent job. It can be a ugly world out there.
Exactly, re your last point, bill gates tells jocks to be nice to the nerds because they'll be your boss in a few years!

And there it is.....every single time a young football player dies i pray to see heart attack or car crash, i comb the article hoping not to see the number to ****ing lifeline......but recently every time i see these articles there they are

RIP
I don't understand your anger towards lifeline...sure the place isn't perfect but at least it's worth a phone before you make such a final decision.

• 📋
Reactions: Rex
It's not lifeline it's the entire situation that eats at me

No person should die that way,they are just always named in these articles

What i should say is ****ing suicide, it's the media link they do good work
It's all good, I totally agree with everything you said...sorry about the confusion....and you're right no one should die that way. There needs to be more resources, not just phone numbers.

Agree mark

I just hope it is not a case of doubling the cap
It should be upping the cap and doing other stuff. The five year deal was worth approx. 250mil per year. 16 clubs each get about $7 mil which is $112mil. That doesn't count the dollars the nrl makes from sponsorship, gate takings, merchandise. Its estimated origin is worth $50mil per year. I'm kinda wondering where the other $140mil + is going because its certainly not going to grass roots footy. NRL fat cat administration anyone?

They are following the surf life saving association model
Have a look at their income per annum and see only donuts going to the clubs

Poor ol' DCE needs to go to the doctor methinks. Is there an actual cure for the case of the Brayden Wiliame's? He's caught it bad.

Played the finals last year, and out in straight sets. Played a trial and lost that. Played three 9's games - out in straight sets. Hasn't won (very much) this season). Gets lumped with maybe the best team in the past 30 year in the QLD Origin team and gets beaten.

Wow.

Anyone think of any cures for DCE. I'm thinking a concoction somewhere between calves blood, and Hoppa's Mum's gameday elixier.

Anything else?

Poor ol' DCE needs to go to the doctor methinks. Is there an actual cure for the case of the Brayden Wiliame's? He's caught it bad.

Played the finals last year, and out in straight sets. Played a trial and lost that. Played three 9's games - out in straight sets. Hasn't won (very much) this season). Gets lumped with maybe the best team in the past 30 year in the QLD Origin team and gets beaten.

Wow.

Anyone think of any cures for DCE. I'm thinking a concoction somewhere between calves blood, and Hoppa's Mum's gameday elixier.

Anything else?
What's your point?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10