The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
@BOZO What I fail to understand is ,Didnt the one and only ,the king of kings ,the one true Immortal ,who can do no wrong .Didnt he sign him up ?,didnt he pick the team ?.
Are you saying your Bozo deity has no idea ??
giphy.gif

Last edited:
@BOZO What I fail to understand is ,Didnt the one and only ,the king of kings ,the one true Immortal ,who can do no wrong .Didnt he sign him up ?,didnt he pick the team ?.
giphy.gif
The moral of your story is ....
We all make mistakes but we are not all Immortals feathered friend .
There is one Incomparable Manly Immortal and that is the unmatched , the unequalled , the great Robert Fulton

I guess that in a totally practical assessment of Kelly . Parker and Tom Wright's suitability of holding down a centre position at the start of this season , apart from trial form , the old adage that you are only basically as good as your last game or season is probably very apt . Kelly obviously had some defensive short comings as well as lacking speed in the open and if he has worked hard in the off season to improve or rectify these negative aspects of his game , he could prove a real and consistent asset to the team . Parker who could also adequately play wing , though naturally lacking some experience , played well in most departments when given the opportunity as a centre and certainly does not lack size , strength or quite good speed , His major concern seems to be avoiding injury . Tom Wright definitely is a bit short on the experience front and maybe i st grade defensive requirements , but of course has more natural ability and attacking ability . So all three have some work to do on their games and also of course in reality all three would be expected to lift their game quite considerably to given first dibs for a centre position and especially with Walker absent for the starting games .

giphy.gif
I thought that John Cartwright may have been more instrumental in recruiting Kelly to Manly with his previous Titan's connection .

There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and that disrespectful, obnoxious, disgraceful and unrelenting abuse that Bozo heaps on a young Manly player who's only crime I can see is that he is not as good as he wishes him to be.
The article which is the main focus of this thread seems to vindicate what many, including the most vocal of us @BOZO have been most critical about young Kelly, is his defence. If he doesn't improve his defence he shouldn't be playing fg. It's a very simple assessment the way I see it. Now if @BOZO provokes your sensibilities in the manner in which he expresses his opinion well that's totally another matter.

Said it before and have not changed my mind. Brad Parker for mine over Kelly. Can't believe no one has mentioned Parker. Solid defender, runs hard, aggressive nature. My kind of centre.

I have mentioned him a few times in the many threads about centres.

I thought that John Cartwright may have been more instrumental in recruiting Kelly to Manly with his previous Titan's connection .
I found this NRL Sporting news article ....

Sea Eagles assistant coach John Cartwright has high hopes for the 20-year-old back.

"Brian is a really powerful, fast kid, who can play full-back, wing, and centre. He has a similar build to Dylan Walker," Cartwright said.

"Everyone up north has a huge opinion of him. It was never a case of thinking not if, but when, he will play NRL."

The Ballina local also impressed on rep duty this season, scoring four tries in NSW's U20s State of Origin victory.
Some under 20's stars Like the 21 year old Tommy Turbo continue to dominate with their superior speed and strength at NRL level . I have not seen the superior speed and strength from Kelly at NRL level .
The moral of this story is ....
Not all under 20's stars reach the same heights at NRL level .

I have come back after looking at my self and what I stand for . I am a passionate Manly supporter who is not used to mediocre as Mighty Manly does not stand for mediocre. As a proud Manly supporter I don't have time for any turn style defensive players that let in 22 tries in 20 games and I don't consider them worthy to wear our proud colours .
As for you feathered friend I think you either raise your standards or support mediocre North Sydney in the NSW cup competition .
I have had my say as we all get to do in this magnificent Manly Silvertails forum .

Matai was mediocre in his first year as well, in fact Kelly is a long way ahead of where Matai started. Good thing you weren't involved back then.

Matai was mediocre in his first year as well, in fact Kelly is a long way ahead of where Matai started. Good thing you weren't involved back then.
I have been a proud supporter of the greatest football club on earth the Manly Sea eagles long before the great Matai came to the club and in my opinion Matai was always going to be a Magnificent Manly legend .

Parker who could also adequately play wing , though naturally lacking some experience , played well in most departments when given the opportunity as a centre and certainly does not lack size , strength or quite good speed

And this is exactly why he should be the starting centre over Kelly.

Before the natives get restless and start chucking spears in my direction, note that I am not a Kelly basher, and hope he reaches the potential people see. It is just my opinion that Parker is a lot more rock solid at this time (without knowing how they are training), and acquitted himself very well in any game he played before being injured. I doubt Kelly would have got his spot back without the injury.

The article which is the main focus of this thread seems to vindicate what many, including the most vocal of us @BOZO have been most critical about young Kelly, is his defence. If he doesn't improve his defence he shouldn't be playing fg. It's a very simple assessment the way I see it. Now if @BOZO provokes your sensibilities in the manner in which he expresses his opinion well that's totally another matter.

I agree all players are subject to criticism and appraisal of their performance ... it is a forum and opinions should be expressed, even robustly ....and I have oft stated that it is not Bozo's opinion I find reprehensible, it is the unrelenting and abusive nature of it.

If the kid "dogged" it or was a serial fukkwit off the field, or displayed even a modicum of dickheadiness I could possibly understand .... but for simply not being as good as you would like ..... called a disgrace and a stain on the Manly jersey? Madness!

Surely a Manly fan could say "don't think he's good enough" without that level of vitriolic.

I agree all players are subject to criticism and appraisal of their performance ... it is a forum and opinions should be expressed, even robustly ....and I have oft stated that it is not Bozo's opinion I find reprehensible, it is the unrelenting and abusive nature of it.

If the kid "dogged" it or was a serial fukkwit off the field, or displayed even a modicum of dickheadiness I could possibly understand .... but for simply not being as good as you would like ..... called a disgrace and a stain on the Manly jersey? Madness!

Surely a Manly fan could say "don't think he's good enough" without that level of vitriolic.
100%

If you need a target to rant at then Penn should be blamed for not having enough contacts for 3rd party agreements to be able to buy stars in every position just like roosters or Bongos. this is what lets us down not rookies.

This Kelly bashing is ridiculous. Kid is a star, was excellent in his first year of first grade. Better than most young guns in their first year. Was in the running for rookie of the year. Weve all seen him show up established centres a couple of times already. He will start round one in his spot. I dont care what the negative wankers in the forum say, hes a star and will be a star. Barrett has shown time and time again he finds the stars Kelly is one of them. People in and around the game rate him highly. And Guess what Bozo speed and strength is great but it leaves you after a while. Skill is what gets player through their career and Kelly is one of the most skillful centres in the game, he can handle the ball well, always sets up his outside man no matter how bad the previous pass he has received and his footwork is very good. Also knows how to run good lines. Stuff the expensive rich centres, Im happy with our young gun kelly.

I have been a proud supporter of the greatest football club on earth the Manly Sea eagles long before the great Matai came to the club and in my opinion Matai was always going to be a Magnificent Manly legend .
You must have a great forward thinking opinion then ,Because the way I remember Matai coming onto the scene was him coming from nowhere and not expecting much from this new no name wannabe.

The moral of your story is ....
We all make mistakes but we are not all Immortals feathered friend .
There is one Incomparable Manly Immortal and that is the unmatched , the unequalled , the great Robert Fulton
Your unequalled,unmatched and great one still signed off on Kelly ,Brown and Barrett.Or was he just having a North Sydney kind of year !

Have to agree on kelly bashing. Look its all trial and error for every matai there one who does not make it.
Remember ashley alberts or alf duncan did not have quality needed consistently. Matai was bloodied on wing slowly brought up.
Alby torrens we spent too much time on him and imo should have cut him.
Bozo you need to have confidence trent make right call, he off contract so its i believe weight and see. While trent seen weakness in backrow so he signed thompson.

Your unequalled,unmatched and great one still signed off on Kelly ,Brown and Barrett.Or was he just having a North Sydney kind of year !
The unequalled , unmatched , incomparable Immortal never failed . Others failed him feathered friend . Always remember that
482364-immortals.jpg

It's the Bears mentality to accept anything other than the entire Manly 30man squad to be superstars.
Anything less are stains on the jersey.

Matai would have been a stain (according to Bozo) on the jersey after season 1 but LUCKILY the club had the smarts to persist because what a fantastic career he had.

Some people can see the talent. Some people can't.
Your right , some people can see the talent in lower grades but that does not mean that the talented lower grade player will excel in the top grade . I never doubted Matai's ability .

Have to agree on kelly bashing. Look its all trial and error for every matai there one who does not make it.
Remember ashley alberts or alf duncan did not have quality needed consistently. Matai was bloodied on wing slowly brought up.
Alby torrens we spent too much time on him and imo should have cut him.
Bozo you need to have confidence trent make right call, he off contract so its i believe weight and see. While trent seen weakness in backrow so he signed thompson.
Yes Kelly is off contract and I can understand why the club is in no hurry to extend like they have with all our other younger star players .

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10