The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What does 20 turn style tackles by Kelly that lead to tries in 22 games prove ? I ll tell you what it proves . It proves he's mediocre . I cant stand mediocre players tarnishing our great Manly name . Manly does not stand for mediocre . We have never won a premiership with any of our centres letting in 20 fcking tries in 22 games .
View attachment 7294
You were saying last year that Roberts is a champion centre, his stats are almost identical to Kelly
28 James Roberts Broncos 23 18 0.78
But you clapped on and on about the **** stain of a person James Roberts and how great he is AND he does not even play for Manly and yet you happily write of a first year rookie with similar stats that PLAYS for Manly.

Go away, have a look at yourself and come back once you have checked yourself.

giphy.gif

Ad f***ing nauseum........
@BOZO
I wouldn't want his young blokes tackling me.

You were saying last year that Roberts is a champion centre, his stats are almost identical to Kelly
But you clapped on and on about the **** stain of a person James Roberts and how great he is AND he does not even play for Manly and yet you happily write of a first year rookie with similar stats that PLAYS for Manly.

I myself criticized kelly , but he deserves another crack . Im sure the coaching staff will have him as ready as they can with a full off season behind him . Its not rocket science that if he doesn't perform to their standards he will be hooked . I feel confident about him . Tommy Wright is a star in the making and unless trouble hits , he will have to do his apprenticeship

In defence of Bozo I don’t think many people ever rated Roberts a defensive centre. His attacking stats are what set him apart 15 tries and 11.5m a carry with 13 line breaks for the season are what set him apart. Kelly had 7 tries averages 8.7m a carry with 9 line breaks. It’s that pure speed that makes Roberts such an attacking threat and half the reason why some people are excited by what Wright could become. Roberts ability to make something out of nothing like what walker can do is what makes him elite.

Castigation ? If I had my way I would Castrate any centre with an NRL record letting in 22 tries in 20 games . I don't know about you but I expect high standards from players as a Manly supporter . Manly does not stand for mediocre .
Do I think that Tom is a better defender than Kelly . Yes I do . For a start he has superior speed and he wont be beaten for pace like the slower Kelly has been .

You keep saying Kelly let in 22 tries in 20 matches.
Even as admitted by the articles authors, that statement is blatantly incorrect.

It can be provocative (putting it kindly) but when confronted with opinions for which one has no regard, we can a) put our counter arguments, or b) ignore. I think I have arrived at b)

giphy.gif

just think that many believe Kelly has a higher potential roof than Parker, so that it may be worth the wait and blind faith to see whether or not he will achieve such heights.

That is a very dangerous approach young Harry. Much better to start the player that best suits the position at the time, and that is Parker as it currently stands. It may be that Kelly continues to improve to be the better centre, but he can do that improvement in reserves, and when he is ready, he fights for the position. Also poor treatment of Parker to say, look, you are the better centre but our crystal ball says Kelly will be better than you eventually. Best squad to win a match comes first and foremost.

What a joke of a list

Considering players play on sides of the park a better reflection would be points scored down a side (as the players inside and out have a direct influence on this)

That is a very dangerous approach young Harry. Much better to start the player that best suits the position at the time, and that is Parker as it currently stands. It may be that Kelly continues to improve to be the better centre, but he can do that improvement in reserves, and when he is ready, he fights for the position. Also poor treatment of Parker to say, look, you are the better centre but our crystal ball says Kelly will be better than you eventually. Best squad to win a match comes first and foremost.
I agree, although I believe this is the approach we are taking

I have come back after looking at my self and what I stand for . I am a passionate Manly supporter who is not used to mediocre as Mighty Manly does not stand for mediocre. As a proud Manly supporter I don't have time for any turn style defensive players that let in 22 tries in 20 games and I don't consider them worthy to wear our proud colours .
As for you feathered friend I think you either raise your standards or support mediocre North Sydney in the NSW cup competition .
I have had my say as we all get to do in this magnificent Manly Silvertails forum .

You are very tough on young Brian, Bozo. He reminds me a lot of Steve Matai, who once conditioned to full contact of NRL, went ahead in leaps and bounds. Sure, I think his report card for now is languishing around a C+/-, but once he fills out, I would be laying a quid on him improving decisively.
All speculative, but I prefer not to pot a young kid finding his way amongst seasoned footballers. He will go OK
So you think that young Brian is another Steve Matai ? I cant see that and I wish I could as it would be great to have another Matai .
Then you go on to say that Kelly will go ok ?
Trouble is Matai didn't just go ok
He went TKO !!!
Its just laughable how a turn style can be compared to Steve Matai

What a joke of a list

Considering players play on sides of the park a better reflection would be points scored down a side (as the players inside and out have a direct influence on this)
20 turn style tries in 22 games is a joke any way you look at it feathered friend . If it was not a joke Trent would not finally given Kelly a rest .

You keep saying Kelly let in 22 tries in 20 matches.
Even as admitted by the articles authors, that statement is blatantly incorrect.
Any where you look at it Kelly has been a liability in defence .

Last edited:
Constant bagging of a young rookie kid (with miles more talent than you will ever have) is as weak as p!ss and shows someones true character or lack there of.

That's a typical sentimental North Sydney mediocre mentality post . As far as I am concerned if your not up to standard don't tarnish our proud Manly colours and play else where. Manly is not a sacred heart club . Its a successful football club where mediocre is not acceptable

As I said champ, you probably need to view some footage of Stevie when he first hit grade. Stevie was willing, but very sloppy in defence.
Anyway, Kelly will go OK in my own opinion.
You have every right to disagree, but as I said, it is very early in his career. Who knows, he could be another Ashley Alberts? I prefer to hope for a positive outcome, after all, I am a Manly supporter!
I remember a young Steve champ, and I can say Kelly wont be a champ . If you think he will then just keep dreaming . You are entitled to your dreams

To all the sacred hearts on here protecting the Kelly Koalas ......
Sea eagles are not part of the protected species
Sea eagles fly above all and can fend for them selves .
avopix-282173576.jpg

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8