The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

smithy

Reserve Grader
Interesting read, no surprise with Walker coming in at 16. Kelly disappointingly coming in 37th, responsible for 20 try causes in 22 games.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/the-best-and-worst-defensive-centres-in-the-nrl/

It is widely accepted that centre is the toughest place to defend on the field, so who were the best and worst defensive centres in the NRL in 2017 and how did they impact their team's fortunes?

We delved deep into NRL.com stats – looking only at players who played at least five games at centre in 2017 and only including regular-season (i.e. non-finals) matches – to look for the answer.

A tough job

While middle defenders are faced with the biggest defensive workloads and the biggest bodies to tackle, a centre faces the toughest decisions. When to slide, when to jam in, how to position themselves to shut down the play without leaving their winger isolated, when to drop back to try and have a chance at defending an attacking kick without leaving too big a gap in the line – these are all decisions centres regularly have to make in a fraction of a second.

They also need to tackle big, wide-running back-rowers as often as fleet-footed wingers and fullbacks who exhibit blinding speed and footwork.

For this analysis, instead of focusing on the regular defensive bread-and-butter stat of tackles made versus tackles missed, we have chosen to look at 'try causes'. This refers to the number of times a centre had a chance to stop a try and didn't.

This could be due to a variety of reasons including defensive misreads or missed tackles that lead to tries, getting outjumped to an attacking kick, or getting caught out of position.

It's not always just the centre's fault

It is important to note that not all try causes are equal. Sometimes a centre has dropped the ball cold on his own line allowing a free try to the opposition, or come rushing out of an otherwise set defensive line to leave a yawning gap for opponents to stroll through. Other times a centre earns a try cause for a play where there was a complete breakdown through the middle of the field and the poor old centre wasn't quite able to save his teammates' blushes. Either still goes down as a '1' in the try cause column.

It's also important to note that centres who play in defensively sound teams like Melbourne, Cronulla, Brisbane and the Roosters are likely to face fewer tough decisions and broken play runners than the centres in teams with leaky middle defence and who consequently may end up higher on the try-cause list than they otherwise would have.

So who is the best?

With all that said, here at the best five centres by try causes per game in 2017.

graphic_centre-stats_top5.jpg

Given premiers Melbourne's near-impenetrable defence last season there's no surprise to see their two top-string centres at the top of this list. Chambers is a Kangaroos and Origin star and does a stellar job marshalling the Storm's right edge but the real story here is young Curtis Scott. The budding Blues back played 10 games at left centre despite a huge preference for his long-term junior position of right centre. While Cheyse Blair conceded 10 tries in 13 games (0.77 per game) before his injury, his young replacement actually did far better defending in the same system than his more experienced teammate.

"[Scott] was a right-side centre, but with Will here he had to become a left centre, and he did that really, really well," Storm football director Frank Ponissi told NRL.com.

"That might have been a little bit behind any frustrations he experienced [while pushing for a first-grade spot]; he had such a preference for right centre, he played all his junior footy there. But with Will here he had to change over and he's done it quite quickly.

"[His defensive record] doesn't surprise me at all; he works very hard at it."

Both Cowboys centres also recorded outstanding numbers with both Linnett and Justin O'Neill (seven try causes in 17 games at 0.41 per game) in the NRL's top seven defensive centres. In a struggling Bulldogs team, noted defender Josh Morris (12 in 24 games at 0.50 per game and a league-high four try saves) was a standout.

And who needs work?

Unsurprisingly, centres who played for clubs that conceded a lot of tries and finished outside the top eight are concentrated near the top of this list.

graphic_centre-stats_bottom5.jpg

Alarmingly for Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, three of the top five are Tigers players. With their increased depth in the outside backs in 2017, it may mean the end of back-rower Michael Chee-Kam's stint filling in in the centres.

While the numbers also don't look favourable for Titan Dale Copley, on viewing those 25 try causes it's fair to say there were a significant number of those in which he was far from the only culprit. Like Cleary, Titans coach Garth Brennan has a few headaches to deal with – Copley's centre partner Konrad Hurrell had 14 try causes in 16 games at 0.88 per game and new centre recruit Brenko Lee was responsible for 13 try causes in 18 games at Canterbury last season.

"It is no surprise that we were a poor defensive team; part of that is the edge decisions that my edge and both edges of our team were making," Copley told NRL.com.

"Some was about stuff happening inside of us where we were caught short, and some was our own fault.

"But we were down the bottom as a defensive side for a reason. There is no one player [at fault]. It is a team effort. But with a new coach, a new defensive system, new players in key positions and having a full pre-season with the guys we are going to play with I am sure it can be turned around.

"Defence has been a focus in the pre-season because left, right, middle and the guys coming off the bench … we weren't good enough last year. I am sure you could find many stats to back that up."

Among the others who need to brush up a little are Raider Joey Leilua (21 in 24 games at 0.88 per game) and Manly rookie Brian Kelly (20 in 22 at 0.91) who were actually second and third after Copley in terms of most total try causes for the season.

Full table in order of fewest try causes per game to most try causes:

Rank Name 2017 club Matches at centre Try causes Average try causes
1 Will Chambers Storm 20 2 0.1
2 Curtis Scott Storm 10 2 0.2
3 Mitch Aubusson Roosters 10 2 0.2
4 Kurt Mann Dragons 7 2 0.29
5 Kane Linnett Cowboys 23 9 0.39
6 Ryan Matterson Roosters 5 2 0.4
7 Justin O'Neill Cowboys 17 7 0.41
8 Brad Takairangi Eels 18 8 0.44
9 Esan Marsters Wests Tigers 11 5 0.45
10 Josh Morris Bulldogs 24 12 0.5
11 Jack Bird Sharks 16 8 0.5
12 Tim Lafai Bulldogs 24 13 0.54
13 Michael Jennings Eels 21 12 0.57
14 Ricky Leutele Sharks 24 14 0.58
15 Waqa Blake Panthers 20 12 0.6
16 Dylan Walker Sea Eagles 24 15 0.63
17 Jarrod Croker Raiders 22 14 0.64
18 Tautau Moga Broncos 24 16 0.67
19 Kurt Capewell Sharks 9 6 0.67
20 Chase Stanley Bulldogs 6 4 0.67
21 Hymel Hunt Rabbitohs 10 7 0.7
22 Brenko Lee Bulldogs 18 13 0.72
23 Joseph Manu Roosters 15 11 0.73
24 Peter Mata'utia Knights 23 17 0.74
25 Kirisome Auva'a Eels 8 6 0.75
26 Blake Ayshford Warriors 17 13 0.76
27 Cheyse Blair Storm 13 10 0.77
28 James Roberts Broncos 23 18 0.78
29 Tyrone Peachey Panthers 15 12 0.8
30 Roberts Jennings Rabbitohs 11 9 0.82
31 David Fusitua Warriors 12 10 0.83
32 Joey Leilua Raiders 24 21 0.88
33 Konrad Hurrell Titans 16 14 0.88
34 Bryson Goodwin Rabbitohs 8 7 0.88
35 Javid Bowen Cowboys 8 7 0.88
36 Solomone Kata Warriors 19 17 0.89
37 Brian Kelly Sea Eagles 22 20 0.91
38 Euan Aitken Dragons 12 11 0.92
39 Dane Gagai Knights 16 15 0.94
40 Latrell Mitchell Roosters 14 14 1
41 Kevin Naiqama Wests Tigers 13 13 1
42 Dean Whare Panthers 10 10 1
43 Tyrell Fuimaono Rabbitohs 7 7 1
44 Siosifa Talakai Rabbitohs 7 7 1
45 Joe Wardle Knights 6 6 1
46 Aaron Gray Rabbitohs 5 5 1
47 Young Tonumaipea Storm 5 5 1
48 Jarryd Hayne Titans 5 5 1
49 Michael Chee-Kam Wests Tigers 9 11 1.22
50 Moses Suli Wests Tigers 9 12 1.33
51 Dale Copley Titans 16 25 1.56

Kelly responsible for 20 try causes in 22 games.
Some here think that Kelly had a great Season with 20 try assists for the opposition in 22 games . But then again the same people think that the over the hill Brown is a star player who is an automatic selection in our team .
That is North Sydney mediocre mentality .

Its a tough position with attack coming at you anytime so you need to be a solid defender . We have been spoilt , Innes and Hill and more recently Killer and Skiv were all great defenders . For a young bloke like Kelly to be thrust in was always going to be a tough ask , but hopefully has worked on that important part of his game .Also as much as Tom wright may be an attacking player his D will have to go to another level when he gets his chance otherwise he will be found wanting himself . Its a tough game .

Kelly responsible for 20 try causes in 22 games.
Some here think that Kelly had a great Season with 20 try assists for the opposition in 22 games . But then again the same people think that the over the hill Brown is a star player who is an automatic selection in our team .
That is North Sydney mediocre mentality .
Bozo obviously Coach Barrett thinks Brown is an automatic selection in our team and that will do me . Im not having a dig ole friend just stating the obvious mate.

Last edited:
Doesn't necessarily tell the full story... sometimes the issue starts 1 or 2 in from centre and they are the poor bastard who has to make the decision. You need combinations in defence as much as you do in attack.

One on one miss tackles tell the full story . I have seen enough of them to be convinced that Kelly had been a turn style and after BaRRETT persisted with him for over 20 rounds he stood him down . Kelly had enough straight games to develop combinations with our back line .

Last edited:
Bozo obviously Coach Barrett thinks Brown is an automatic selection in our team and that will do me . Im not having a dig ole friend just stating the obviius mate.
That's fine mate . Every one has their say here and your entitled to yours .
Fact is Barrett is a rookie coach and is still learning . End of my post ;)

Last edited:
Walker isnt that bad in my opinion. He puts his body on the line and is really aggressive and gets up in people faces. Love what he brings in defence. This list isnt that telling to be honest, Ive seen Kane Linnett and Kurt Mann get easily beaten out in the centres, matterson isnt even a centre. While on the other end Whare and Aitken are very strong defensively.

Its a tough position with attack coming at you anytime so you need to be a solid defender . We have been spoilt , Innes and Hill and more recently Killer and Skiv were all great defenders . For a young bloke like Kelly to be thrust in was always going to be a tough ask , but hopefully has worked on that important part of his game .Also as much as Tom wright may be an attacking player his D will have to go to another level when he gets his chance otherwise he will be found wanting himself . Its a tough game .
Its only tough for the ones that cant handle the heat when they are thrown in the coliseum .

We need an X factor in the centers with Dylan . Everyone knows what Jono Wright can do and that is very little . Mathew Wright has not been fit to play in any of the trials , so the most logical choice is the fit and ready X factor Kelly .

As i said mate we were spoilt in years gone by .
I agree we were spoilt mate as history has us down as the most successful team in the modern era of the NRL and mediocre players don't do it for me .
Manly does not stand for Mediocre !!!
maxresdefault.jpg

We need an X factor in the centers with Dylan . Everyone knows what Jono Wright can do and that is very little . Mathew Wright has not been fit to play in any of the trials , so the most logical choice is the fit and ready X factor Kelly .
Yer i was a critic of kelly and shouldn't have been so hard on the young fella . I think after his introduction last year he will be ready to step up and very well could be an x factor .

I agree we were spoilt mate as history has us down as the most successful team in the modern era of the NRL and mediocre players don't do it for me .
Manly does not stand for Mediocre !!!
View attachment 7293
That 96 side was my best all time team . I was actually going to start a thread earlier on who is everybody's best team , and this was and is my favourite in my time watching them since 76. There has been some brilliant sides , but for me this was the most complete.

Yer i was a critic of kelly and shouldn't have been so hard on the young fella . I think after his introduction last year he will be ready to step up and very well could be an x factor .
I don't think so mate , from what I have seen he does not have the superior size ,superior strength, superior skill, or the superior speed to be a superior x factor player.
I remember Toovey making his NRL debut at 19 years of age and at 70 kg taking on big forwards . Some players have it and some don't . There is absolutely no sentiment from me for the ones that are turn styles and mediocre . Manly does not stand for mediocre. If these blokes cant handle the heat in league then they can try soccer .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4