The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think so mate , from what I have seen he does not have the superior size ,superior strength, or the superior speed to be a superior x factor player.
I remember Toovey making his NRL debut at 19 years of age and at 70 kg taking on big forwards . Some players have it and some don't . There is absolutely no sentiment from me for the ones that are turn styles and mediocre . Manly does not stand for mediocre. If these blokes cant handle the heat in league then they can try soccer .
Young kelly would have to get better one would think. Your mate Wright is an attacking weapon in the 20s and will have to play with the big boys, and maybe get his chance . He'll be in a similar position to kelly from 17.

Young kelly would have to get better one would think. Your mate Wright is an attacking weapon in the 20s and will have to play with the big boys, and maybe get his chance . He'll be in a similar position to kelly from 17.
Wright is not only my mate he is Trent's mate as well ....
Trent Barrett .....
"THERE IS NO DOUBT TOM IS CERTAINLY A TALENT
HE IS BIG FAST HAS GOOD AWERNESS AND HAS BLINDING SPEED . "

I’ll take the odds on Kelly playing more games than t wright this year assuming they both stay fit. What are you offering @BOZO ??
I don't pick the teams like Barrett does feathered friend . So the odds are out of my control . I would not have had Brown in our top 17 and I would have dropped Kelly earlier than Barrett did . If you like centres that are turn styles in defence that is your prerogative .

Mate have you seen tom Wright’s physicality in defence ?? He makes Kelly look like skivvi
Wrights physicality ? He is bigger than Kelly from what I have seen as Kelly is definitely shorter and I am looking forward to the off season build up where players work on their strength and size . I have confidence that Tom will handle the defence in the NRL trials .
As for you comparing Kelly to skivvi. Now that will do me :giggle:

Last edited:
Handling the defence in the trials against most likely other young centres (some like Wright are up from the 20s) isn't going to be a great indicator that he can stop the likes of Chambers, 1nglis, SKD, Mitchell, Croker, Roberts or any of the seasoned NRL centres he'd come across later on.

I’ll take the odds on Kelly playing more games than t wright this year assuming they both stay fit. What are you offering @BOZO ??

I'm with you on this one C&C. I think Wright will have to bide his time in NSW Cup for a while and Kelly will be first choice for the #4 jumper.

Unless we have another injury season I'm willing to bet that Tom Wright will only play around 5-7 NRL games this year with most of those coming off the bench.

Handling the defence in the trials against most likely other young centres (some like Wright are up from the 20s) isn't going to be a great indicator that he can stop the likes of Chambers, 1nglis, SKD, Mitchell, Croker, Roberts or any of the seasoned NRL centres he'd come across later on.

I'm with you on this one C&C. I think Wright will have to bide his time in NSW Cup for a while and Kelly will be first choice for the #4 jumper.

Unless we have another injury season I'm willing to bet that Tom Wright will only play around 5-7 NRL games this year with most of those coming off the bench.
All hypothetical here mate . How can you say that Tom wont play against established NRL players in trails . This young gun has natural speed and skill other players dream of so unless we see him perform in the trail games its all hypothetical talk. I cant understand how some of you blokes can write any player off without giving the mother fcker his right in the trails to show us what he can and cant do. The fact is many young players were given the opportunity at NRL level after impressing in the trail games by Some astute and proactive coaches.

This alleged 'statistic' is hilarious.
It proves Brian Kelly is a better defensive centre than Dean Whare. Lol.
What does 20 turn style tackles by Kelly that lead to tries in 22 games prove ? I ll tell you what it proves . It proves he's mediocre . I cant stand mediocre players tarnishing our great Manly name . Manly does not stand for mediocre . We have never won a premiership with any of our centres letting in 20 fcking tries in 22 games .
NRL+Rd+16+Dragons+v+Sea+Eagles+kqiOxeyGC__x.jpg

Last edited:
Said it before and have not changed my mind. Brad Parker for mine over Kelly. Can't believe no one has mentioned Parker. Solid defender, runs hard, aggressive nature. My kind of centre.
Definitely mate . Parker is the stronger player over Kelly any day of the week . He has had a bad run with in jury in the last couple of years and hopefully he can stay fit this year .

Said it before and have not changed my mind. Brad Parker for mine over Kelly. Can't believe no one has mentioned Parker. Solid defender, runs hard, aggressive nature. My kind of centre.
He's a brilliant defender, just think that many believe Kelly has a higher potential roof than Parker, so that it may be worth the wait and blind faith to see whether or not he will achieve such heights. Both will likely start the 2018 season (Walker injured) and fight it out

As the article states, and rightly so, not all of the numbers given to each player are necessarily earnt by them alone. Take Whare for example, most would consider him a good defensive centre. These stats state that he is lower on the pecking order than Kelly. Is that so? Probably not.

As the article states, and rightly so, not all of the numbers given to each player are necessarily earnt by them alone. Take Whare for example, most would consider him a good defensive centre. These stats state that he is lower on the pecking order than Kelly. Is that so? Probably not.
Probably not ? If any one knows their footy its most definitely not !

Probably not ? If any one knows their footy its most definitely not !
What then does this make of your castigation of Kelly earlier in the thread?

My next question. Do you rate Tom Wright a better defender than Brian Kelly?

There is no doubt that Tom is talented, big, fast, and strong, as you so eloquently quoted Trent Barrett in another thread. The big question is, can he defend at three or four in the NRL? Now, that is a different question.

What then does this make of your castigation of Kelly earlier in the thread?

My next question. Do you rate Tom Wright a better defender than Brian Kelly?

There is no doubt that Tom is talented, big, fast, and strong, as you so eloquently quoted Trent Barrett in another thread. The big question is, can he defend at three or four in the NRL? Now, that is a different question.
Castigation ? If I had my way I would Castrate any centre with an NRL record letting in 22 tries in 20 games . I don't know about you but I expect high standards from players as a Manly supporter . Manly does not stand for mediocre .
Do I think that Tom is a better defender than Kelly . Yes I do . For a start he has superior speed and he wont be beaten for pace like the slower Kelly has been .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6