Taupau on the move ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Drinking culture wasn't Bazs fault, he didn't have enough staff....
giphy.gif
Hmmmm...maybe that was the need for outdoor furniture? Baz's bonding barbecues?
You lose then you booze.
Would you like a beer?
Yeah...nah...make that yeah.

Actually don "t mind the notion of Marty and Paseka [ if he can adapt sufficiently ] to start as a prop rotation and then A F B to come on fresh and rearing to go as i st prop sub . The requirement then . who can be the suitable additional prop sub for best effect . A rampaging Tanga , a more match fit and aggressive Perrett or Sipley or someone like the mobile Frank Winterstein . Also is the interchange allowance going to be reduced further next season ?, this could naturally be a factor to take into account also . Anyway , still some pretty decent cattle available for the front row contention , hopefully it can all come together well and there will be some decent fire power on offer for the prop positions and rotation come season start for next year .

Zorbs just gave 100% assurance that Marty would be at Manly, he has spoken with Des and will be part of the leadership group.

Also said they was a big drinking culture at the club and not just the playing group....

Marty is a non drinker therefore wasn’t part of the ‘clique’
What?!?!? Not everybody wants to get wasted, strip to their underwear and do push-ups?

I am trying to reconsile this Zorba promoted drinking culture smur with the fact that with the exception of Gladstone, which seemed more personality based and intoxication was not mentioned ..... with the fact that over the past 3 years Manly have been to all intends and purposes off field drama free .... and a shining light in NRL player behavour .......
Except they played like they were always hungover

Are you serious!? Barrett can down a schooner with the best of them. This was easily extended as the go to team bonding method.

I honestly had no idea, since he always looks very fit I assumed he was one of those retired players who still took care of himself & therefore wasnt much of a drinker.

I honestly had no idea, since he always looks very fit I assumed he was one of those retired players who still took care of himself & therefore wasnt much of a drinker.

Don't believe everything that becomes a Silvertails urban myth .... by next week the numbnuts and punchies will have him at a Betty Ford clinic ....... as a country boy I am sure he enjoys a beer on a hot day just like most Aussies ...... suggesting he is a drunk or has a drinking problem is nonsense .....

I recall waiting behind Gifty at the bar in the Harbord Hilton while he bought schooners for half the team that were out in the games room throwing 50's in the pokies with empties lined up .... at 2pm ... and Des was the coach .....

Back in the day most players were 3 parts pissed before they left the change rooms on the free beer supplied ...... FMD we have become a bunch of temperance league wowsers ......

... And a question for the numbnuts .... who was the coach ..... at the infamous season launch that saw a driunken choc abuse and assault a sponsor .... and snake admitting he was intoxicated ... where was Zorba the Moralist and the Punchies decrying our woeful drinking culture then ..... at a bloody season launch for Christo's sake ......

In general, I am not too fussed about players having a few beers. However, the players need to take responsibility for their actions - they are adults.
The stories about Gifty and others having beers and a punt are great, but remember they had runs on the board - they played to a consistently high standard week in, week out and their drinking habits didn’t rate a mention at the time because they performed when it mattered. If players who have not achieved anything in the game (relatively speaking) are “getting on it”, then questions about their drive and commitment innevitably follow.
Now, a lot of people are saying that Des will fix this drinking culture. He may well, but only if the players take responsibility for their own actions. To this end, I suggest the senior players are perhaps more important than the coach in maintaining standards among the playing group as the coach is not always there when the players hang out together.

Now, a lot of people are saying that Des will fix this drinking culture. He may well, but only if the players take responsibility for their own actions. To this end, I suggest the senior players are perhaps more important than the coach in maintaining standards among the playing group as the coach is not always there when the players hang out together.

Agreed and probably the exact reason why Des mentioned that teetotaller Taupau will become a part of the leadership group.

Don't believe everything that becomes a Silvertails urban myth .... by next week the numbnuts and punchies will have him at a Betty Ford clinic ....... as a country boy I am sure he enjoys a beer on a hot day just like most Aussies ...... suggesting he is a drunk or has a drinking problem is nonsense .....

I recall waiting behind Gifty at the bar in the Harbord Hilton while he bought schooners for half the team that were out in the games room throwing 50's in the pokies with empties lined up .... at 2pm ... and Des was the coach .....

Back in the day most players were 3 parts pissed before they left the change rooms on the free beer supplied ...... FMD we have become a bunch of temperance league wowsers ......

I remember in the leans years under sharp sitting at a table with a couple of posters from here and kosef, Terry Randall,Luke dorn, and a few others drinking schooners till the club closed.
Again all on free beer tickets supplied by Zorba, even tooves stayed till after midnight pissed as.

In general, I am not too fussed about players having a few beers. However, the players need to take responsibility for their actions - they are adults.
The stories about Gifty and others having beers and a punt are great, but remember they had runs on the board - they played to a consistently high standard week in, week out and their drinking habits didn’t rate a mention at the time because they performed when it mattered. If players who have not achieved anything in the game (relatively speaking) are “getting on it”, then questions about their drive and commitment innevitably follow.

Everything you say is true and reasonable ... however everything is predicated on the now accepted Urban belief that there is in fact a drinking culture ..... what does that even mean ?

Does it mean that they get together regularly for a couple of quite ones .... does it mean they have full on drinking sessions getting ****-faced and that anybody that doesn't attend is a wimp ?

All this acceptance of a drinking culture yet we have had 3 years of nil alchohol related off field dramas.... if there is a drinking culture it is very well managed and controlled .

I was at the league's club one game day in the mid 80s and was about to leave to watch flegg so about 10:30? I thought I'd grab one more beer and throw 10 in the pokies.
Unknown to me I sat next to cliffy and watched him throw 50 after 50 in while slamming down schooners and ciggies, needless to say he tore it up that afternoon :clap:

Everything you say is true and reasonable ... however everything is predicated on the now accepted Urban belief that there is in fact a drinking culture ..... what does that even mean ?

Does it mean that they get together regularly for a couple of quite ones .... does it mean they have full on drinking sessions getting ****-faced and that anybody that doesn't attend is a wimp ?

All this acceptance of a drinking culture yet we have had 3 years of nil alchohol related off field dramas.... if there is a drinking culture it is very well managed and controlled .
I was proceeding on the basis that there is a poor drinking culture as I read about it on silvertails...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8