Taniela Paseka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2017/12/01/paseka_out_of_comfor.html

Loving this attitude...

Paseka out of comfort zone
Wayne Cousins

Fri 1st December, 03:45PM
1512103658442.jpg

Taniela Paseka knows he's in the right environment at Manly to ensure old habits don’t creep back into his game next season.

The 20-year-old was one of the biggest forwards to have ever played in the Holden Cup competition for his sheer size alone.

A mid-season transfer from the Wests Tigers to the Sea Eagles also brought some unexpected media attention.

In a Sydney Morning Herald in April, a headline read ‘Manly Sea Eagles recruit Taniela Paseka – the biggest thing to hit the NRL’.

It talked how the ‘two-metre, 119-kilogram prop is expected to push for a first-grade debut with the Sea Eagles in the coming months’.

One rival recruitment manager even stated “He reminds me of a young Jason Taumalolo – he's untackleable."

For the softly spoken young Tongan, the media focus was very raw. Suddenly, people expected more.

Paseka made 18 appearances for the Sea Eagles in the U20s competition after making his club debit in round five. An injury in round 26 cruelly saw him miss the finals and the grand final victory.

“I didn’t know how to handle that (media) pressure. But when I arrived here at Manly, the coaching staff definitely put me in my place,’’ Paseka said.

“When I look back on the season, I could have done more. Maybe that (spotlight) was part of the reason. I did get comfortable.

“I took things for granted. I didn’t take advantage of the opportunities I had. I regret that. That won’t be the case next year.

“When I was at the Tigers, I couldn’t see any opportunities for me. I needed a shake up and the move to Manly has been very good for me.

“This is my second pre-season but it’s definitely the hardest. The first month has been tough and Sunday is our only day off. Dan Ferris (Head of Physical Performance) is certainly getting us into shape.

“One of the things Trent Barrett says to the players is not to waste a training session. I need to make the most of my opportunity now because if I don’t, it will go just like that.

Giving Paseka even more added motivation to succeed is the belief Barrett has in him. Now a full-time player, Barrett named Paseka on an extended bench at different times this season.

“I couldn’t believe that I was that close (to playing first grade). Seeing my name on those lists has only made me hungrier,’’ Paseka said.

“With Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake (on holidays after the World Cup), this is my chance to impress the coaches early.

“Apart from working on my defence, I need to be more aggressive and use my size more efficiently. It is all up to me now but I’m loving the challenge here at Manly.”

@globaleagle

Out of 10, what mark would you give this piece of inspired writing ....

"The 20-year-old was one of the biggest forwards to have ever played in the Holden Cup competition for his sheer size alone."

"

If you wrote it - I'd assume you were taking the 'p' out of someone.

If someone's 3 year old wrote it, I'd say 6...for encouragement.

As a sports 'journo' wrote it, I'd have to give kudos to them finding their office in the first place.

But maybe their trained monkey wrote it, and I feel sorry for the chimps having to produce such banal drivel.

I've had just about enough of this guy. He's just leaving me cold. Watch that youngster Stephano Utoikamanu at the Tigers who is 5kg lighter and 6cm shorter than Paseka. He gives it his all. But Paseka is no guts, no impact just powderpuff stuff. Time to move him on if he can't find some fuking grit and guts.

Des was giving the evil look after the game in the sheds.
Happy to move all 3 props on! Tent, Tepau and Josh A can all leave.

Des was giving the evil look after the game in the sheds.
Happy to move all 3 props on! Tent, Tepau and Josh A can all leave.
I think Aloia is the right type of forward for the current rules...he has leg speed and plays up tempo...he just needs to cut some of the **** out of game.

The rest of the pack besides Haumole and Jake can **** off.

I've had just about enough of this guy. He's just leaving me cold. Watch that youngster Stephano Utoikamanu at the Tigers who is 5kg lighter and 6cm shorter than Paseka. He gives it his all. But Paseka is no guts, no impact just powderpuff stuff. Time to move him on if he can't find some fuking grit and guts.
Thought it only right to watch the Tigers game before commenting.
I think you are creating a narrative to suit your agenda.
Utoikamanu ran with intent?Best of intentions mean Jack if 9 times out of 10 you are getting stopped dead at the point of contact.
If he wore a Sea Eagles jersey you would be bagging him as a plodder.
His lack of impact was highlighted more by the fact that the Storm pack was missing Bromwich,Kamikamica and Smith was gone after a minute,they played at no where near the intensity or level of the Panthers.
He will probably get a blues jersey at some point because Fittler has a hard on for him,his highlight of the game was the beautiful offload straight to a Storm defender.
If Paseka had done that you would have made a dozen posts bagging him.

Thought it only right to watch the Tigers game before commenting.
I think you are creating a narrative to suit your agenda.
Utoikamanu ran with intent?Best of intentions mean Jack if 9 times out of 10 you are getting stopped dead at the point of contact.
If he wore a Sea Eagles jersey you would be bagging him as a plodder.
His lack of impact was highlighted more by the fact that the Storm pack was missing Bromwich,Kamikamica and Smith was gone after a minute,they played at no where near the intensity or level of the Panthers.
He will probably get a blues jersey at some point because Fittler has a hard on for him,his highlight of the game was the beautiful offload straight to a Storm defender.
If Paseka had done that you would have made a dozen posts bagging him.
At least he offloaded. Don't remember any offloads from Paseka for a year. For a guy with his size he should be offloading multiple times a game.

At least he offloaded. Don't remember any offloads from Paseka for a year. For a guy with his size he should be offloading multiple times a game.
Been a big supporter of Taniela since he arrived from tigers. Continuing disappointment with his lack of aggression and intimidation particularly in defence. I think he may be running out of time to cement a place in our forwards....and in our club. I really hope I am wrong but can only go based on what I have seen and continue to see from him. I think he has the size and ability to be the #1 prop in the game but seriously short of aggression and fear factor. Would not scare a fly off a pork chop atm!!!

The best thing for Taniela may be if Radley whacks him.
I suspect opposition are always firmly instructed not to rile the big guy up, but Radley is such an idiot he might do it anyway, and an angry Paseka is what we'd love to see.
Sorry Taniela @:D

There were countless times he trampled people last year and hammered a few more in defense,but don't let reality interfere.
The absolute highlight was running through the Titans defense from a kickoff and then at full speed putting a kick in for Walker who re-gathered it,gee wonder how many other props have done that.....

How long do we have to keep saying that he has the size, strength and skill do be the most dominant prop in the NRL ... if he could ever shake the Gentle Giant tag???

The guy is in his 5th year in the NRL, his 5th year with Manly. Isn't it about time he started to actually play to that potential we all know he has?? Either that or step aside for someone who will.

Here we go again. Another Silvertails pile on in action. Clearly Paseka is now the new whipping boy of choice. Give yourselves a few quick uppercuts for achieving the status of negative numbnut flogs, after only ONE round.

As said above, he has the potential to be the most dominant prop in the game.

But how long do we have to say it before he consistently plays to that potential?? Seriously mate, we've been saying it since he first played 1st grade for us in 2018, his NRL debut. Its now 2022.

When is he going to play like we know he can??

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8