Taniela Paseka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
It’s called training and believe me, it’s coached into players as early as Harold Matt’s...comparing dinosaur park football with the NRL is ludicrous.
Then No wonder 50 point scorelines are common today ... I would suggest then that the best tacklers in the game today are the ones that ignore that rubbish and adjust their technique to the situation in front of them.

Yeah , Davey is the unknown at present in terms of what he may be able to bring to the pack [ did he play on the week end with Black Town ? ] still like the notion of Shu [ 13 ] Haumole and bully in the 2 nd row , Jake to prop and Walker coming on to give Croker a spell and play big minutes as a 9 , [ Walker can still revert to his roving role to if Croker has some bigger minutes and can vary and improve his running game a bit ]
Yes Davey played for Blacktown and scored the only try!

If Davey was any more than a middling prospect he would’ve debuted much earlier than 28. That’s not to say he can’t play a role and be a valuable squad member. I’m just amazed by the amount of people who see him as some lynchpin and silver bullet solution to what we have been missing

They train for more than one scenario. Do you think it’s a coincidence that players across the code seem to use the same techniques? There’s a guy running with the ball, they don’t need to adjust to a flightier jet coming onto the field...

Good lord .. more than one technique you say .. happy days .... so not ever tackle requires 2 feet firmly grounded, and that they actually adjust to different situations ... I think that is what I recommended they do.

Good lord .. more than one technique you say .. happy days .... so not ever tackle requires 2 feet firmly grounded, and that they actually adjust to different situations ... I think that is what I recommended they do.
We were talking about the middle defenders and planting their feet for contact, which is how they’re coached. Anyway, I can’t be bothered when you’re in one of these moods. Have a good day mate 👍

Then No wonder 50 point scorelines are common today ... I would suggest then that the best tacklers in the game today are the ones that ignore that rubbish and adjust their technique to the situation in front of them.
I have to say.... defenders these days have absolutely no idea of how to position themselves, how to keep their heads safe, how to stay balanced, how to move as the attacker moves, how to time a tackle, how to get up off the line to put a hit on and certainly have absolutely no concept to be able to drive up underneath the ball or if the attacker turns side on to under the ribs. Jake is one of the very very few who can do it - along with Radley. There is simply no substitute for technique and I am sure that even as a dinosaur my technique would still be relevant today because if you have technique no matter how small you are or how big they are you can still hit them and make sure the only thing they are worried about is how fast the ground is coming towards them as they go base over apex.

If Davey was any more than a middling prospect he would’ve debuted much earlier than 28. That’s not to say he can’t play a role and be a valuable squad member. I’m just amazed by the amount of people who see him as some lynchpin and silver bullet solution to what we have been missing
I certainly don't think he is the messiah but he has that grit and trench warfare attitude we badly need out there. He might not be the guy quality wise but his attitude is Jake like and we absolutely have to find at least one other forward with that mentality.

I have to say.... defenders these days have absolutely no idea of how to position themselves, how to keep their heads safe, how to stay balanced, how to move as the attacker moves, how to time a tackle, how to get up off the line to put a hit on and certainly have absolutely no concept to be able to drive up underneath the ball or if the attacker turns side on to under the ribs. Jake is one of the very very few who can do it - along with Radley. There is simply no substitute for technique and I am sure that even as a dinosaur my technique would still be relevant today because if you have technique no matter how small you are or how big they are you can still hit them and make sure the only thing they are worried about is how fast the ground is coming towards them as they go base over apex.

Thing is .. the single greatest advantage a tackler can have, is the opportunity of hitting a ball runner at a time, and at a point of contact of his choosing, rather than having to make contact whenever he can.

This mobility is as equally important to a tackler as it is to a ball runner.

This is why Igor was so good, as an ex-centre he was generally faster than opposing forwards and was able to adjust where he made contact .. either up early or allowing them a couple of yards so he could hit them at a 45 degree angle and smash them.

But the point is that he hit them when and where he choose to hit them.

Thing is .. the single greatest advantage a tackler can have, is the opportunity of hitting a ball runner at a time, and at a point of contact of his choosing, rather than having to make contact whenever he can.

This mobility is as equally important to a tackler as it is to a ball runner.

This is why Igor was so good, as an ex-centre he was generally faster than opposing forwards and was able to adjust where he made contact .. either up early or allowing them a couple of yards so he could hit them at a 45 degree angle and smash them.

But the point is that he hit them when and where he choose to hit them.
If you have technique you can sometimes force the runner to change direction to suit how you want to tackle and where you want them to be or because you have studied them... you wait for them to do their "thing" and you make the tackle in the style that suits that situation. I used to love knowing someone say stepped off the left and would wait until they did just that and you would leave just enough room to encourage them to dust that... then bang them as they did. The headknocks now are primarly because the defender just has no technique. Yes they are fitter and stronger and that creates more of a challenge but technique and Jake proves it every week, technique will win you the ruck battle.

I was thinking about the Taupau, AFB dominance period the other day and I think there are a couple of interesting thoughts around it...

I remember they would tear the opposition apart but we would only score 6-12 points max because (a) we were coached by Barrett for a large part of it, (b) DCE was playing without a dominant 6 and (c) Tom was always injured.
I remember our attack being really poor during that period and I think if we had a fit Tom and some of the other pieces of the puzzle (Foran, speed on edges, etc.) we could have really taken advantage of a good pack in those days.

Now it seems, we finally have some strike but the pack are not up to it, week in, week out. So yeah, I really think the problem was not so much who came on when the big guns went off (of course it did drop off, but that happens to the opposition who rotate their pack as well) it was more the fact that we hadn’t converted the field position and momentum into points...suddenly the opposition look up and they’re right in the game, even though they’ve taken a battering.
its not so much the scoreboard initially as the fight for possession that ultimately decides the scoreboard on most occasions. while i see some barrett issues we remain toothless in the fight for possesion over a continued period.

regardless of our forwards, the rotation or the props we were losing the ability to compete against fancier opponents as we refuse to adopt the game required year after year. the afb/marty years were littered with games where they just didnt touch the ball much . starved

this is the difference between us and the best sides

forward dominance is a must, but a platform has multi facets and apart from forward dominance , kicking game and decision making are almost as important

the fact remains that in the first 15 minutes we matched them , had 5 penalties to nil, a repeat set and they looked more likely. WTF is that . i get the riff were switched on but we couldnt manufacture much off the back of that

the top sides all have kicking games and not kickers that compliment the forwards, rewards forwards and hand respite to there forwards on a regular basis and we do not. if we dont blow teams away early you can see them brace because they know they cant keep it up for 80

HELP WANTED
kicking game and plan that the team can rely on as integral PART OF PLATFORM

I certainly don't think he is the messiah but he has that grit and trench warfare attitude we badly need out there. He might not be the guy quality wise but his attitude is Jake like and we absolutely have to find at least one other forward with that mentality.
Agreed. Davey offers something different than most of our other forwards so the suggestion is he can offer better balance to the pack.

Davey has had a horrific run of injuries and set backs in his early 20s hence his late promotion to 1st grade. He was always destined for the NRL as he was one of the stand outs in the lower grades.
Not every player has the cookie cutter introduction into the nrl as you expect.
This guy can play !

People ... note to selves.

This is Dessie's 4th year in total charge .. what we have is what Des has given us ...

Now he may well be working towards another premiership ...

But how the team is playing is exactly the way he has coached them to play .... or are you saying he is incompetent or that the players are ignoring him??

I actually think it’s a confidence thing with big Paseka. I feel like his confidence drops coming off the bench. Start him, give him a heap of minutes and I think in a few games he’d be a different player…
Paseka has played his best games for us as a starting prop. As has Keppie..... Des needs to settle on the bench rotation, which CANNOT include both Walker and Lawton (once Schuster returns).
Walker
Bullemore/Davey
Aloiai
Sipley/Taupau

Davey has had a horrific run of injuries and set backs in his early 20s hence his late promotion to 1st grade. He was always destined for the NRL as he was one of the stand outs in the lower grades.
Not every player has the cookie cutter introduction into the nrl as you expect.
This guy can play !
agreed totally

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10