Taniela Paseka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Think that Paseka is one of the few Manly forwards who can consistently make a difference with good go forward and especially post contact meters . Even more so when the side is under pressure. Really can not fault his defensive work rate as well . Olokatu - atu is the most effective attacking Manly forward , then Paseka with Keppie occasionally providing it . [ naturally excluding currently Schuster and Bulemor gives every indication of being right up there with a bit more game time ] Paseka was good in the trials , reasonable effort against the Panthers , a good season last year and sure that he can repeat it again this season .

Think that Paseka is one of the few Manly forwards who can consistently make a difference with good go forward and especially post contact meters . Even more so when the side is under pressure. Really can not fault his defensive work rate as well . Olokatu - atu is the most effective attacking Manly forward , then Paseka with Keppie occasionally providing it . [ naturally excluding currently Schuster and Bulemor gives every indication of being right up there with a bit more game time ] Paseka was good in the trials , reasonable effort against the Panthers , a good season last year and sure that he can repeat it again this season .
Al, I agree in regards to his attack with the ball in hand. My comments above related to his defence and specifically the lack of aggression and intimidation. He tackles well and does not miss many however with respect, they all look like powder puff stuff. There is no anger....no aggro. I think that's what our team needs and that's what he needs. The suggestion of starting him and putting the pressure on him to deliver I think is a good one. After 5 years WIP time to throw him in the deep end.

I was thinking about the Taupau, AFB dominance period the other day and I think there are a couple of interesting thoughts around it...

I remember they would tear the opposition apart but we would only score 6-12 points max because (a) we were coached by Barrett for a large part of it, (b) DCE was playing without a dominant 6 and (c) Tom was always injured.
I remember our attack being really poor during that period and I think if we had a fit Tom and some of the other pieces of the puzzle (Foran, speed on edges, etc.) we could have really taken advantage of a good pack in those days.

Now it seems, we finally have some strike but the pack are not up to it, week in, week out. So yeah, I really think the problem was not so much who came on when the big guns went off (of course it did drop off, but that happens to the opposition who rotate their pack as well) it was more the fact that we hadn’t converted the field position and momentum into points...suddenly the opposition look up and they’re right in the game, even though they’ve taken a battering.
The problem is not that they all aren't decent players... Sipley, Paseka, Keppie are all well above average players. Marty is still a quality prop, Jake and O top shelf, Croker sadly a tough nut but well below first grade standard as a hooker. Aloiai - again quality when his head is screwed on, Schuster top quality, Bullemor looks a good prospect. So as individuals besides the hooker we have a very very decent forward pack. The problem lies in the mix of the forwards being picked and the props being all of the same style. None are high energy, high work rate, bend the line and offload props. They will cart the ball up, make yards, do their tackles... Keppie and Aloiai can put on a hit but all of them wont mop up, they struggle to cover off inside, they wont make 40 tackles per game, they can only go in probably 20 minute stints. Therein lies the problem... somehow we need to get another quality workhorse into the pack. Even from the bench and we also need a prop who can dominate, bend the line and offload. Aloiai and Marty both can do it but seem reluctant to offload for fear of an error and Des' wrath I gather. Now Davey is a workhorse but is he still up with the speed and how is his knee? The smashing.... offloading prop well I don't think we have one. But yes we have cookie cutter props... essentailly all the same. If we get the "mix" of the style of forwards better then we will have better outcomes. And the hooker well therein lies our biggest dilemma.

Al, I agree in regards to his attack with the ball in hand. My comments above related to his defence and specifically the lack of aggression and intimidation. He tackles well and does not miss many however with respect, they all look like powder puff stuff. There is no anger....no aggro. I think that's what our team needs and that's what he needs. The suggestion of starting him and putting the pressure on him to deliver I think is a good one. After 5 years WIP time to throw him in the deep end.
Certainly can see where you are coming from with the intimidation and aggression factor [ or not that dominant in his case ] with Tent and do acknowledge that aspect of his game , Although also definitely does not lack effort and maybe his current playing style will not change that much . Mentioned previously that think that it would be better to have Jake as a prop , with Paseka and Keppie and who ever else can measure up from the remaining prop grouping .

The problem is not that they all aren't decent players... Sipley, Paseka, Keppie are all well above average players. Marty is still a quality prop, Jake and O top shelf, Croker sadly a tough nut but well below first grade standard as a hooker. Aloiai - again quality when his head is screwed on, Schuster top quality, Bullemor looks a good prospect. So as individuals besides the hooker we have a very very decent forward pack. The problem lies in the mix of the forwards being picked and the props being all of the same style. None are high energy, high work rate, bend the line and offload props. They will cart the ball up, make yards, do their tackles... Keppie and Aloiai can put on a hit but all of them wont mop up, they struggle to cover off inside, they wont make 40 tackles per game, they can only go in probably 20 minute stints. Therein lies the problem... somehow we need to get another quality workhorse into the pack. Even from the bench and we also need a prop who can dominate, bend the line and offload. Aloiai and Marty both can do it but seem reluctant to offload for fear of an error and Des' wrath I gather. Now Davey is a workhorse but is he still up with the speed and how is his knee? The smashing.... offloading prop well I don't think we have one. But yes we have cookie cutter props... essentailly all the same. If we get the "mix" of the style of forwards better then we will have better outcomes. And the hooker well therein lies our biggest dilemma.
Yeah , Davey is the unknown at present in terms of what he may be able to bring to the pack [ did he play on the week end with Black Town ? ] still like the notion of Shu [ 13 ] Haumole and bully in the 2 nd row , Jake to prop and Walker coming on to give Croker a spell and play big minutes as a 9 , [ Walker can still revert to his roving role to if Croker has some bigger minutes and can vary and improve his running game a bit ]

I was thinking about the Taupau, AFB dominance period the other day and I think there are a couple of interesting thoughts around it...

I remember they would tear the opposition apart but we would only score 6-12 points max because (a) we were coached by Barrett for a large part of it, (b) DCE was playing without a dominant 6 and (c) Tom was always injured.
I remember our attack being really poor during that period and I think if we had a fit Tom and some of the other pieces of the puzzle (Foran, speed on edges, etc.) we could have really taken advantage of a good pack in those days.

Now it seems, we finally have some strike but the pack are not up to it, week in, week out. So yeah, I really think the problem was not so much who came on when the big guns went off (of course it did drop off, but that happens to the opposition who rotate their pack as well) it was more the fact that we hadn’t converted the field position and momentum into points...suddenly the opposition look up and they’re right in the game, even though they’ve taken a battering.

Yawn 🥱

F = ma. Thus, if one guy is running full tilt and the opposition plant their feet for contact, then the guy running the ball is gonna be at an advantage. Of course there are more defenders but they aren’t glued together so the guy with the ball runs between defenders (why do you think late footwork is so valuable in the modern game? To wedge between defenders) and it’s called ‘dual contact’...he doesn’t run front on into three guys at the same time because you know, it’s not physically possible to stand where someone else is standing...you get that?

Also, we got pumped on the weekend so I reckon Des might just want a bit more out his forwards, which is all most of us are saying.
Oh dear you are confused....he is running full tilt into the defense but using late footwork to get between defenders....ever tried that feat yourself?
Defenders don't actually stop moving forward(for front on defense) as you are taught early that you will get stepped,you keep moving forward and drop and put in the shoulder,it is what you get taught as a kid,do you get that?
Two guys can hit at the same time without being in the same spot,two people coming at a target from two angles can be done and can contact at the same time... Do you get that?
You are not saying you and others are wanting a little more from the forwards,you are outright bagging him and the other forwards,I believe your words were to keep Jake and Olakau'atu and the rest could **** off.
Don't backtrack now........

Only four players average 2 offloads a game last year, none averaged 3.

You're a tough marker if a pass mark is to be the best offloader in the league
More so that 1.33 average just isn't good enough. We desperately lack 2nd phase play against the top sides. His size should be able to provide that otherwise with no creativity from dummy half we can't just throw it to Turbo and hope. Penrith killed us with offloads and 2nd phase play.

We should hire blocker roach to tell Paseka how big he is before every game. He would be paid a sausage roll and a pie 1 a week and his role would include motivational 1 on 1 talks, text messages before after and during the game and a spot on the Lowes ad

We should hire blocker roach to tell Paseka how big he is before every game. He would be paid a sausage roll and a pie 1 a week and his role would include motivational 1 on 1 talks, text messages before after and during the game and a spot on the Lowes ad
Can’t the kid just look in a mirror! It would be cheaper!

Just sayin’

Oh dear you are confused....he is running full tilt into the defense but using late footwork to get between defenders....ever tried that feat yourself?
Defenders don't actually stop moving forward(for front on defense) as you are taught early that you will get stepped,you keep moving forward and drop and put in the shoulder,it is what you get taught as a kid,do you get that?
Two guys can hit at the same time without being in the same spot,two people coming at a target from two angles can be done and can contact at the same time... Do you get that?
You are not saying you and others are wanting a little more from the forwards,you are outright bagging him and the other forwards,I believe your words were to keep Jake and Olakau'atu and the rest could **** off.
Don't backtrack now........
I’d like to keep Haumole and Jake and the rest can **** off and yes I’m bagging them because they keep getting dominated...I’d like to see more from them.

At point of contact, both feet much be planted. They don’t run and tackle mid stride or they’d get steamrolled. I mentioned dual contact in my original post...meaning they hit at the same time, so not confused, just disputing your idea that it’s front on...if they are coming from two different angles than they both can’t be front on, which was my original point, that you’ve inadvertently supported for me...thanks.

Last edited:
Taniela Paseka is a machine. One of my favourites. Still so young. He was at his best in the Barrett era just before his bad injury, and is slowly getting back there. He ran much more freely before then. He'll be one of our best.for a very long time. Not every forward has to be aggressive. Just need a good mix. Nathan Brown is playing Reggie's for the Eels. Can we get him in somehow?

I’d like to keep Haumole and Jake and the rest can **** off and yes I’m bagging them because they keep getting dominated...I’d like to see more from them.

At point of contact, both feet much be planted. They don’t run and tackle mid stride or they’d get steamrolled. I mentioned dual contact in my original post...meaning they hit at the same time, so not confused, just disputing your idea that it’s front on...if they are coming from two different angles than they both can’t be front on, which was my original point, that you’ve inadvertently supported for me...thanks.
They are still moving forward(momentum),you are saying all people stop to make a tackle front on....You have never seen 2 guys hit someone together side by side,that is what hunting as a pack is about,watch more footy....if in your mind that means guys coming at 45 degree angles then go watch some footage of the game....do you think front on means directly perpendicular in front?Geeeeez.....
2 guys shoulder to shoulder or within 30 cm of each other is front on,the force is coming from the front,do you think it is coming from the side?

They are still moving forward(momentum),you are saying all people stop to make a tackle front on....You have never seen 2 guys hit someone together side by side,that is what hunting as a pack is about,watch more footy....if in your mind that means guys coming at 45 degree angles then go watch some footage of the game....do you think front on means directly perpendicular in front?Geeeeez.....
2 guys shoulder to shoulder or within 30 cm of each other is front on,the force is coming from the front,do you think it is coming from the side?
I’m just saying the guy with the ball is running full tilt and the defenders have to steady themselves at contact...they plant their feet on contact through the middle to halt momentum. I don’t mean flat footed before contact; it’s a split second on contact; NRL coaches call it ‘staying tall’ with ‘shoulders square’ and ‘keeping your feet’ which is the planting I speak of. The edge defenders usually have to deal with more space so they don’t get the same luxury of planting feet, which is why when centres are able to get on the outside of their man, the momentum carriers them over the try line (see Mago’s try on Friday night as an example).

Of course defenders hit from either side simultaneously (I’ve mentioned dual contact three times now)...I’m talking about your idea that a runner is met by a combined force of three players...if that was the case, you’d never see a prop dent the line EVER...it’s clear that the combined weight of the defenders involves many variables (angles, timing, steadying for contact, body position) that when considered, allow the guy with the ball (who is running full tilt) to combat this weight disadvantage.

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed our little debate. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. Have a good day 👍

Last edited:
I’m just saying the guy with the ball is running full tilt and the defenders have to steady themselves at contact...they plant their feet on contact through the middle to halt momentum. I don’t mean flat footed before contact; it’s a split second on contact; NRL coaches call it ‘staying tall’ with ‘shoulders square’ and ‘keeping your feet’ which is the planting I speak of. The edge defenders usually have to deal with more space so they don’t get the same luxury of planting feet, which is why when centres are able to get on the outside of their man, the momentum carriers them over the try line (see Mago’s try on Friday night as an example).

Of course defenders hit from either side simultaneously (I’ve mentioned dual contact three times now)...I’m talking about your idea that a runner is met by a combined force of three players...if that was the case, you’d never see a prop dent the line EVER...it’s clear that the combined weight of the defenders involves many variables (angles, timing, steadying for contact, body position) that when considered, allow the guy with the ball (who is running full tilt) to combat this weight disadvantage.

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed our little debate. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. Have a good day 👍
At what point in our chat did I say that every tackle is made by 3 players?
Of course not every tackle is made by 3 players,that is why they make ground,some guys don't get good position as well etc ..I have not said that it does,but again feel free to take license with what is said.
My point that the Panthers were able to get 3 people into a tackle and use their force to stop our guys dead happened,if you decide to not accept that,fine.
Expecting a guy who is 5-6 kgs heavier to run over the top of everyone is ridiculous.

When I was playing I would have loved to play against a defender who had predetermined how he was going to stand, and how he was going to place his feet to contact me ..

At what point in our chat did I say that every tackle is made by 3 players?
Of course not every tackle is made by 3 players,that is why they make ground,some guys don't get good position as well etc ..I have not said that it does,but again feel free to take license with what is said.
My point that the Panthers were able to get 3 people into a tackle and use their force to stop our guys dead happened,if you decide to not accept that,fine.
Expecting a guy who is 5-6 kgs heavier to run over the top of everyone is ridiculous.
All good mate 👍

When I was playing I would have loved to play against a defender who had predetermined how he was going to stand, and how he was going to place his feet to contact me ..
It’s called training and believe me, it’s coached into players as early as Harold Matt’s...comparing dinosaur park football with the NRL is ludicrous.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8