Post-Game Discussion Souths V Manly [Round 16, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Game Information

Rabbitohs
Vs
Sea Eagles
14 Accor Stadium
22 Jun 2024 19:35
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Positives: We've kept alive an almost two year unbeaten streak of not being able to keep a team to 10 or less !!

We kept two teams to less than 10 points twice last year:

Round 7 - Friday 14th April 2023

Full Time

Sea Eagles: 18
Storm: 8

Venue: 4 Pines Park, Sydney

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1 - Saturday 4th March 2023

Full Time

Sea Eagles: 31
Bulldogs: 6

Venue: 4 Pines Park, Sydney

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle 1

First Grader
Navale looks promising, glad he got a debut.
James is not ready yet, hoped for a little more from him.
I thought Paulo went OK, I know he's a whipping boy here but he does have some ability I think.
Glad to see Toff played, when in form he is a big player for us.
Manly didn't lack effort but aside from that looked terrible!
Luckily we should get some troops back after the bye, we'll need them.
Yeah, some good positives tonight. Very impressed with Navale and the return to form from Sips.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That was such a frustrating game to watch and made a whole lot worse by Voss & Brandy's one-sided commentary. Still at 8-0 with 10 mins left, we were so close and yet so far. I couldn't believe all Brooks could do was kick bombs down the LHS - no grubbers, banana kicks, 40/20's, or anything other than bombs!

Have to say there was plenty of effort but unfortunately we missed having a true halfback to swing it for us. Condon was underwhelming, as was James, but the rest of the forwards stood up and did their best. Lehi continues to play very well for a young and inexperienced FB. Lawton, Talau and Brown were probably our best. Sips and Waddell were outstanding to play injured.

Navale had a very good debut game and I'm amazed nobody's mentioned Schoupp, who tried hard and I thought was impressive.

Bravo to the poor fans who made the trek to Homebush in the rain only to see us lose like that.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Regulars missing from the team last night were: Tom Trbojevic, Taniela Paseka, Lachlan Croker, Reuben Garrick, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Trbojevic, Haumole Olakau'atu and Josh Aloiai.

That's at least 8 regulars, 7 of them regular starters (counting Aloiai more as a bench prop).

We also went into the game with only 1 regular half. And not the one who is the usual organizer or main kicker. I said before the game not to expect miracles out of Luke Brooks last night. He's a running 5/8 and being the main play maker takes him out of his comfort zone.

That we scored zero points really isn't surprising.

That Jamie Humphreys never really came into consideration for playing half was surprising. That we named a 2nd rower/hooker at half, then played a centre/winger there instead of bringing up the NSW Cup halfback ... shows that there is little to no confidence in the kid.

There were some positives. Only letting in 14 points against an in-form team like Souths, even if they didn't have Latrell Mitchell or Cam Murray, was a decent defensive effort. I'm disappointed in the loss and in not scoring a point, but on paper Souths should have done to us what the Titans did to the Wahs. Our 2nd stringers stood up in defence. Not perfect sure, but I can see where Seibold would be proud of the effort level there.

Just one question ... other than his speed, what exactly does Tolu Koula add to this team?? Statistically his defence is actually worse than Reuben Garrick's while his defensive reads last night would have had people calling for him to either be moved to the wing, or to NSW Cup, if it had been Garrick. And TBH he really has an average passing game. If anyone should be on the wing with Talau playing centre ... its Koula IMO.

Overall last night wasn't good. Our attacked sucked. But like last week we showed ticker and our defence managed to keep a team with Origin level halves and the games 2nd greatest ever try scorer, to a largely respectable 14 points. Not bad with all the outs we had.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Gee I feel sorry for Brooks. He is being absolutely hammered for something that isn’t his fault

Our pack on paper was always going to struggle, and those were the absolute worst conditions possible for that pack to operate, and that’s what he had to play with. And he was obviously given a very specific game plan to execute, which I believe he followed to the letter. Could he have gone stuff this and done his own thing, yes, but harder to do the first year under a coach

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Gee I feel sorry for Brooks. He is being absolutely hammered for something that isn’t his fault

Our pack on paper was always going to struggle, and those were the absolute worst conditions possible for that pack to operate, and that’s what he had to play with. And he was obviously given a very specific game plan to execute, which I believe he followed to the letter. Could he have gone stuff this and done his own thing, yes, but harder to do the first year under a coach
He was given no halfback to take some of the organising pressure. Why does this club clearly have no succession plan for our 35 year old halfback. We've gone 5 years with no decent #9 and now we have no halfback to step up yet we just let go of Weekes.

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
He was given no halfback to take some of the organising pressure. Why does this club clearly have no succession plan for our 35 year old halfback. We've gone 5 years with no decent #9 and now we have no halfback to step up yet we just let go of Weekes.

Yeah was dumb not picking Humphreys today but seriously Mick do you really think weekes would have made any difference to the result today. The succession plan for DCE is a concern. But what I have seen of Bunting he looks a good player as is young Alexander although a way off.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Regulars missing from the team last night were: Tom Trbojevic, Taniela Paseka, Lachlan Croker, Reuben Garrick, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Trbojevic, Haumole Olakau'atu and Josh Aloiai.

That's at least 8 regulars, 7 of them regular starters (counting Aloiai more as a bench prop).

We also went into the game with only 1 regular half. And not the one who is the usual organizer or main kicker. I said before the game not to expect miracles out of Luke Brooks last night. He's a running 5/8 and being the main play maker takes him out of his comfort zone.

That we scored zero points really isn't surprising.

That Jamie Humphreys never really came into consideration for playing half was surprising. That we named a 2nd rower/hooker at half, then played a centre/winger there instead of bringing up the NSW Cup halfback ... shows that there is little to no confidence in the kid.

There were some positives. Only letting in 14 points against an in-form team like Souths, even if they didn't have Latrell Mitchell or Cam Murray, was a decent defensive effort. I'm disappointed in the loss and in not scoring a point, but on paper Souths should have done to us what the Titans did to the Wahs. Our 2nd stringers stood up in defence. Not perfect sure, but I can see where Seibold would be proud of the effort level there.

Just one question ... other than his speed, what exactly does Tolu Koula add to this team?? Statistically his defence is actually worse than Reuben Garrick's while his defensive reads last night would have had people calling for him to either be moved to the wing, or to NSW Cup, if it had been Garrick. And TBH he really has an average passing game. If anyone should be on the wing with Talau playing centre ... its Koula IMO.

Overall last night wasn't good. Our attacked sucked. But like last week we showed ticker and our defence managed to keep a team with Origin level halves and the games 2nd greatest ever try scorer, to a largely respectable 14 points. Not bad with all the outs we had.
I think Koula is the most obvious choice to drop for the next game - rather than Hoppa Mk.V - if the ‘Great White Hope’ returns as planned. With the latter playing in the centres.

But then I’m not the coach.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Navale had a very good debut game and I'm amazed nobody's mentioned Schoupp, who tried hard and I thought was impressive.
Yeah Schoup looked quite strong and willing, a good depth signing.

@HoldenV8 I think you're a bit harsh on Koula, pretty sure he's another who has been helping the side by playing injured. If he's not recovered after the bye give him some time off.

Burbo also looked very ragged last night, both those guys will benefit from the bye but at this stage I'd pick Lawton at 2nd row and put Burbo back to the bench. Lawton is playing great and will want to impress his future teammates at the Cows.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Gee certain Souths players, I’m looking at you ‘Phantom’, were allowed a lot of leeway by ‘Uncle Terry’ Butler last night.

Walker is a grub, who then parades his kids around at full time as if to say, “Look, I’m really a nice family man!”

IMG_9893.jpeg

Uncle Terry Moody

IMG_9894.jpeg

‘Uncle Terry’ Butler

10-3 penalty count against Manly. Souths should have scored 2-3 more tries with that sort of leg up.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
That was such a frustrating game to watch and made a whole lot worse by Voss & Brandy's one-sided commentary. Still at 8-0 with 10 mins left, we were so close and yet so far. I couldn't believe all Brooks could do was kick bombs down the LHS - no grubbers, banana kicks, 40/20's, or anything other than bombs!

Have to say there was plenty of effort but unfortunately we missed having a true halfback to swing it for us. Condon was underwhelming, as was James, but the rest of the forwards stood up and did their best. Lehi continues to play very well for a young and inexperienced FB. Lawton, Talau and Brown were probably our best. Sips and Waddell were outstanding to play injured.

Bravo to the poor fans who made the trek to Homebush in the rain only to see us lose like that.
I thought Schoupp was one of our best. His defence was excellent and they couldn’t get around our right edge. I thought Johnson would score a hat trick before kickoff.

Tslog

Koula has his best game at fullback vs Broncos, but hasn’t played back there since. Hoppa Jr isn’t looking close to being anywhere near as good, but keeps getting picked there….absolute Clown coach.
Manly best weapon this game Koula was relegated to doing hit ups, which is in part thanks to Brooks who’s got no passing game.

Eagle 1

First Grader

I sometimes question the benefits of just putting up a bomb. Why not try a grubber through the line with Koula or Lehi following through, it might not work every time, but better than just handing it back to them.

Marto1970

Reserve Grader
Effort was great from most of the players really tried hard , but execution was poor , seemed everytime we got in their 20 we lost the ball , I thought Navale and Shouppe had good games ,James looked slow, Condon ? , Saab needs to go looking for the ball happy to sit on the wing , Koula still struggling with his shoulder or confidence, would have liked to see Humphrey's/ Humphries either one Lots of talk earlier in the year about him, just needed some individual brilliance to get us over the line

JakeyB789

Reserve Grader
Funny seeing some people content with a 14-0 loss as if for and against matters for us. It would only make a difference if we finished on the same points as the Warriors who just lost by 60 and are in a far worse position than us.

With all the short-sighted and ‘safe’ team selections we make you would think we are a top 4 side yet we are outside the 8 and can barely string back to back wins together. At the very least play to win and name a halfback. Not naming one when you have one available, putting a second rower in there instead and scoring ZERO points is just weak and pathetic, but after 1.5 years of Seibold that is what I have been coming to accept

Rorz

I agree 100%
Can’t blame the players when the head coach can’t come up with a game plan to overcome adversity
Rabbitohs players can visibly seen retreating on the 5th waiting for the one trick bomb
Would’ve been good to mix it up with grabbers, chip kicks and cross field bombs
Someone else said it was one dimensional and have to agree
On the positives, good to see some players who don’t get a lot of first grade exposure get experience
My thoughts anyway
Seibold=Clueless!
I believe we had some promising moments but our attack was not it should be.

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18
15 7 7 28 17